Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? (62890 Views)

Grow Your Plants Without Soil - Grow In The Air / What Are Some Crops I Could Grow In Abia State? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by SUGARSON(m): 5:17pm On Sep 27, 2014
AN APPLE THREAD.
A VERY BEAUTIFUL AND ELEGANT FRUIT.
WISH TO HAVE MY APPLE GARDEN ONE DAY.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Paultue: 5:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
@op, I think what you said about the seed being dead on arrival is correct, because the reason for green house farming is to give the required temperate or weather condition to grow a particular plant or crop. If that is the case, the seed are kill before they are shipped to other ccountries for sale. That ensures foreign exchange for the grower countries.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by khukhi(f): 5:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
[quote author=himkers]

another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy[/quopte]

Its due to the climate OP. In SA we can grow apples on certain parts of the country. But u have a longer list of fruit that grows in ur country like Mangoes and Avocados. Maybe u should consider those Op.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Feraz(m): 5:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
LOVEGINO: Evil Fruit! Curse has been placed on it not to grow anyhow. According to d Holy bible, Shey we all remember dat apple was once among d instrument used for d origin of sin? Tank God Its not rear ooo, cuz Adam n Eve 4 don plenty well well especially 4 Naija.
I don't know if you're joking but if you aren't, stop being ignorant. Did the bible make mention of the fruit? Instead of you reading your bible, you wait for interpretation from someone.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 27, 2014
Now I know apple can't grow in Nigeria due to our weather. Plenty heads are greater than one
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
LOVEGINO: Evil Fruit! Curse has been placed on it not to grow anyhow. According to d Holy bible, Shey we all remember dat apple was once among d instrument used for d origin of sin? Tank God Its not rear ooo, cuz Adam n Eve 4 don plenty well well especially 4 Naija.

Quote the place in the bible apple was mentioned as the origin of sin.

Ill be waiting
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by cardoso111(m): 5:51pm On Sep 27, 2014
i have seen it grown in Jos and ate some fruits but it requires a very cold weather!
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Rexyl(m): 6:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
If the main factors (genetic and environment) influencing germination, growth and crop performance are compromised there will be yield failure.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
himkers: check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

[size=4pt]**I wish to start growing apples**[/size]
It can be grown under closely monitored environment. Just that Nigerians are not getting involved with it. There are tropical fruits grown in the west by having roof over the agricultural produces under highly controlled environment.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dayosaurus(m): 8:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
SNOWFALL??

crispgg: Why don't you visit the Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan? If apples can be grown here I'm sure they will know about it.

Also, I'm aware that there is an area called Gembu in Taraba or Adamawa state where some Nigerian big men have apple farms. Heard that the place is cooler than Jos and they do experience snowfall some years.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Elkristo(m): 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
I dnt knw 4 u guys, but we have local apple here in Abia state, its red in color.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Elkristo(m): 8:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
iamord:

Quote the place in the bible apple was mentioned as the origin of sin.

Ill be waiting
abeg ask am
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 8:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
Elkristo: abeg ask am

Don't mind him. I never see him break light
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Drayton: 9:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
dellaziz:

you mean magic system ..by koffi olomide or so..premier gauo..by magic system
Nop its a Nigerian old music. . something like"moji gbele gawu nepa gawu o ah
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by r33d(m): 9:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
crispgg: Why don't you visit the Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan? If apples can be grown here I'm sure they will know about it.

Also, I'm aware that there is an area called Gembu in Taraba or Adamawa state where some Nigerian big men have apple farms. Heard that the place is cooler than Jos and they do experience snowfall some years.

I think apples can be grown if careful research is promoted.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by daxon001(m): 10:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
Somewhere in a remote part of 9ja grin,d 1st man & woman caused wahala 4 mankind by chopping d enticing apple(forbidding).As Jah placed a curse on d world,it made our soil unfit for its growth
. grin
hope dats understandable enough?
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dellaziz(m): 12:42am On Sep 28, 2014
Drayton: Nop its a Nigerian old music. . something like"moji gbele gawu nepa gawu o ah

Lol u jonzin o it's not naija o it's Congolese or so... magic system... premier gau o... is d title
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Maximus17(m): 5:28am On Sep 28, 2014
as for me, one of my aspirations is to be a rice and beans farmer providing supplies to the whole of nigeria and across the shores of Africa. From my little research, i dont think apples will thrive well in the tropics but i know with adequate research,its possible...
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Unionised(m): 6:05am On Sep 28, 2014
himkers: check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

[size=4pt]**I wish to start growing apples**[/size]

It's a PURE fruit.

Germinates only on CORRUPTION FREE soil.

Ask TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL to IMPROVE Nigeria's review and see the wonders it would do the APPLES.

SMH

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by crispgg: 6:51am On Sep 28, 2014
dayosaurus: SNOWFALL??

Oga. Before reading it here,did you even know that a place called Gembu ever exist?

I put here what I was told by a friend who did his NYSC in that locality over 10 years ago. If you have facts to the contrary please provide it instead of displaying your ignorance for all to see.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dayosaurus(m): 8:00am On Sep 28, 2014
Instead of you displaying your ignorance and wallowing in stupidity, why don't you do a little research? . Do you think snow falls for falling sake?. Their is a rationale behind snowfalls, and it's impossible in nigeriĆ .

undecided
crispgg:

Oga. Before reading it here,did you even know that a place called Gembu ever exist?

I put here what I was told by a friend who did his NYSC in that locality over 10 years ago. If you have facts to the contrary please provide it instead of displaying your ignorance for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 28, 2014
himkers:

That's my point. What made it 'dead on arrival?'
Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?
the seeds are not dead . you can germinate it in the refrigerator but it will die after transplant due to harsh temperature
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 28, 2014
felixzo1: appe is mostly propagated by stem cutting, but seeds can germinate too under right conditions. i know somebody with an apple orchard in plateau state. but on a small scale.
my neighbour corper is from jos the have apple tree at their backyard
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 28, 2014
Pancho01: Your question OP is like asking why can't palm trees be cultivated in d north.
point of correction palms are growing in za mFara sokoto and kano
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:48am On Sep 28, 2014
I had an apple tree at my backyard years ago. But it was not the popular red and green species,it was light pink. So apples can defintely grow in Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mamamama2(f): 9:40am On Sep 28, 2014
Genetically mordified organisms GMOs. This is when crops/ plants' DNA are manipulated and some other organisms DNA (eg bacteria, virus, animal or other plants) are placed in the crops DNA. This engineering of DNA could improve the taste, the apperance, it can make it resistance to pests, that means the crops radiates its own pesicide, it can also be weed resistance.
In USA, percentage of GMO in different crops:
Corn :86%, soyabean93%, cotton seed93%, canola( canola oil) 90%, sugar beets(sugar) 95% hawaian pawpaw 80%
All this engineering as a lot of negative effects, the seeds from the crops is almost certainly sterile, so the farmer that plants it needs to keep buying seeds from the engineering company very planting season.
Some scientist also say they could be cancinogenic(spelling), some say they are causing growth of super weeds etc
A lot of people in the know go for organic produce. I'm not a genetist, so you people can research some more

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 10:25am On Sep 28, 2014
mamamama2: Genetically mordified organisms GMOs. This is when crops/ plants' DNA are manipulated and some other organisms DNA (eg bacteria, virus, animal or other plants) are placed in the crops DNA. This engineering of DNA could improve the taste, the apperance, it can make it resistance to pests, that means the crops radiates its own pesicide, it can also be weed resistance.
In USA, percentage of GMO in different crops:
Corn :86%, soyabean93%, cotton seed93%, canola( canola oil) 90%, sugar beets(sugar) 95% hawaian pawpaw 80%
All this engineering as a lot of negative effects, the seeds from the crops is almost certainly sterile, so the farmer that plants it needs to keep buying seeds from the engineering company very planting season.
Some scientist also say they could be cancinogenic(spelling), some say they are causing growth of super weeds etc
A lot of people in the know go for organic produce. I'm not a genetist, so you people can research some more
This is something people are not aware of and these foods are the causes of several health problems including cancer. They are banned in Europe but of course Africa welcomes them with open arms and mouths. No doubt...the bananas etc are all spotless and pretty...very photogenic.....but don't ever expect to get an overripe banana..it voes from ripe to rotten.....black and watery instead of dark gold and mushy. Go vrab one from Shoprite and test it yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by crispgg: 11:57am On Sep 28, 2014
dayosaurus: Instead of you displaying your ignorance and wallowing in stupidity, why don't you do a little research? . Do you think snow falls for falling sake?. Their is a rationale behind snowfalls, and it's impossible in nigeriĆ .

undecided

Wonder why I'm exchanging words with this small boy on a faceless online forum?

Could you explain d rationale please, "Researcher". And brush your teeth before insulting people next time. Maybe better words will slip into your brain.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dayosaurus(m): 12:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
Mr Adult, your aging brain should have told you to be more polite in a faceless forum. Not going about displaying your foolishness. Go get some sleep slowpoke angry
crispgg:

Wonder why I'm exchanging words with this small boy on a faceless online forum?

Could you explain d rationale please, "Researcher". And brush your teeth before insulting people next time. Maybe better words will slip into your brain.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
Drayton: Nop its a Nigerian old music. . something like"moji gbele gawu nepa gawu o ah

Loooool

My dear it's cote d'ivorian french

"On dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou oo..."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by kannymoore(m): 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
Onegai:

I think it's bad roads and terrain, not actual distance. Ah ah, there are countries that flying halfway across them is a 5-hr trip (driving will be longer), Naija doesn't have anywhere that far by plane.

Onegai..
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think that its bad terrain that's the issue here cos most of the federal Roads up north are in far better conditions than their counterparts in southern nigeria.

Naija is just plain bigger than most people think. That's all.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mamamama2(f): 2:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
Originalsly: This is something people are not aware of and these foods are the causes of several health problems including cancer. They are banned in Europe but of course Africa welcomes them with open arms and mouths. No doubt...the bananas etc are all spotless and pretty...very photogenic.....but don't ever expect to get an overripe banana..it voes from ripe to rotten.....black and watery instead of dark gold and mushy. Go vrab one from Shoprite and test it yourself.
So so true, they usually use the big malls to display and sell the WARES.
Went to shoprite, looking for organic baby food, couldn't find any

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.