Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,277 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! (18842 Views)

Poll: This is:

Right: 34% (50 votes)
Wrong: 65% (95 votes)
This poll has ended

Police Reinstates dismissed Amos Olaniyan (Photos) / 13 Ex-Militants Dismissed From Lufthansa Pilot Training School In Germany / Escape Of Kabiru Sokoto: Zakari Biu Dismissed From Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by otukpo(f): 8:26am On Dec 30, 2008
C_Ronaldo
It does not pain me that u hold a contrary view to mine. I just pray that God will open your eyes.

Our country is stinking with corruption. it is just that u pple refused to understand the enormity of damage Ribadu did to Nigeria by allowing himslf used the way he did.

He had a golden opportunity and he messed it up.

whatever travails he's facing with the PSC is his making. He forgot that his master is no longer the one in charge and as such rules must be obeyed. i tell u, he is the architect of his own destruction. He cannot be above the Nigerian state or its constitution. It is not possible.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by otukpo(f): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2008
I have siad this b4 and am repeating it. that someone does not share your view that Ribadu is a saint does not mean the person is supporting those that Ribadu hunted.

They are all thieves. i pray that one day, they all will pay for the damage they did to our great country. the list is endless, so i dont want to start listing names and miss out some. they are all thieves.

i believe that all those that have contributed on this thread agree on the need to fight corruption in this country. the diffrerence peharps is our style or approach to the fight.

Whatever that needs to be done should be done rightly and accordingly.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by superboi(m): 10:30am On Dec 30, 2008
for the record, miss otukpo does not speak for otukpo people grin, nobody said ribadu is a saint, and my sista u don't need a saint to fight corruption. mr edgar hoover who dealt extensively with corruption in the usa had his skeleton with the mafia, but after he left the next guy cleared that mess and even though the whole usa know that he "SELECTIVELLY" ignored the mafia(he said the mafia did not exist), he still regarded a hero for the work he did and not a villian for the work he did not do.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by meexteriox(m): 11:44am On Dec 30, 2008
What goes around, comes around, simple.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by beeswax: 1:10pm On Dec 30, 2008
Oh God, why did You make me a nigerian
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by 2tait: 1:40pm On Dec 30, 2008
It may be wrong to simply assume that Ribadu was dismissed because of spite, in error or out of insanity prevailing in the system.
Ribadu himself has weaknesses which we all know. In addition the reasons for his dismissal was made public. Furthermore, even Ribadu and his EFCC had a mantra that said nobody was above the law. We are in the rule of law. If any injustice was done Ribadu should be free to follow due process and seek amends (justice) in the court of law. I am glad he is already following that direction. In the final analysis, we should be able to know what really happened.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by profits1: 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2008
I support fighting corruption totally in the right manner. Ribadu missed the chance he had, he missed the trigger by being selective and doing OBJ bid
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by adapcee(m): 7:31pm On Dec 30, 2008
Ribadu has being a great man in this country some months ago by fighting against corruption which is the main purpose why many nigerians like him.there is no big deal in ribadu accepting mr president's wish proposal as the EFCC boss,he has done good work for this country which you and i can see and testify to but the fact still remains that ribadu ignore police force rule/law and to this commision,indiscipline is an act that can not be tolerate in force.
Ribadu has really stepped on there toes by not following the protocols which is an act of indiscipline.moreover,i think the commission has given him enough time to compose himself but he messed all this chance up.
As a result,Nigerians that re willing to fight for him just have to step back coz the commission has a lot of prove agains him now.as for me,he messed the entire thing up by not showing up,this people are those that taught you,they are those that you met in this commission so NIGERIANS,tell me hu are you to disregard there order,
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by linuxuser(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2008
[
profit$:

I support fighting corruption totally in the right manner. Ribadu missed the chance he had, he missed the trigger by being selective and doing OBJ bid

Kindly mention those that were picked up and did not loot Nigeria. Five names will survive.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by Tapiya(m): 9:49pm On Dec 30, 2008
Hmmmn I just cant stop thinking aloud. Ribadu did not follow the rule of Law when the people that are enforcing it are not following it? Tell me Who is deceiving who?
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by olawonder(m): 12:41am On Dec 31, 2008
I sincerly believe you have to be politically literate to run a democratic state. These people see thier positions as club houses where all concerned issues has to be - generate revenues, celebrate the incomes by partying with it, hire family members to stuck up the funds with and then fire whoever proves to be stubborn! They never think about anyone outside the government blocks, whether they are going to be questioned by the public or not, and all we Nigerians do is play the 'blame game'. I'm not really pround of that country when it comes to opinions, many of us probably would be worse if we resume any of these positions, that's why many people here see nothing wrong in what happened to Ribadu.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by PurestBoy(m): 12:58am On Dec 31, 2008
@ Uche

You're Original Anuofia of the first order
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by profits1: 1:27am On Dec 31, 2008
@Linususer, if you mention any state governor that didnt loot during Ribadu, I will mention the five you requested.

Hear me out that out of all the corrupt governors, those that were harrassed were those that had something against third term, presidential library, one or more axe to grind with OBJ,

He was busy commenting that 31 state govs were Corrupt but no prosecution, only to submit their names to INEC without prosecution, The ideal purnishment for corruption in Naija is it only barring from elective post?

What pratical thing did he do about the corrupt practices of IBB who installed OBJ?
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by dm1(m): 12:07pm On Dec 31, 2008
Poor guy!!! I hope is not nemesis that is catching up with him?
if not God is and will always be with the truthful.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2008
D m

Cant u read, it is not nemesis catching up with the guy, it is Iborisis.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by PROJECT: 3:09pm On Dec 31, 2008
i will advise all of you to ignore this uncreative person, are we saying in this country people can not do the rite thing,even if its for the wrong reason,i bet you soon, we shall witness a revolution soooon
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by PROJECT: 3:15pm On Dec 31, 2008
i dont understand what we say some time, ribadu vwas almost assasinated,he went into hiding and now this fat fools want him to surface so they can finish him,, why was he posted to benin.i know why and will keep watching but pastic bombs are not difficult to make this days you knowwww and we shall have a worse case in nigeria soooooooon.we must all stand for somethingor fall for anything
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by wirinet(m): 4:27pm On Dec 31, 2008
I pray my brothers and sisters in forum can look at the bigger picture, I am bold to say that " RIBADU DID NOT FIGHT CORRUPTION", he was carrying out OBJ's agenda, and he was carrying out his own agenda, he wanted to rise to IG in six years. Look ribadu was a media creation. Look how many Americans know the director of FBI or other similar anti-corruption agencies in the west. Most of Ribadu's convictions were political convictions e.g. Alams did not serve a day in prison ( Alams was in Hospital most of the time), same for Tafa Balogun (Tafa was under EFCC detention - Airconditioned room). They were asked to refund some of their loot and go home after OBJ had removed them from office using Ribadu.

So please who was actually sent to Kirikiri for Looting.

About the five people that was not corrupt among those Ribadu arrested, the question should be which political office holder that was not corrupt during Ribadu's Era. Please how come Alams was able to steal state treasury alone, his vice was not arrested, his accountant general was not arrested, the commisioner of finance went scot free. So Alams was able to do all the looting alone. Same for Tafa and all others Ribadu arrested, how come they had no accomplices, and Ribadu would say he fought corruption.

The most annoying one was vice president Atiku's case, how come with all his so called skills of fighting corruption, the only case he had against atiku was that he placed 20 million dollars of PTDF's money in ETB (Adenuga's Bank and TIB), we all thought Atiku was the most corrupt Nigerian alive (according to Ribadu). It is either Atiku was a saint, or he was far smarter than Ribadu or all his deals also involved Ribadu's Oga , which Ribadu is blind to, and the only deal without OBJ's involvement was the PTDF deal

Fellow Nigeria go back and read George Orwell's Animal Farm. It was the same scene as Ribadu's fight against corruption.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by superboi(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2008
mr wirinet even in the most developed countries the beginning of the fight against corruption is always dirty and you need individuals that are ready to mudsling and mudwrestle to start it. also the best way to fight this battle is to be selective, i mean if u want to fight a giant you just have to focus on the weakest part not the whole(in obj"s time the weakest part was the governors).ribadu probably knew he was going to be sacked from the police force and he is still in the game and even getting more relevant thank to those dumb tactless politicians, ribadu is graudally becoming a political force.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by LFJ: 2:52pm On Jan 01, 2009
Nigeria's problem as far as corruption is concerned is a generational curse. The way some of us express ourselves on this issue is another clear indication that Nigeria's future is in danger.

We ought to be crying for what has befallen us as a nation, Our generation seems to be another wasted one and based on the existing structure, our children may not see a brighter future too except by 'God's intervention'. If God gives one hands and mouth and one is fortunate to have a meal before him, it is left for him to either eat the food or keep looking at it. We have the right to vote in Nigeria but we always vote and fight for the wrong people to get to power. We always call on God without doing our part, we ought to tie our camel first then put our trust in God else the camel will strut while escaping.

How do we see a better tomorrow or a brighter future when the man that sacrificed a lot to put things right by prosecuting corrupt public office holders as well as corrupt citizens is now an enemy of the state. Nuhu Ribadu went as far as recovering and returning a huge sum from the $242million stolen from a Brazilian bank by Nigerian scammers back to the owners, the bank by the way collapsed as a result of the scam and the bank manager also lost his life. During his reign as EFCC boss, Nigeria's corruption rating dropped (Transparency international). What more can we ask for? Those celebrating Ribadu's downfall should search their conscience and think of what their lives would have been if things work out fine for our dearest country.

I expected those who are celebrating Ribadu's travails to have come up with better logical arguments than saying:

• Ribadu carried out selective justice against OBJ's enemy; A reasonable argument would have been to say Ribadu used his position to victimize innocent people. The so called OBJ's enemies were the true enemies of Nigeria, they helped pilot Nigeria to this hopeless situation whereby over eighty percent of Nigerian graduates are jobless, and about 85% of Nigerian's live on less than $1 a day. Those who see these thieves as their friends today either because they are being paid as one of their agents or because you have received favors from them will soon realize that they are being paid little today in exchange for a gloomy future for them and their children. I will advice that you ask your conscience if none of those officials accused of corruption by Ribadu was truly corrupt.

• Ribadu's promotion was illegal lacks substance, this argument show's that some of us don’t actually understand the veto power of the president in a presidential system of government. Ribadu's promotion whether partial or otherwise in the face of law is legal. The president has the executive power under the constitution to 'double' promote Nuhu Ribadu for performing excellently. In primary schools, if a child performs excellently well, he is allowed to take his National Common Entrance Examination in Primary 5 instead of primary 6. The same applied to Ribadu I suppose, it's all common sense but common sense is not a common thing, I believe.

• That his suit against his employers is against the policies in the Nigeria Police is ridiculous and if a policy like that truly exists, then it's draconian. Can anyone tell me if seeking redress for injustice in a court of law is an offence, this is part of our right to freedom and life which is enshrined in our cherished constitution. Ribadu acted in line with the provisions of the Nigeria constitution and this has further confirmed him as a man that believes in the rule of law.

• The argument that he was not in Police uniform at the NIPPS graduation does not hold water either. when one's case is in court, one cannot assume to be right or wrong. What uniform should Ribadu have worn at the NIPPS graduation? The AIG or the Deputy Commisioner's uniform? Honestly, all these really shows why the literacy level in Nigeria is about sixty percent, our rulers not leaders and certain individuals just don't understand, they don't get it, might never get it.

I am very happy that majority of the people on this forum know the truth and have said it except for a few, who have consistently displayed their ignorance towards the damage corruption has caused our nation, they have equally shown their shallow knowledge about what the rule of law is all about, that explains why they continue to tell us that Ribadu did not follow the rule of law. What else would a reasonable man consider honorable under the rule of law when his right is being trampled upon besides seeking justice in a law court recognized by Nigeria’s constitution.

If taxi drivers, market women, village teachers, the international community and those who have tried their best for Nigeria even at the expense of their lives can say that Ribadu deserves to be celebrated, then the arguments of ‘yahoo boys’ like profit$ and that of an agent like creativity should be ignored.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by LFJ: 3:39pm On Jan 01, 2009
Tougher times ahead, says Fawehinmi
By Akpo Esajere, Group Political Editor

LEFT to prominent lawyer and human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), Nigerians might as well put on their sackcloth and begin to mourn as the New Year is ushered in.

Sounding like a Prophet of Doom on Tuesday, he issued a damning prediction that "Nigeria is going to be in total mess in 2009. The year will be one of the most gruelling for the people. In 2009, the country will not be very rich. Corruption may even be upgraded and we will see less of electricity from Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN)."

Speaking to The Guardian at his Lagos home on Tuesday, he said that things would be so bad in the energy sector that Nigeria will be worse than even countries at war like Israel and Palestine, which enjoy more stable access to electricity than the country.

"Those who are at war like the Israelis and Palestinians have more electricity than Nigeria. Israel has 10 times more electricity than Nigeria. Even the Palestinians enjoy more than five times the electricity we have in Nigeria and they are at war. We are not at war. The money is flowing but there is no good manager," he said.

According to him: "In 2009, we will see more poverty, more bad roads, decrepit medical institutions and incomes will be substantially reduced. The revenue that the government would have will be substantially reduced. We will have more crises because I don't see how the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) will not pursue its minimum wage crusade.

"The government may attempt to increase the price of petroleum products because of the loss it is sustaining from low revenue from oil."

Despite the picture of gloom, he said that "there are some people in this country who can virtually turn stone into water. It is not only Israel that we have Jews. We have Jews in Nigeria too. In the East, the easterners are extremely hardworking and also some people in parts of the West and North."

In the face of the depression, Fawehinmi said that "we need a very strong President in our country. We need a man who will do what is right for the nation as an entity and for the people. We need a man who will put programmes and policies that will lift the ordinary man from the doldrums of poverty to happiness. We need a man who will stand against all forms of social injustices; the most paramount is corruption.

"We need a man who will deal with corruption with his life. We need a man who will put God first. You put God first when you think of the interest of the man in the street. If you say you are a religious man and you want to put God first, you have to do what Prophet Mohammed did; you have to do what Jesus Christ did. Christ and Mohammed worked for the poor and died for the poor."

Adding further to the gloom, Fawehinmi said that the present leadership of "Yar'Adua is far from all those qualities and characteristics I have put forward. He is not putting God first. To put God first, a President should look at how the people are living, how families are dying from the fumes coming out from generators because there is no electricity.

"You should look at God first by ensuring that people don't die of hunger. You look at God first when you come to the hospital and every hospital is equipped with modern equipment that can diagnose problems and the people have access to the most modern treatment on earth. You look at God first when you don't pick dead bodies on the road as a result of accidents caused by potholes on our bad roads.

"You look at God first when people who want education will get education. You look at God first when you go to the universities, secondary schools and so on and you can say 'I am proud of these institutions. You put God first when the wealth of the nation is used to promote the interest and welfare of the people.

"You put God first from the way you behave and how people around you live. Nigerians are dying from poverty. Their children cannot get access to institutions they want to get to. The country is not being run. We are retrogressing; our country is retrogressing daily."

He noted that the country has found itself in these dire straits because of poor management and lack of foresight.

"A year ago, our major source of income, oil, was selling for $147 per barrel. A good President should have harnessed the proceeds to look at areas he can invest them to combat the poverty of our people. Nothing was done.

"Today, the price of oil is below $40 per barrel. When you cannot perform when oil was $147 per barrel, when money was streaming in and pouring in, will you perform when the stream is drying up? When resources are drying up, you cannot. If I did not perform when I was very strong in health, when I was 30, 40 years, what will I be living on now at 70? When we translate it to governance, it is more serious. There is no governance," he asserted.

According to Fawehinmi, "the country is retrogressing daily."

Citing examples from various sectors, he said that there was nothing to cheer the people about. He said that the government got its fight on corruption on a wrong footing when it sacked and has continued to hound the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Nuhu Ribadu.

He said: "This country has been very bad in terms of corruption and for the first time in many years, one man came, Ribadu came for the first time in the history of Nigeria and dealt with the corrupt people. You could accuse him of anything, but you cannot accuse him of corruption.

"When Ribadu was there, the fear of the EFCC was the beginning of wisdom. Nobody cares about the EFCC now. What is EFCC under Mrs. Farida Waziri? EFCC has lost its custom under Waziri. Ribadu's EFCC should not be treated like Waziri's EFCC. One was focussed, determined, courageous and ready to fight against the big shots. The other, which is Waziri, is prepared to wear the soft gloves: 'well, you know, our position is rule of law.'

"I don't know what they mean by the rule of law. There is something about the rule of law they are parroting. When they get stuck about doing what is right for the people and they don't know what next to do, then they need rule of law.

"Rule of law means the law must rule. The law rules when you have the courts and you have a system, you have the laws that are made, that will give the people hope about solving their problems and so on and so forth.

"But you are talking about rule of law and the President is not giving the workers hope. People have to queue for their pension and some die along the way; people don't have a living wage; people don't have access to good education or good health system. It is provided in sections 16 and 17 of our Constitution that you must give the people these things and you say you are practising rule of law."

The activist, who is fighting lung cancer and rejected the national award of Order of the Federal Republic (OFR) given to him by the Federal Government last month, said that he has no regret in turning down the award.

"All they do is to try to put you into their circle by offering you what they call Ole Federal Republic (OFR). I don't want to be Ole Federal Republic or take any honour from a government that has no honour. Honestly, we are in deep crisis. We will see the crisis more in 2009," he stressed.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by Backslider(m): 9:07pm On Jan 01, 2009
@LFJ
Very Good input
We are either going to loose or win.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by mic4: 6:57pm On Jan 02, 2009
Although, i am not much bothered about the urgent report but i know the true God that i am serving. vengeance is mine and i believe he is the the only one who can take charge of the issue. Under normal circumstances, Ribadu has laid good legacy to fight corruption at a minimum level but t5he approavch i what people dislike. justice will surely take place very soon and the righteous will take control at the end. A bend road is not an end road.

weydem,
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by BecomeRich: 7:01pm On Jan 02, 2009
I think you people should forget the issue of ribadu. Look President Yar adua has the power to fire him. He as done so, please move on. Ribadu have no right to disgrace the president and he did. that was pride when he did not use his uniform on a visit to Aso rock. He could have call in sick on that day. he refused to do that.

He could go into law.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by LFJ: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
Comment of Nigeria Senator on Ribadu travail

Senator Mamora explained that the removal of Ribadu as EFCC boss never followed due process as laid down in the act setting up the commission , and that this invariably negates the provision of the constitution , adding that unless the process of his removal as EFCC boss was tidy , it would be difficult to erase that impression from the minds of Nigerians that he was dealt with unjustly.

“Ribadu’s removal did not follow due process as laid down in the act establishing the commission. In spite of the perceived excesses of Mallam Ribadu as EFCC chief under Obasanjo, the young man must be given credit for his doggedness, courage ,tenacity of purpose , passion for his job and for pushing the war against corruption into the front burner.

“Mallam Ribadu is not perfect, but he tried to make a difference. Some people argued that Ribadu is the architect of his own fate. I do not share this view .The Ribadu treatment may discourage people from putting in their best under a difficult environment,” he said.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by Nobody: 1:07am On Jan 04, 2009
Obasanjo lobbies Yar’Adua for Ribadu’s re-instatement 4/1/2009

NOT pleased with the recent dismissal of the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu from the Police force, former President Olusegun Obasanjo is reportedly lobbying for his reinstatement.

The Nation learnt that Obasanjo is putting pressure on President Umar Yar'Adua and the Police authorities to reinstate Ribadu who was dismissed for alleged indiscipline.
Obasanjo is said to be worried that Ribadu's dismissal is a dent on his anti-corruption legacy which he (Obasanjo) regards as one of his major achievements.
The former president also considers Ribadu's sack as a personal indictment since he was the one that recommended his promotion that should have been approved by the Police Service Commission, PSC.
The lobby for Ribadu's reinstatement is said to be a move to prevent Obasanjo from being probed by the EFCC, a source hinted.

It was not clear what the reaction of the President to his predecessor's move would be at the weekend.”President Yar'Adua is however said to be bothered about charges of indiscipline against Ribadu by the Police force.
“You know the position of the President to issues that bothers on due process. Ordinarily he wouldn't think about such matter as an officer duly dismissed.
“But , again, he has some measure of respect for his predecessor, which makes the issue of Ribadu's recall a source of intense concern to him,” a presidency source said.
Some of the misconducts allegedly perpetrated by Ribadu after his demotion included: Improper dressing by appearing in plain clothes while on official courtesy visit to Mr. President on 13th November, 2008 with other NIPSS Course participants, contrary to rule 030301 (k) of the
Public Service Rules 2006.

Others included institution of legal proceedings against the Inspector-General of Police, Attorney-General of the Federation and the Police Service Commission on 2

ndOctober, 2008 at the Federal High Court, Lagos; refusal to wear police uniform with the rank of Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) following his demotion from the rank of Assistant Inspector General (AIG); refusal to appear before the Police Committee Panel and refusal to go on transfer to Benin after completing the NIPSS Course.

Following the recommendation of the Force Disciplinary Committee (FDC) to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mike Okiro early December, the police authorities subsequently announced Ribadu’s dismissal from the Police Force on Tuesday, December 23, 2008.

Okiro, who broke the news during a press briefing at the Force Headquarters in Abuja said Ribadu’s "refusal to accept his posting or report for duty is a very serious misconduct and may lead to dismissal in the Armed Forces and the Police as such action is inimical to national security".

Expectedly, Ribadu’s dismissal from the Police Force was greeted with reactions from members of the public.

Activist-lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) while reacting to the news of the dismissal said: "It was the act of an evil, lawless and corrupt government".

For right activist, Mr. Femi Falana, Ribadu’s "dismissal is contemptuous of the pending suit filed by Mr. Ribadu against the Police Service Commission and the IGP".

However former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Chief Richard Akinjide (SAN), described the dismissal of the former anti-corruption czar from the Police Force as "long overdue".

Akinjide, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees, said Ribadu should have left office with former President Obasanjo in May 2007.

"He should have gone with President Obasanjo. His holding on to office was the biggest mistake he made", he told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Speaking in the same vein, Mallam Garba Shehu, the media aide to former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, in a press statement last week had described the present travails of the former EFCC boss as "pay back time".

According to Shehu, Ribadu was a pawn in the hands of Obasanjo, who used him at will to hound his perceived political opponents.

Some members of the civil society including the Movement Against Corruption (MAC), a coalition of 300 groups have, however, been drumming up support for the embattled former EFCC chair.

The group, at a press conference in Lagos on Tuesday said Ribadu’s dismissal in what it called questionable circumstances "only betrays the conclusion of a script this government commenced acting precisely a year ago when it summarily removed Ribadu from office".

"Ribadu’s dismissal from the Police Force sends a very strong and wrong signal to the entire workforce of the Nigerian public service on how not to efficiently discharge official responsibilities, particularly when such borders on integrity of highly-placed ‘dirty’ persons in the society", it added.

Four civil society organizations have also petitioned the United Nations Special Rapporteur, Mr. Leandro Despouy, over the dismissal of Ribadu from the Police Force.

The group, Socio-Economic Accountability Project (SERAP), Committee for the Defence of Human Right (CDHR), Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre (WARDC) and Partnership for Justice (PFJ) in a petition dated December 30, accused the police authorities of failing to follow what they called internationally recognized fair trial standards.

The petition was signed by SERAP Executive Director Adetokunbo Mumuni; CDHR President Olasupo Ojo; WARDC Executive Director Abiola Afolabi-Akiyode, and PFJ Managing Partner, Itoro Eze-Anaba.

after perpetrating illegality, they try to justify it with OBJ's name

The propaganda was OBJ was behind Ribadu's ordeal now OBJ wants Ribad re-instated.

Nigerians are no longer buying the lies
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by wirinet(m): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2009
linususer:

Kindly mention those that were picked up and did not loot Nigeria. Five names will survive.

There are dozens of people that Ribadu Locked up, sometimes for up to 6 months without trial. One i can remember was Otumba Fasewe , a loyal ally of Atiku, Just because he was the one that borrowed the 20 Million dollars the PTDF lodged with TIB. It was the courts that freed Fasewe form the Illegal detention. Also it was Ribadu that persecuted Mike Adenuga out of Nigeria without establishing a case against him or taking him to court. Most of the house of assembly members from Bayelsa State were Locked by Ribadu illegally without charging them or taking them to court, until they impeached their governor. The plateau State legislators were on able to function for fear of illegal arrest by Ribadu just because they refused to impeach Governor Dariye. The least of people Ribadu arrested illegally is endless, you just have to browse through newspapers from about 3 years ago.

People forget Ribadu's Job is to Investigate and prosecute if a clear case is established.

i am often very annoyed when i am told that it was Ribadu that stopped Odili from becoming vice president. When did his portfolio include vetting political office holders, we did not even know Ribadu had a case against Odili (he only said he had a case against 31 govs, which till today is only known to Ribadu). Yes if Odili Had a pending court case it would be naturally unappropriated for him to vie for vice president. But he had none. Please do not misunderstand me i am not saying Odili is not corrupt, all i am saying is that you can not punish a man based on Just suspicion, you have to present facts in a competent court of law
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by FrankC3: 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2009
,  and to me this OBJ guy is looking like a MODEL compared to this YouRDull guys.

My worst guess when he was coming in was that he will maintain with sanity, some good structures that OBJ put up but this guy is dismantling Nigeria, smashing Nigeria into pieces and promising to wake up in 2009 without any reasonable policy trust.

The cabal seem not to know that persecuting Ribadu down will be among the things that not even Akunyili will be able to explain away. Ribadu shall be vindicated, he is a MAN!!
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by McKren(m): 6:06pm On Jan 04, 2009
I just thank God Dora has been very smart to be making all her noise based on ICT and Telecom.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by DExplorer1: 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2009
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by jacobs123(m): 11:12am On Jan 05, 2009
@ wirinet & profit$

when you guys claim that Ribadu is a media creation and ask for the name of the FBI director, my simple response is how come we almost know the names of all the bank MD's in Nigeria and most people (even those going on Frank Edoho's Who wants to be a Millionaire) will probably be clueless if asked for the names of CEO's of foreign banks like Citibank, Goldman Sachs, RBS etc and these includes people living in these countries.
It's good you guys have access to the internet and can come online and support the people who have made living a complicated matter in this country against a Ribadu whose actions made Nigeria become a nation where investors are willing to stake their money and some of these money trickling down to those of us who have skills but no relations in government (through Job creation).

Mr Ribadu has done his bit and I'm sure history and God are there to judge him. Mr Yar Adua has now got his own opportunity. Now that he's probably through with reversals and gotten Mr. Ribadu out, i hope we can get on with the business of governance.
It is however important to note that our children and young ones are watching and are forming their opinions. I grew up believing that the triumph of evil over good can only be temporal. I've since seen many things to suggest otherwise but my belief remains yet unshaken.
Re: Mallam Ribadu Dismissed From The Police! by chidichris(m): 11:32am On Jan 05, 2009
linuxuser,
find out the name of the man that contexted the seat with iyabo obasanjo. he never held any public office in nigeria but ribadu went after him as a means to bring him down for iyabo who is a popular high way robber wanted in the usa in a kidnap case,

all the govs were corrupt including yar adua who only returned a govt property dashed to him by el rufai during the senate panel seating over the fct.

i have asked this over and over again, did this so called ribadu war on corruption reduced corruption or did corruption increased in the eaight years of obj?

if we want to be truthful here, two villages were wiped out, artoney general of the federal was killed without trace, an elected gov was unseated via a coup, billions of dollars were lost through contracts and contractors with federal govt, the worst election in the history of man, thugs were on rampage all over nigeria, armenitions were part of the pdp campeigns,media houses were destroyed in a democratic setting, politicians became the richest class all happened in the eight years of obj and ribadu and the perpetracors of all the above mentioned crimes and others are still saints among us so tell me where and how this war on corruption was held.

Nigerians,
i do not trust this man -obj for he can be manipulating all these to make sure we regret not supporting the third term agenda. the man trusts nobody so he could mess up ribadu to avoid him changing his mind and coming after him.

who is saying that a president that told his nation that an election is going to be a do or die affairs is fighting corrfuption. that statement alone makes him a criminal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

See The Pics Of Nigeria First Newspaper / IPOB Drags FG To Court, Demands N8.5bn Compensation / Grant Us Amnesty Or We’ll Cripple Lagos, Ogun, Arepo Militants Explode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.