Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? (62900 Views)

Grow Your Plants Without Soil - Grow In The Air / What Are Some Crops I Could Grow In Abia State? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 12:00pm On Sep 27, 2014
Apples grow in cooler temperatures. Jos is cool enough so it depends on where in Nigeria and the type of apple. On seeds.....most fruits from the US are from genetically engineered plants. The seeds will not germinate in Nigeria nor in the US.....cool temperature or not...they will not germinate period...unless they are labelled "organic" which means they are grown naturally. They export apples...why not try export mangoes to the US?....like Haiti? Hatian mangoes...fastest seller hottest price...USD$2.49 - $2.99 each.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by sweetgala(m): 12:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
flyca: Apart from apples, there are many other fruits I've seen here and I wonder why we don't have them in Nigeria.

1. Jujube
2. Persimmon
3. Berries
4. Chestnuts
5. Hawthorn popularly called mountain berries
6. Dragon fruit
7. Lychee
8. Pitaya
9. Jack fruit

Anyone seriously interested in growing then should contact me lets see if we can get them across.

Meanwhile....
Pls agriculturists should see that "Ugili" and "Sour sop" does not go extinct in Nigeria.

Respect!

Jack fruits grow in Nigeria, My cousins in Ibadan have some in their back garden. Thou no as gigantic as the Asian variety.

Dragon Fruits and jujube(dates) can also grow successfully in Nigeria if we research and develop them
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Chinaimporter: 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2014
[size=18pt]PLS HELP ME WITH THIS POST OR PLEASE MOVE IT TO THE FRONTPAGE FOR EASIER ACCESS TO PEOPLE WITH IDEAS[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1922427/general-transcriptional-factor-tgiia-stimulate
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by firestar(f): 12:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
Oh this is better.

1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
ayukdaboss:
Banana? wink shocked

Yes...banana

Does it remind you of anything? undecided
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by onila(f): 12:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
I thot dey are apples in Jos

when I used to live in Naija
I learnt all our apples are grown in Jos
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Alfred200825(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
GowonAbacha: It all boils down to the weather. Apples can't strive in temperate regions. They are mainly grown in europe and america.
wetin europe and america be?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2014
Ok u mean apple Iphone6?? undecided
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by God2man(m): 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
Fellow Nigerians, it is a pity, we do not even understand what God has bestowed upon us. We do not understand that This land is flowing with milk and honey.
All things being equal or if the economy situation is normal, we are suppose to be supplying foods to at least 20 nations.

It is a pity. God will have mercy on us.

Impossibilty is nothing! where do you put Agric technology?

Jos or no Jos, climatic conditions or not, i believe Apples can be cultivated here, Yes, with advance agricultural technology.

God2man.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mikron(m): 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
dellaziz:

you mean magic system ..by koffi olomide or so..premier gauo..by magic system
not by kofi olomide, it is by magic system. i believe they are tololese
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Enesi13: 1:24pm On Sep 27, 2014
no wonder!!! Evn d hybrids in my nebor compound wey i don dey eye all ds years no wan produce fruit only biutificatn, hmmm!!! I'l advice hm to cut it dwn inorder to create space grin
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
GowonAbacha: It all boils down to the weather. Apples can't strive in temperate regions. They are mainly grown in europe and america.
Aboki, see as u cm dabaru everything, na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by uchdollar111: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
Because we don't have the soil. Anyway, why
don't you check out
www.myeventsgallery.com and sign up
before the official launch party!
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mkoabiola: 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
Isnt same apple eaten by adam and eve?
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by adconline(m): 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
himkers:

That's my point. What made it 'dead on arrival?'
Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?
Must everything be based on conspiracy theory?

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by AdeniyiA(m): 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
abeg who get apple, i wan chop...cheesy
no give me Adam&Eve's apples o
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
12. The Anna apple — developed by Isreali Volcani
horticulturist Ephraim Slor and named after his daughter
— is a Golden Delicious-style fruit for cultivation in
areas where winter temperatures rarely drop to
freezing. Most apple varieties need that winter chill to
thrive, but Anna ripens in the early summer and grows
beautifully in hot climates such as Egypt, Indonesia,
southern California and southern Texas.

The Anna apple stands a chance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Pauljonnes(m): 2:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
definitely, it can grow in Nigeria. if I can manage to install a lot of A.C.'s on your farm. lolzzzzzzzzxx
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by IdJack(m): 2:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
There is no fruits that cannot grow in Nigeria... in as much as there is nutrients. also some fruits need a cold temperature to grow well. presently I have place order from China to buy grape and plum seeds to plant in my small garden.

himkers: check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

[size=4pt]**I wish to start growing apples**[/size]
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by leonprince: 2:50pm On Sep 27, 2014
I hv grown apple. It needs serious care and patience even more than children. U can start from either the seed or from the stem. They do best in good conditions, I had to convert a store wen dey were seedlings.

From the seed;
U first hv to check hw good the seeds are by puting them in water. They seeds that sinks down to d bottom of the container are they good ones. U take a cloth soak it in water make it very damp put it in a container then put the seeds and cover them. Put this container with the seed in a refigenrator between 0-4 degrees leave it for abt 14-21dayz. grin this is to enable the seed to over come domancy. If u do it well in the 3rd week it will shoot well all this is the easy part grow it u hav to be very carefull.it takes it abt 10years b4 it starts producing apples. grin

From the stem
The is called grafting is taking the stem and planting it and this produces sweeter apple.

Goggle will give u more information.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
Apple shows how progressive a country is tongue
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by esosuo: 2:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
grin op try it in your fridge as a nursery and see if it will germinate abi no be cold dem say the tin need ? grin
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by esosuo: 2:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Onegai(f): 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
kannymoore:

Nne...

Forget that thing oh! Nigeria is far bigger than you think!!!

I used to spend 26hrs on the road from Lagos to Adamawa during my NYSC... By the time you arrive Numan in Adamawa ehn, your Nyash go don dey so flattened that you'll need a masseuse to mould am back into shape !! grin grin grin

I think it's bad roads and terrain, not actual distance. Ah ah, there are countries that flying halfway across them is a 5-hr trip (driving will be longer), Naija doesn't have anywhere that far by plane.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 27, 2014
alexis007: ...'genetically reset' an apple?are you configuring a phone?abi u dey hack 'CIA' database?...na so dis world don advance reach?...e no get nonsense wey u no go hear for this end-time cry

Lol It's not none sense it's development!
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by bacco2000(m): 3:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
One bigman for our area try to grow this apple then, he brought the seed home from abroad and plant it but na only tree and fresh leaves the thing dey grow ooo, he no bring seed , na when the tree almost tall reach 1storey building without seed na him dem cut down the yeye tree....
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by corlin2(m): 3:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Because yam and cocoyam is already growing here... grin
I really don't know why, I have thought bout it briefly in the past, not like I was bothered anyway...I hate apple!!!
#PENGUINS **IN OFFICER EX VOICE**
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by waledudu(m): 4:00pm On Sep 27, 2014
apples grow in california.. the temperature in cali is just like africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by harrysterol(m): 4:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
autofreak2020: The seeds has be genetically altered, that is why it will not grow here, only genetic engineers or scientist can work on that, do we have such brain in Nigeria? if at all they exist, they are either theoretical or not ready for such research project.
we have such brains, am a geneticist bt wer is d money to carry out such research cry
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by KunAviero(m): 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
himkers:

That's my point. What made it 'dead on arrival?'
Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?
Why do most people just like to display their stupidity and low I.Q openly? Apple is a temperate crop. What that means is that it needs a very cold weather to thrive. It is IMPOSSIBLE to grow it in any tropical place be it Africa, South America, and please try and drop this stupid mentality of we-are-being-cheated. After all some crops can't be grown in temperate regions. God made everything the way it should be so that nobody can have anything both ways.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by LOVEGINO(m): 4:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
Evil Fruit! Curse has been placed on it not to grow anyhow. According to d Holy bible, Shey we all remember dat apple was once among d instrument used for d origin of sin? Tank God Its not rear ooo, cuz Adam n Eve 4 don plenty well well especially 4 Naija.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Yes...banana

Does it remind you of anything? undecided
u a bad gyal...but seriously I'd like to have a chat..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.