Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,118 members, 7,814,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

1ofall's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 1ofall's Profile / 1ofall's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

Education / Re: Your School Anthem by 1ofall(f): 1:54pm On Feb 14, 2006
Hope I get this right now, here goes,

Great Fedgocol I thee revere
My ever dearest alma mater
Prepare me with the tenderset care
a seedling nursed a blossom fair
Instill in me the wisdon and truth
To tread on earth with love in view
Uphld the course of brotherhood in honour bound be tru and good

On that glorius day
I amyet to see
When thee I leave for life's great sea,
Great Fedgo, fedgocol with pride and joy
I vow to reflect, and thee adore,
Culture / Re: Let's Interprete Pidgin Language On This Forum by 1ofall(f): 1:45pm On Feb 14, 2006
@Charlisco, I think you might be thinking of "yakata"
as in "e don yakata" meaning it is ruined, could also say "e don kpafuka"
Akata is usually used to refer to people from the USA or The USA itself, eg "Akata don land" or "I dey go Akata"
Family / Re: Would You Marry Someone On A Wheelchair? by 1ofall(f): 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2006
It would depend on a lot more than his being in a wheelchair, why is he in a wheel chair? Does he have other medical conditions that would require a lot of care?
I guess my answer would be "it depends"
For those who say "never" does that mean if you married someone today and he/she had the misfortune to end up in a wheelchair you'd dump them?
Rememebr that there are worse handicaps than the obvious ones.
Dating And Meet-up Zone / Re: A Place For Thirty-Somethings by 1ofall(f): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2006
This thread has brought back fond memories of school dances, and the days when music was music!
MJ whatever he might be now,I still doff my hat to him when one of his oldies comes on...the guy is/was gifted...
(I heard on the radio yesterday he is jobhunting and has been offered a job as some sort of consultant for setting up theme parks and music academies whereever he is now-Middle East? All the best to him.)
Family / Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by 1ofall(f): 11:02am On Jan 17, 2006
They say you cannot serve two masters equally well and this is one instance where it might be true.
I believe the most important job I will ever do is that of being a mother. I am very sure in Xyears I will not be lying on my deathbed and wishing I had worked a few more hours or expanded my business kingdom a bit more.
It really depends on what is important to you personally. For me, I have found from experience (tried being a stay at home mum) that I also need to have my career but I have have also got my priorities in order of whats important to me.
And when I finish a full day at work and get home, its like the real job has just begun!
Business / Re: How Do I Survive In School? by 1ofall(f): 10:33am On Jan 17, 2006
You could also set up a webshop to sell what you knit...put up a few samples. Maybe things for children...people like to buy children's things as gifts-personalised sweaters, cardigans etc. You could also do a some asmples of your beading-is that like jewellery?or beading on clothes?
And as suggested, if you can, get a part time job.
Career / Re: Understanding Telecommuting, Telecommuters, Telecommute Jobs by 1ofall(f): 10:25am On Jan 17, 2006
In my own experience, I telecommuted/worked from home/e-worked 2-3days a week, and went in on the days I had to see clients or had metings.

Sometimes you do have to negotiate for it with your employer, or "sell" it to them-they can cut down on overheads, have access to skilled staff from distant locations, more productive staff-fewer distractions, less travel, less stress.

I have 2 friends who do it and it works out well.One of them works for an American company and its weird because she has to work during their working hours(being in different timezones).

The main thing is the supporting technology - broadband, telephones, video conferencing, etc.
Religion / Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by 1ofall(f): 11:40am On Jan 12, 2006
I have always thought this verse in the bible was addressed to what we’d refer to as cross-dressing today and which is still as controversial as it may have been then…not really pertaining to wearing pants/trousers perse. In biblical days, their clothing did not include trousers, infact there are verses in the bible (I forget them now but can check them up if anyone wants) that refer to men wearing skirts.
As pointed out by queen2 earlier there are cultures today that have the same thing for both male and female apparel…we don’t even need to go as far as Scotland where the men wear plaid skirts…in Nigeria…the southerners tie wrappers only difference between make and female being the way its tied.
Travel / Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by 1ofall(f): 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2006
From what I read, Freewilly's main gripe is that Medube is white and Nigerian...anyway I digress;
Back to Original post...
Medube, saw this article-  http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/26/news/ghana.php
and thot it might interest you.
Health / Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 1ofall(f): 12:53pm On Jan 11, 2006
Hi Balogun,
Just sent you a pm smiley

1 Like

Family / Re: Need Advice On Life as a Single Mother by 1ofall(f): 11:01am On Dec 22, 2005
Hi Chocolate, well done on how far you've come...you've proven that "your life is not over"
As regards your"baby-father" my opinion is don't even bother....not until you are sure he wants to come into your son's life to stay...he cannot breeze in bow because he has suddenly rediscovered his conscience and then leave when the pressures of his family get to him. They say the best predictor of future behaviour is pat behaviour...If he is interested let him proove himself to YOU first and then you can consider the possibilty of introducing him to your son.
As for your son blaming you later....don't worry about that now.Just make your decisions based on what you feel is in his best interests and when he is old enough, give him the facts.
Meanwhile,keep moving on with your life and don't give the a**wipe any headspace-UNTIL he prooves himself!Same goes for his family...they knew he had a son didn't they??
Oh going with kokscity's plan is a good way to establish his seriousness...caring for a child is by no means cheap!!The email-communication is a great idea!

May the ground continue to rise to your feet!
Health / Re: Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad? by 1ofall(f): 1:29pm On Dec 20, 2005
Plastic surgery isn't bad in itself. I think the issue is people's attitudes to it...."just a nip here" or "a tuck there" or "a bit of this added/removed" as if it's the butchers/fishmongers! It is still major surgery, and carries all the usual risks!It 's as though some people think because they are doing it for vanity, it automatically becomes"not so serious"
Its ok not to want to show the ravages of time and look as good as you can but I'd rather take care of what I have to make it last longer!And as for enhancement...I 'll go for making the best of my good bits...perfection is an illusion!
ETA:
Not to say I would condemn people who decide to do it haven responsibly thought about it...as in Latifah's case..
Career / Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by 1ofall(f): 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2005
Yangie is right...you should not have to sign a contract...certainly not one for 34months!
The very point of doing the course online(elearning) is to fit it around your schedule and do it at your own pace. I 've come across some lab simulations that are quite realistic so I suppose you might get away without doing real practicals. As for their promise of getting you a job...I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
What ever you decide....go one step at a time.
Health / Re: This Baby Has Seven Weeks To Live!!! by 1ofall(f): 3:36pm On Dec 13, 2005
This is sooo sad. Does anyone know wha has happened?
I 've only read of this here now.
Religion / Re: Do Aliens and Vampires Really Exist? by 1ofall(f): 3:23pm On Dec 13, 2005
Maybe...maybe not..."the truth is out there" grin
Career / Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by 1ofall(f): 2:13pm On Dec 13, 2005
Nigerian graduates who went through school without blocking/cheating are worth their salt in any currency. I work in one university and I study in another and I also had my B.Sc from Nigeria so I think I am qualified to have a valid opinion on this.Oh and did I mention my brother just graduated in Nigeria?
Sure, they might be that bit behind (heck, who wouldn’t after learning programming without ever being on a computer!) but, they catch up so quickly, they leave their foreign counterparts in their dust.
As for their grammar, well their English might be atrocious but so what? That’s hardly an indication of how well they know their stuff now is it? Except of because, “their  stuff” is English grammar.
Now, that’s about the product-the graduates...As far as I am concerned, it’s a wonder that they come out so good….with lecturers who know nothing about their fields today and have a phobia for students who seem to be learning “outside the scope”, out-of-date study materials, lack of collaborative learning opportunities…its not a wonder but a miracle! Learning occurs best when the learner realises the onus is on him/her but all the above have to be there to facilitate the process and that isn’t the case in Nigeria.
On the question of docs, I have had the misfortune to have met some european docs I would not allow cut my toenail! Medicine is one of the few areas that Nigerian graduates have the least"conversion-time" (IMHO) I 've found the docs here are useless without all their gadgets, medicine has got be more than being able to read a scan, xray, or cut, remove and sew....

ETA:
The system is broken but by some miracle the product isn't so bad...so...if your question had been "Is the Nigerian educational system worth 2pennies" my answer would have been a resounding NO!
Career / Re: Profession: What Do You Do For a Living? by 1ofall(f): 1:29pm On Dec 13, 2005
I am a jack of all trades;it-support, webdesign(html,wysiwyg packages),flash,instructional design, content writing, editing...trying to become a master in one-likely project management(if I can get used to working thru people) if I am lucky.

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.