Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? (27427 Views)

What Do You Think Of First Fruit Offering? / If You Read This And Still Later Pay Tithe And First-fruit, Then Prove Me Wrong. / Should Christians Pay First Fruit Offering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Trafficjam11: 5:19pm On Jan 04, 2015
PastorKun:

The only reward you would get is starvation in the month of february

grin
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by loswhite(m): 5:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:
who's asking?
and why are you asking....? when that's what the bible said. check below pls

the bible said.....
Proverbs 3:9-10 - Honour the LORD with thy
substance, and with the first fruits of all thine
increase....

also...
Leviticus 23:10-14 - Speak unto the children
of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be
come into the land which I give unto you, and
shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall
bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest
unto the priest..

also...
Exodus 34:26 - The first of the first fruits of thy
land thou shalt bring unto the house of the
LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in
his mother's milk.
they are all Old Testament
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by felibrain: 5:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
clevvermind:
Is first fruits not an old testament practice under the law of moses? Are born again christians suppose to pay first fruits today? Did paul, peter, james etc collect first fruits offering or salary from their members? Why then are pastors collecting first fruits today? I need answers to this?
The Bible is the bible. The Bible says Proverbs 3:9 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
However the bible didn't say the First fruit should be paid YEARLY. It says FIRST FRUIT OF ALL YOUR INCREASE. By implication it means if you get a job and start earning let's say N20000 you can choose to honor God by giving your first salary (20k) as an offering. Once you have done so, the time you are expected to pay a first fruit is when your salary increases from let's say 20k to 30k. When this increase comes you are expected to honour God with the first 10k that was added to your salary (not that you should now give all the 30k).
I pray that the Holy Spirit will give you understanding.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by JUBILEE2000: 5:28pm On Jan 04, 2015
Goshen360:
The law and every ordinances (the tabernacle, tithe & first fruit inclusive) commanded are not the mind of God but a shadow of Christ & His finished works for the new covenant of which Christ is a Mediator.

New International Version
The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
Hebrews 10:1

So, first fruit? Christ already fulfilled the first fruit as a foreshadow. He had given the perfect first fruit offering unto God for believers. This is 2015, those who want to allow themselves to be defrauded can continue and those who want continue in the liberty wherein Christ has made us free, we continue.

King James Bible
But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1 Corinthians 15:23

may God bless n increase u sir

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 5:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
#FraudAlert

If your pastor is teaching you that God requires a first fruit of your salary yearly or 10% of your regular income, he is clearly twisting the word of God to extort money from you and there is no other term for this than FRAUD!!!

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by christemmbassey(m): 5:34pm On Jan 04, 2015
I was here........a blessed new year to all. 1st fruit +tithe + sowing of seeds = scam.

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by ogwumgbe: 5:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
Where in new testament is paying of tithe mentioned. These penticostal preachers are hypocrites. They always say that old testament is no longer relevant but always quote it to collect tithes and offeringa

3 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by JUBILEE2000: 5:39pm On Jan 04, 2015
chokovirus:
Tithes is a biblical command. If you like allow ur stinginess to deprive you of the blessings. Firstfruit is a free-will offering. You have to be led by the spirit.For instance, I don't pay firstfruit but I have many friends that do. And I must tell you that they have received instant unusual blessings for that act. Anyday the Spirit impresses that on my heart, I will definitely pay first-fruits.
The children of Israel did not understand God's rationale for the Sabbath day until they spent 70 years in captivity. Always act with understanding and ask God for discernment like the Sons of Issachar rather than acting based on the opinions of men.

ur friends were blessed not because they paid first fruits but because they were already blessed in Christ Jesus. God is not a money doubler. How many first fruits have Bill gates n co given to earn them the wealth they have? It might interest you to know that many pay tithe n first fruits n yet lack the basic necessities of life.may God open our eyes of understanding
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Dammyjohn(m): 5:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
PastorKun:

And the definitions you gave above, are they the biblical definitions of tithes and first fruits or the false man made definitions peddled by pulpit pimps in churches today?
Check the book of Proverbs 3:9-11.After reading,let me know your definition of tithe and firstfruit.Ok?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by christemmbassey(m): 5:43pm On Jan 04, 2015
felibrain:

The Bible is the bible. The Bible says Proverbs 3:9 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
However the bible didn't say the First fruit should be paid YEARLY. It says FIRST FRUIT OF ALL YOUR INCREASE. By implication it means if you get a job and start earning let's say N20000 you can choose to honor God by giving your first salary (20k) as an offering. Once you have done so, the time you are expected to pay a first fruit is when your salary increases from let's say 20k to 30k. When this increase comes you are expected to honour God with the first 10k that was added to your salary (not that you should now give all the 30k).
I pray that the Holy Spirit will give you understanding.
ah ah ah ah ah, God and money, wsne.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
Akshow:
first fruit kor, lost fruit ni.

I was in church today and d pastor preached and preached about tithe and how we should vow to times two our offerings this year.

I just siddon dey look am cos no amount of him mombo jombo go make me give more than d two huns I intended giving.

Oh! U even get two huns to give? If na me, i no give again
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 04, 2015
flipboss:

Matt 23:23; Luke 11:42... Jesus talked about not leaving 'a-tenth' (which is also called tithe) unpaid.
Sheggy13:

Jesus Christ admonished the paying of tithes when he was criticising the scribes and pharisees. Check Matthew 23:23
Jesus was making reference to keeping the law, are we under the law? my PC charger is faulty, I find it hard typing for long with phone, I would have thoroughly expounded the greatest deception in modern Christianity, if you check well, you will see Christ also called them extortionists in the next verse, BTW, in all the three years Jesus spent in his earthly ministry, the only way to tell you to pay tithes is by admonishing the Pharisees? still apostle Paul in all his epistles "Forgot" to mention the importance of tithe he said give and provide yet, he didn't say anything about tithe. sorry I may sound incoherent, am not organized right now.
Later.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Callfubu(m): 6:22pm On Jan 04, 2015
The reason I like Christianity is this happening right here, everyone has questions and can create opinions. What I want to say is this, the Bible is a book ordained by God and everything in it is valid, yes there's the new testament to correct some things of the the old like "an eye for an eye".. But you cannot disprove the old testament just because you feel it benefits some pastor more than you, the teachings of first fruits, tithes, offerings, sowing seeds, giving to the MOG are all in the bible at different instances. Some of them are commands by God, some are occasional, some are circumstantial while some come in form of covenants.

Do most MOG use this scriptures as an avenue to exploit the members? The answer is yes.. Most preach prosperity rather than salvation, some others mix it evenly while others focus majorly on salvation. But whatever we say and think, all these things are scriptural and are required of us as Christians. We just have to find a common ground that we are satisfied with. Just because your pastor says try God today and drop all the money in your pocket, doesn't mean you should actually do it, if your faith can't carry you, then please by all means don't. Faith is of different levels, some people pay up to 90% of their income for tithe, they have built themselves to that stage, they didn't just start it on the first day. I think the word is sacrifice, what are we willing to sacrifice for the sake of Christ. Remember it was a little kid that gave all he had " 5loaves & 2fishes" and he got 12 baskets full

For me I see it as giving to God, if the pastor decides to use it for selfish gain then he is the one that will suffer the consequence at the end of the day. I look at it like I've done my part. What I advise is that we go to our scriptures and read extensively, then pray to God and not keep asking these questions everyday. If you no wan pay, dem no go put gun for your head force you to pay
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by ShakurM(m): 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
Dammyjohn:

It is totally different from tithe.Tithe is 10% of your monthly income which you receive month by month while firstfruit is the first of all in a year.In other words,tithe is 10% part of your monthly salary and firstfruit is first salary,gift,crop etc you get in one year and which you must do every year.
O ga ooo, so if my salary at the end of January is 400k, I go drop 400k! shocked ano fit ooo..pastor gots understand
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 6:50pm On Jan 04, 2015
Dammyjohn:

Check the book of Proverbs 3:9-11.After reading,let me know your definition of tithe and firstfruit.Ok?

I have studied every single verse in the bible pertaining to first fruits and tithes and not once was money ever used for either of them even though money was widely used in ancient israel.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by olubenjazzy(m): 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
Its nt compulsory bt its necessary
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by darepoju(m): 7:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
sexyseun:
Lets assume we drop our "FIRST FRUIT" is there Second fruit and third fruit and so on, i mean like every year as the MOG says? Already am so broke and i dunno how am going to cope for the rest of the Month, now if i now finally suffer my way out of this month, so you want me to now go and drop ALL the salary for one Pastor? How am i going to cope throughout the month of February again

You guys just enjoy people living in penury

this first fruit thing is very confusing if u don't understand it...
I would just say first fruit works according to ur faith...men of God are different and can give different teaching...
NB.. AM NOT CONDEMNING ANY MAN OF GOD O..(who am I to do that)..

my pastor told us in church just today that (I quote) " u should pay ur first fruit according to ur faith"

my interpretation....
if u are able to give all...its fine.. it means u have faith dat God is going to sustain u for then rest of the month. WITHOUT BEGGING..

IF NOT ALL... its still OK.... provided what u did is ur best...

BUT U MUST NOT COMPLAIN OF MURMUR...

*IN MY OWN BIBLE THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS SECOND OR THIRD FRUIT...
GOD BLESS U ALL
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by Giitheon(m): 7:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
PROVERBS 3:9 Honour the LORD with your substance and with the firstfruit of thy increase........and mid u,offerings and tithe in genuine churches are nt all for the pastors........if Gods ministry must move here on earth,den ur money is expedient .............even apostle paul said "i have blessed you with spiritual things,is it too much to ask dat you bless me with material things?PAYING OF FIRST FRUIT IS VERY VERY SCRIPTURAL..
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by DWJOBScom(m): 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
MadCow1:

Abraham never paid tithe...

Gen 14:20c
............And he gave him a tithe of all
Abraham did pay tithe
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 7:42pm On Jan 04, 2015
For those who like to learn more about this first fruit doctrine, kindly visit : http://www.firstfruits101.com/
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by darepoju(m): 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
SunnyJ2:
Sir from scripture quoted, the Isrealite are to give first fruit b/c of d land given to them, they are to honour God with the substance uptain from the land. have u ask ur self why Daniel do not collect first fruit in BABYLON from the Children of Isreal?

sir... I like ur composure....

just as Israelites paying first fruit because of the land given them; don't u think we should pay that same first fruit to Gods representatives at least for the life he gave us?
Daniel is not a prophet so he can't ask ppl for first fruit.
GOD BLESS U
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by MadCow1: 7:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
DWJOBScom:

Gen 14:20c
............And he gave him a tithe of all
Abraham did pay tithe

You can't pay tithe on spoils of war that were not produce nor harvest of the works of your hands.. And you gave tithes to the Levites not kings.. wink

Deuteronomy 14:22 - Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Just because he gave a tenth to a king who was a partner in the war does not represent tithe.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 8:45pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:

sir... I like ur composure....

just as Israelites paying first fruit because of the land given them; don't u think we should pay that same first fruit to Gods representatives at least for the life he gave us?
Daniel is not a prophet so he can't ask ppl for first fruit.
GOD BLESS U

And who are these self appointed god's representatives

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by yoged(m): 9:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
Smurfette:
Yes, Proverbs 3:9, honour the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your Crops.
old testament bro. Some of the old testament are not relevant again expecially when Jesus came to the earth. Are you saying we should be observing sabbath and all those passover be done by the isrealite back then? 2 corinthians 9:7 says let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by adeyemik: 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
In the New Testament, the firstfruits offering is mentioned seven times, always symbolically. Paul calls Epaenetus and the household of Stephanas “the firstfruits of Achaia” (Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:15). His meaning is that, just as the firstfruits offering was the first portion of a larger harvest, these individuals were the first of many converts in that region. James calls believers “a kind of firstfruits of His creatures” (James 1:18). Just like the sheaf of grain was set apart for the Lord, so are believers set apart for God’s glory.

The firstfruits offering found its fulfillment in Jesus. “But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep” (1 Corinthians 15:20). Jesus’ resurrection has paved the way for our resurrection. Significantly, if Jesus was killed at Passover, then His resurrection on the third day would have fallen on Nissan 16—the Feast of Firstfruits.

The firstfruits offering is never directly applied to Christian giving in the New Testament. However, Paul taught the Corinthian believers to set aside a collection “on the first day of the week” (1 Corinthians 16:2). And, just as the offering of firstfruits was an occasion of thanksgiving, so the Christian is to give with gladness.

In summary, firstfruits symbolizes God’s harvest of souls, it illustrates giving to God from a grateful heart, and it sets a pattern of giving back to Him the first (and the best) of what He has given us. Not being under the Old Testament Law, the Christian is under no further obligation than to give cheerfully and liberally (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by darepoju(m): 9:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
PastorKun:

And who are these self appointed god's representatives

self appointed- is that what u call men of God?...

you don't have to take my explanations up there.... am not imposing any tin on u..OK?
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by PastorKun(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2015
darepoju:

self appointed- is that what u call men of God?...

you don't have to take my explanations up there.... am not imposing any tin on u..OK?

I am a man of God myself and I don't deceive believers into parting with their money through such scams as first fruits and tithes.
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by jorhnsin(m): 9:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
First fruit can be found in exodus 23:19... But pals it depends on ur mindset towards giving it out...
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by darepoju(m): 9:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
PastorKun:

I am a man of God myself and I don't deceive believers into parting with their money through such scams as first fruits and tithes.

so ur congregation don't pay even tithes?...

if so sir... then. u are seriously depriving them Gods blessing in abundance....
it dat ur doctrine sir... because I seem not understand why u see it as scamming...

all this things are in the bible tithe most especially is sacrosanct..
NB.. am not a pastor and my father or any body too is not...
all rh
Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by 1NENIGERIABLOG: 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2015
DO YOU KNOW THE ACRONYM FOR UNITY? FOR MORE ENLIGHTENMENT VISIT THE LINK BELOW
http://1nenigeriagr8nation..com/2015/01/do-you-know-acronym-for-unity.html

Re: Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? by blesdman(m): 10:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
It is unfortunate that the Nigerian church willingly applies the old testament teachings on money to new testament redeemed christ ones, born not of law but of faith in Christ alone.....The law of giving for gentile christians which we are is that we should give cheerfully....if possible all we have but let it be cheerful...See acts 2:46-48. THere was no specific mention of particular offering types...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sam Adeyemi's Daystar Church Begins Saturday Worship / MURIC Rejects Bishop Kukah’s Almajiris Plan Of Training 10 Million Almajiris / Olokun Great Goddess Of The Sea ~ Worship, Divinations, Initiations, Invocations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.