Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,621 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44622 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by DavidDylan(m): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

according to Davi, cancer patients arent allowed to wear wigs cry

Well cancer patients are an exception. You have hair, why wear a wig?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Classigal(f): 8:02pm On Nov 24, 2008
whats up musicsoulchildren?? grin
Very interesting thread but am in a hurry now am off to the salon to get a weave smiley grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2008
milknhoney:

Seriously I'm starting to believe the Original Poster is a Born-Again African.
I mean who seriously preaches about {Nubian} this and {Nubian} that.
Who is this {Nubian} anyway??
He is obviously a proclaimed (westerner) trying to get in touch back with his {African} roots.
Nubian ko, [i](old)[/i]bian ni.

No he's Nigerian.He wrote clearly in Igbo in one of his responses and email address is an Igbo last name.
This is the first time I'm seeing a Nigerian carrying on with this nubian craze
I thought it was a battle for the sheniquas and Tyrones of the world
how wrong I was
The Chukwudi's and Kunle's have been infected with this akata virus too
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 8:07pm On Nov 24, 2008
probably dating a Kwanzaa obsessed akata.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 8:11pm On Nov 24, 2008
Where my true natural nubian sistas at!

I can't see you!

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 8:13pm On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

probably dating a Kwanzaa obsessed akata.

have you had people wish you happy kwanzaa?
One of my husband's colleagues,a white lady o many years ago gave my kids a  kwanzaa Christmas story book for a gift.
I didn't even open the stupid book before throwing into the trash with the rest of my garbage.
Kwan wetin?
kwanza ko,banza ni
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 8:19pm On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

Where my true natural nubian sistas at!

I can't see you!

I can walk into lady Ayesha's hair shop today with a polythene bag of unknown contents and walk out 3 hours later looking like any of the pictures you posted there.
Big deal
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2008
Um excuse me, I don't know where you're getting your info but not all africans are Nubians. Nubians are the oldest recognized african civilization but we're not all Nubians. That's a specific ethnic group that actually still exists today. It's very African-American-ish to be saying something like that as though no real identity exists. I don't need to search for an identity, I know where I'm from and thank God I know where my ancestors are from. I don't know what your upbringing was or where it was to have resulted in such racial identity-consciousness. I grew up in Nigeria and none of the Nigerians I know feel the need to constantly reassure themselves about their race or to do things to make them black enough or whatever. I think more about my nationality and my ethnic groups than I do about my race because it's not really an issue for me.  

Africa and Nigeria are eurocentric descriptions that we have accepted without question and even this english were are communicating with is a residual effect of colonization. I use the term nuba/nubian to describe what is today Africa just like our ancestors did and within nubia i come from the land of biafra. I reject whitey's description of who i am. I have dignity.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 8:33pm On Nov 24, 2008
Next thing you'll say Africans should only wear African fabric, that Western clothes are a sign of oppression of our colonial masters or something, and that our traditional fabrics should only be sewn in traditional styles none of this new-fangled ankara outfits.

Before nko.

You see english man dey wear agbada for england?
The colonial conquest has left the so-called african with a double consciousness that's why we do everything in two's.

-2 weddings; one with a hollow tradition flare the other in european stylee,

-2 languages; native and colonial,

-2 food categories; native and euroasian,

-2 clothing styles; native and western,

-2 spiritual systems; native and middle eastern,

etc etc etc what a joke.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Gamine(f): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2008
@Nd.gfx

thanks man!

yeah! we are the natural ones!! we rock!!!  grin

Self hate Ko!

If you like keep enjoying "omg your eyes are really green!" compliments. corrective ko. punishment ni

this got me laughing, some people have those natural colors, big deal!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 8:48pm On Nov 24, 2008
You don't know enough about each individual person to just judge them by their hair. It's like judging someone by their skin or nationality. Are all black people the same? Are all Nigerians the same? Even if you get to my ethnic group, are we all the same? Do we all like the same things? Have the same thoughts and ideas? Are your feelings the exact same as that of even your siblings?

Yes, taste and personality does vary from person to person but when almost every sista adopts the same love for fake straight hair and perms then that pervasive similarity in taste must have a common source of influence derived through the agents of socialization of which most of them are unaware of as a result of psychological programming. And i have come to reveal that cause which is self-hate .
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2008
*osisi:

I can walk into lady Ayesha's hair shop today with a polythene bag of unknown contents and walk out 3 hours later looking like any of the pictures you posted there.
Big deal

See her mouth, you wish.

Your probably going bald and loosing brain cells due to perms and the heat from the dryer.

hahaha
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Hauwa1: 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Ndipe(m): 9:08pm On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

To all the nubian sistas in the continent and diaspora;

It is past due time to let go of the weaves, wigs and perms.

These acts, and love, of fakeness have far reaching consequences that is not readily realizable to the narrow minded whom engage in such demeaning acts.

-It is a health risk: these relaxers, moisturizers, texturizers and all that other crap that you dump on your hair( to alter the nine ether structure) are all loaded with toxins and carcinogens which seep into your blood stream via the scalp. 

-Economically unsound: it contributes to financial capital flight out of our communities and into the asian(korean especially) communities,

-Sacrilegious: it involves the desecration of the temple of "God"([/i]your body) and therefore it's immoral; hence, punishable,

-[i]Psychological defect
: It is a subconscious expression of self hate and a deep seated sense of inferiority complex that gets passed on to your seeds through the[b] agents socialization[/b]; this makes it a psychological problem that must be tackled head on,

-Counter-productive: all these cosmetics, surgery and other miscellaneous techniques and ingridents you apply on your person in a futile attempt to "beautify", does not make you any prettier rather it diminishes your true natural beauty. These treatments make you go bald before 40yrs.

Stop embarrasing and deceiving yourselves and have some dignity for a change.

Stay real and natural.

Stop using the computer and internet, it was founded by the white man. Or rather, cancel your subscription to these internet services that are white owned companies. Practise what you preach.

Limit your intake of food consumption to Eba and Egusi soup and other Nigerian staple. Shun Foreign food, because you are pouring your money into the white coffers.

Dont dish out your advice in English Language, but have confidence and type it in your native dialect. If there is a problem with conveying your message to others, then by all means translate it.

And by the way, please show us a verse in the Holy Bible that specifies that one should not wear wigs.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2008
My point goes to those that arent naturally born with such colors, gamine. Duh. My won PERSONAL pet peeve is the colors people use in regards to either contacts, weaves, etc. Other than that, whatever. free world but hey na their own

I can walk into lady Ayesha's hair shop today with a polythene bag  of unknown contents and walk out 3 hours later looking like any of the pictures you posted there.
Big deal

Are you minding the dork? Any idiot knows that most dreads have horse hair added to them.

he just destroyed his own stupid point with those pics
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by whatever90(f): 9:51pm On Nov 24, 2008
poster kill yourself,if u want to,just made a new hair today,and im feeling high cool

i guess u prefer girl wt reggae hairs(dreads)oniranu oshi
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 24, 2008
I can't even stand dreadlocks. A single hairstyle from year to year, what a bore.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by afrofemme(f): 10:57pm On Nov 24, 2008
smiley Interesting yet always controversial topic.  smiley

I keep my hair short and natural because that's what works for me i.e. it suits me, it's cheap & convenient. I live in South Africa and here the natural look (be it dreadlocks, afro, cropped and even bald) is still considered to be 'fashionable' by many women, though the numbers are dwindling fast!

For most, how one 'wears' their hair depends one's personal taste, just the same way we choose the style and brand of clothes we wear. I'd like to believe that women who perm, relax,weave or wear wigs do so because they like it and those who don't like it don't do it.

I think it becomes self-hatred when the sisters who do weave/perm ridicule those who choose to keep theirs natural, because they're clearly denying their own 'roots'! wink
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:06pm On Nov 24, 2008
Um excuse me, I don't know where you're getting your info but not all africans are Nubians. Nubians are the oldest recognized african civilization but we're not all Nubians. That's a specific ethnic group that actually still exists today.

Modern nubia is not the same as ancient nubia both in terms of demography and geography; just like modern day Ghana is different from the Ghanian empire of 750-1076 AD.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 11:10pm On Nov 24, 2008
stillwater:

I can't even stand dreadlocks. A single hairstyle from year to year, what a bore.

Lol. I only like it on one woman.

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:14pm On Nov 24, 2008
Imitating what ?
why is it that it's always you men telling us women what's good for us
You'll tell women to wear hijabs compulsorily or get arrested,don't wear trousers,don't perm our hair,don't straddle an okada, don't wear make up,don't wear weaves and,wear a burqua.
What is about u that makes you folks so concerned about our appearance?
we don't care if you grow your bia bia to 1 foot,we don't care if you grow out your sideburns like a castrated chia pet.We don't even care whether you have a pot belly,or receeding hair line, we just won't date you
Please be so kind to do same to us.
Keep away from girls whose hairstyles are not to your taste but don't tell us what or what not to wear on our hair and everywhere else.

Well, i know that if a black man wears a wig or weave designed for man to conceal his baldness or for style or for what ever reason, you sistas will taunt him to an early grave.

so why the double standard?  What is good for the geese is good for yolanda abi?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

Lol. I only like it on one woman.

Not everyone has a pretty face to carry it. Example little. Wayne grin

Most Nigerians that go the natural route do it for religious sentiments wherein they consider it [i]"ungodly"[/i]giving any mind to enhance their appearance (e.g Deeper life sisters). They don't even do it for any "black power" ideology that insecure people have to scream before they can take pride in themselves.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by DavidDylan(m): 11:18pm On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul, those women you put up have dreadful hair-dos.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:22pm On Nov 24, 2008
Are you minding the dork? Any idiot knows that most dreads have horse hair added to them.

he just destroyed his own stupid point with those pics

Chie! na bad belle go kill una finish.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:25pm On Nov 24, 2008
Stop using the computer and internet, it was founded by the white man. Or rather, cancel your subscription to these internet services that are white owned companies. Practise what you preach.

Limit your intake of food consumption to Eba and Egusi soup and other Nigerian staple. Shun Foreign food, because you are pouring your money into the white coffers.

don't dish out your advice in English Language, but have confidence and type it in your native dialect. If there is a problem with conveying your message to others, then by all means translate it.

And by the way, please show us a verse in the Holy Bible that specifies that one should not wear wigs.

I do pratice what i preach.

I have 4yrs left to withdraw from this abormination called modernity. No lie.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 24, 2008
We wish you good luck. We surely won't miss you grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by milknhoney(f): 11:32pm On Nov 24, 2008
stillwater:

I personally am not one to advocate dreadlocks for the fact that I just never found the hair style appealing.
The only man that I personally feel can really pull of the look goes to: Jeff Johnson, The BET Reporter.
His are always intact and nicely styled.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:41pm On Nov 24, 2008
afrofemme:

I think it becomes self-hatred when the sisters who do weave/perm ridicule those who choose to keep theirs natural, because they're clearly denying their own 'roots'! wink

My nigerian sistas are long gone. They are like the worst when it comes to self-hate. They taken this whole wig/weave/perm craze to a whole new level of idiocy. They now see it as a symbol of refinement and higher socioeconomic status.

In the area where i grew up,  Enugu, these sistas loose their plaited and braided hair immediatedly after secondary school. If not that perms and weaves are not allowed in secondary schools they would have switched to fakeness much earlier on in life.

By the way, i have never ever seen an Igbo woman with dreadlocks. what's up with that?

Efulefu.

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by milknhoney(f): 11:46pm On Nov 24, 2008
Man, so you are Nigerian. Igbo too.
Nwoke'm ooo were nwanyo.

Na gwa'm onye bu {Nubian}??
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 11:53pm On Nov 24, 2008
DavidDylan:

fayahsoul, those women you put up have dreadful hair-dos.

Isn't your wife/fiance/girl a whitey?

You have made it clear from previous posts that you find white females more attractive than nubian sistas so you know nothing about true nubian beauty.

keep your critiquing to ya self.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 11:57pm On Nov 24, 2008
Im so glad the loon isnt Yoruba.

we have enough embarrassing psychos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos: Am The Most Handsome And Decent Nairalander, Your Take / Cute Ankara Style / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.