Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44665 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2008
I love my weave because it looks good on me. I love my hair. I had my natural hair out for 3 weeks until I got my weave on thursday. Self hate will not go that far. It depends on what I'm comfortable in. As long my family, my guy and my God are not complaining, I'm fine with it. The truth about it is that there are so many other things you could tackle before hair. It's doing me a lot of good. I don't hate myself. . . I absolutely love my real hair but it's easier for me to have this in. If you have a problem with it, keep your opinions to you and your immediate surroundings. I don't think you have any right to attack us for this.

The well being of my nubian sistas is great concern to me and it is my duty to sound the alarm when they engage in self-destructive acts. I will voice my opinions and concerns through out the globe at every chance i get and with the aid of the internet whether you like it or not. If i get a least just one sista to desist from this abormination of self-hate i will consider my mission a success.

I was talking about moisturizers. . . you are talking about perm. You said too many moisturizers is not good. Please don't tell me you're walking around all ashy white. Perming is using chemicals, fine. but if that is the only thing that makes me appear responsible and not mad, I'm happy.

News flash: Any ingredent that comes in contact with the pores in your scalp or skin is capable of penetrating it and entering your blood stream. Most of these products we use in the name of personal hygeine or beauty or loaded with toxins and carcenogins. Avoid defiling your temple by using right knowledge to make right decisions.

The Nigerian government is not complaining. Do you know how many hairdressers make money off weaves and braids? It's a source of income for both the people and the government. If everyone was natural, watch and see many more jobless, hungry people on the streets. Why are you complaining on their behalf. Did someone steal your costumers by telling them to get weaves or something?

The tobacco and alcohol industries also maintain large functionaries that increases GDP but the end does not justify the means. Is it logical for society to increase employment at the expense of the health of its citizens? Don't you know that health is wealth?

Tell me where God said that we should add nothing to our hair and I'll agree. He said tattoos, I didn't see bleaching, i didn't see facelift, i didn't see perms. These are moral issues that you have with women and you're just trying to pass them off as gospel truth. I hate it when people try to put their beliefs across using God. It's blasphemy.

Na wa o, does the bible have to spell every single thing out for you? By mere extrapolation you should know that if the bible says that tatoos are an abormination then things like bleaching, facelifts and perms that are even more extreme alteration should equally be wrong. I am spiritual, not religious, but i use the bible any chance i get because i know that the mental faculty of most nubian is under the control of religion and they are likely to be convinced of an argument when proof is drawn from their holy texts. Though the bible says nothing about smoking, You don't need the bible to tell you that smoking is a sin because it's suicidal. Hair treatment is a health risk and therefore is an aborminable act.

Normal hair is not bad. We just like it. Deal with it or get a job. White people get weaves too. Do they hate themselves. They get perms too and they even get their hair coloured so how is this a black thing?

More evidence of colonial mentality. Just because whitey hates herself is no justification for the nubian sista to indulge in self hating practices. And this is not about whitey or asians or semites, let them deal with their own issues in their own way, with their abundant human resources and in their own time. I really can't careless if they do. This thread is targeted at our lost nubian sistas whom i am corncerned about.

Apparently you got none.
I'm done replying you. I can see you're one of those grounded in their stubborn beliefs.

Oh i am the stubborn one huh? No need running away from your problems, you have to run towards it and deal it them. This is a topic that most sistas dread for obvious reasons. They just scared to face the fact that they are living an obvious lie and think that real brothers can't see right through their fakeness and BS. Funny enough, it's these same weave wearing perm loving sistas that are first to shout: "I need a real man!" How can you get one when every thing on your person is fake from hair to nails to skin tone to eye brow to eyelashes to nails to attitude and so on.

And please don't reply because i am seeking to reach out to only the redeemable sistas around.

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 7:53pm On Nov 23, 2008
@ savanaha

Bs. how can girls with natural hair be "hos" when most black people men and women think that the whiter you look the better you are. Most people that go natural are often seen as the radicals not assimilating to the norms and earthy. Most "hos" on the other hand want to look cute with the crazy colorama weaves and what not.

I don't get why when people say things with relevance even history can attest to they are seen as elevating themselves on a "pedestal" (pedastool). Virgins are also seen as acting holier than thou and what not.

Sistas like you give me joy and hope.

bless,

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2008
Since the OP has started the whole "nubian" crap, I now know he's not worth responding to.

tpia:

another white chasing black man overly concerned about black women's hair.

aka another foreign women chasing Naija dude telling Nigerian women to go natural.

Both types of black males spend a lot of time admiring long silky hair on other races however.

I tell you. Those dudes you see with "oh my nubian princess/african queens" blah freaking blah lines are some of the biggest manwhores ever. I cant bloody stand them.

Only thing I personally see as self hate is YES GAMINE, colored contacts. Also add blonde weaves on black women. Now that's someone with issues. Anything else, it's just women looking for ways to make their hair styles versatile.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by bawomolo(m): 11:34pm On Nov 23, 2008
i honestly don't see what's self hating about colored contacts. these are all objects of personal preference. sad people feel threatened by individualism.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by DavidDylan(m): 11:41pm On Nov 23, 2008
how is this a political issue? shocked
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 12:04am On Nov 24, 2008
stfu bawomolo.

hai rextension is self hating but using colors that majority of black people arent born with in their eyes isnt?

same way blond weaves dont make sense, neither is blue eyes on a black person with no ties to racial mixing.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by bawomolo(m): 12:29am On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

stfu bawomolo.

please take that bitchy attitude somewhere else.

hai rextension is self hating but using colors that majority of black people arent born with in their eyes isnt?

i never said this so why put words into my mouth.

same way blond weaves don't make sense, neither is blue eyes on a black person with no ties to racial mixing.

blond weaves and colored contacts make no sense to YOU, good for you. as for the people that choose to have them, good for THEM. contacts aren't a permanent alteration to someone's eye pigment so i don't get the self-hate argument. people that love to scream self-hate are just obsessed with race.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 12:30am On Nov 24, 2008
How typical for you to bring your big head over when I make a point yet didnt say a word when fayasoul and savanah was making theirs.

bawomolo:

please take that bitchy attitude somewhere else.

or what will happen?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by bawomolo(m): 12:30am On Nov 24, 2008
say that to my face beyootch
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 12:33am On Nov 24, 2008
ori e lo buru

You get face? I write like I hit. Obo.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 12:48am On Nov 24, 2008
@tpia

O'boy na wa for you o, i tell you say i don ever date white woman before? I don't condone interacial relationship due to the fact that interspecies mixing is unnatural. As a matter of fact it is brothas like you who don't have the best interests of our sistas at heart and that's why you blindly encourge our sistas to perpetuate this self destructive act under the pretext of stylizing. If i want straight hair i might as well go for the real thing which whites and asians naturally possess not nubian females.

These sistas don't really know how ridiculous they look in these wigs and weavons, okay let us switch things around to see this better: imagine a white woman wearing an afro wig/weave or a dreadlock weave/wig. Wouldn't that be a laughable sight? And i am sure that Asian and white females laugh their asses of when they see nubian sistas wearing blond/red/black or what ever color weaves/wigs; not in front of them ofcourse but behind their backs.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 12:49am On Nov 24, 2008
tpia isnt a "brotha" you dingbat

You mean the same deluded asians that bleach blonde their hair and wear green contacts? Those ones?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 1:09am On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

tpia isnt a "brotha" you dingbat

Is tpia female or what? well, what ever tpia gender is that individuals posts indicates cluelessness. The poster erroneously assumes that all nubian males are attracted to straight hair.

You mean the same deluded asians that bleach blonde their hair and wear green contacts? Those ones?

Haha! I am yet to see an asian wearing a blonde hair or green contacts. I know the chineese, japanese, koreans and other light skinned indians and asians bleach their skin though but these groups are already damn near white/albino so the difference or contrast is not as glaring.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by bettes(f): 1:18am On Nov 24, 2008
@fayasoul:You mean you dont use deodorants!!Men you must think stink real bad shocked
All this your post about the dangers of hair products,tv,creams,combs,carpet,planes etc has given me the impression of a very backward person and the image i have of you is that of an early man.
I have a few question i'd like to ask you:
-When you cook do you use matches or do you strike stones together as was done in the stone age.
-Do put on clothes or do you go around in leaves?or better still you in your birthday suit in case the leaves have been contaminated with chemicals._
-Do you hitch hike everywhere you go e.g say you want to travel to another state or walk from ikeja to sabo.Because cars have gas to them which are cancerous to humans.

Pls humour me,answer this questions
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 1:48am On Nov 24, 2008

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 2:28am On Nov 24, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 2:38am On Nov 24, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 3:00am On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

Is tpia female or what? well, what ever tpia gender is that individuals posts indicates cluelessness. The poster erroneously assumes that all nubian males are attracted to straight hair.

Haha! I am yet to see an asian wearing a blonde hair or green contacts. I know the chineese, japanese, koreans and other light skinned indians and asians bleach their skin though but these groups are already damn near white/albino so the difference or contrast is not as glaring.

Unless you are from East African, you're not "nubian" so spare us the gibberish

and just because YOU've yet to see it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. many East asian females bleach their hair and wear contacts esp here in NY. chinese, koreans, yada however DONT bleach thei skin. It's west asia that is known for that mess like India and what not.

You're just yarning nonsense.

Are you aware that the only time natiural hair is used for versatility is when other hair is added or are you not aware hair is added to dreads, kinky twist, etc?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Tatase(f): 3:20am On Nov 24, 2008
tpia:

first of all, Nubians are native to Egypt and Sudan, not the whole of Africa. Get your geography straight, and don't feed me some fairytales about black women being from Nubia. This is the 21st century. Google Nubia.

I've seen dreadlocks on white males, and as far as I'm concerned, thats their hair and their life, not mine.  In other words, none of my business. I've also seen white males with "afro" hair, which happens to be their natural hair. I didnt bust a vein over it and in any case, when a white woman has similar hair, she'd normally fix the problem by getting a perm. Maybe you werent aware white women also perm and dye   their hair.

As to Asians and whites laughing behind people's backs:  there's plenty for anyone to laugh at in any race if someone wants to go there. A person laughing at fake hair will also laugh at natural hair if they're so inclined. There's a reason why "nappy headed" was considered an insult when the old white guy said it on national tv.

As per your problem with interracial mixing- thats your headache, not mine. Not that I know what goes on in your bedroom. Or in your mind. Too much protesting is always very suspicious, especially in cases like this. Forbidden fruit tastes sweetest, not so?

and where's the pidgin coming from? You're a Nigerian and you're yarning all these tales from the Arabian Nights all over Nairaland?

Abeg jare you get sense. I was about to come and tell Afrocentrico that most of us were naij and not nubian and so it didn't really apply.

@topic
I think there's nothing wrong with having natural hair. There are lots of people who know how to keep it and handle it and style it really nicely. My mom has had natural hair all her life and she keeps it short and it suits her. But what I hate is when people with natural hair make it their duty to be nazis to those who don't want natural hair. It's like people who go vegeterian and then start on people who eat meat. It's like make your decisions but don't assume you know the rest of us who don't make the same decision as you.

I relax my hair and get extensions sometimes because it's easier to handle for me. I don't have the talent with hair that some other people have and I think it's the best decision for me and its what I know i can cope with. It doesn't  have anything to do with wanting to be white or with race or self-hate. I don't resent my hair or my people. I certainly do not wake up everyday thinking about my race or thinking about other people's races. I don't think my weave makes me feel whiter, as long as it looks nice I'm happy. People are people. Black and white and whatever are not different species like you said to tpia. We're humans and we're made by God and we're all the same and go through life the same and die the same and love and hate the same. People are people.  

My hair is not my identity. it's just hair. You cut it and grows back or you grow it out till you get tired of it. Or you dye it different colors. People from every race do that. When white people get curly perms, are they trying to look black? And even if they were, what's anyone's business? People have been relaxing their hair from time for different reasons. Don't presume to know anyone's reasons for doing so or to judge them. Maybe for some people with unconfirmed identites, their hair has to do with wanting to be another race, but for most people, it just has to do with what makes them feel confident and what suits them and what looks nice, natural, synthetic, permed or otherwise.

I'm always scared of your kind of people whose main goal is to make other people feel insecure about their race like they're not black enough or whatever or that they hate themselves. I feel like there's always some projection of feelings going on when that is done. For some people, what's on the inside is more important and not everyone sees just black and white or even wants to see like that. I'm Nigerian and proud of it. I don't need kinky natural hair to prove anything to anyone.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 3:32am On Nov 24, 2008
But what I hate is when people with natural hair make it their duty to be nazis to those who don't want natural hair. It's like people who go vegeterian and then start on people who eat meat

There you go. Cant stand them.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 24, 2008
Seriously who perms her hair with the thought of being white? Who cares for such insecurities aka ethnocentrism in Nigeria? Even if ''historically" (of which I'm just hearing for the first time) oppressed women tried being white through the hair route, does it mean I am consciously trying to be white or I hate myself when I perm my hair? Again who thinks about such?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 3:41am On Nov 24, 2008
People and their speeches.

Dude, I hope you don't think I'd be wasting time going through your paragraphs again
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 4:33am On Nov 24, 2008
first of all, Nubians are native to Egypt and Sudan, not the whole of Africa. Get your geography straight, and don't feed me some fairytales about black women being from Nubia. This is the 21st century. Google Nubia.

Wrong. Nubian is the name our ancestors called what is today "africa". It is more original than so-called africa which was derived from the name of a roman general in the second punic war, Scipio Africanus.

I've seen dreadlocks on white males, and as far as I'm concerned, thats their hair and their life, not mine. In other words, none of my business. I've also seen white males with "afro" hair, which happens to be their natural hair. I didnt bust a vein over it and in any case, when a white woman has similar hair, she'd normally fix the problem by getting a perm. Maybe you werent aware white women also perm and dye their hair.

Mr man, there is nothing fake about whites with natural dreadlocks(even though it is usually unkempt unsuitable) or afros(indicating nubian blood somewhere in the lineage). There are no full blooded nubian sista with striaght hair and if there were i won't have a problem with that. And why do you care about what white women do? let the white man worry about that. My concern is with the fake sistas and the consequences of their self-hating practices.

As to Asians and whites laughing behind people's backs: there's plenty for anyone to laugh at in any race if someone wants to go there. A person laughing at fake hair will also laugh at natural hair if they're so inclined. There's a reason why "nappy headed" was considered an insult when the old white guy said it on national tv.

He said "nappy headed hoes", it was the "hoes" that made the statement derogatory.

As per your problem with interracial mixing- thats your headache, not mine. Not that I know what goes on in your bedroom. Or in your mind. Too much protesting is always very suspicious, especially in cases like this. Forbidden fruit tastes sweetest, not so?

I am the realest naga out there. I mean what i say and say what i mean. Believe that.

and where's the pidgin coming from? You're a Nigerian and you're yarning all these tales from the Arabian Nights all over Nairaland?

Imakwanu ife ana ako. I am among the new breed of nubian warriors who have come to destroy the wackness and set forth a new dawn,
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 4:51am On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

and just because YOU've yet to see it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. many East asian females bleach their hair and wear contacts esp here in NY. chinese, koreans, yada however don't bleach thei skin. It's west asia that is known for that mess like India and what not.

Again, let other groups worry about their problems; black people always put others before their own. And just because self hate is universal does not make it acceptable. By the way east asians do bleach their skin; the chinese, japanese, koreans all want to be white. see video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSCgTkteFY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-CrCsYGLNJA&feature=related

Are you aware that the only time natiural hair is used for versatility is when other hair is added or are you not aware hair is added to dreads, kinky twist, etc?

That's not true. I did my dreads without wax or fake hair and, no, fake hair does not have to be added to natural hair for versatility.

You, my friend, is talking trash.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 4:55am On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

That's not true. I did my dreads without wax or fake hair and, no, fake hair does not have to be added to natural hair for versatility.

You, my friend, is talking trash.

Im referring to women, you lunatic. Are you sure you're a dude or perhaps you're a peterpuffer

Is your incorrect usage of "is" in that last sentence also an act of "rebellion"?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 5:24am On Nov 24, 2008
Any item that is a potential health risk should be left alone. I have stopped using deodorants since i noticed that it does in fact exacerbate body odour and is also detrimental to the skin cells in the arm pits(perharps a result of altered sweat glands as you mentioned).
I came to realize that there is a method to everything; if you use the proper method to bath and brush your teeth you will overstand that deodorants and teeth whiteners are not necessary. Same goes for shaving, if it is done with the proper method there won't be a scratch on your face. Besides i don't think men should shave, they should just trim their beards.

This fahyasoul has serious issues
These "naturalists" never cease to fit the same mould of some paranoid delusional folks that need to be on medication.
Very soon you'll start drinking your own purified urine like some of you do to boost your immune system.
Now I know what your real problem is.
No perms and weaves are just symptoms
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 5:34am On Nov 24, 2008
I think there's nothing wrong with having natural hair. There are lots of people who know how to keep it and handle it and style it really nicely. My mom has had natural hair all her life and she keeps it short and it suits her. But what I hate is when people with natural hair make it their duty to be nazis to those who don't want natural hair. It's like people who go vegeterian and then start on people who eat meat. It's like make your decisions but don't assume you know the rest of us who don't make the same decision as you.

I just doing my duty. It's just like saying that same-sex marraiges should be legalized because some people don't want natural relationships. Freedom is good but there has to be some limitations to maintain order. The hair of a woman is a glory unto hair and she must handle it with honour. Self hate is contagious and cyclical. Self-hating nubians breed a generation lacking confidence in their abilities.

I relax my hair and get extensions sometimes because it's easier to handle for me. I don't have the talent with hair that some other people have and I think it's the best decision for me and its what I know i can cope with. It doesn't  have anything to do with wanting to be white or with race or self-hate. I don't resent my hair or my people. I certainly do not wake up everyday thinking about my race or thinking about other people's races. I don't think my weave makes me feel whiter, as long as it looks nice I'm happy. People are people. Black and white and whatever are not different species like you said to tpia. We're humans and we're made by God and we're all the same and go through life the same and die the same and love and hate the same. People are people.  

It has everything to do with a subconscious yearning to be white and feel acceptable, your just not aware of it consciously because you are living a lie. Many guys(like me) maintain a full set of natural hair without complaints. Why is the case of our females different? Are perms and extentions really easier to handle? The pain, time, money and energy expended on frequent trips to the salon is not a problem to you but keeping an afro or dreadlock is just impossible huh. What about keeping a low cut rather than burning your scalp and exposing your system to toxins?

My hair is not my identity. it's just hair. You cut it and grows back or you grow it out till you get tired of it. Or you dye it different colors. People from every race do that. When white people get curly perms, are they trying to look black? And even if they were, what's anyone's business? People have been relaxing their hair from time for different reasons. Don't presume to know anyone's reasons for doing so or to judge them. Maybe for some people with unconfirmed identites, their hair has to do with wanting to be another race, but for most people, it just has to do with what makes them feel confident and what suits them and what looks nice, natural, synthetic, permed or otherwise.

And the question remains: why does fake straight hair make most nubian sistas feel confident?

I'm always scared of your kind of people whose main goal is to make other people feel insecure about their race like they're not black enough or whatever or that they hate themselves. I feel like there's always some projection of feelings going on when that is done. For some people, what's on the inside is more important and not everyone sees just black and white or even wants to see like that. I'm Nigerian and proud of it. I don't need kinky natural hair to prove anything to anyone.  

If what i say makes any sista insecure then they need to search their souls for the source of that insecurity.

Thanx for your post.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 5:39am On Nov 24, 2008
*osisi:

This fahyasoul has serious issues
These "naturalists" never cease to fit the same mould of some paranoid delusional folks that need to be on medication.
Very soon you'll start drinking your own purified urine like some of you do  to boost your immune system.

Now I know what your real problem is.
No perms and weaves are just symptoms

Rofl  grin

Can you imagine how disgusting this dude smells? A chic with a weave must have turned him down during his stinky "toasting" hence the angry thread

Your duty isnt to harass woman for what they put on their heads, it's for you to take English classes and work on your grammar. Olodo elede.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 5:49am On Nov 24, 2008
stillwater:

Seriously who perms her hair with the thought of being white? Who cares for such insecurities aka ethnocentrism in Nigeria? Even if ''historically" (of which I'm just hearing for the first time) oppressed women tried being white through the hair route, does it mean I am consciously trying to be white or I hate myself when I perm my hair? Again who thinks about such?

In nubia(and world wide), the representation of God as white is widely accepted and as a result nubian females attempt to emulate this eurocentric image of God. And in the west they also wear weaves and perms for job security. all these are further compounded by global western media outlets and dominant ideologies (which are replete with embedded images) that protay the white female as a universal standard of beauty. Note that this is a psychological warfare that takes place in the subconscious and subsequently manifests as self-hating practices.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 5:53am On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

I just doing my duty. It's just like saying that same-sex marraiges should be legalized because some people don't want natural relationships. Freedom is good but there has to be some limitations to maintain order. The hair of a woman is a glory unto hair and she must handle it with honour. Self hate is contagious and cyclical. Self-hating nubians breed a generation lacking confidence in their abilities.

It has everything to do with a subconscious yearning to be white and feel acceptable, your just not aware of it consciously because you are living a lie. Many guys(like me) maintain a full set of natural hair without complaints. Why is the case of our females different? Are perms and extentions really easier to handle? The pain, time, money and energy expended on frequent trips to the salon is not a problem to you but keeping an afro or dreadlock is just impossible huh. What about keeping a low cut rather than burning your scalp and exposing your system to toxins?

And the question remains: why does fake straight hair make most nubian sistas feel confident?

If what i say makes any sista insecure then they need to search their souls for the source of that insecurity.

Thanx for your post.

First off,I actually feel offended when you refer to me as Nubian.
I'm a black,Igbo Nigerian lady.I had never heard the word Nubian till I arrived the USA and always from these sort of people and there's nothing Nubian about me so please lose that description.
Call me African if you're short of a proper description and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Secondly, who do you think you are to tell people (who have not complained to you) what they feel and also insist that you know the solution to their feelings.That s the beginning of madness if you don't know.
There's no concrete evidence anyway to show that applying a perm causes  cancer as you've thrown around loosely with your half baked "african studies" mentality.If there is, kindly cite the study.

Thirdly ,you cannot impose your own feelings of insecurity on other people.If you felt insecure in your so called nubian-ness and then permed, jherri curled  or added weave to your hair,that doesn't mean I have the same feelings about myself.
That's why you're you and I'm me.
That we're of the same race,doesn't necessarily mean that I must feel the same exact way you feel about things.
So please speak for yourself.
Speak of your own experiences and leave it at that ,rather than try to shove your annoying gospel down our throats and then throw a tantrum when people disagree with you.
what an "irritant"
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 5:53am On Nov 24, 2008
how is this a political issue?  

Everything is politics,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Sleek Makeup Versus Marykay And Mac / Lady Mocked For 14 Years Because Of Her 'ugly' Leg Turns To A Successful Model / Social Media Ladies Show Us Their Faces Before And After Makeup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.