Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? (27429 Views)

What Do You Think Of First Fruit Offering? / If You Read This And Still Later Pay Tithe And First-fruit, Then Prove Me Wrong. / Should Christians Pay First Fruit Offering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by QuiverBox(f): 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
what does my moniker have to do with this? pls let's end it here. i'm not paying. thank u.

Who talked about Paying?

Check your post you keep quoting pple , claiming they said this or that.

Cant you just use your head and stop implying pple's comment.

Its obvious you started earning some "chicken change"

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by popson1st: 3:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
First fruit.
Tithes.
Religion.

Summation:

S-C-A-M.

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by clevvermind(m): 3:11pm On Jan 04, 2015
asodeboyede:

You just just spoilt my mood!
Pls be careful and mindful of your words! Stop giving fake and deluded meanings to peoples word!
I won't hesitate to ignore if you quote me again!
it seems u implied that. no offense.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by deavicky(m): 3:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
Paul, peter james etc do not need it our pastors need it so give them and stop thisPaul and peter something
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by laremsworldwide: 3:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
Is first fruits not an old testament practice under the law of moses? Are born again christians suppose to pay first fruits today? Did paul, peter, james etc collect first fruits offering or salary from their members? Why then are pastors collecting first fruits today? I need answers to this?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by brocab: 3:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
Good Question" And they reject the N/T laws too, they believe Money can buy love.
mencade4:
why do pastors accept tithes and offerings yet reject the laws of the old testaments?

thieves

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by flipboss(m): 3:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
imas:

Thanks for this post, but please tell me where it is written in the new testament; we should pay tithes, I'd really appreciate it.
Matt 23:23; Luke 11:42... Jesus talked about not leaving 'a-tenth' (which is also called tithe) unpaid.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Trafficjam11: 3:23pm On Jan 04, 2015
[b] No, you are to give as you please, any amount you deem fit as an offering to your maker.

“Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for
God loveth a cheerful giver.” (2Corinthians 9:7)

First fruit offerings in our dispensation is a doctrine of men.

See what the bible says about the law (ALL, 613 of them, First fruits inclusive)
GAL3:10-14

•10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM."
•11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
•12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."
•13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us-for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"

I hope this helps.

[/b]
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by flipboss(m): 3:23pm On Jan 04, 2015
Danabu:

minus tithe pls! Where do you see the requirements for tithe in the new testament?
Matt 23:23; Luke 11:42... Jesus talked about not leaving 'a-tenth' (which is also called tithe) unpaid.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by laremsworldwide: 3:25pm On Jan 04, 2015
You will pay first fruit and still pay 10% of salary every month,hmmmm be wise.in islam 10% is known as zakat and nothing like first fruit.the zakat is paid yearly after all expenses and it goes to the needy(motherless baby home,individual in need etc) and also for the up keep of the mosque or house of GOD.above all,keep the 10 commandment,believe in the holy book,believe in all the messengers of GOD,pray 5 times daily and know that Prophet Isa(Jesus) is coming back.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by God2man(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
Smurfette:
Yes, Proverbs 3:9, honour the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your Crops.

Biblically correct.

God2man.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by clevvermind(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2015
QuiverBox:

Who talked about Paying?

Check your post you keep quoting pple , claiming they said this or that.

Cant you just use your head and stop implying pple's comment.

Its obvious you started earning some "chicken change"

] if it makes u happy. pls i want us to end this. i just ask this question to get an answer. i'm not that vast in the bible. why are u then insulting me? if u can't answer the question, why not keep quiet. instead of attacking me.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by TDstarr: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
Is first fruits not an old testament practice under the law of moses? Are born again christians suppose to pay first fruits today? Did paul, peter, james etc collect first fruits offering or salary from their members? Why then are pastors collecting first fruits today? I need answers to this?
its biblical,
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by pring: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
Never will I. Old things has passed away.
more over no pastor helped me in paying my school fees.
for me, my parents n the needy will be the only way God will reward me.

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by QuiverBox(f): 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
] if it makes u happy. pls i want us to end this. i just ask this question to get an answer. i'm not that vast in the bible. why are u then insulting me? if u can't answer the question, why not keep quiet. instead of attacking me.

To be Honest you have a very big problem with simple comprehension.

How did i attack you how did i insult you? Pls show me.

its obvious even if someone gives you and answer to you questions you will not be able to understand or use it Because, you are have a tough time to understand simple statements.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by tonychristopher: 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
I hate selective applications.. this is an old testament men law

If it is to be applied then all old testament laws such as polygamy etc should be applied also

Then we should be using pigeon f
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by tonychristopher: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
But did Jesus command us to pay first fruit offering and tithes

If this is an old testament law then let us follow all the laws in totality be it old or new testament

That is my rake and take

No selective application
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Sheggy13(m): 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2015
imas:

Thanks for this post, but please tell me where it is written in the new testament; we should pay tithes, I'd really appreciate it.
Jesus Christ admonished the paying of tithes when he was criticising the scribes and pharisees. Check Matthew 23:23
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by pring: 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
Christ has paid it all.
pastors are scammers.
are they not human beings, so who will they pay theirs to?
Remember no one has made heaven already.
we all are on the race, be u pastors, father, deacon, evangelist etc.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Sheggy13(m): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
laremsworldwide:
You will pay first fruit and still pay 10% of salary every month,hmmmm be wise.in islam 10% is known as zakat and nothing like first fruit.the zakat is paid yearly after all expenses and it goes to the needy(motherless baby home,individual in need etc) and also for the up keep of the mosque or house of GOD.above all,keep the 10 commandment,believe in the holy book,believe in all the messengers of GOD,pray 5 times daily and know that Prophet Isa(Jesus) is coming back.
What does the Holy Quaran say about the coming back of Jesus. To come back and do what exactly? Please educate me on this. Seems there are more similarities in the two religions than I initially thought.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Trafficjam11: 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
flipboss:

[b]
When Jesus spoke those words, he was referring to the pharisees, Jews if you like, people who had the LAW (613 instructions) as their religious constitution, he meant they were being hypocrites by paying tithes, and not abiding by some of the other laws. And at that point HE (Christ) had not redeemed mankind from the LAW yet.

Mankind was redeemed from all those laws when christ said those famous words at the point of death "IT IS FINISHED"
>Galatians 3:13, 4:5.

If you claim tithes are important, then so are the other laws.

James 2:8,10, 11, 12.

•8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

•10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

•11 For He who said, "DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," also said, "DO NOT COMMIT MURDER." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

•12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
To me, I think it's the level to which your faith can carry you.
It boils down to one's charitable ability.
If you can give the first fruit with all your heart, go ahead.
It shouldn't be done as mandatary or burden but as charitable gestyre.... My own view!
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by logoscope(m): 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2015
PastorKun:

Christians are not meant to pay first fruit today. The first fruit teaching in some churches today is derived from fraudulently twisting scriptures and mis applying it to christians. It's an act of pure fraud on the part of preachers who preach it and it should be condemned in it's entirety.
Pls which church do u attend?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by lastmessenger: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2015
Any church or pastor that collect first fruit from its members are serving the devil.
That's my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by nannymcphee(f): 3:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:
who's asking?
and why are you asking....? when that's what the bible said. check below pls

the bible said.....
Proverbs 3:9-10 - Honour the LORD with thy
substance, and with the first fruits of all thine
increase....

also...
Leviticus 23:10-14 - Speak unto the children
of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be
come into the land which I give unto you, and
shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall
bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest
unto the priest..

also...
Exodus 34:26 - The first of the first fruits of thy
land thou shalt bring unto the house of the
LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in
his mother's milk.

Q1.Pls can a Christian also abide by the admonitions below

Deuteronomy 22:5

5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

going by this, a christain lady cannot wear the brothers/husband's shirt

Deuteronomy 22:9
Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

Going by this, I must plant only one type of crop in my garden or farm, mono cropping, no mixed farming

Deuteronomy22:11
11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Going by this, your clothes should either be 100% cotton or silk or polyester & not a mixture

Q2.If these laws aren't binding on a Christian, why do you think those verses on firstfruit is binding on a Christian(since all the instructions
Came from Moses)

Q2.Can you give an scriptural backing for paying if firstfruit from the New Testament?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by nannymcphee(f): 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
bolliejay:

The first fruits offering was an offering required by God of the Israelites.
Exodus 23:19a: "The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the LORD your God."
Leviticus 23:10: "'Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you and reap its harvest, you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest."
Proverbs 3:9-10: "Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting

Q1.Pls can a Christian also abide by the admonitions below

Deuteronomy 22:5

5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

going by this, a christain lady cannot wear the brothers/husband's shirt

Deuteronomy 22:9
Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

Going by this, I must plant only one type of crop in my garden or farm, mono cropping, no mixed farming

Deuteronomy22:11
11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Going by this, your clothes should either be 100% cotton or silk or polyester & not a mixture

Q2.If these laws aren't binding on a Christian, why do you think those verses on firstfruit is binding on a Christian(since all the instructions
Came from Moses)

Q2.Can you give an scriptural backing for paying if firstfruit from the New Testament?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by busuyem: 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
nnwajiaku:
Tithing and the Law
The commandment to tithe was part of the Law that Jehovah God gave to the 12 tribes of ancient Israel more than 3,500 years ago. That Law decreed that a tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and a tenth of the increase of the herds be given to the tribe of Levi in support of their services at the tabernacle.—Leviticus 27:30, 32; Numbers 18:21, 24.
Jehovah assured the Israelites that the Law ‘would not be too difficult for them.’ (Deuteronomy 30:11) As long as they faithfully observed Jehovah’s commandments, including tithing, they had his promise of abundant harvests. And as a protection, an additional yearly tithe, normally consumed when the nation met for its religious festivities, was regularly set aside. Thus ‘the alien resident, the fatherless boy, and the widow’ could be satisfied.—Deuteronomy 14:28, 29; 28:1, 2, 11-14.
The Law did not specify a penalty for failing to tithe, but each Israelite was under a strong moral obligation to support true worship in this way. In fact, Jehovah accused Israelites who neglected tithing in Malachi’s day of ‘robbing him in tithes and offerings.’ (Malachi 3:8, New International Version) Could the same charge be leveled at Christians who do not tithe?
Well, consider. National laws are not normally valid outside a country’s borders. For example, the law that obliges motorists in Britain to drive on the left does not apply to drivers in France. Similarly, the law requiring tithing was part of an exclusive covenant between God and the nation of Israel. (Exodus 19:3-8; Psalm 147:19, 20) Only the Israelites were bound by that law.
In addition, although it is true that God never changes, his requirements sometimes do. (Malachi 3:6) The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., “blotted out,” or “abolished,” the Law and with it the “commandment to collect tithes.”—Colossians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:13-15; Hebrews 7:5, 18.

Christian Giving
However, contributions to support true worship were still needed. Jesus had commissioned his disciples ‘to be witnesses to the most distant part of the earth.’ (Acts 1:cool As the number of believers grew, so did the need for Christian teachers and overseers to visit and strengthen the congregations. Widows, orphans, and other needy ones had to be cared for at times. How did the first-century Christians cover the costs involved?
About 55 C.E., an appeal went out to Gentile Christians in Europe and Asia Minor in behalf of the impoverished congregation in Judea. In his letters to the congregation in Corinth, the apostle Paul describes how this ‘collection for the holy ones’ was organized. (1 Corinthians 16:1) You may be surprised at what Paul’s words reveal about Christian giving.
The apostle Paul did not cajole fellow believers to give. In fact, Macedonian Christians who were “under affliction” and in “deep poverty” had to ‘keep begging him with much entreaty for the privilege of kindly giving and for a share in the ministry destined for the holy ones.’—2 Corinthians 8:1-4.
True, Paul encouraged the more affluent Corinthians to imitate their generous brothers in Macedonia. Even so, observes one reference work, he ‘declined to issue directives, preferring rather to request, suggest, encourage, or appeal. Spontaneity and warmth would be absent from the Corinthians’ giving if coercion were present.’ Paul knew that “God loves a cheerful giver,” not one who gives “grudgingly or under compulsion.”—2 Corinthians 9:7.
Abundant faith and knowledge together with genuine love for fellow Christians would have impelled the Corinthians to give spontaneously.—2 Corinthians 8:7, 8.
‘As He Has Resolved in His Own Heart’
Rather than specifying an amount or a percentage, Paul merely suggested that “on the first day of every week, each one . . . should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” (Italics ours; 1 Corinthians 16:2, NIV) By planning and reserving an amount on a regular basis, the Corinthians would not feel pressured into giving begrudgingly or on emotional impulse when Paul arrived. For each Christian, the decision of how much to give was to be a private matter, one that ‘he had resolved in his own heart.’—2 Corinthians 9:5, 7.
In order to reap generously, the Corinthians had to sow generously. No suggestion of giving until it hurts was ever made. ‘I do not mean for it to be hard on you,’ Paul assured them. Contributions were ‘especially acceptable according to what a person had, not according to what a person did not have.’ (2 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 9:6) In a later letter, the apostle warned: “If anyone does not provide for those . . . who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” (1 Timothy 5:cool Paul did not encourage giving that violated this principle.
It is significant that Paul supervised a ‘collection for the holy ones’ who were in need. We do not read in the Scriptures about Paul or the other apostles organizing collections or receiving tithes to finance their own ministries. (Acts 3:6) Always grateful to receive the gifts that the congregations sent him, Paul conscientiously avoided imposing “an expensive burden” on his brothers.—1 Thessalonians 2:9; Philippians 4:15-18.

Christians are not under the Law covenant given to Israel. Thus, they are not obliged to give a set amount to God. However, in the true Christian congregation, giving is a source of much joy. Jesus Christ himself stated: “There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving. - Acts 13:35.

This is the gospel!

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by MadCow1: 3:59pm On Jan 04, 2015
flipboss:

Because as at when Jesus walked the earth, there was no christian faith and the Levites and priests still existed.

However.... When he died, that was when the first church started ands no Levite or priest was required.. So who are you paying your tithe to? Pastors are not Levites.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by clevvermind(m): 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
QuiverBox:

To be Honest you have a very big problem with simple comprehension.

How did i attack you how did i insult you? Pls show me.

its obvious even if someone gives you and answer to you questions you will not be able to understand or use it Because, you are have a tough time to understand simple statements.

thank u. when u give me an answer, i would know. u have not given me a verse from the new testament so far in support of first fruits. until u do that, i would not answer u again. that is what i'm asking, so provide me with a verse now.
thank u. when u give me an answer, i would know. u have not given me a verse from the new testament so far in support of first fruits. until u do that, i would not answer u again. that is what i'm asking, so provide me with a verse now.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Ajalekoko76(m): 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
Fake Pastors...
Fake members...
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Lordseyad(m): 4:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
No be person wey go church go give 1st fruit?

We kuku no go --- see una, se u go too ni?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Dammyjohn(m): 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
ShakurM:
Apple or orange? I'm confused sad
Here is the meaning.Let's say there is something you do collect consecutively such as money,crops or any gift,you must give the first one out to someone GOD direct you to in a way that shows you respect GOD.Please,make sure you read(Proverbs 3:9-11)to crown it all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olokun Great Goddess Of The Sea ~ Worship, Divinations, Initiations, Invocations / Canada Wonderland Park- Nairalander Experience: Pictures & Video / Christian Association Protests Against Killings Of Christians By Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.