Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214114 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by martins2009(m): 8:42am On May 12, 2016
[quote author=bosunjohns post=30004738][/quote]
how can i start my tomatoe farm..where can i purchase seeds
thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:37pm On May 12, 2016
Free On Farm Vegetable Practical Training For Farm Managers.

Due to constant request for experience farm managers from our clients, we have decided to train unemployed youth who on successful completion of the training will be recommended and reffered to the various agribusiness companies that requires their service.

Our core training crops are vegetables such as Tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, ugu, okra, lettuce, chilli peppers etc.

What it entails.
Succesfully growing vegetables
Green house farming
Diseases and pest control
Marketing your produce
Targeting the right season
Irrigation system
Oppourtunity in Dairy farming
Preservation of vegetables
Etc

Requirement for Participation

* Participants must have passion for agriculture and agribusiness. Be prepared to learn as we work.

* Participants should be prepare to undergo training for minimum of 3 months. 80% participation level is required

* Participants should be prepare to follow stipulated rules and regulations on the farm.

* Participant will be responsible for their feeding and maintenance for the training period.

* Participants who will like to be accommodated will be require to pay N15,000 for the 3 months period.

* Registration starts immediately.

* Its on first come first serve basis.

Training Location:
Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
Resumption Date.
June 6 2016
Send mail to adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Or call 08188540096 to register.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:39pm On May 12, 2016
sharpsharp:
Moderator what's happening, no more updates? Kindly educate someone like me more with your recent projects on greenhouse.
I have been busy with farm work. Will upgrade thread with the new development as soon as I am chanced
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On May 12, 2016
jethro2:

I have been busy with farm work. Will upgrade thread with the new development as soon as I am chanced

Madam at the top . . . .Longest time.
How much to cultivate one acre of land with tomotoes?
How long to be ready?
And how many basket would i realize from one acre?
How much per basket in the market and what is the ease of sales?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:01pm On May 13, 2016
Fhemmmy:

Madam at the top . . . .Longest time.
How much to cultivate one acre of land with tomotoes?
How long to be ready?
And how many basket would i realize from one acre?
How much per basket in the market and what is the ease of sales?

Good afternoon sir

I will reserve the first question for the last.

How long to be ready?

Tomato matures between 3-4months.

How many basket per an acre.

An acre if properly and well manage should give between 100 - 200 Hausa basket.

Hausa basket is between 50-70kg.

How much per basket in the market.

currently a basket is N20,000 - N30,000. depending on your location.

Peak tomato period is April - July.
Glut tomato period is Jan - March
moderate price other months.

Cost of an acre.

Tomato have series of challenges that makes the cost to vary.

1. Water source:

Rain water will be cheaper but comes along with diseases and infection.

Rain wash away the tomatoes.
Too much rain change the leave colour
Too little rain shrinks the leave
Acid rain brings septora whatever and others

Irrigation is expensive.
Borehole, drip sets, fuel for generator, maintenance etc.

2. Pest and diseases.
Each area comes with its peculiar one.
The pest are now resistance to the treatment eg Tuta Absoluta currently destroying tomatoes.

Alternatively
Build a screen/net house.
With local materials
Carpenters mess you up.
Can constru

or buy imported green house
Dizengolf sells 15m by 8m green house N1,500,000.

It takes 500 plants.
expected yield is 5 tonnes.
Not verified yet

These are some of the reason in variability in cost of production.

And lots more.
Seeds
Labour cost
Transportation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On May 13, 2016
jethro2:

Thanks you so much, will be in touch
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 10:34am On May 14, 2016
Just a footnote regarding Dizengoff kits:
They will NOT give you 5 tonnes or close. (VERIFIED)

We should discuss at some point the use of Greenhouses in Nigeria.
Which are better for this region? Nethouses or greenhouses??
Unfortunately, some of us have to learn the hard way because there's either no research or access to research information regarding these issues.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 10:48am On May 14, 2016
Babalagzy:

Unfortunately, some of us have to learn the hard way because there's either no research or access to research information regarding these issues.

Are you using Dizengoff built greenhouse?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 2:23pm On May 14, 2016
Pavore9:

Are you using Dizengoff built greenhouse?

Yes, I am
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:19pm On May 14, 2016
Babalagzy:

Wow. Thanks for confirming this.

Net house is better.
My team has been working on some net house.
We have planted some tomatoes and waiting to get the result.

So far, its been fantastic. The tomatoes are doing fine.
Will update later

Its organic all the way.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:21pm On May 14, 2016
Fhemmmy:
Thanks you so much, will be in touch
OK sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ishayaauta(m): 3:36pm On May 14, 2016
jethro2:

Wow. Thanks for confirming this.

Net house is better.
My team has been working on some net house.
We have planted some tomatoes and waiting to get the result.

So far, its been fantastic. The tomatoes are doing fine.
Will update later

Its organic all the way.

if you are in the north please avoid net house, I learned from my bitter experience. but the leather and glass green house works like magic.... Ehen ma, please do you have an idea on where I can get in-determinant tomatoes seed? I can't find it in the north, thanks ma. please keep on your good work, you've helped many 4 dat I still see u as a mentor thou we have never met. but I've consumed most of your write ups tnx a million my success story can never be completed without mentioning you.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by autofreak1(m): 3:41pm On May 14, 2016
Babalagzy:

This is interesting. I was planning to get one from Dizengoff then replicate it. Their Lagos and Ibadan offces gave two different prices for the same 8mx24m kit, 1.5m and 2.1m respectively with installation.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:03pm On May 14, 2016
ishayaauta:
if you are in the north please avoid net house, I learned from my bitter experience. but the leather and glass green house works like magic.... Ehen ma, please do you have an idea on where I can get in-determinant tomatoes seed? I can't find it in the north, thanks ma. please keep on your good work, you've helped many 4 dat I still see u as a mentor thou we have never met. but I've consumed most of your write ups tnx a million my success story can never be completed without mentioning you.

We are in the south west. Thanks for the information.

call 09037749037 for continental seed variety
08175442649 for East West Variety
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ishayaauta(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2016
jethro2:

We are in the south west. Thanks for the information.

call 09037749037 for continental seed variety
08175442649 for East West Variety
ok thanks ma I'll call by end of the month I don't have the cash now but please can you give me a ruff estimate 4 100g of both varieties tnx ma
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 5:04pm On May 14, 2016
@jethro2
Is the top of the nethouse covered with net or plastic sheet?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:26pm On May 14, 2016
ishayaauta:
ok thanks ma I'll call by end of the month I don't have the cash now but please can you give me a ruff estimate 4 100g of both varieties tnx ma

Please call the no. They will give you their price details. Its not compulsory you buy right away

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:27pm On May 14, 2016
Babalagzy:
@jethro2 Is the top of the nethouse covered with net or plastic sheet?
The top is covered with polyethylene nylon and the sides with net
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 10:44pm On May 14, 2016
Ok, that's cool.
Hope it doesnt get too hot in the nethouse though cos thats the main problem. I am using shade nets over the greenhouses and that has reduced the heat but the plants still get the needed sunlight.
The effect of heat etc is more noticeable when you plant semi-determinate seeds
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by whitecloth: 5:45pm On May 16, 2016
@ jethro2.
Hmmmm, I just finished reading from page 1-24, and I must confess am humbled to have learnt a lot from a woman, please how can I come in because as I was reading I saw that presently you're on a training, when is the next one coming up.
God bless your input to others life ma.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:21pm On May 16, 2016
Babalagzy:
Ok, that's cool.
Hope it doesnt get too hot in the nethouse though cos thats the main problem. I am using shade nets over the greenhouses and that has reduced the heat but the plants still get the needed sunlight.
The effect of heat etc is more noticeable when you plant semi-determinate seeds

The net house is performing wonderfully. And my team is constructing another one again.
I choose not to post pictures until we successfully harvest.
We will be shifting to net house all the way. The open field challenge is too much.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:31pm On May 16, 2016
whitecloth:
@ jethro2.
Hmmmm, I just finished reading from page 1-24, and I must confess am humbled to have learnt a lot from a woman, please how can I come in because as I was reading I saw that presently you're on a training, when is the next one coming up.
God bless your input to others life ma.

Our training are in 2 forms.
1. Farm Managers Agribusiness Training
Training duration is minimum of 3 months
Training fee is free.
Accommodation fee is N15,000 for the 3 months
Accommodation is optional.

2. Individual Trainees.
Trainee fee is :
N25,000 for a month
N15,000 for 2 weeks
N10,000 for a week.

The farm Managers Training starts by June 6th.
The Individual trainee can breeze in any time they choose
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by tundebabzy: 11:45am On May 17, 2016
ishayaauta:
Sir, do you do green house farming? Also, where are you located in the north?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by tundebabzy: 11:47am On May 17, 2016
jethro2:
Free On Farm Vegetable Practical Training For Farm Managers.

Due to constant request for experience farm managers from our clients, we have decided to train unemployed youth who on successful completion of the training will be recommended and reffered to the various agribusiness companies that requires their service.

Our core training crops are vegetables such as Tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, ugu, okra, lettuce, chilli peppers etc.

What it entails.
Succesfully growing vegetables
Green house farming
Diseases and pest control
Marketing your produce
Targeting the right season
Irrigation system
Oppourtunity in Dairy farming
Preservation of vegetables
Etc

Requirement for Participation

* Participants must have passion for agriculture and agribusiness. Be prepared to learn as we work.

* Participants should be prepare to undergo training for minimum of 3 months. 80% participation level is required

* Participants should be prepare to follow stipulated rules and regulations on the farm.

* Participant will be responsible for their feeding and maintenance for the training period.

* Participants who will like to be accommodated will be require to pay N15,000 for the 3 months period.

* Registration starts immediately.

* Its on first come first serve basis.

Training Location:
Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
Resumption Date.
June 6 2016
Send mail to adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Or call 08188540096 to register.

You now train for greenhouse farming. Well done ma. I should be your student but I work in the north. 3 months is too long for me to be off work and that's why some of us are hoping to get training via audivisuals
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by samblessed: 12:00pm On May 17, 2016
jethro2:
Since the YABDI Ogbomosho project, I have received several calls and enquiries from nairalanders on the production and marketing of Tomatoes profitably in Nigeria.
Hence forth I am going to be writing on my experiences , mistakes, solutions and the way forward as Tomato farmer .
Tomato is a crop that has no enemy. No tribal, cultural, nor religious sentiments about tomato.
Both young and old loves and takes tomatoes.
Tomatoe can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in stew, soup and other delicacies
How do I contact you Mr Jethro?
I mean a phone number or email address would be OK.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:17pm On May 17, 2016
samblessed:
How do I contact you Mr Jethro? I mean a phone number or email address would be OK.
08188540096 or adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Newway2(m): 1:15pm On May 17, 2016
Madam Jetro2,
Keep up d good work. U might nd ds:

Organic way 2 curb Tuta absoluta

http://www.farmbizafrica.com/news/tomato-farmers-use-sex-traps-to-fight-tuta-absoluta

jethro2:

08188540096 or adesola_yinka@yahoo.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ishayaauta(m): 3:04pm On May 17, 2016
tundebabzy:

Sir, do you do green house farming? Also, where are you located in the north?
kebbi state
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bamigee: 6:01pm On May 17, 2016
Jethro and other contributors,

I give KUDOs to you guys. Wish I could give KUDI instead

Your delivery is SuperB. I am highly motivated to go back to agri-business

I am researching and setting out soon I promise!

Hope to collaborate with some of you guys along the way.

You guys have that leadership spirit all over you.

Cheers
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:17am On May 18, 2016
bamigee:
Jethro and other contributors, I give KUDOs to you guys. Wish I could give KUDI instead Your delivery is SuperB. I am highly motivated to go back to agri-business I am researching and setting out soon I promise! Hope to collaborate with some of you guys along the way. You guys have that leadership spirit all over you. Cheers
Thank you sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:36am On May 18, 2016
More clarification on the Free Agribusiness Training.

We offered the training free for those that would love to start their own farm or be reffered to agribusiness organisations that needs farm managers.

The training is mainly for fruits a vegetables growing successfully.
Though we will be discussing on some other crops.

We arrange for paid accommodation because the farm settlement is a typical village and far from main town.

Accommodation will be reserve for the people that make payment for it. Its on first pay, first serve basis.

Accommodation is also optional. There are hotels around for those who want to make alternative arrangements.

Saki is the nearest town to us and is about 25 minutes drive. Ibadan is 3 hours drive from the farm settlement.

Its far...
Yes. Its not meant for lazy bones

Participants will be responsible for their feeding and managements in the farm.
Food is cheap around here. Participants can buy or choose to cook.

Participants should be prepare to follow rules and regulations binding us throughout the period for the training.

Participants with health challenges should please make arrangement for their medications and proper health care before leaving the city.

Yes we have clinics around.

Its a typical farm settlement.
No Ajebutter on the farm.

Resumption is Sunday 5th of June.

Wishing you a wonderful stay in the farm.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by whitecloth: 10:10am On May 18, 2016
jethro2:

Good afternoon sir
1. Water source:
Rain water will be cheaper but comes along with diseases and infection.
Rain wash away the tomatoes.
Too much rain change the leave colour
Too little rain shrinks the leave
Acid rain brings septora whatever and others
Irrigation is expensive.
Borehole, drip sets, fuel for generator, maintenance etc.
Mama Jethro, thanks for the post, I have a river flowing at the back of my two plot farm, can I use it to irrigate tomatoes?
I want to use a watering can, am I suppose to water from the root or on top the plant.
Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.