Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? (62888 Views)

Grow Your Plants Without Soil - Grow In The Air / What Are Some Crops I Could Grow In Abia State? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by tokjohn: 5:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
Watch those who became successful before it's too late!

Like and Share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3V8uIyZq4E
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mayorkyzo: 6:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
Just like bananas don't grow in the UK apples don't grow on nigeria...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by gbengs247: 11:54am On Sep 29, 2014
You can actually grow apple in NIGERIA.
For more info, see this https://www.nairaland.com/1922692/apple-cultivation-nigeria-pictures

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Kushbaba(m): 12:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
Well apple can grow in Nigeria
Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfK9R4nKMc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
felixzo1: apples is a temperate plant.it grows in cold weather, it can grow in jos, carrots grow here,there are lot of pLants dat do not grow tn temperate weather too. eg mangoes

we can recreate the weather in a controlled facility to grow apples provided it does not cost more than importing it.. Imagine doing this and selling it for 20 naira per apple u will make money..

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Drayton: 7:51pm On Sep 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Loooool

My dear it's cote d'ivorian french

"On dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou oo..."
lols. . don't mind me grin
MissMeiya:

Loooool

My dear it's cote d'ivorian french

"On dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou oo..."
lols. . don't mind me.. The song don sweet my body
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by aaidel(m): 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
Kushbaba: Well apple can grow in Nigeria
Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfK9R4nKMc

this video na scam see as the guy use imported apple for introduction come later change am for us. what the second guy is holding is called golden apple or bell apple Syzygium samarangense or water apple not to be confused with Malus domestica which is the apple the first guy is holding the water apples are tropical plants while the malus is not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 29, 2014
Drayton: lols. . don't mind me grin lols. . don't mind me.. The song don sweet my body

I love the song very much, that's why I had to find it grin

It's a very sweet song

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Kushbaba(m): 1:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
aaidel:

this video na scam see as the guy use imported apple for introduction come later change am for us. what the second guy is holding is called golden apple or bell apple Syzygium samarangense or water apple not to be confused with Malus domestica which is the apple the first guy is holding the water apples are tropical plants while the malus is not

May be when you watch the video you will understand: he is only comparing the two of them. Haba how does it turn to scam?

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by ptoall: 1:44am On Dec 06, 2014
I believe we are only giving ourselves partial excuses for not growing apple in Nigeria. I don't see any difference btw the climate of South Africa and Jos, yet you see them plant apple heavily. We just need a few research and we are good to go. Unfortunately, we dont do research here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 01, 2015
himkers:
check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

[size=4pt]**I wish to start growing apples**[/size]

ur chemical injection story is a very stupid one. please investigate n find out why apples can't grow in Nigeria...

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 01, 2015
felixzo1:
appe is mostly propagated by stem cutting, but seeds can germinate too under right conditions. i know somebody with an apple orchard in plateau state. but on a small scale.

very correct...

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Kemewe: 10:11pm On Mar 11, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]Apart from apples, there are many other fruits I've seen here and I wonder why we don't have them in Nigeria.

1. Jujube
2. Persimmon
3. Berries
4. Chestnuts
5. Hawthorn popularly called mountain berries
6. Dragon fruit
7. Lychee
8. Pitaya
9. Jack fruit

Anyone seriously interested in growing then should contact me lets see if we can get them across.

Meanwhile....
Pls agriculturists should see that "Ugili" and "Sour sop" does not go extinct in Nigeria.

I would love to grow persimmon and will do very well in Nigeria because it can tolerate heat. But the problem is how to get the seeds to plant.

Respect![/quote]
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dilla999: 8:21am On Sep 17, 2015
[apples grow in Jos Plateau, currently there is a varietal test at the ASTC farm, an Israeli base technology farm project in collaboration with the Plateau State Govt. Apples are actually temperate crops, the can germinate and grow elsewhere but the temperature most be right for them to fruit.
Just like Irish potato which is just grown in Plateau state and few areas with similar weather such as ogbudu and mambila Plateau.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by whytetyre: 4:16pm On May 19, 2016
felixzo1:
IT will not grow in our weather, even plateau state it does not perform well, it requires a very cold weather
Interesting! How about growing it in a controlled environment.
.. just thinking

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mrvitalis(m): 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2016
KunAviero:
Why do most people just like to display their stupidity and low I.Q openly? Apple is a temperate crop. What that means is that it needs a very cold weather to thrive. It is IMPOSSIBLE to grow it in any tropical place be it Africa, South America, and please try and drop this stupid mentality of we-are-being-cheated. After all some crops can't be grown in temperate regions. God made everything the way it should be so that nobody can have anything both ways.
Just try googling growing apple in the tropics

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by adekzy: 6:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
whytetyre:

Interesting! How about growing it in a controlled environment.
.. just thinking

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzuo6vhbHTAhUH0xQKHZMADi8QFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siliconafrica.com%2Fgrowing-apples-in-africa%2F&usg=AFQjCNFz7DBACjZ_2WyIRgGm3qOyW60PSw&sig2=7AIVsNVRt0bz2-P7gNivOw
Unionised:

It's a PURE fruit.

Germinates only on CORRUPTION FREE soil.

Ask TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL to IMPROVE Nigeria's review and see the wonders it would do the APPLES.

SMH
Maximus17:
as for me, one of my aspirations is to be a rice and beans farmer providing supplies to the whole of nigeria and across the shores of Africa. From my little research, i dont think apples will thrive well in the tropics but i know with adequate research,its possible...
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by sefani(f): 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2018
Any updates on Apple farming in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by uchecliff(m): 12:24pm On Jun 22, 2018
Apple can grow in Nigeria, research on Apple proved successful. It germinate, grows well,
Grows fast than any other fruit plant here in Nigeria. I can produce up to 50 seedl of Apple in one week and days.if it is germinating Apple and growing Apple in NIGERIA, call or e-mail ,maduikeclifford@yahoo.com. 08068270374.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by imhere: 2:01pm On Jun 30, 2018
Apple farming has been a difficult thing not only in Nigeria but West Africa as a whole. But with Wambugu apple Africa can now successfully produce apple in good numbers both for local and international markets

It matures and fruits within 9-14 months and produces up to 2,000 fruits per tree....
http://www.enibest.com.ng/apple-farming/

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by sefani(f): 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2018
uchecliff:
Apple can grow in Nigeria, research on Apple proved successful. It germinate, grows well,
Grows fast than any other fruit plant here in Nigeria. I can produce up to 50 seedl of Apple in one week and days.if it is germinating Apple and growing Apple in NIGERIA, call or e-mail ,maduikeclifford@yahoo.com. 08068270374.
you know how we do it here naa! picture of apple growing in Nigeria or idonbelieveit

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 10, 2018
Wambugu apple from Kenya can grow in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/4605553/potential-power-trees-nigeria

sefani:
Any updates on Apple farming in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iokoli6: 11:44am On Nov 15, 2018
Contrary to most believe, apples can grow in the tropics (in Nigeria to be specific). I and some research colleagues have done extensive work and have been able to grow and maintain four varieties within three species of temperate apples namely Malus domestica “Top Red”, Malus domestica “Cripps Red”, Malus pumila “Pink Lady” and Malus sylvestris “Granny Smith”, actually my farm: Ikol farms (http://www.ikolfarms.com.ng) helps individuals, companies or institutions develop tropically pre-adapted apple seedlings for tree orchards. The major reason why people have failed in this attempt is that most species of apples are self-infertile, that is they require another species or different variety to pollinate them. If you plant just one variety without a matching cross pollination variety,,,you will end up having the flowers just blossom and then wither with no formation of fruits at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by seguno2: 2:06am On Aug 23, 2019
ptoall:
I believe we are only giving ourselves partial excuses for not growing apple in Nigeria. I don't see any difference btw the climate of South Africa and Jos, yet you see them plant apple heavily. We just need a few research and we are good to go. Unfortunately, we dont do research here.

Why don’t we do research here?
Is anyone stopping our government and rich people from doing research?
Should we continue hailing people for just having money instead of hailing them for adding value

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by seguno2: 2:09am On Aug 23, 2019
Unionised:
It's a PURE fruit.

Germinates only on CORRUPTION FREE soil.

Ask TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL to IMPROVE Nigeria's review and see the wonders it would do the APPLES.

SMH

Nice funny twist grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by anonimi: 3:40am On Aug 23, 2019
seguno2:
Why don’t we do research here?
Is anyone stopping our government and rich people from doing research?
Should we continue hailing people for just having money instead of hailing them for adding value

Hmm, the thing tire me walahi.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Onlinefarmstore: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2019
Any body telling you apple ant grow in Nigeria is lying. The both specie can grow just that the green ones does well in not Jos, but the north in general because they are cooled, then the other is a cross breeding of the Israeli and Kenyan that one can do well anywhere.

For more info visit [url]g.page/CheapMarketDeal[/url]
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by lordsanti(m): 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2019
autofreak2020:
The seeds has be genetically altered, that is why it will not grow here, only genetic engineers or scientist can work on that, do we have such brain in Nigeria? if at all they exist, they are either theoretical or not ready for such research project.

Permit me to say that Nigeria/Nigerians have some of the best brains in the world...
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by kennygforlife: 2:54am On Jan 15, 2020
Apple can indeed be grown in Nigeria, am using Delta State as a case study. I experimented with red big Apple and the seeds are germinating within a week. It's a major breakthrough in apple farming in Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Onlinefarmstore: 7:59am On Jan 15, 2020
kennygforlife:
Apple can indeed be grown in Nigeria, am using Delta State as a case study. I experimented with red big Apple and the seeds are germinating within a week. It's a major breakthrough in apple farming in Nigeria.

You come late bros. I have planted it in Agbor, and Illah, and Asaba, currently in Sapele where am experimenting grapes, Strawberries and Carrots with onions
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by tobyemmanuel(m): 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2020
Climate
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by KingAzubuike(f): 6:13pm On Jan 15, 2020
Onlinefarmstore:

You come late bros. I have planted it in Agbor, and Illah, and Asaba, currently in Sapele where am experimenting grapes, Strawberries and Carrots with onions
It might grow but it won't fruit. Stop wasting your time. These are not tropical crops.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.