Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. (47150 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? / Four Productive Things You Can Invest Your Time In As An Undergraduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
It is possible to spend ten thousand in a month as a student....The rule of thumb is to learn how to cook...In my last semester in school I spent 30,000 in six months which I used for feeding,asssignment and my projects.You should also stop keeping girl friends and drinking alcohol.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Fkhalifa(m): 3:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
same here i find 10k short for me in a month,hopefully dz final and project stuff ill inject some money......

see what our girls have turned to,every1 is scared to relate with them cos of money nawao LOL

your fellow guys ill drink garri with you happily,may God help the Nigerian undergraduate struggling ameen.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 10, 2014
sunnyotunsman:
And this 10k that is your monthly allowee is a daily pocket money of fashola's basic 2 son.My brother,10k is not manageable for a month.Na bad rulers cause am.But,how your father go admit 4 of you into university?Why not just you and one of your siblings,then let the rest wait till you graduates?
wic kind mentally u carry put for head? haba! wait til he graduates bfor d odas goav hear ursef! u must b a guy!
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by ridgcity: 3:48pm On Nov 10, 2014
well if that 10k is for feeding only then you are lucky because my own 10k is for everything handout,food ,cloth,transport,tithe,offering.
WHAT i do is outline every thing i think i need for the month. e.g a pair of shoes, carton of indoemie, long sleeve shirt etc
after that you go on to apportion how much you want to save out of that money cause thats the best way to start.
then remove another sum for feedind and then transport. then go back to each section and begin to select the most important dont be too emotional to remove costly things cause at the end it keeps you safe for the week .
for more details on that
whatsapp me
victor
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by shoczy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 10, 2014
gv ur babe make she help u keep am... wink
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by priscillawill(m): 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
golor:
Pls nairalander's help me with a good suggestion on how to manage 10k a month.im a student of uniuyo,even with my provision,i still find it difficult to manage 10k allowance monthly.lyk dis semester i came wit an ideal of not cooking soup cause i think soup consume a lot of cash. i do eat soup outside why i cook rice,indomie and beans in my house.i stop cooking soup cos 1. I don't know how to cook. 2.i don't eat a soup dat has sleep more than two days and 3.it consume a lot of cash.pls i need ur sincere advice and idea.
ur money self gud, i skul in ghana. My own na 15k including exercise book, handout,dues e.t.c, garri,sugar,milk,rice,canned tomato,oil, and make sure when u dey come from house carry the carryables an nor bi everytime person dey chop in a day, i just use my 3days stew cook rice just now
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2014
pinky21:
How now. Pls how do I erase d post
U can't!
Its gonna stick on u like flies on shyte cool

It shouldn't bother u though, u made contribution & u owe no one apology cool
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by DaBullIT(m): 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
[size=50pt]I take it that he doesn't drink[/size]!

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by pomsky: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
stagger:

Hmm, na wa o.

First, as a student you have to learn to cook. Then you have to get a table top fridge and a "I pass my neighbour". Why do I say this?

Cooking saves you a lot of cash. You can make soup that will last you 2 weeks with 2k.

Meat: 1 kilo: 1000
Egusi: 2 cups: 200
Pepper: 50
Crayfish: 50
Vegetable: 100
Palm oil: 240 for half a bottle which will last you long. You can also use this to eat yam once in a while.
Maggi: 10
Stock fish (wrapped): 200 (I consider this a luxury though but you can add it).
Garri: 1 mudu: 150 (3 mudus can last you a month)

TOTAL: 2,000

Alternate it with yam and palm oil and fried egg. Occasionally, fry plantain and add to rice and stew. Stew can also be made with even less than 2k. You can also make beans and drink gari with it. You should be very dexterious and learn how to plan your feeding which as a student, is your most important expense. You need a well nourished body to withstand the rigors of studying.

This your concept of not eating soup that has lasted more than 2 days is ridiculous. I had a roommate who used to cook soup that will last 2 weeks and he did not have a fridge. Today he is a Member of the House of Reps (2 terms). You should also learn how to cook.

Suffer initially, enjoy later. All of us passed through this stage and I schooled in a town where I had no relations. There was nothing like GSM, online banking or emails/internet in my era, so if your money ran out, the only solution was to travel home to get it. Yet I survived just like everyone else of that era did.

......very good response. Just posted this question about a week ago to my17yr old inlaw living with me, asking her how she would manage her allowance if all she got was 8k a month after gaining admission. Just wanted to pick her brain. Infac t, she got stuck mentally. I was amazed cos i know there r those that don't get more than 5k monthly, and go thru school. Though personally, believe 20k should be well adequate for monthly allowance for a student. One shouldn't get 20k monthly, and suffer as a student.
Life is quite interesting, when i look back and remember what my allowance was in 1989 when i entered uni . It was N300. I remember i went to buka the first time and struggled to finish eating N1 porridge. Oh' i thought to myself, " i go chop quench !". 1994, upon graduation and serving in Ibadan, 3 yam tubers cost btw N17 to N20 for all 3. Things have really changed!
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by DaBullIT(m): 4:05pm On Nov 10, 2014
pomsky:

......very good response. Just posted this question about a week ago to my17yr old inlaw living with me, asking her how she would manage her allowance if all she got was 8k a month after gaining admission. Just wanted to pick her brain. Infac t, she got stuck mentally. I was amazed cos i know there r those that don't get more than 5k monthly, and go thru school. Though personally, believe 20k should be well adequate for monthly allowance for a student. One shouldn't get 20k monthly, and suffer as a student.
Life is quite interesting, when i look back and remember what my allowance was in 1989 when i entered uni . It was N300. I remember i went to buka the first time and struggled to finish eating N1 porridge. Oh' i thought to myself, " i go chop quench !". 1994, upon graduation and serving in Ibadan, 3 yam tubers cost btw N17 to N20 for all 3. Things have really changed!

[size=22pt]
Bros don't turn your in law to Olosho [/size]
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Timijo(m): 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
You just have to cut your coat according to the available material. Don't buy what you want but buy what you need. Don't keep girl friends, if you do, you can't have savings.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
abbeyberry:

You deserve to be Nigeria minister of Finance and Cordinator of the economy, you better pass Okonjo Nweala...

Bottom line, your akagum no get rival .

Hahahaha... grin grin grin
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
yemi2plus:

Yes! I'm a student of KSU.

You will agree with me that things are a bit expensive here as compare to SW and part of SS.

A 10KG bag of rice goes for 2,000Naira here in Anyigba and when measure with a rubber used in Benin, it's just two rubbers. Now, that same 2,000Naira will get me three rubbers of rice and some cups in Benin.

I gbadun ur economic calculations as sapele man dey gbadun starch and banga

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Ijawboi(m): 4:14pm On Nov 10, 2014
engrfemi:
0 mumu.. Abi u wan say 1.5k :-)
just because say ur parents poor no mean say everybody u c come frm average family.

Peasant
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Ijawboi(m): 4:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
Zedric:

Cool story. Y are u telling us?

PEASANT.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by pigin: 4:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
@Op, You just have a wicked parents!!! imaging 10k a month in this 10 miserable k, you type your assignments from em , barbe your hair, buy kerosene to cook your beans as suggested by some people above me and some other things students do in school. my candid advise leave school and go learn handiwork til your parents increase your allowances to 15k.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
yomi007k:

Take "jedi" instead. E nor easy not 2 shak or womanize o.

Wa sere paddy me
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by unilever(m): 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
The main thing is to learn to cut your coat according to your size. Hope u were o9nce a student of Economics in your secondary school. Try to know the different between what you want and what you need. Use scale of preference regularly and you are sure to cope really well
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Olypeppy(f): 4:21pm On Nov 10, 2014
U dey get up to 10k a month.hmmm.come let me teach how to manage 4k a month.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Busieman(m): 4:21pm On Nov 10, 2014
You are lucky to have a daad that can afford 10k aa month. You gats be a man. Once I left for school wth tfare and some stuffs I don't look back home until the end of the semester. Today I can say I am a graduate.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by godG: 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2014
pigin:
@Op, You just have a wicked parents!!! imaging 10k a month in this 10 miserable k, you type your assignments from em , barbe your hair, buy kerosene to cook your beans as suggested by some people above me and some other things students do in school. my candid advise leave school and go learn handiwork til your parents increase your allowances to 15k.

STF! They aren't wicked. His parents won't do more than they can. Do you think every reasonable parent won't want the best for their wards? We all can't be from a privileged background.

Dear OP, this is the rule, don't ever spend more than 300 daily! However you are going to do that is your business. Yes, for three sessions, I spent exactly that amount in Ife. Well, I had no GF; didn't rally cook; didn't take bike to classes; lived in conservative Awo Hall and I was just fine. I had a 'salary' increment only when I was in my final year.
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by vosquare: 4:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
dz is a conversation btw me,my padi and a grl

grl:having a bf sef no favour me again...i spend more than expected

padi:how much is ur mnthly allowance

grl:20k...its nt even enough 4 me

me:20k no dey enough?...damn

grl:yea...

Padi:d highest money my parents has gven me is 6k and its nt monthly

me:mine x 5k

grl: shocked serious?.,..even d last time my dad sent 10k i was like whats dz

me:ur dad is tryin sha..maybe because u r a grl...i dnt even complain abt d money dy gv me...i knw if dy had d money dat tym,it wuld hv bin beta

padi:yea...i have siblings so i think dey shuld reali face dem more while i hustle mysef

grl:u guys are trying o...6k?...i stl dnt bliv u

padi:what do u mean

grl:if sum1 sees u outside dy wil tink u guys are rich

me:lolz...i'm nt rich yet bt i look fresh everidae

grl:dats wat im saying...no sign of suffering in u 2...i wish i could knw hw 2 manage lyk u ppl o

padi:its by Gods grace

grl:hmm..oya hw do u cope

me:my transport 4 a week is 300,i kuk soup 4 250

grl:2 wat?

Me:250

grl:hw

me:i buy pepper 4 100 and 2 shawa(fish) 4 150 and it last 4 a week or 5days

grl: *shakes head*

padi:i even hav a grlfriend bt im hapi she undastands me

me:i dnt kuk d soup everyweek bt at least once in a month...i'm stil surviving...i dnt buy useles tinz also...its God sha

grl: oga o

padi:2 me,its nt suffering...both of us eat at least twice a day na plus garri...dats nt suffering

me:nd its nt monthli...sumtymz it takes me a mnth nd a week b4 i cal house and dat doesnt mean im stingy....i gv money a lot nd buy tinz 4 my guys bt yet i have no regret over it. My foodstuffs is the main thing...garri can never finish in my room...garri is d number food...no garri no life...i can drink garri 3rice a day or 5times. And rice,spag,beanz and indomie and we stil survive

grl: ha!

Padi:na so

me:we kuk vegetable soup when one of us win bet or got d money 4rm a maga or so.

I think i'm done...grin grin

@op school life is the best,adapt to it once and 4 all nd u wil adapt in any condition u find ursef...try 2 manage...y did u dnt lyk soup afta 2days?..is it because of d same taste?...dude,u can change ur taste every 2 2 days

dont take bike anyhw both at ur hall and at d school compound...learn 2 walk far distance...al those 50naira bike na sumtin...gather 50naira 3rice dats 2 bags of purewater with change..

Dnt always buy al those sousage roll,egg rol,lacasera,poff poff,viju etc

learn 2 plan ur day,ur week and ur mnth...see after that 5k allowance,i remuv 1500 frm it...500 4 tithe in my fellowship and 1k 4 dashing...as in..giving out...if i gv sum1 200 naira 2dae,i remuv it 4rm d 1k,and when it finishes...i dnt have money 2 gv unless its important...jst find a way 2 manage
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Sowl(m): 4:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
uglyogre:

babe or no babe, 10k is just too small for a student to spend in a month!
@ OP,i understand not all fingers are equal, so if that is the best ur parent can afford, then pls manage it. You can start by selling recharge card in your hall of residence and your department. That way, you have a source of renewable resource to last you for a month. it aint easy but you'll sail through.You can also try yemiplus2 advice. All the best
thumbs up to you for a well thought of advice,that aside though your name is a tautological expression,I think I like the concept grin

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Jasi7(m): 4:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
nitlad:

I take umbrage at this insensitive comment. angry

It peeves me no end when indigent hillbillies from firewood and akamu background go about deriding others like say dem dey mint money for dian crevice.

Were you born with a silver spoon in you mouth? Perhaps you were clutching it in you hand?

Do your parents give you $10m/day as pocket money?

Are you an only child?

The OP is only asking for how best to utilize what his parents give him, or does he come across to you like a person not being taken care of?

If you cannot answer all the above in the affirmative, then it's better you keep schtum and keep your 'family planning' counsel to yourself. You unprivileged epitome of misfortune and penury!

Ther was a time I mentioned you in a thread,I was tryna tel u that I remember u because we had a brawl over d insults u heaved on mzmariah and u said it wasnt true and that you are known to b chaste and clear minded person around NL without insultive intensions and I told myself that u must have forgotten so I kept mute

Now u want to put sum1 in line with what is being discussed becos he said sumtin rash other than contribution and u called him him ''unpriviledged epitome of misfortune and penury''......and YES ure very well seen around here as clear minded and non-insultive jst like uve shown...

No offense!!!
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Muzikluva(m): 4:59pm On Nov 10, 2014
edozie04:
Divide that 10K into 5,spend not more than 2k a week and save the remaining 2k,with ur provisions tat 2k shld be more than enough
easier said than done.aint so easy
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by nicxguy(m): 5:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
yemi2plus:
This is how I have been coping.

I'm a student of a government owned school in Kogi state while I reside in Benin. When going to school, I pack as many food stuffs as possible, as in, I carry anything carry-able; rice, beans, eggs, indomine, cream, gum, toothpick, super glue, pen, writing books, e.tc.

Normally, I break my trip; Benin - Auchi - Okene before the last bus to my school to save some change on transportation, but with the many foodstuff I use a direct bus and pay some change for the loads.

When I get to school, I don't buy anything I don't need, apart from fresh tomatoes, fresh fish, and red paper I have all the required items to make soap and stew. I eat twice a day, at times, just once before I go to sleep. Not like I don't wanna cook, but some times, I have GSTs courses in the morning (I leave my lodge very early to secure front seat) and core course ends by 6PM or 7PM. I spent money mostly on water as they lack water here, a keg goes for 20Naira to 30Naira. Also, my house is VERY from school and my friends who should normally come to eat at my place at times gets discourage by the long distance. Most importantly, I'm single and not searching. Ladies could be crazy, they beg for anything like paying their photocopy fee and many more, for me, I don't give money out unless when the person in question deserves it.

I hope this help?
dats the key bros 4 me i do xme too if u see me goin bk to sch u go mercy 4 me cos i do pack many tns so i do cook every day hav my ingrdnt so y wnt i manage 10k a month
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by tmanis(m): 5:04pm On Nov 10, 2014
Dear God, deliver me from
-recharge cArds,
-laCasera and gala..
embarassed
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by eddyline(m): 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2014
schooling in a place like uyo, it might be quit difficult to live on 10000 monthly. What my brother who schools in Jos does is to carry as much foodstuffs as he can when leaving home. his hostel is close to a market where he gets vegetables at a cheap rate. he prepares stew with which he eats virtually everything from boiled yam to even eba when situation becomes critical. him can't fit maintain gf for now sha. plus They sometimes share their not too important materials with his coursemate to save costs. with that sha, him de survive on d small change Wei I take de send am
Re: Please I Need Suggestion On How To Manage 10k A Month As An Undergraduate. by Jiteshell(f): 5:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
pigin:
Seriously? Everyone is not the same, that's probably what they can afford. Have been receiving less and am almost done with school and it has been more than sufficient for me. Op just needs to learn how to manage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abel Idowu Olayinka & President Macron: Student Blasts UI VC For Insensitivity / Missing Letter 'W' At WAEC Office In Yaba, Lagos (Pictured) / Nollywood Actor 'AGUBA' Is Homeless (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.