Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,015 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:21 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (238733 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:57pm On Sep 07, 2019
Amujale:

Uncle Toms are those that know beyond reasonable doubt that of the fact that Abrahamic religions are fake, yet, due to greed and the uncontrolable lust for monetary value, continue to peddle those false narratives.

Many educated and well informed pastors are infact uncle Toms, although there are those of them that are simply ignorant of truth.

The term was coined by the the founding members of the early pan African institutes during the days of African American revolution.

Assuming uncle Toms dont have the nerve or interest to put anyone on the straight path, then they're better off saying nothing at all.

No matter the quality of the borrowed content, no matter its popularity, possessing the knowledge of something being false and not only pretending that it isnt, but peddling it as though its real is indeed ethically criminal.

Uncle Toms are real scum.
That is your very narrow view of uncle Tom. If you'd read the book the phrase came from you might understand how the Bible itself might be 'uncle Tom' in nature and see the devastating effect on those it 'scums' to.

Please know that I'm slightly above being affected by needless insults. It just slightly blights the sense you might otherwise have made.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 7:28pm On Sep 07, 2019
budaatum:

I do not agree that the "Abrahamic religious text" are fake. To be fake implies they are copies of originals which I do not know existed, apart from the likes of Egyptian hieroglyphs and Tales about Greek and Roman Gods which preceeded it, and of which the Abrahamic religious text are not "copies" .

There isnt one character or storyline in all of Abrahamic religious text that can claim to being original.

All the authors of Abrahamic religious text are dubious and untrustworthy.

And yes, Abrahamic religious text are direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c

budaatum:

As to "horrific falsities being drummed into innocent onlookers", might you want to explain what these are please?

The premise behinde the narratives being peddled by all the Abrahamic religions is false.

The notion that the Almighty God isnt African is false.

Humanity began in Africa and they went on to populate the rest of the world.

Africans are the first people in human history capable enough to perceive the Almighty God.

The Almighty God and all the true heavenly Deities and the Divinities are black, brown and bronze; are Universal.

The narrative behinde an Asian or European image of God are wholly false and misleading; they just arent plausible due to the simple understanding that suggest that noone owns the rights to the supposed image of 'God' and the fact that Africans are the first humans that God' created.

The false image of God that Abrahamic religious text are peddling, the blattant lies and fabrications contained in all of their content are part of the horific falsities refered to in the above post.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 2:04am On Sep 08, 2019
Amujale:

There isnt one character or storyline in all of Abrahamic religious text that can claim to being original.

And yes, Abrahamic religious text are direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c
If, as you claim, "Abrahamic religious text are direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c", are you not pleased that I, a Nigerian, have heard of those things? I mean, its not as if I can be walking in the streets of Lagos and pick up "Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology etc", that easily. Even African Philosophy is scanty, as you'd have seen if you checked the podcast I posted. Or can I pick that up on the streets of Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria?

Perhaps see the Bible as a badly written syllabus. Many learn a lot from it that they might not have learnt anywhere else. I mean, you, perhaps, might only know of these "Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology etc" from your initial reading of the Bible which piqued your interest like a tiny acorn seed and made you search further so you've become the immensely knowledgeable oak tree you have become. Or have you forgotten how you began and would give no credit to the seed?

Amujale:
The premise behinde the narratives being peddled by all the Abrahamic religions is false.
Are you here suggesting that the "direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c" that the Abrahamic religions "copied and plagerised", are all false?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 2:35am On Sep 08, 2019
budaatum:

If, as you claim, "Abrahamic religious text are direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c", are you not pleased that I, a Nigerian, have heard of those things? I mean, its not as if I can be walking in the streets of Lagos and pick up "Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology etc", that easily. Even African Philosophy is scanty, as you'd have seen if you checked the podcast I posted. Or can I pick that up on the streets of Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria?

Perhaps see the Bible as a badly written syllabus. Many learn a lot from it that they might not have learnt anywhere else. I mean, you, perhaps, might only know of these "Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology etc" from your initial reading of the Bible which piqued your interest like a tiny acorn seed and made you search further so you've become the immensely knowledgeable oak tree you have become. Or have you forgotten how you began and would give no credit to the seed?

Are you here suggesting that the "direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c" that the Abrahamic religions "copied and plagerised", are all false?

All Abrahamic religious text are fake, false and counterintuitive.

Name any of their famous characters or storyline and let me prove to you that they are fake.

The Abrahamic religions are a massive charade.

Kindly refrain from your attempts to misconscrue the contents of my post.

Amujale:

Abrahamic religious text are direct copies and plagerised versions of various older characters and philospohies. i.e African philosophies, Budhism, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Roman mythology, Summerian mythology e.t.c

The notion that the Almighty God isnt African is false.

Humanity began in Africa and they went on to populate the rest of the world.

Africans are the first people in human history capable enough to perceive the Almighty God.

The Almighty God and all the true heavenly Deities and the Divinities are black, brown and bronze; are Universal.

The narrative behinde an Asian or European image of God are wholly false and misleading; they just arent plausible due to the simple understanding that suggest that noone owns the rights to the supposed image of 'God' and the fact that Africans are the first humans that God' created.

The false image of God that Abrahamic religious text are peddling, the blattant lies and fabrications contained in all of their content are part of the horific falsities refered to in the above post.

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 3:27am On Sep 08, 2019
Amujale:

All Abrahamic religious text are fake, false and counterintuitive.

Name any of their famous characters or storyline and let me prove to you that they are fake.
Mohammed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:56pm On Sep 08, 2019
"Do you believe in God?"

Define God.

"The God that created everything, a personal God not a concept of nature, but a God that has a personality."

Does it make sense to you that something can create everything? Something is a subset of everything. Isn't it?

"That's human thinking. We want to define God by our own limited reasoning..."

But you are a human, and you just defined God above.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 2:41pm On Sep 08, 2019
budaatum:

Mohammed.

The character that transformed into the Abrahamic religious character known to us as Mohammed was in fact an Arabian/Persian leader of a repel faction and not some virtuous dude that the authors of Abrahamic religious text have miraculously conjured.

The Mohammed character is fake, a plagerisation of various older religious concepts and characters from around the globe. i.e African religious concepts, Arabian mythology, Greek mythology,
Persian mythology, other Asian religious concepts e.t.c

The Muhammedian movement that manufactured Islam made use of a similar type of constructs to the Romans, Islam was manufactured round about the 8th century due to the philosophical dominance of Rome at the time.

All the authors of Abrahamic religious text are dubious and wholly untrustworthy.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 3:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
Under what circumstance is it permitable for a bunch of murderers and war mongers to be claiming to know anything about virtousness.

Stop and Think!

The only intention of All Abrahamic religious text is to brainwash innocent people.

They attempt to replace real history with a false version also known as brainwashing.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 3:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
joseph1013:
"Do you believe in God?"
No! There is no merit in doing that which satan does and shudders!

joseph1013:
Define God.
No! Apart from "thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", neither should one create images or idols or definitions of God!

joseph1013:
"The God that created everything, a personal God not a concept of nature, but a God that has a personality."
That's your definition. Why do you think God is a personal God, has a personality, and is not a concept of nature?

joseph1013:
Does it make sense to you that something can create everything? Something is a subset of everything. Isn't it?
No, it does not make sense. Why do you think such nonsense 1013? Why "define God by our own limited reasoning"?

joseph1013:
"That's human thinking. We want to define God by our own limited reasoning..."
Human thinking of some. Especially non-Bible readers and non-Bible understanders. Those who understand their Bible, and more especially, God, do not limit God given abilities to reason. They in fact know that they cannot limit reasoning however much they try. I mean, just watch buda woefully fail in limiting the ability to reason of 1013!

joseph1013:
But you are a human, and you just defined God above.
Haha! Nice try. I am indeed human, but did I just not define God above now!

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 3:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
Normally, Africans and virtuosness fit hand in glove.

Historically, Arabians and Eurocentrics are absolute warmongers.

Yet, they attempt to hide these truth from you by peddling fake history by means of their Abrahamic text.

In order to be presented with the real Arabian or European history, one must have to disregard all Abrahamic religious related text.

Then, it becomes clear that Arabia and Europe have two distinct types of discourse running concurrently on history.

Asian fundamentalist and Eurocentrics push their manufacrured history into the public domain in an attempt to deflect away from true history.

(a) Their true history i.e looting, stealing, warmongery and desecrating sacred sites all around the globe.

(b) Their manufactured history. i.e Abrahamic religious text, other types of Asian fundamentalist versions of history, other types of Eurocentrist versions of history e.t.c
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2019
The Alexander Romance is an account of the life and exploits of Alexander the Great. Although constructed around a historical core, the romance is largely fictional. It was widely copied and translated, accruing legends and fantastical elements at different stages. The original version was composed in the Greek language before 338BC, when a Latin translation was made. Several late manuscripts attribute the work to Alexander's court historian Callisthenes of Olynthus, but the historical person died before Alexander and could not have written a full account of his life. The unknown author is still sometimes known as Pseudo-Callisthenes.

See also, Alexander the Great in Jewish, Christian and Islamic legendary traditions.

Amujale:

The character that transformed into the Abrahamic religious character known to us as Mohammed was in fact an Arabian/Persian leader of a repel faction and not some virtuous dude that the authors of Abrahamic religious text have miraculously conjured.

The Mohammed character is fake, a plagerisation of various older religious concepts and characters from around the globe. i.e African religious concepts, Arabian mythology, Greek mythology,
Persian mythology, other Asian religious concepts e.t.c

The Muhammedian movement that manufactured Islam made use of a similar type of constructs to the Romans, Islam was manufactured round about the 8th century due to the philosophical dominance of Rome at the time.

All the authors of Abrahamic religious text are dubious and wholly untrustworthy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2019
^^^^
Oops, you just did a doopsy there, I guess no more posting here for at least the next 24 hours for you budaatum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
^^^^
Oops, you just did a doopsy there, I guess no more posting here for at least the next 24 hours for you budaatum
You and who is "24 hour doopsy"?

Is goodness and mercy a lie?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2019
budaatum:
You and who is "24 hour doopsy"?

Is goodness and mercy a lie?
Lol. You walked through the valley of the shadow of death, returned back unscathed and to boast about it, as the mods saved your bacon, your previously hidden post, sanity and dignity intact. Wisdom and intelligence are good to have and know how to well use. Well done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Lol. You walked through the valley of the shadow of death, returned back unscathed and to boast about it, as the mods saved your bacon, your previously hidden post, sanity and dignity intact. Wisdom and intelligence are good to have and know how to well use. Well done.
What can I say. I boast. Though I often wonder about that spambot. It seems to only get me on posts I consider significant and never when I yadayada. Very annoying. If I were superstitious I would invoke the powers and the principalities!

All the same, Spambot! I'm watching you!

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
budaatum:
What can I say, I boast. Though I often wonder about that spambot. It seems to only get me on posts I consider significant and never when I yadayada. Very annoying. If I were superstitious I would invoke the powers and the principalities!

All the same, Spambot! I'm watching you!
The anti spam moderation bot when on its period, will get and does get finicky

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:56pm On Sep 08, 2019
budaatum:

No! There is no merit in doing that which satan does and shudders!

No! Apart from "thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", neither should one create images or idols or definitions of God!

That's your definition. Why do you think God is a personal God, has a personality, and is not a concept of nature?

No, it does not make sense. Why do you think such nonsense 1013? Why "define God by our own limited reasoning"?

Human thinking of some. Especially non-Bible readers and non-Bible understanders. Those who understand their Bible, and more especially, God, do not limit God given abilities to reason. They in fact know that they cannot limit reasoning however much they try. I mean, just watch buda woefully fail in limiting the ability to reason of 1013!

Haha! Nice try. I am indeed human, but did I just not define God above now!

Ha! You didn't understand the post. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 08, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
The anti spam moderation bot when on its period, will get and does get finicky
I recall when jesusjnr was banned for spambot and he cried that he was under attack and later created a moniker titled jjresurrected....he didn't/doesn't know what spamming is grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 12:08am On Sep 09, 2019
Michellekabod2:
I recall when jesusjnr was banned for spambot and he cried that he was under attack and later created a moniker titled jjresurrected....he didn't/doesn't know what spamming is grin grin
Dont mind the bunch of ignoranus clowns. I remember one too, that falsely accused me of reporting him and so got him banned, when I never had the foggiest of how he got banned or what happened. He with another poster, were insistent, I colluded and/or conspired together with biased mod(s) to have him banned, all attempts made explaining my hands are clean and that it was the anti spam moderation bot fell on deaf ears
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 4:29am On Sep 09, 2019
joseph1013:

Ha! You didn't understand the post. cheesy
I dumb like that. It's why I keep returning for education, and commend you on this thread again too.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2019
THE PROMISE OF HEAVEN: CAN YAHWEH BE TRUSTED?

It is a mark of commonsense that when someone makes an important promise to you, you look at the person's antecedents with regards to keeping promises. If the person is known to be faithful to his words you take his promise serious otherwise you ignore it.

Millions today are spending their lives preparing for heaven which they have been promised in a 2,000 years old book said to have been inspired by Yahweh, the God of the Judeo-Christianity religions. In fact, many are so heavenly conscious that they have become earthy useless.

Let us ignore the fact that there is no one - dead or alive - who is known to have been to that place called "heaven." Let us also ignore the fact that no one knows the location of this heaven. We further have to ignore the fact that there is no non-biblical evidence of the existence of this Judeo-Christianity's heaven. These are not the interests of this write-up. The focus is on the reliability of Yahweh with respect to keeping promises. If we by miracle live by the commandments and rules in the bible, will we go to heaven when our lives here end?

Reading the bible, I discovered that Yahweh scarcely keep his promises. Below are some of his failed promises:

1. Adam and Eve were promised eternal life but omniscient Yahweh foiled the eternal life project and turned around to blame naive and ignorant Adam and Eve.

2. Yahweh promised to take the 'delivered' Israelites from Egypt to the "Promised land" but had the corpses of all but two of those who left Egypt littered in the wilderness.

3. Yahweh promised to drive out the Cannanites from the "Promised land" so that the Israelites may have hitch free settlement in Palestine but he didn't.

4. Himself or his son promised to revisit the earth but that promise is overdue by 2,000 years.

5. "Where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there", Yahweh promised his worshipers. The thousands of worshipers who have over the centuries, perished right inside churches, by the swords, gunshots, bombing, earthquakes, or when church buildings collapsed on them, are testimonies of the failure of Yahweh's promise.

6. Yahweh promised to always be with the Israelites and fight for them. The destruction of Jerusalem (70AD), and the Masada mass suicides that followed (73AD); the killings of Jews in the wake of the Bubonic plague of the 13th century; and, the holocaust of the 1940s, are some of the tragic chapters in the history of the Jews, and there was no supernatural intervention by Yahweh as promised.

7. Believers are promised that they can trample on snakes, scorpions, and undertake other risky things with faith in Yahweh and no harm will come to them. Many of those who took this promise serious did not live to tell the tale.

With all these failed promises why would any sane person take the promise of heaven serious? Also, Yahweh said he is a jealous God. A jealous being is emotional unstable; he can abort the heaven's project unexpectedly and blame believers for everything as he did in Eden to Adam, Eve, and the talking snake.

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2019
HI GUYS, JESUS HERE

Howdy all. I'm Jesus. Accepting me as your Lord and saviour is the most important thing you will ever do in your entire life. But you MUST have faith so I didn't want to make it too easy for you. All religions need faith, right?

So I worked in a few diversions to put you off track. First, of course, was the old virgin birth chestnut followed by the "died and was resurrected" finale. Several fake gods used these story-lines before me, so I added them just to plant a grain of doubt.

Worked a treat. These stories made me authentic to some people, and suspicious to others, perfect! Hahaha.

It would have been a no-brainer if I'd written my own scripture, so I came up with a better idea. First, I decided not to write a thing, not a single word, and I would have all the stories about me written in a foreign language so no locals understood them.

But it needed to be a bit trickier, so I made sure NOTHING was written about me at all until I'd been dead for 50 years. I used four different authors that couldn't be identified so no smart-arsed historians could work out if the authors actually knew me (which they didn't!) LMAO.

They were the basic diversions but I put in a lot more snippets for the doubters to grab hold of. I put in a few really dumb things that no god would do, like cursing a fig tree for not bearing fruit, wait for it, out of season! MUAHA

I realised I needed something to give people doubts thousands of years later. Took me a while to figure this one out but I did it and it was brill. I just told the locals that I'd return before they all died. The locals didn't twig it of course because they were dead but a couple of thousand years later, anyone could figure it out! ROTFLMFAO.

I've gotta shoot off now but remember, with faith, you can believe anything! Hahahaha, oh Dad, I think I'm having a heart attack!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:14am On Sep 13, 2019
WE ARE ON OUR OWN

We live on an unstable giant rock hurtling around a humongous nuclear-powered furnace at 67,000 miles per hour. The rock is simultaneously spinning on its own axis so we are all subject to rotational velocities up to 1,000 miles per hour. The rock itself has a thin crust of solid matter resting on a molten core of rock, iron and other metals that are always in motion and at temperatures up to 6,000° Celsius (that's hotter than the surface of the sun).

The rock is surrounded by a 300-mile deep layer of gasses constantly being heated by the nuclear furnace and cooled when facing away from it. This causes the gasses to move continuously. Evaporation from large bodies of water means the gases contain some 40,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water.

The surprising thing is how tranquil this raging, dynamic system feels to us most of the time. But the tranquility is punctuated at intervals by enormous violence. It comes in the form of floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and more. When these events occur some of us may perish, sometimes thousands of us will perish.

These deaths are not meted out by God, but by physics. We cannot stop these events by holding our hands together and praying--there are no gods able to cause these disasters and none able to prevent them. The Earth kills Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and atheists with equal indifference.

What we can do, is learn how to predict when such horrors will occur and find a way to escape them. We are already quite good at predicting the course of hurricanes and can often give reasonable warning of tsunamis. But there is a lot more to learn.

For as long as we live on this planet, we will be at its mercy. The best we can do is learn enough to keep ourselves safe. We are on our own. It is much better to accept that, and work on the problem than to imagine we have an invisible friend who can magically keep us safe.

His track record speaks for itself.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Dantedasz(m): 10:08am On Sep 13, 2019
joseph1013:
WE ARE ON OUR OWN

We live on an unstable giant rock hurtling around a humongous nuclear-powered furnace at 67,000 miles per hour. The rock is simultaneously spinning on its own axis so we are all subject to rotational velocities up to 1,000 miles per hour. The rock itself has a thin crust of solid matter resting on a molten core of rock, iron and other metals that are always in motion and at temperatures up to 6,000° Celsius (that's hotter than the surface of the sun).

The rock is surrounded by a 300-mile deep layer of gasses constantly being heated by the nuclear furnace and cooled when facing away from it. This causes the gasses to move continuously. Evaporation from large bodies of water means the gases contain some 40,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water.

The surprising thing is how tranquil this raging, dynamic system feels to us most of the time. But the tranquility is punctuated at intervals by enormous violence. It comes in the form of floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and more. When these events occur some of us may perish, sometimes thousands of us will perish.

These deaths are not meted out by God, but by physics. We cannot stop these events by holding our hands together and praying--there are no gods able to cause these disasters and none able to prevent them. The Earth kills Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and atheists with equal indifference.

What we can do, is learn how to predict when such horrors will occur and find a way to escape them. We are already quite good at predicting the course of hurricanes and can often give reasonable warning of tsunamis. But there is a lot more to learn.

For as long as we live on this planet, we will be at its mercy. The best we can do is learn enough to keep ourselves safe. We are on our own. It is much better to accept that, and work on the problem than to imagine we have an invisible friend who can magically keep us safe.

His track record speaks for itself.

Nice write.
I think you need to visit this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/5403904/understanding-priesthood-over-creature#82004951

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by visita: 11:23pm On Sep 13, 2019
smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:34pm On Sep 18, 2019
THE PERFECT ARGUMENT AGAINST BLASPHEMY LAWS?

God either exists or he doesn't. If he doesn't exist, it is unnecessary, unjust and crass to punish people for speaking against a storybook character. If God does exist, humans should leave him free to decide whether a person has blasphemed, whether that person should be punished, and in what way. It is presumptuous, overreaching and disrespectful for humans to take that judgment away from God.

Despite this simple logic, many countries do punish blasphemers. Sometimes, especially in Islamic countries, the punishments are extremely harsh and may include beheading or other forms of execution. How can this be justified?

Some people say these laws are not there to protect God but to protect believers from being offended, but this makes no sense. No one has a right to not be offended. No country has a law that would throw me in jail for telling someone I don't like their shoes or their hairstyle. No, these laws only relate to gods and religions. These laws exist to protect gods and religions.

And that raises another question. Why do gods and religions uniquely need protection from criticism? We do not have laws to protect physics, astronomy or any other branch of learning from criticism--indeed, in these fields, criticism is welcomed and valued.

If your aim is to seek the truth, blasphemy laws make no sense--truth-seekers encourage criticism. Blasphemy laws only make sense if your aim is to force people to believe things that cannot be shown to be true and are therefore vulnerable to criticism.

Things like gods and religions.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2019
WHY I LOVE CREATIONISTS... AND WHY I DON'T

Creationists believe a certain explanation for the origin of life, especially for the origin of human life.

The thing I love about creationists is how hyper-sceptical they are. That's brilliant. My motto is don't take anyone's word for anything significant. Demand validated evidence for every explanation--your beliefs are too important to waste on things that are not true.

It's just a pity, after all that excellent scepticism, creationists let themselves down by credulously believing a far-fetched, magical explanation from the Iron Age. There is not a SHRED of evidence that this explanation is correct, and much evidence casts fatal doubt on it.

I don't get it. Creationists are hyper-sceptical about an explanation that is supported by an immense weight of evidence but swallow whole another that comes with no evidence a all.

Come on, a little consistency would be nice guys.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2019
OUR SURREAL SPECIES

Honestly, this is completely surreal to me.

I speak to superficially sane adults and find they truly believe there is an invisible and undetectable superman who loves every one of us and monitors everything we do and think. When we die he will restore each of us to life, and decide whether to torture us forever or grant us a life of bliss that will never end.

By most accounts, the great majority of the superman's beloved humans will be consigned to the eternal torture option.

How do the sane adults discover these incredible things? In every case, a family member, a friend or a teacher TELLS them stories, without offering a shred of evidence, and they just BELIEVE them. (Almost always this happens whilst the sane adults are still children.)

As far as I know, no other animals believe stories like these. Apparently, you have to be a very smart animal indeed to be capable of believing such crazy stories.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 11:47am On Sep 21, 2019
joseph1013:
WHY I LOVE CREATIONISTS... AND WHY I DON'T

Creationists believe a certain explanation for the origin of life, especially for the origin of human life.
Senseless Cynical Censorship: Humanists Target Creationism In Welsh Schools
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 11:51am On Sep 21, 2019
joseph1013:
THE PERFECT ARGUMENT AGAINST BLASPHEMY LAWS?

Blasphemy laws only make sense if your aim is to force people to believe things that cannot be shown to be true and are therefore vulnerable to criticism.

Things like gods and religions.

Support Human Rights!

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:12pm On Sep 21, 2019
WHAT CHRISTIANS FORGET

We are all horrified when we hear about parents sending their children on suicide missions. It happens but it's hard to imagine anything more despicable.

But what Christians forget is their own God may have been the very first father to send his son on a suicide mission. Actually, God went one ghastly step further than any modern fanatical parents--his son was expressly conceived for one purpose; so God could have him killed.

Isn't that even more despicable?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:39am On Sep 25, 2019
Germane Reminder

You're not a Christian because you found the truth. You're a Christian because the people who raped, plundered, exploited and enslaved your ancestors told them that christianity was the best religion for them.

If the Chinese had gotten to Africa first, all of you will be declaring today that Buddhism is the only true religion.

It's that simple.

14 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (130) (Reply)

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.