Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,206 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? (41758 Views)

Truck With Hero Beer Falls In Gboko, Benue State (Photos) / I present to you MY HERO! / Who Is Nigeria's Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by arabbunkum: 7:25am On Oct 01, 2014
Dr Dora Nkem Akunyili
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by kingthreat(m): 7:25am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

Awolowo never had anything to do with Nigerian standards but Yoruba standard...his legacy was to bestow tribalism

In a bid to catch up with igbos on education he introduced quantitative free education

Then out of depression he died a sad man

Rat poisoning and suicide
His widow has been insulted over and over by his tribes men

Now there is impostor trying to mimicking him tinubu

Awo's achievements surpass that of anyone from Biafra.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tonychristopher: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2014
Steadmann:

Ogbeni Tony,

Don't you think it's too early in the morning for this?

Anyway sha, it's your keyboard.

Happy Independence.

Cheers.

My brother

N
How far bro
Its well

I just love this country and everybody

Happy Independence
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tonychristopher: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2014
kingthreat:

Awo's achievements surpass that of anyone from Biafra.

Like that of suicidal and self destruct

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

My brother

N
How far bro
Its well

I just love this country and everybody

Happy Independence

Okay Sir.

Cheers.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Ooh mpa! Where is that hero who thinks he/she is greater that my hero?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Tonylyte(m): 7:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Blaqsmith: Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

A true hero who proposed and propounded the practical of FREE education in Nigeria and worked towards its implementation.

And for the present ones...make I still dey think.
Free education wey only work for south west? No be una d quarrel say gej dey pack money gv him brothers for naija-delta? As far as naija is concern we dont have any hero yet....heroes are the likes of nelson mandela, malcom-x, martin luther king et all.....mugabe is far better than awolowo and his cohorts of indipendient fighters. Balderdash.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tomayira(f): 7:29am On Oct 01, 2014
KEN SARO - WIWA and the other ogonis executed unlawfully by Abacha
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by slap1(m): 7:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tonychristopher: 7:34am On Oct 01, 2014
tsolz400:

I wanted to bash you...
But after reading your comment to the end,all I av got to say is--"ONE LOVE bro"

Chop knuckles Atonle,in the spirit of the independence day celebration...

What will it profit a man if he bash tonychristopher.. the one chosen to bring light to Nairaland

My brother laugh it off...don't take Nairaland serious but take me serious

A glass of brandy for you bro ...the finest. On me

That's it ..let's drink yo independence

Happy Independence
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Blaqsmith(m): 7:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Tonylyte:
Free education wey only work for south west? No be una d quarrel say gej dey pack money gv him brothers for naija-delta? As far as naija is concern we dont have any hero yet....heroes are the likes of nelson mandela, malcom-x, martin luther king et all.....mugabe is far better than awolowo and his cohorts of indipendient fighters. Balderdash.

Should I say u are dumb? No I won't cos Mama told me to always respect peoples' opinion....

When Awolowo gave the free education,was he the president then?
Was south-west not part of Nigeria then?
What was other geographical zones leaders doing while Awolowo was busy working in the South-West?

I need ur answers on my table right away!

6 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tonychristopher: 7:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Tonylyte:

What will you say about me
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 01, 2014
To me its Obasanjo for now,he brought GSM into being & equally fought some currupt governors to their greatest amazement.I rest my case 4 now.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Olutola88(m): 7:40am On Oct 01, 2014
chomaloo: GEJ n 9ja defence n military force for killing abubakar shakeu.
If I may ask, how old are you?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by obayaya(m): 7:41am On Oct 01, 2014
No Nigerian Leader, Past or Present divides opinion like the late General Murtala Mohammed. His 199 days rule as Nigeria's Supreme Commander was the most promising period in Nigeria's history after the war.

His first action as head of state was to scrap the 1973 census, which was weighted in favor of the north, and to revert to the 1963 count for official purposes.

He purged the Civil Service and began demobilization of Nigeria's overbloated Armed Forces. He initiated an expansion of the Private sector into areas dominated by Public Corporation.

His rule was popular amongst the masses. The people had faith in his rule.

Perhaps, his biggest contribution to Nigeria came in the area of Foreign Relations. He adopted the Nigeria first orientation. Nigeria became neutral rather than nonaligned in international politics.

His "Africa has come of age" speech at the OAU was instrumental to the resolution of the conflict in Angola and became a model for Africa's self realization.

He was assassinated on 13th February, 1976.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1747572_20140927092223_jpeg3555561e5199a8935805185c51753331

As a young Officer, His role in the Coups of the 1660's can never be overemphasized. He was the arrowhead in the coup that ousted Ironsi.

As the GOC of the 2nd Division during the Civil War, Murtala Mohammed supervised the massacre of nearly all the male folks from the present day Asaba in cold blood.

He's fondly remembered for his insistence on Amphibious crossing of the River Niger despite recommendations from Lagos that he should wait for the bridge which was being repaired at the time. He finally made the amphibious crossing on the 3rd attempt after failing twice.

General Murtala Mohammed is my hero. Maybe if he was allowed to remain in office for a longer time, Nigeria would've been better for it.

It could be that all he did was initial gra gra, but then we wouldn't know. He was a patriotic Nigeria and gave Nigeria his best. Both as a soldier and as her Head of State.

General Murtala Ramat Muhammed

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by omoondo: 7:41am On Oct 01, 2014
No one
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by VUVUZELA10: 7:42am On Oct 01, 2014
Dr. Adadevoh.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by victorv12(m): 7:42am On Oct 01, 2014
Nzeogwu

Zik

Gani Fawehinmi

Fela

Tia Solarin

Ikemba Ojukwu

Funmilayo Ransom Kuti

Herbert Macaulay

Wole Soyinka

Chinua Achebe

Jimi Solanke
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by adisarasaq(m): 7:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Tonylyte:

You are right about that but what you fail to remember is that Awo was a premier of only south west Nigeria that was why his free education program impacted only westerner

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Oliveronline: 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Ken Saro-Wiwa... Environmental activist murdered by Abacha.
Pa Anthony Enahoro....
Fela Kuti....
Jasper Adaka Boro.....

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by 0merta(m): 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

Awolowo never had anything to do with Nigerian standards but Yoruba standard...his legacy was to bestow tribalism

In a bid to catch up with igbos on education he introduced quantitative free education

Then out of depression he died a sad man

Rat poisoning and suicide
His widow has been insulted over and over by his tribes men

Now there is impostor trying to mimicking him tinubu

Are you implying that the assertions of your hero, Ojukwu are wrong?

Yorubas catching up with Igbos in education? Guy, you well so? Abi hangover dey disturb you? grin grin

Prior to Baba Awo implementing the free education policy in 1954, the Yorubas had been the most educated and enlightened tribe in Nigeria with the best secondary schools, the Yaba Higher College and the University College, Ibadan. A lot of non-yorubas including citizens of other African countries trooped en masse to South west Nigeria to acquire qualitative education.

Baba Awo only consolidated the Yoruba education-leadership status with the free education policy which benefitted Yorubas and a lot of Non-Yorubas including your Igbo Fathers and Mothers.

Happy independence day!

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by timilehing(m): 7:46am On Oct 01, 2014
I am I man of myself, I imitate no one!!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 01, 2014
benjamin adekunle, for being nigeria's napoleon..

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tonychristopher: 7:54am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

Are you implying that the assertions of your hero, Ojukwu are wrong?

Yorubas catching up with Igbos in education? Guy, you well so? Abi hangover dey disturb you? grin grin

Prior to Baba Awo implementing the free education policy in 1954, the Yorubas had been the most educated and enlightened tribe in Nigeria with the best secondary schools, the Yaba Higher College and the University College, Ibadan. A lot of non-yorubas including citizens of other African countries trooped en masse to South west Nigeria to acquire qualitative education.

Baba Awo only consolidated the Yoruba education-leadership status with the free education policy which benefitted Yorubas and a lot of Non-Yorubas including your Igbo Fathers and Mothers.

Happy independence day!

If they were more educated how come igbos were the first Nigerian vice chancellor of university of Ibadan and university of Lagos

Do you see your illogicalities

They could have tapped from their human capital skills

Igbos are more educated then and till now

Thank lord for data and statistics

Even waec neco and GCE has proved this over A decade let's not argue this Oga

Its independence celebration

Drink on me

One nation one people

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by kingthreat(m): 7:57am On Oct 01, 2014
Please no one should come here exalting the genocidal Ojukwu as a Nigerian hero.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by VoteOutPDPJona: 7:59am On Oct 01, 2014
Emulti: me
reasons:
(1) for giving myself power supply
(2) for paying heavily for my security
(3) for struggling nd hustling jst to make a living
(4) for enduring d intimidation nd sufferings imposed on nigerians since 1960. etc
cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 01, 2014

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by kingthreat(m): 8:00am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

Like that of suicidal and self destruct

Stop talking like you take things up your anuus. Awo never killed himself.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 01, 2014
kingthreat: Please no one should come here exalting the genocidal Ojukwu as a Nigerian hero.

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by poweredcom(m): 8:01am On Oct 01, 2014
Lexington steele
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Richdee: 8:02am On Oct 01, 2014
Chris Oyakhilome - He has shown me what it means to be a global success for Christ, irrespective of country of origin or difficulties

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Man's Car In Calabar, As He Goes To Ease Himself Inside Bush / Young Man Poses Inside A Casket (Photo) / Okada Man Carrying Goats In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.