Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. (34354 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga / Sleeping Position On Bed Threatens Marriage! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

by the same token, is female a male? grin
Female is not Male, just like Male is not female but they are both human beings.

The problem now is, how do you decide which is superior?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:05pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Female is not Male, just like Male is not female but they are both human beings.

The problem now is, how do you decide which is superior?

the bible already said the male is the superior gender. God cursed the woman that her husband will rule over her.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:07pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

the bible already said the male is the superior gender. God cursed the woman that her husband will rule over her.
And for people that don't believe in the bible?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
And for people that don't believe in the bible?

well, if you don't believe in the bible...there are other ways. the average man is stronger than the average woman, he can run faster, think better & if they were to fight to prove superiority, the man would win every time.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Poindexter: 3:15pm On Dec 13, 2014
Feminism is a terrible evil concept, period!

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

well, if you don't believe in the bible...there are other ways. the average man is stronger than the average woman, he can run faster, think better & if they were to fight to prove superiority, the man would win every time.
Really coog? The man would win everytime?

Let's not even argue on that.

4 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:19pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Really coog? The man would win everytime?

Let's not even argue on that.

of course - the man would win all the time. this is why a woman is also known as the weaker sėx. grin

3 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

of course - the man would win all the time. this is why a woman is also known as the weaker sėx. grin
Smh.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:30pm On Dec 13, 2014
Coogar why is is so important that a woman accepts that she's lesser than a man? How is it such a bad thing that someone asks you to treat her the way you would treat yourself?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:37pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Coogar why is is so important that a woman accepts that she's lesser than a man? How is it such a bad thing that someone asks you to treat her the way you would treat yourself?

i treat women like i would want to be treated but sometimes, you have to agree with me that a woman's opinion might go against her husband's opinion. in that situation, whose opinion should they go with?

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

i treat women like i would want to be treated but sometimes, you have to agree with me that a woman's opinion might go against her husband's opinion. in that situation, whose opinion should they go with?
Thats why there's a word like compromise, they meet each other half way.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:51pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Thats why there's a word like compromise, they meet each other half way.

what if there's no half-way solution?
hubby & wife are at crossroads. hubby believes the left road is the correct one. wife insists the right road is the correct one.

what is the solution?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

what if there's no half-way solution?
hubby & wife are at crossroads. hubby believes the left road is the correct one. wife insists the right road is the correct one.

what is the solution?
They flip a coin. undecided
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:59pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
They flip a coin. undecided

flip a coin? hell no!
since they are married, the wife should submit to her hubby if he's convinced his decision is right. if they fail, they fail together & if they succeed, they succeed together.

when you choose one man out of the 100 suitors you have, you've technically chosen the one you think is the best out of the lot to lead you. this is why you should trust his judgement when such rare cases come up.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 4:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

flip a coin? hell no!
since they are married, the wife should submit to her hubby if he's convinced his decision is right. if they fail, they fail together & if they succeed, they succeed together.

when you choose one man out of the 100 suitors you have, you've technically chosen the one you think is the best out of the lot to lead you. this is why you should trust his judgement when such rare cases come up.
Make I laugh small papi, you funny grin.

You are going religious on me with this your submission talk cos its religion that preaches 'submissiveness', I don't do religion.

And he didn't choose her out of the billions of women out there throwing themselves at him? Why can't he trust her judgment? If these two persons who chose each other out of many to become husband and wife can't agree on a thing, it is best to find a tie breaker my darling, that way, whoever fails, accepts responsibility and learns how to leave room for another person to make decisions cos no one can always be right.

The husband makes the decisions and they fail together, how long will they keep failing together based on one person's decisions?

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 4:17pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Make I laugh small papi, you funny grin.

You are going religious on me with this your submission talk cos its religion that preaches 'submissiveness', I don't do religion.

And he didn't choose her out of the billions of women out there throwing themselves at him? Why can't he trust her judgment? If these two persons who chose each other out of many to become husband and wife can't agree on a thing, it is best to find a tie breaker my darling, that way, whoever fails, accepts responsibility and learns how to leave room for another person to make decisions cos no one can always be right.

The husband makes the decisions and they fail together, how long will they keep failing together based on one person's decisions?

men don't marry out of hypergamy.
a man can marry up or marry down. kanu nwankwo was making £40,000 per week in the UK when he chose to marry an 18-year-old girl in the village.

do you think genevieve can marry a village boy? that's the difference! men marry for different reasons. women don't - he must be taller, richer, more intelligent, etc before she can choose him out of the lots. women are hypergamous, men aren't!

as a woman, you should never marry a man that is less intelligent than you. that marriage is doomed!

4 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 13, 2014
Coin-tossing families grin. That's a good one.

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by cdz: 4:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
The problem with feminism is feminists. They come across as bitter, reactionary, intolerant and rude - sometimes. Ask them what feminism is and they tell you it's a crusade for the equality of the sexes. But then what is equality? Before I am misunderstood let me say this: men and women are equal. Men are not more human than women. And fundamental human rights are men and women rights. But again, what is equality?

Feminists tell you that equality means treating men and women the same. And I say that is injustice. Men and women are equal but certainly different - and difference here is not a bad thing or a superiority contest for no man can be a woman and no woman can be a man. So let each be proud of what they are.

Equality as defined by feminists is unjust and no one (not even men among themselves or women among themselves for that matter) is equal in that sense. For example, if you have kids and they are all boys, will you for the sake of equality serve each of them exactly the same portion of food? It is not rational to do that because obviously their needs vary where quantity of food is concerned. Some naturally require more food than others and it is only fair that each person is served according to his need. Because the kids are different, they must be treated differently. So it is also with men and women.

It is rational to reserve physically demanding tasks for men not because they are better than women but simply because they are naturally wired to cope with such tasks. Why? I don't have the answer. Perhaps nature is to blame. In the same vein women are more naturally suited for certain roles. For instance, I am personally more at peace with a female nurse than a male nurse - their touch is unparalleled.

Being a woman has its challenges but don't be fooled into thinking that being a man is a joy ride either. A woman who is fed up with being a woman has the option of becoming a feminist at least. What option does a man who is fed up with being a man have?

I once heard a man lament that if the challenge he was facing was what it meant to be the head of a family, he wishes to declare the headship of his family vacant and any woman was welcome to apply.

How can you possibly know what it's like to be a man except you are one? Remember, the grass is greener on the other side - until you cross over. A woman's life is hard; a man's life isn't any easier. If you don't agree, please show me where in this world men may have an easy life just because they are men and I'll send more than a few male friends there to find peace.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

a man can marry up or marry down. kanu nwankwo was making £40,000 per week in the UK when he chose to marry an 18-year-old girl in the village.

do you think genevieve can marry a village boy? that's the difference! men marry for different reasons. women don't - he must be taller, richer, more intelligent, etc before she can choose him out of the lots. women are hypergamous, men aren't!

as a woman, you should never marry a man that is less intelligent than you. that marriage is doomed!
Sometimes, I wonder if these people's views are due to ignorance or just plain self-deceit. grin
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by 5minsmadness: 4:34pm On Dec 13, 2014
cdz:
The problem with feminism is feminists. They come across as bitter, reactionary, intolerant and rude - sometimes. Ask them what feminism is and they tell you it's a crusade for the equality of the sexes. But then what is equality? Before I am misunderstood let me say this: men and women are equal. Men are not more human than women. And fundamental human rights are men and women rights. But again, what is equality?

Feminists tell you that equality means treating men and women the same. And I say that is injustice. Men and women are equal but certainly different - and difference here is not a bad thing or a superiority contest for no man can be a woman and no woman can be a man. So let each be proud of what they are.

Equality as defined by feminists is unjust and no one (not even men among themselves or women among themselves for that matter) is equal in that sense. For example, if you have kids and they are all boys, will you for the sake of equality serve each of them exactly the same portion of food? It is not rational to do that because obviously their needs vary where quantity of food is concerned. Some naturally require more food than others and it is only fair that each person is served according to his need. Because the kids are different, they must be treated differently. So it is also with men and women.

It is rational to reserve physically demanding tasks for men not because they are better than women but simply because they are naturally wired to cope with such tasks. Why? I don't have the answer. Perhaps nature is to blame. In the same vein women are more naturally suited for certain roles. For instance, I am personally more at peace with a female nurse than a male nurse - their touch is unparalleled.

Being a woman has its challenges but don't be fooled into thinking that being a man is a joy ride either. A woman who is fed up with being a woman has the option of becoming a feminist at least. What option does a man who is fed up with being a man have?

I once heard a man lament that if the challenge he was facing was what it meant to be the head of a family, he wishes to declare the headship of his family vacant and any woman was welcome to apply.

How can you possibly know what it's like to be a man except you are one? Remember, the grass is greener on the other side - until you cross over. A woman's life is hard; a man's life isn't any easier. If you don't agree, please show me where in this world men may have an easy life just because they are men and I'll send more than a few male friends there to find peace.
Beautiful post.
So on point.

2 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 4:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

I don't like these kinds of debate cos its always very chauvinistic, how are you sure if a woman marries a man less intelligent, their marriage won't work? Who told you genny can't marry a village boy? How are you certain? Hypergamy is not gendered, it might generally be used to refer to women marrying up, that doesn't mean men don't and can't marry up.

You didn't answer my question as to how long they'll keep failing based on the man's decision?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
I don't like these kinds of debate cos its always very chauvinistic, how are you sure if a woman marries a man less intelligent, their marriage won't work? Who told you genny can't marry a village boy? How are you certain? Hypergamy is not gendered, it might generally be used to refer to women marrying up, that doesn't mean men don't and can't marry up.

if she marries a less intelligent man then she shouldn't complain when the man's ego gets in her way. no woman should marry a man that is less intelligent than her. your man should be leading you & not the other way round. naturally, no woman even wants that unless her situation has gotten desperate.

genny can't marry a village boy. who before genny married a village boy? women always marry up - the only time you see her marrying down is if her value in the dating market has crashed. no woman in her prime would choose a dullard, a villager, etc to marry.

call a spade a spade, abeg!

You didn't answer my question as to how long they'll keep failing based on the man's decision?

the man should lead - they can't keep failing cos she married a man that is intelligent than her. if it's a situation where he's a dullard, then she married the wrong partner from the outset & that marriage is doomed.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

if she marries a less intelligent man then she shouldn't complain when the man's ego gets in her way. no woman should marry a man that is less intelligent than her. your man should be leading you & not the other way round. naturally, no woman even wants that unless her situation has gotten desperate.

genny can't marry a village boy. who before genny married a village boy? women always marry up - the only time you see her marrying down is if her value in the dating market has crashed. no woman in her prime would choose a dullard, a villager, etc to marry.

call a spade a spade, abeg!

the man should lead - they can't keep failing cos she married a man that is intelligent than her. if it's a situation where he's a dullard, then she married the wrong partner from the outset & that marriage is doomed.
I thought men are generally more intelligent than women, so who are these women that are more intelligent then those men you called dullards?
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
I thought men are generally more intelligent than women, so who are these women that are more intelligent then those men you called dullards?

of course, men are generally more intelligent than women on the same level playing field. this doesn't mean you will not find women who are intelligent than some men(who are less-privileged).

now, when a woman is becoming too old to attract men in her dating pool, she compromises her standard & jump into another pool to attract the men there. so it's not uncommon to see a woman marrying a younger man, a poorer man or a less intelligent man.

her hands were forced to take that decision - it is not what she woulda done or wished for in her early 20s when her stock was still on the rise. no woman in her prime will deliberately marry down, they always marry up unlike men who can marry whatever suits him.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Callfubu(m): 5:21pm On Dec 13, 2014
FACTS: Men are head of homes, there can't be two captains in a ship.
MY OPINION: I believe women should be treated with love care and respect because of all they go through. For me? I pray to God to give me the strength to love my wife unconditionally regardless. But the problem here is these specific women calling themselves feminist feel threatened and oppressed by the facts. But madams no be by force to marry, if you feel oppressed, don't marry or create your own company where you are boss and you can decide to hire whomever you want. Trying to show men that you want equality because you don't want to be termed "weaker sex". As a man I believe the women are the stronger sex of sorts, because of all they have to go through, they don't have to laud it over the men they just have to show them. Anyways I rest my case despite the many points to be said

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Kay17: 5:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

Wouldn't it be more courageous and more worthy to overcome such a curse?

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Kay17: 5:47pm On Dec 13, 2014
Callfubu:
FACTS: Men are head of homes, there can't be two captains in a ship.
MY OPINION: I believe women should be treated with love care and respect because of all they go through. For me? I pray to God to give me the strength to love my wife unconditionally regardless. But the problem here is these specific women calling themselves feminist feel threatened and oppressed by the facts. But madams no be by force to marry, if you feel oppressed, don't marry or create your own company where you are boss and you can decide to hire whomever you want. Trying to show men that you want equality because you don't want to be termed "weaker sex". As a man I believe the women are the stronger sex of sorts, because of all they have to go through, they don't have to laud it over the men they just have to show them. Anyways I rest my case despite the many points to be said

But they do have a source of grievance. Marriage as an institution imposes unfair terms on women. Nobody wants to be enslaved or be inferior to other humans. Our sense of justice rejects arguments that a man is more worthy of an individual than a woman.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 5:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
Kay17:

Wouldn't it be more courageous and more worthy to overcome such a curse?

how do you overcome the pains of childbirth? abracadabra? grin
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by freecocoa(f): 5:51pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

of course, men are generally more intelligent than women on the same level playing field. this doesn't mean you will not find women who are intelligent than some men(who are less-privileged).

now, when a woman is becoming too old to attract men in her dating pool, she compromises her standard & jump into another pool to attract the men there. so it's not uncommon to see a woman marrying a younger man, a poorer man or a less intelligent man.

her hands were forced to take that decision - it is not what she woulda done or wished for in her early 20s when her stock was still on the rise. no woman in her prime will deliberately marry down, they always marry up unlike men who can marry whatever suits him.
Chai! So basically, you are more intelligent than all the women on the same level playing field as you? And any woman more intelligent than a man is because he was/is less privileged?

Papi, we done talking lipsrsealed angry.

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Kay17: 5:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

well, if you don't believe in the bible...there are other ways. the average man is stronger than the average woman, he can run faster, think better& if they were to fight to prove superiority, the man would win every time.

All humans are unequal -- true.

Our inequality is owed to our individual qualities not to social or racial qualities.

2 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Kay17: 5:53pm On Dec 13, 2014
coogar:

how do you overcome the pains of childbirth? abracadabra? grin

That's not an answer to my question. My question is 'isn't it courageous and more worthy to overcome a curse?

2 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 5:55pm On Dec 13, 2014
freecocoa:
Chai! So basically, you are more intelligent than all the women on the same level playing field as you? And any woman more intelligent than a man is because he was/is less privileged?

very correct!
there's a reason women are much at peace with courses that are less mentally tasking like nursing, hairdressing, buying & selling, temps, receptionist, etc whereas men are mostly doing the more mentally tasking jobs like astro-physics, advanced engineering, etc. it's not even debatable. men are better at it than women.

Papi, we done talking lipsrsealed angry.

goodnight - say hi to your roomie for me. cheesy

Kay17:

All humans are unequal -- true.
Our inequality is owed to our individual qualities not to social or racial qualities.

we aren't discussing social or gender here - we are talking about gender.

Kay17:

That's not an answer to my question. My question is 'isn't it courageous and more worthy to overcome a curse?

how's this question relevant to the discourse. men got cursed in eden too & they have been living with that curse since then. without the curse, i would be nakëd in eden now plucking fresh fruits & riding on the back of a wild animal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Could My Wife Be Cheating? / Five Deadly Words Used By Women ;D / The Hatred I Have For My Mother Is Getting Worse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.