Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230076 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2020
janettee:

You are a religious bigot and promote tribalism?.

Someone with your level of supposed 'education' shouldn't be doing that but here we are lipsrsealed

Equality is a farce.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

May be we should start ignoring people who say atheism is a religion because we know why they are doing it. They do it to blunt the edge off the attack on religion as a redundant tool. LoLz only a dumkopf says atheism is a religion anyway.
while you can claim that we're doing it to edge you off, I can also claim that you're ignoring the claim because you fear it might be true.

Why we make claims shouldn't matter.

What should matter is the truth value of the claims we make.

Most of you are guilty of almost everything you accuse religionists of.

You are as dogmatic and have the tendency to be fanatical as religionists.

You mock the God of the Christian faith but you refuse to critically look for the deficiencies of the god we worship in science, measurement and observations.

You both have dictatorial tendencies.
While Christians insist on spreading the good news of God and hold faith as a pathway to the truth, you look to suppress faith and every religious beliefs, and you place science as a yardstick for attaining the truth. Forgetting that faith is a neccesary ingredient for knowledge. Forgetting that faith and reasoning are two sides of a coin.

Look in the mirror you're no different from the people you mock.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 2:12pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:
while you can claim that we're doing it to edge you off, I can also claim that you're ignoring the claim because you fear it might be true.

Why we make claims shouldn't matter.

What should matter is the truth value of the claims we make.

Most of you are guilty of almost everything you accuse religionists of.

You are as dogmatic and have the tendency to be fanatical as religionists.

You mock the God of the Christian faith but you refuse to critically look for the deficiencies of the god we worship in science, measurement and observations.

You both have dictatorial tendencies.
While Christians insist on spreading the good news of God and hold faith as a pathway to the truth, you look to suppress faith and every religious beliefs, and you place science as a yardstick for attaining the truth. Forgetting that faith is a neccesary ingredient for knowledge. Forgetting that faith and reasoning are two sides of a coin.

Look in the mirror you're no different from the people you mock.

Don't make yourself a liar. If you cannot point out where I have attempted to suppress faith and religious belief then refrain from attributing that to me or you can just be a liar, make your choice.

May be you should go look up the meaning of religion in the mean time.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 2:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

Don't make yourself a liar. If you cannot point out where I have attempted to suppress faith and religious belief then refrain from attributing that to me or you can just be a liar, make your choice.

May be you should go look up the meaning of religion in the mean time.

Come on, don't be salty. When I say you, I say atheists in general.

It's very funny to hear an atheist tell me to be careful with definitions when his whole belief system is rooted in faulty definitions.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 2:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Come on, don't be salty. When I say you, I say atheists in general.

It's very funny to hear an atheist tell me to be careful with definitions when his whole belief system is rooted in faulty definitions.

LoL! Says the man complaining about how atheism is a religion and how atheists are out to suppress religion, very rich. Your whole rant is the very meaning of equivocation while you are yet to show how atheism is beliefs rooted in faulty definitions. Very rich bullshit.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

LoL! Says the man complaining about how atheism is a religion and how atheists are out to suppress religion, very rich. Your whole rant is the very meaning of equivocation while you are yet to show how an atheism is beliefs rooted in faulty definitions. Very rich bullshit.
The issue is with you dummies.

You assume religion is all about gods and praises and worship and then you infer from your faulty assumptions.

Look around the thread, you claim religion is bad, god doesn't exist etc When you even don't have concrete definition of these terms. Don't you feel stupid making conclusion on things you're ignorant of?

Because Christians worship a god, does that mean all religions are centered on god worship?

You think the nonsense greco-roman Christianity given to us by the catholic is the true Christianity. Then you make nonsense deductions about religion using the Nigerian Christianity as a case study.

If religion is bad, why is Confucianism credited for the growth and success of Japan?

That is one of the many problems with atheism.

Confidence in ignorance.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 3:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
Logic is rooted in language

Once you have a faulty or ambiguous definition or a linguistic problem, logic will fail because inference can also be made from the so called linguistic problem.

Concepts like good, bad, God etc have ambiguous definitions. Any attempt at inferring from these definition is a waste of time.

Until you have a concrete definition of God, you cannot make conclusions.

How can you do so when you shut your mind against understanding what God is?

This is why atheism is regarded as closed-minded. You shut your mind towards experiences which transcends the natural.

If a scientist dreams of discovering a time machine, he must have faith that it is possible and also have faith that he can do it. There's no other way.

All unknown truths and knowledge lie in the unknown and how do you step into the unknown if not with faith?

Faith is the first step of every discovery.

Don't shut your mind against faith.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 4:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:
The issue is with you dummies.

You assume religion is all about gods and praises and worship and then you infer from your faulty assumptions.

Look around the thread, you claim religion is bad, god doesn't exist etc When you even don't have concrete definition of these terms. Don't you feel stupid making conclusion on things you're ignorant of?

Because Christians worship a god, does that mean all religions are centered on god worship?

You think the nonsense greco-roman Christianity given to us by the catholic is the true Christianity. Then you make nonsense deductions about religion using the Nigerian Christianity as a case study.

If religion is bad, why is Confucianism credited for the growth and success of Japan?

That is one of the many problems with atheism.

Confidence in ignorance.

You dunce, where did you see me claim god doesn't exist? You see how you make yourself look stupid. BTW what claims do you even know I have made before you can go on to say whether or not my claims are founded on faulty definitions. You are the one making yourself look stupid by making hasty and stupid generalizations.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 4:36pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:
Logic is rooted in language

Once you have a faulty or ambiguous definition or a linguistic problem, logic will fail because inference can also be made from the so called linguistic problem.

Concepts like good, bad, God etc have ambiguous definitions. Any attempt at inferring from these definition is a waste of time.

Until you have a concrete definition of God, you cannot make conclusions.

How can you do so when you shut your mind against understanding what God is?

This is why atheism is regarded as closed-minded. You shut your mind towards experiences which transcends the natural.

If a scientist dreams of discovering a time machine, he must have faith that it is possible and also have faith that he can do it. There's no other way.

All unknown truths and knowledge lie in the unknown and how do you step into the unknown if not with faith?

Faith is the first step of every discovery.

Don't shut your mind against faith.

Have you asked what definition of god we have before you go on to spit nonsense? Dummy.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 4:59pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

You dunce, where did you see me claim god doesn't exist? You see how you make yourself look stupid. BTW what claims do you even know I have made before you can go on to say whether or not my claims are founded on faulty definitions. You are the one making yourself look stupid by making hasty and stupid generalizations.

A sleak way of excluding yourself.

I once said by saying you, I meant a common behavior with you atheists but you just happened to be an expert at dodging and shifting goalposts.

All of a sudden, you have never made claims about God or religion.

Funny lots....
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:

A sleak way of excluding yourself.

I once said by saying you, I meant a common behavior with you atheists but you just happened to be an expert at dodging and shifting goalposts.

All of a sudden, you have never made claims about God or religion.

Funny lots....

You are talking to me and I am answering for myself, other atheists will tell you what they think if you bothered asking instead of making stupid generalizations.

You really are a dunce sha. Read what I wrote again and tell me how it says I have made no claims about god or religion. Dummy.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 5:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

Have you asked what definition of god we have before you go on to spit nonsense? Dummy.

Why should I care about an atheist's definition of God when I know your belief system is rooted in faulty definitions?

I suspect you also don't know the definition of dummy.

Funny lots.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 5:26pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Why should I care about an atheist's definition of God when I know your belief system is rooted in faulty definitions?

I suspect you also don't know the definition of dummy.

Funny lots.

LMFAO! This is dummy who wants to engage? You are making stupid generalizations and you assume you are able to engage? LoL. You are a waste of time.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

You're the dunce here. You're not only a dunce. You're a hypocrite. I made a claim that atheism is a religion and You made this comment.

LordReed:

May be we should start ignoring people who say atheism is a religion because we know why they are doing it. They do it to blunt the edge off the attack on religion as a redundant tool. LoLz only a dumkopf says atheism is a religion anyway.

You must be a fool to call religion a redundant tool.

According to wikipedia, This is the definition of religion.

"Religion is a social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.[1] However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion.[2][3]

Different religions may or may not contain various elements ranging from the divine,[4] sacred things,[5] faith,[6] a supernatural being or supernatural beings[7] or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life".[8] Religious practices may include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration (of deities and/or saints), sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trances, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service, or other aspects of human culture."

Tell me how football, music, art are all redundant tools and I'll once again tell show you how ignorance is way of life to you lots..

This is my last reply.

Dummy!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:

You're the dunce here. You're not only a dunce. You're a hypocrite. I made a claim that atheism is a religion and You made this comment.

You must be a fool to call religion a redundant tool.

According to wikipedia, This is the definition of religion.

"Religion is a social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.[1] However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion.[2][3]

Different religions may or may not contain various elements ranging from the divine,[4] sacred things,[5] faith,[6] a supernatural being or supernatural beings[7] or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life".[8] Religious practices may include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration (of deities and/or saints), sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trances, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service, or other aspects of human culture."

Tell me how football, music, art are all redundant tools and I'll once again tell show you how ignorance is way of life to you lots..

This is my last reply.

Dummy!

It is dumkopfs like you that attempt the equivocation of calling sports a religion. Nobody on a day to day basis calls any of these things you mention religion until they want to make brain dead equivocations in other to sound intelligent. You are dumb and continue to be dumb whenever you use this equivocation.

No need to waste my time on a dumkopf who does not know the meaning of the words he is bandying about.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 6:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

It is dumkopfs like you that attempt the equivocation of calling sports a religion. Nobody on a day to day basis calls any of these things you mention religion until they want to make brain dead equivocations in other to sound intelligent. You are dumb and continue to be dumb whenever you use this equivocation.

No need to waste my time on a dumkopf who does not know the meaning of the words he his bandying about.

Fool. Did you not see where I mentioned that Confucianism and taoism helped in the moral uprightness and development of Asia?

Fool, Are Confucianism and Taoism redundant tools?

Fool, with your atheism, Are you smarter or morally upright than the average Asian?

Fool, can't see that the lack of universal definition of religion is why I'm still here trying to fix you?

Fool, if there's still a serious contention on the definition of religion, don't you see that you're suffering from stupidity to make a conclusion saying religion is a redundant tool?

Fucking idiot calling me dumb.

Your father should have ejaculated on his bedsheet instead of ejaculating in your mum....

Let's do it the insult way since you have refused, rather since you're not sensible enough to recognise your own stupidity.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:24pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Fool. Did you not see where I mentioned that Confucianism and taoism helped in the moral uprightness and development of Asia?

Fool, Are Confucianism and Taoism redundant tools?

Fool, with your atheism, Are you smarter or morally upright than the average Asian?

Fool, can't see that the lack of universal definition of religion is why I'm still here trying to fix you?

Fool, if there's still a serious contention on the definition of religion, don't you see that you're suffering from stupidity to make a conclusion saying religion is a redundant tool?

Fucking idiot calling me dumb.

Your father should have ejaculated on his bedsheet instead of ejaculating in your mum....

Let's do it the insult way since you have refused, rather since you're not sensible enough to recognise your own stupidity.

Brainless zombie what does all this have to do with calling sports and music religion?

Who cares if an Asian is more smart and morally upright than I am, what again does that have to do with calling sports and music religion?

You are dumb and remain dumb.

Meanwhile, my father's sperm has more thinking capacity than the white compost heap you assume you have as a brain.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrColdsweat: 6:50pm On Apr 12, 2020
LordReed:

Brainless zombie what does all this have to do with calling sports and music religion?

Who cares if an Asian is more smart and morally upright than I am, what again does that have to do with calling sports and music religion?

You are dumb and remain dumb.

Meanwhile, my father's sperm is has more thinking capacity than the white compost heap you assume you have as a brain.
you know you messed up so you had to keep dodging like you always do.
I bet you now feel ashamed calling religion a redundant tool.

And Of course, by my definition and several definitions, football is a religion as long as it is a systematic approach for the cultivation of happiness and passion. You hear me? Passion and happiness.

I could give a proof for my claim but I doubt you would comprehend due to your battle with stupidity.

No, calling you stupid is not an insult. According to Kant, stupidity is a deficiency in sound reasoning which results in poor judgement.

Calling religion a redundant tool is proof that you have so much stupidity in you.

If your father saw this claim you made, he'd curse the day he thought of sleeping and peeing you in your mum.

Just look at you, you don't know what religion is.

Man, go and tear your educational certificates. You've failed everyone.

Also, I dare you to make another claim.

Let me butcher you once more.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 7:26pm On Apr 12, 2020
MrColdsweat:
you know you messed up so you had to keep dodging like you always do.
I bet you now feel ashamed calling religion a redundant tool.

And Of course, by my definition and several definitions, football is a religion as long as it is a systematic approach for the cultivation of happiness and passion. You hear me? Passion and happiness.

I could give a proof for my claim but I doubt you would comprehend due to your battle with stupidity.

No, calling you stupid is not an insult. According to Kant, stupidity is a deficiency in sound reasoning which results in poor judgement.

Calling religion a redundant tool is proof that you have so much stupidity in you.

If your father saw this claim you made, he'd curse the day he thought of sleeping and peeing you in your mum.

Just look at you, you don't know what religion is.

Man, go and tear your educational certificates. You've failed everyone.

Also, I dare you to make another claim.

Let me butcher you once more.

Oh now its your definition we need to go by because your definition is the end all be all. Zombie like you with compost heap for a brain, if anyone can make up any stupid definition they wish, then why should we listen to your specific brand of stupid?

Brainless dolt, you amass many words in a bid to sound intelligent but you end up sounding like a feces bred fly that mistakenly fell into a glass of cheap ogogoro, the type that rots people's brain. No wonder you sound like the incoherent pile of trash you are.

Edit: BTW you brainless dolt I give you the assignment to report on the meaning of redundant. Let's see whether there are still functioning cells in that compost heap you call a brain or it has all turned to putrified rotted mush.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:44pm On Apr 12, 2020
No single faith healer anywhere in the world has called a coronavirus patient and laid hands to heal him.

Just take a moment to think about it.

Not a single one!

This is especially true when you realize that there is no better occasion to manifest the glory and greatness of God than at this point in human history.

I put these things out there so believers can understand what lies they have lived.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by shekauvsbuhari: 8:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
joseph1013:
No single faith healer anywhere in the world has called a coronavirus patient and laid hands to heal him.

Just take a moment to think about it.

Not a single one!

This is especially true when you realize that there is no better occasion to manifest the glory and greatest of God than at this point in human history.

I put these things out there so believers can understand what lies they have lived.
. I want to let you know that divine healing exists and is a reality. There are servants of God with that divine gift. I'm a living witness. However the problem is that most if not all of them began to take the glory as if it in their hands to heal anybody or perform miracles of healing. They now organise crusades and tell people to come and receive their healing. That's wrong. Miracles are supernatural interventions of God in the affairs of man. A means whereby God sets aside the natural order of things or natural laws to do extra ordinary things. It is not under the control of any man. That is why a man of God can pray for twenty persons and only three may get instant or miraculous solutions. It's at God's discretion so to say. But the men of God began to feel puffed up and started boasting of their gifts and power and began to make it look as if they control things in order to draw following to themselves and make money too. They don't control anything. God heals supernaturally but the men of God have made the things of God to look like a scam. So situations like this humbles them and puts them in their place. Men of God are mere vessels that God chooses when and how to use. The power is God's and if God does not want to act, they can't do anything. However they don't say the whole truth to the people. That's why people who don't know the truth, and they're in the majority literally worship them.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Omar09(m): 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
shekauvsbuhari:
. I want to let you know that divine healing exists and is a reality. There are servants of God with that divine gift. I'm a living witness. However the problem is that most if not all of them began to take the glory as if it in their hands to heal anybody or perform miracles of healing. They now organise crusades and tell people to come and receive their healing. That's wrong. Miracles are supernatural interventions of God in the affairs of man. A means whereby God sets aside the natural order of things or natural laws to do extra ordinary things. It is not under the control of any man. That is why a man of God can pray for twenty persons and only three may get instant or miraculous solutions. It's at God's discretion so to say. But the men of God began to feel puffed up and started boasting of their gifts and power and began to make it look as if they control things in order to draw following to themselves and make money too. They don't control anything. God heals supernaturally but the men of God have made the things of God to look like a scam. So situations like this humbles them and puts them in their place. Men of God are mere vessels that God chooses when and how to use. The power is God's and if God does not want to act, they can't do anything. However they don't say the whole truth to the people. That's why people who don't know the truth, and they're in the majority literally worship them.

Why do I try so hard to make someone adamant to our belief about God believe in him. What you do is ignore them. When they're tired, they'd have rest and probably start their ranting again.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 11:10pm On Apr 13, 2020
Omar09:

Why do I try so hard to make someone adamant to our belief about God believe in him. What you do is ignore them. When they're tired, they'd have rest and probably start their ranting again.

Omar666:

Why do you try so hard to make someone adamant to our belief about love believe there are faithful girls, and that single mothers are not second class citizens? What you do is ignore them. When they're tired, they'd have rest and probably start their ranting again.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2020
shekauvsbuhari:
. I want to let you know that divine healing exists and is a reality.
Go and demonstrate your so-called divine healing to cure Covid-19 patients in isolation centers.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 12:42am On Apr 14, 2020
gensteejay:

Go and demonstrate your so-called divine healing to cure Covid-19 patients in isolation centers.

See what stubborn stupidity has caused. The man's wife is sick while he is dead. Even the stupid deserve a chance to live.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by shekauvsbuhari: 7:09am On Apr 14, 2020
gensteejay:

you have comprehension problems. Go read all again with understanding before you comment.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Omar09(m): 7:57am On Apr 14, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Caps.

I like the new name, looks unique but familiar. Also I like the game you are playing here, and I must say, I'm a Noob and I'm intrigued!

Howdie BTW?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:27am On Apr 30, 2020
These guys are ridiculous.

You won't see them criticize Boko Haram for their killings...

You won't see them criticize those who have arrested an atheist in a secular Nigeria for 'blasphemy' (whatever that even means)...

But they will be out en masse saying, "But why did Mubarak Bala criticize Islam?"

Bros...you're a potential terrorist. You just don't have the opportunity yet.

No belief should be above criticism. None whatsoever!

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:10pm On Apr 30, 2020
Idùh Amì Ibégwù

I grew up in a majorly Muslim community, back then as a young kid anytime we listened to news of Christian/Muslim riot in the far north we're always gripped with the fear of an impending doom. As Catholics ourselves we were always treated as second class citizens despite been well off on average with other members of the community.

During christmas we were always advised by our Muslim neighbors not to slaughter our goats by ourselves as that will render the food as "haram" so my parents will always call on the service of a Muslim butcher to slaughter the goat. We were communally marginalised and treated as "kafirs"

I remember attending "karatu" as popularly called with my Muslim friends and could even read the Arabic alphabets to a certain point. Until someday my mum got fed up and we moved out of that environment. This childhood and teenage hood upbringing shaped my understanding on how to live in peaceful coexistence with a Muslim.

One of the knowledge I acquired during this time was: "never argue with a Muslim you'll stir an upheaval" this simple and basic truth has always influenced my dealing with them.

The term "moderate islam" is not just vague, it is untrue and evanescent in the face of logical reasoning or religious argument and criticism. The average Muslim only understand peaceful coexistence on the ground that you don't talk down on his/her religion.

They're not just conservative they see a criticism of their religion as an existential threat. Automatically the human mind is susceptible to attack anything when confronted with an existential threat. This explains why most Muslim are violent when their religion is criticised, Islam has been infused into their subconscious mind as an existential struggle. This automatically breeds people who become violent when faced with conflicting argument against their faith. It also create a "we vs them" mentality though this is common among other religion.

The average Muslim as a child attended Quranic school "karatu" where they're fed with a lot of repugnant and retrogressive doctrine by their fanatical ustaz and imam. This indoctrination would've been easy to escape if only it were done by their parents like Christianity but unfortunately, it is done by their ustaz because most of the parents find it difficult to teach in Arabic language or understand the Quran.

Sometimes I laugh at the extreme left when they coin terms like "islamophobia" or when they say things like "Islam is not a problem". It facsinates me that people thinks, a religion that has thrived on 1500 years of blood conquest without any form of Reformation all of a sudden is now a religion of peace! this kind of thought is insidious. Muslim are only peaceful when they're a minority, when they become majority they will do all it takes to sanction dissenters, impede freedom of speech, trample on minority right and women's right.

We've been perplexed at the recruitment protocols of terrorist groups around the world like Isis, iswap and boko haram. If we understand the basic tenets of islams and the gamut of its doctrine we will be shocked at the discovery that at the core of its doctrine it is a fertile ground for hate and terrorism to thrive.

Every Muslim can be easily recruited into terrorism when presented with truncated and manipulated version of their holy book.
Ignorance also play a large role, islam has constantly wage war on intellectualism, sound reason and western education, they see it as a vaccine to the virus of Islamism and thus, will go any length to clampdown on intellectual progress.

Albeit, the religion is known for its soothing effect and the comfort it brings to its followers, we must always extol the fact that the religion should not be allowed into any public discuss, or be incorporated as law in any system because of its repressive nature.

I use to be a champion of anti religious reformation, but from the events that have transpired around me and from an optical view of nigeria and how the country is currently battling the grim effect of two opposing foreign religion whose followers are in perpetual loggerhead with each other, it is imperative to add that the transformation and development we seek as a country will always elude us, because a society in conflict over religion is not a fertile ground for any tangible or sustainable development.

The arrest of Mubarak bala by the Nigerian police force and his repatriation to kano brings this issue to the front burner, how do we claim as a country that operate on a secular values and laws, still maintain a law as atavistic and barbaric as blasphemy. this kind of law has no place in a sane society driven by rationalism and scientific progress.

We may paint the picture all we want, we can scorn Mubarak's recklessness and deride him for criticising islam while he live in an ultraconservative northern part of the country. Just to sound brilliant, but the fact still remain that freedom of speech, expression and religion is boldly scribbled in the Nigerian constitution, except we want to extol and aggrandise sharia law to trump the Nigerian constitution, which is what beau harry and his government are covertly trying to entrench. We also hear arguments llike "religion shouldn't be criticised" well! Jokes on you. No idea is above criticism, if science had adopted an anti criticism model, we wouldn't have been searching for a covid19 vaccine or make any intellectual progress as a society.

As this debate rage on we must ask ourselves these questions, who is next? Many Christians have resorted to the narrative of scorn because bala is an atheist, but their hypocrisy is alarming because theyre unconsciously enabling a system that endangers Christians in the north.

Leaving Mubarak in the gloomy grip of fanatics to be dealt with Because of a mild criticism is automatically and systematically upholding an ominous future that will renounce the use of sound reason and entrench punitive major for freedom of speech and repression of dissenting opinion and independent thoughts.

#freemubarakbala

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:50pm On Apr 30, 2020
Been reading:

A Blasphemy law is a law that penalises speech or acts that disrespect God or the sacred. Blasphemy laws are said to be used to protect religious beliefs and also to prevent religious crises.

The Nigerian constitution provides a Customary (secular) system and a system that incorporates Sharia. The Customary system prohibits blasphemy under section 204 of Nigeria's Criminal Code.

Section 204 is entitled "Insult to religion". According to the section:
"Any person who does an act which any class of persons consider as a public insult on their religion, with the intention that they should consider the act such an insult, and any person who does an unlawful act with the knowledge that any class of persons will consider it such an insult, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years."

In addition, Islam is the main religion in twelve out of Nigeria's thirty-six states. Hence, in 1999, the Islam-dominated states chose to have Sharia courts as well as Customary courts.

A Sharia court may treat blasphemy as deserving of several punishments up to, and including, execution.

Here is the constitutional contradictions-
The prohibition against blasphemy in the Criminal Code and the prohibition recognised by Sharia, as stated above, may not be lawful because Section 38 of the Constitution entitles every Nigerian to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion, and Section 39 gives every Nigerian the right to freedom of expression.

What’s Wrong With Blasphemy Laws?

1. They violate the human right to freedom of expression

2. They protect religious beliefs and practices, institutions and leaders, from legitimate and often necessary criticism

3. They are intrinsically bad, subjective, inconsistent laws; there is no “right way” to use them

4. They legitimize vigilantism, mob violence, and persecution of minorities

My thoughts:

In short, blasphemy laws are unmeasurable, unfair and encourage injustice. Though Nigeria is an unsafe environment generally and one should look out for oneself, when are we going to effect many needed changes? When are we going to break free from religious shackles?

Beliefs should be subject to reason, criticism and change. Considering all untold evil perpetrated due to beliefs systems, why do you think that even the presently treasured beliefs of yours will hold any water in times to come?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2020
joseph1013:
These guys are ridiculous.

You won't see them criticize Boko Haram for their killings...

You won't see them criticize those who have arrested an atheist in a secular Nigeria for 'blasphemy' (whatever that even means)...

But they will be out en masse saying, "But why did Mubarak Bala criticize Islam?"

Bros...you're a potential terrorist. You just don't have the opportunity yet.

No belief should be above criticism. None whatsoever!

RELIGION OF PEACE, SPECIAL EDITION.

I'LL TURN BARBECUE THE DAY THESE MUSLIMS GET THEIR HANDS ON ME!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2020
joseph1013:
Beliefs should be subject to reason, criticism and change. Considering all untold evil perpetrated due to beliefs systems, why do you think that even the presently treasured beliefs of yours will hold any water in times to come?
In an ideal world, with ideal people, Beliefs would be subject to reason, criticism and change, but since we all happen to live in the real world where beliefs are not subject to reason, criticism and change, they really ought only to be treasured by the holder of the beliefs, and blasphemy against them is a ridiculous notion, which would only change the more we blaspheme against them, which is why one must stand against those who wish to persecute Mubarak Bala, least they finish with him and come for anyone else who does not believe what some might want some to believe!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.