Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,691 members, 7,813,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? (27416 Views)

What Do You Think Of First Fruit Offering? / If You Read This And Still Later Pay Tithe And First-fruit, Then Prove Me Wrong. / Should Christians Pay First Fruit Offering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by gabicon: 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
Have you ever heard of melchizedek?
I will suggest you read hebrews 7

Abraham never paid tithe... [/quote]
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by gabicon: 4:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
MadCow1:

Abraham never paid tithe...

Have you ever heard of melchizedek?
I will suggest you read hebrews 7
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Trafficjam11: 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
nannymcphee:

Deuteronomy22:11
11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Going by this, your clothes should either be 100% cotton or silk or polyester & not a mixture

Q2.If these laws aren't binding on a Christian, why do you think those verses on firstfruit is binding on a Christian(since all the instructions
Came from Moses)

Q2.Can you give an scriptural backing for paying if firstfruit from the New Testament?

Thank you.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by clevvermind(m): 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2015
nnwajiaku:
Tithing and the Law
The commandment to tithe was part of the Law that Jehovah God gave to the 12 tribes of ancient Israel more than 3,500 years ago. That Law decreed that a tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and a tenth of the increase of the herds be given to the tribe of Levi in support of their services at the tabernacle.—Leviticus 27:30, 32; Numbers 18:21, 24.
Jehovah assured the Israelites that the Law ‘would not be too difficult for them.’ (Deuteronomy 30:11) As long as they faithfully observed Jehovah’s commandments, including tithing, they had his promise of abundant harvests. And as a protection, an additional yearly tithe, normally consumed when the nation met for its religious festivities, was regularly set aside. Thus ‘the alien resident, the fatherless boy, and the widow’ could be satisfied.—Deuteronomy 14:28, 29; 28:1, 2, 11-14.
The Law did not specify a penalty for failing to tithe, but each Israelite was under a strong moral obligation to support true worship in this way. In fact, Jehovah accused Israelites who neglected tithing in Malachi’s day of ‘robbing him in tithes and offerings.’ (Malachi 3:8, New International Version) Could the same charge be leveled at Christians who do not tithe?
Well, consider. National laws are not normally valid outside a country’s borders. For example, the law that obliges motorists in Britain to drive on the left does not apply to drivers in France. Similarly, the law requiring tithing was part of an exclusive covenant between God and the nation of Israel. (Exodus 19:3-8; Psalm 147:19, 20) Only the Israelites were bound by that law.
In addition, although it is true that God never changes, his requirements sometimes do. (Malachi 3:6) The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., “blotted out,” or “abolished,” the Law and with it the “commandment to collect tithes.”—Colossians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:13-15; Hebrews 7:5, 18.

Christian Giving
However, contributions to support true worship were still needed. Jesus had commissioned his disciples ‘to be witnesses to the most distant part of the earth.’ (Acts 1:cool As the number of believers grew, so did the need for Christian teachers and overseers to visit and strengthen the congregations. Widows, orphans, and other needy ones had to be cared for at times. How did the first-century Christians cover the costs involved?
About 55 C.E., an appeal went out to Gentile Christians in Europe and Asia Minor in behalf of the impoverished congregation in Judea. In his letters to the congregation in Corinth, the apostle Paul describes how this ‘collection for the holy ones’ was organized. (1 Corinthians 16:1) You may be surprised at what Paul’s words reveal about Christian giving.
The apostle Paul did not cajole fellow believers to give. In fact, Macedonian Christians who were “under affliction” and in “deep poverty” had to ‘keep begging him with much entreaty for the privilege of kindly giving and for a share in the ministry destined for the holy ones.’—2 Corinthians 8:1-4.
True, Paul encouraged the more affluent Corinthians to imitate their generous brothers in Macedonia. Even so, observes one reference work, he ‘declined to issue directives, preferring rather to request, suggest, encourage, or appeal. Spontaneity and warmth would be absent from the Corinthians’ giving if coercion were present.’ Paul knew that “God loves a cheerful giver,” not one who gives “grudgingly or under compulsion.”—2 Corinthians 9:7.
Abundant faith and knowledge together with genuine love for fellow Christians would have impelled the Corinthians to give spontaneously.—2 Corinthians 8:7, 8.
‘As He Has Resolved in His Own Heart’
Rather than specifying an amount or a percentage, Paul merely suggested that “on the first day of every week, each one . . . should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” (Italics ours; 1 Corinthians 16:2, NIV) By planning and reserving an amount on a regular basis, the Corinthians would not feel pressured into giving begrudgingly or on emotional impulse when Paul arrived. For each Christian, the decision of how much to give was to be a private matter, one that ‘he had resolved in his own heart.’—2 Corinthians 9:5, 7.
In order to reap generously, the Corinthians had to sow generously. No suggestion of giving until it hurts was ever made. ‘I do not mean for it to be hard on you,’ Paul assured them. Contributions were ‘especially acceptable according to what a person had, not according to what a person did not have.’ (2 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 9:6) In a later letter, the apostle warned: “If anyone does not provide for those . . . who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” (1 Timothy 5:cool Paul did not encourage giving that violated this principle.
It is significant that Paul supervised a ‘collection for the holy ones’ who were in need. We do not read in the Scriptures about Paul or the other apostles organizing collections or receiving tithes to finance their own ministries. (Acts 3:6) Always grateful to receive the gifts that the congregations sent him, Paul conscientiously avoided imposing “an expensive burden” on his brothers.—1 Thessalonians 2:9; Philippians 4:15-18.

Christians are not under the Law covenant given to Israel. Thus, they are not obliged to give a set amount to God. However, in the true Christian congregation, giving is a source of much joy. Jesus Christ himself stated: “There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving. - Acts 13:35.

thank u. this is what qiverbox should hv done. not beating about the bush.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by JUBILEE2000: 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
Godside:

My brother please let leave argumnt . If God prospers you to give more than first fruit or 10% give it nd if you dnt av d power to give it , pray to God to gv u more so dt u cn gv beta . Most pipu do take grace for granted concernin giving . If the new testatment do not gv 10% or first friut , dt does nt mean you shuld rob God by gvin little . You are expected to gv more than that .

who do you give to? Churches that have business empires like schools etc.? Mind you, the Levites who received them never worked nor had any means of livelihood.God was their inheritance. Can that be said of our modern day preachers? Figure it out

If those under the law shuld gv 10% or first-fruit , what shuld we dt r under a beta grace shuld gv . Remember if you gv little u wil receiue little nd if you gv bounitfuly u wil reap bountifuly
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by nora544: 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
First fruit is not for christians

why we here in europa don't have it, we have n o tithing we have a small churchta what is between 1 and 2,5 % of your salary from one year.

No lutheran or chatolic or ortodox churches have this also in russia they didnot have this.

Ask you why nigerian pastors are so rich why they have private jets, please show me a pastor from europa who has one, please son't look at america americans sell all and what to make profit with all.

The pentecost/charismatic pastors they come from america and they learn it from them to enrich themself, I know from on man made God that he told his followers that who pay no first fruit is cursed his name starts with A....

So please read the bible, first fruits is not for real christians it is only for the money loving businessman who collect this in the name of God only to build their empire here on earth.

Pastors who preach the heresy prosperity gospel are no real christians.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 4:25pm On Jan 04, 2015
bolliejay:

The first fruits offering was an offering required by God of the Israelites.
Exodus 23:19a: "The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the LORD your God."
Leviticus 23:10: "'Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you and reap its harvest, you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest."
Proverbs 3:9-10: "Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine."

Was this addressed to the children of Israel who were under Jewish laws or to christians who are under grace? Also was the first fruit in question money or agricultural produce? If it wasn't money in the bible, do you realise it's a sin to add to, subtract from or twist the. Word of God by by changing agric products to money for what ever reason?

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2015
doug:

You are so wrong. Christian are meant to pay first fruits. Its biblical. Its not easy to pay but its the right thing to do. Please pay it.

Quote one single scripture directing new testament christians to pay first fruits or even the more popular scam called tithes.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by JUBILEE2000: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2015
bolliejay:

Because no banker, accountant, lawyer then! They were all farmers

There were people of other professions then such as carpenters, bricklayers n tent makers. If money was required, the bible would have mentioned it. The bible was special on what was required...produce

5 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by samuelezekiel(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2015
Is thou shall not kill not from the law of moses? silly question, u better pay ur first fruit, but to be since its not easy...but if u do y will see the reward
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by chokovirus: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
Tithes is a biblical command. If you like allow ur stinginess to deprive you of the blessings. Firstfruit is a free-will offering. You have to be led by the spirit.For instance, I don't pay firstfruit but I have many friends that do. And I must tell you that they have received instant unusual blessings for that act. Anyday the Spirit impresses that on my heart, I will definitely pay first-fruits.
The children of Israel did not understand God's rationale for the Sabbath day until they spent 70 years in captivity. Always act with understanding and ask God for discernment like the Sons of Issachar rather than acting based on the opinions of men.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Goshen360(m): 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2015
The law and every ordinances (the tabernacle, tithe & first fruit inclusive) commanded are not the mind of God but a shadow of Christ & His finished works for the new covenant of which Christ is a Mediator.

New International Version
The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
Hebrews 10:1

So, first fruit? Christ already fulfilled the first fruit as a foreshadow. He had given the perfect first fruit offering unto God for believers. This is 2015, those who want to allow themselves to be defrauded can continue and those who want continue in the liberty wherein Christ has made us free, we continue.

King James Bible
But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1 Corinthians 15:23

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 4:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
samuelezekiel:
Is thou shall not kill not from the law of moses? silly question, u better pay ur first fruit, but to be since its not easy...but if u do y will see the reward

The only reward you would get is starvation in the month of february, God does not require first fruit or tithes from believers so they attract NO rewards.

4 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by ShakurM(m): 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
Dammyjohn:

Here is the meaning.Let's say there is something you do collect consecutively such as money,crops or any gift,you must give the first one out to someone GOD direct you to in a way that shows you respect GOD.Please,make sure you read(Proverbs 3:9-11)to crown it all.
bless! Is it like tithe?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by QuiverBox(f): 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:

thank u. when u give me an answer, i would know. u have not given me a verse from the new testament so far in support of first fruits. until u do that, i would not answer u again. that is what i'm asking, so provide me with a verse now.

Keep waiting for a Verse.

Ensure you give all your 12 month fruits to your pastor. Clevvermind
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Horlufemi(m): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:
who's asking?
and why are you asking....? when that's what the bible said. check below pls

the bible said.....
Proverbs 3:9-10 - Honour the LORD with thy
substance, and with the first fruits of all thine
increase....

also...
Leviticus 23:10-14 - Speak unto the children
of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be
come into the land which I give unto you, and
shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall
bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest
unto the priest..

also...
Exodus 34:26 - The first of the first fruits of thy
land thou shalt bring unto the house of the
LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in
his mother's milk.

1. talking about harvest
2. still talking about harvest. the first harvest in the land of Canaan
3. still taking about harvest

I should become a pastor. People can be gullible.

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by nannymcphee(f): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
samuelezekiel:

Must u insult? For ur info, the reason a Christian should not kill or cheat or lie isn't because they are written in the ten commandment(in the first place they were not given to Christians, neither is it meant for a Christian to keep excerpt u're a Jew)

A Christian shouldn't kill or cheat or steal because its against God will & purpose, its against what the spirit of God stands for

The Christian ought to live according to that which is consistent with the spirit of God

God said a new law will I write in their hearts(not ten commandment) & I'll put my spirit within them to cause them to do it

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:
who's asking?
and why are you asking....? when that's what the bible said. check below pls

the bible said.....
Proverbs 3:9-10 - Honour the LORD with thy
substance, and with the first fruits of all thine
increase....

also...
Leviticus 23:10-14 - Speak unto the children
of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be
come into the land which I give unto you, and
shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall
bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest
unto the priest..

also...
Exodus 34:26 - The first of the first fruits of thy
land thou shalt bring unto the house of the
LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in
his mother's milk.
Lets assume we drop our "FIRST FRUIT" is there Second fruit and third fruit and so on, i mean like every year as the MOG says? Already am so broke and i dunno how am going to cope for the rest of the Month, now if i now finally suffer my way out of this month, so you want me to now go and drop ALL the salary for one Pastor? How am i going to cope throughout the month of February again

You guys just enjoy people living in penury
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by nannymcphee(f): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Goshen360:
The law and every ordinances (the tabernacle, tithe & first fruit inclusive) commanded are not the mind of God but a shadow of Christ & His finished works for the new covenant of which Christ is a Mediator.

New International Version
The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
Hebrews 10:1

So, first fruit? Christ already fulfilled the first fruit as a foreshadow. He had given the perfect first fruit offering unto God for believers. This is 2015, those who want to allow themselves to be defrauded can continue and those who want continue in the liberty wherein Christ has made us free, we continue.

King James Bible
But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1 Corinthians 15:23

Let me add this

Galatians 3
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our SCHOOLMASTER to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But AFTER that faith is come, we are NO longer UNDER a schoolmaster(which is the law)

It's written in black & white, we are no longer under the LAW

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

1. talking about harvest
2. still talking about harvest. the first harvest in the land of Canaan
3. still taking about harvest

I should become a pastor. People can be gullible.
Exactly my thoughts and he never saw anything wrong in what he was saying! SMH
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Sweetmarriage: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
Is first fruits not an old testament practice under the law of moses? Are born again christians suppose to pay first fruits today? Did paul, peter, james etc collect first fruits offering or salary from their members? Why then are pastors collecting first fruits today? I need answers to this?

Yes, give so you will be blessed.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by God2man(m): 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2015
Normally, they won't mention the church ,

old recycled thread.

God2man.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Dammyjohn(m): 4:54pm On Jan 04, 2015
ShakurM:
bless! Is it like tithe?
It is totally different from tithe.Tithe is 10% of your monthly income which you receive month by month while firstfruit is the first of all in a year.In other words,tithe is 10% part of your monthly salary and firstfruit is first salary,gift,crop etc you get in one year and which you must do every year.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Goshen360(m): 5:00pm On Jan 04, 2015
nannymcphee:

Let me add this

Galatians 3
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our SCHOOLMASTER to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But AFTER that faith is come, we are NO longer UNDER a schoolmaster(which is the law)

It's written in black & white, we are no longer under the LAW

I have never seen a woman so sound in the word as you. Blessed art thou among this generation of women for YOU will birth Christ...in this context, you will reveal Christ & Him Crucified.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 5:00pm On Jan 04, 2015
Dammyjohn:

It is totally different from tithe.Tithe is 10% of your monthly income which you receive month by month while firstfruit is the first of all in a year.In other words,tithe is 10% part of your monthly salary and firstfruit is first salary,gift,crop etc you get in one year and which you must do every year.

And the definitions you gave above, are they the biblical definitions of tithes and first fruits or the false man made definitions peddled by pulpit pimps in churches today?

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Goshen360(m): 5:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
sexyseun:
Lets assume we drop our "FIRST FRUIT" is there Second fruit and third fruit and so on, i mean like every year as the MOG says? Already am so broke and i dunno how am going to cope for the rest of the Month, now if i now finally suffer my way out of this month, so you want me to now go and drop ALL the salary for one Pastor? How am i going to cope throughout the month of February again

You guys just enjoy people living in penury

You cope by FAITH.....not by your sense..... grin grin grin
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Goshen360(m): 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2015
God2man:
Normally, they won't mention the church ,

old recycled thread.

God2man.

You mean you don't know many churches preaching this first fruit scam? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by JUBILEE2000: 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
flipboss:

Matt 23:23; Luke 11:42... Jesus talked about not leaving 'a-tenth' (which is also called tithe) unpaid.

Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who were still under the law as at the time the statement was made

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by fretnot(m): 5:11pm On Jan 04, 2015

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by santicruz: 5:11pm On Jan 04, 2015
First fruit means nothing but your first child. Jus take ur first issue n sacrifice 2 ur pastor
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by fretnot(m): 5:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
Femi Aribisala: Read how Nigerian pastors will rob you in January

by Femi AribisalaThe armed robber takes your money from you with a gun in his hand: the pastor takes your money by brandishing a bible.Jesus berated the mercenary religious leaders of biblical days. He told them: “‘It is written, my house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’” (Matthew 21:13).This word remains pertinent to pastors in the churches of today. They come up with all kinds of schemes designed to squeeze money out of their church-members. They search the scriptures, looking for quotable quotes that can be used to make merchandise of men. Some of their favourites are those scriptures dealing with giving first-fruits to priests.Fleecing the flockThose months with names ending with “ember” in English are sometimes referred to as the “ember” months. These include September, October, November and December. Strictly-speaking, October does not fit this bill; otherwise it would have been called “Octoember.” Nevertheless, it is conventional also to include it as one of the “ember” months.In these months, there is a definite change of emphasis in the messages preached by pastors in many of today’s new generation churches. If you have been paying attention, you would have noticed this already. In the “ember” months, pastors start to talk repeatedly about the need to give “first-fruits;” laying down the foundation for a major robbery routinely planned for January.In the Old Testament, first-fruits were required to be given to priests. Ezekiel says: “The best of all the first-fruits and of all your special gifts will belong to the priests.” (Ezekiel 44:30). This scripture is seized on by today’s money-grubbing pastors who now insist that the “first-fruits” of all the members of their congregation must be handed over to them.This is disingenuous because, in the New Testament, there is actually no longer an exclusive priesthood. Instead, Jesus has made all believers: “kings and priests to our God.” (Revelation 5:10). But this fact is conveniently ignored by today’s first-fruits collectors.First-fruits were given to priests because they were not allowed to own landed-property in Israel. God said: “I am to be the only inheritance the priests have. You are to give them no possession in Israel; I will be their possession.” (Ezekiel 44:28-29).However, the pastors of today are men of means and property owners. In no way whatsoever do they fit the bill of a people without inheritance who only have God as their possession. Indeed, some of today’s mega-pastors are multi-millionaires who drive around with bodyguards in a cortege of Jeeps and even fly around in private jets.Fruits of moneyAs the word indicates, first-fruits were strictly-speaking agricultural produce. Moses says: “The first of the first-fruits of your land you shall bring into the house of the LORD your God.” (Exodus 23:19). This shows first-fruits were crops. Indeed, money was never regarded as first-fruit in the bible; neither was it ever paid as such.However, today’s pastors would not find it funny if you were to bring your first-fruits to them in bananas or pineapples. First-fruits are now only acceptable in cash or cheque. If you ask why, don’t be surprised if you are told that: “Money is the answer to everything.” (Ecclesiastes 10:19).Scripturally, first-fruits were only required from Jews living in Israel because God gave them their land. First-fruits were inapplicable to Israelites living in foreign lands. This also means first-fruits are inapplicable to today’s Christians who are mostly non-Israelis and do not live in Israel. Nevertheless, pastors hoodwink Christians by claiming there are special blessings attendant upon giving first-fruits to pastors anywhere.In biblical days, first-fruits were not required from those in non-agrarian trades, such as carpenters or fishermen because these professions were not tied to the land. However, today’s opportunist pastors collect first-fruits from anybody and everybody.It should be clear from the foregoing therefore that pastors who insist on collecting first-fruits in the churches of today are nothing but thieves and robbers. The armed robber takes your money from you with a gun in his hand: the pastor takes your money by brandishing a bible.BonanzaIt used to be the case that first-fruits were defined as a Christian’s first salary after leaving school and securing gainful employment. But some pastors quickly realised that this only gives them the right to a Christian’s salary once in a lifetime. Therefore, this soon became inadequate, leading to more ingenious and more financially lucrative biblical “revelations” about first-fruits.Many pastors now insist that since the January salary is the first in the year, it legally falls under the definition of first-fruits. Therefore, they now require that all church-goers hand over to them their entire January salaries in the name of first-fruits. This makes the first-fruits boon far more profitable than the tithe; which is just a tenth of the Christian’s salary. Moreover, the tithe is nominally given to “the church.” The “first-fruits” is a far more rewarding scam because the money is specifically addressed to the pastor.If this “godliness” is taught effectively, a pastor can make a bundle of money at the beginning of every year. Just do the maths. Imagine a situation where the pastor gets the January salary of every single member of his congregation. Depending on the size of his church, he can get in one bonanza enough money to last him a lifetime. Is it any wonder, therefore, that pastors are very zealous in preaching about first-fruits in the “ember” months?Many even refuse to be limited to their churches. Turn onto Christian television such as the Trinity Broadcasting Network in the “ember” months, and you are likely to find Paula White or Steve Munsey extolling the blessings of giving first-fruits. Of course, the first-fruits must be sent to them and to no one else.ComeuppanceIn one of Nigeria’s big churches with a large branch-network, the pastors were making a killing collecting first-fruits. But one of them used the money to put up a church building. This went a long way to endear him to his congregants. Other pastors who had nothing to show for the first-fruits they collected became concerned that the pastor would soon bring them into disrepute. So they decided to take “appropriate” action.They reported him to the General Overseer of the church. His transgression was that he put up an entire church building single-handedly. So doing, they claimed, he prevented others from getting blessed by not taking contributions from them. The General Overseer wondered where he got the money to erect the entire building by himself. So they told him the money came from the first-fruits he collected from his church-members.The General Overseer became even more curious. Just how much first-fruit were these pastors collecting? He was astonished to discover the sums involved. It was unacceptable that such lucrative business was taking place in his churches without due recognition for his position. Therefore, he fired a memo to all his parishes: henceforth, all first-fruits must be forwarded intact to headquarters.However, his memo backfired. Thereafter, his subordinate pastors noticeably lost all interest in collecting first-fruits. “Let everybody shout hallelujah.”“They are greedy dogs which never have enough. And they are pastors who cannot understand; they all look to their own way, every one for his own gain, from his own territory.” (Isaiah 56:11).

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by teajay007: 5:17pm On Jan 04, 2015
Giving as specified in new testament has to be done cheerfully and not compulsorily.Do not be deceived by any man of God.Study the word of God yourself and understand what God is demanding from you at any particular point in time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tunde Badru: RCCG Pastors Welcome First Child After 24 Years Of Marriage / Sam Adeyemi's Daystar Church Begins Saturday Worship / Muslims Did Not Protect Christians On Christmas Day - CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.