Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,335 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

General Buhari's Military Government - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Buhari's Military Government (87238 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / PDP Salutes Buhari, Military For Capturing Sambisa Forest / Non-appointment Of Ministers Shows Buhari’s Military Hangover – Nwabueze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by tommykiwi(m): 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
Seun:
It's hard to get the real truth about General Buhari's first government when all the storytellers are trying to influence our votes. President Jonathan's people want us to believe that it was a terrible time for Nigerians, but General Buhari's people say it was blissful and lovely.

I found the stories and quotes below on the US library of congress website (via barcanista, ironically). They're very balanced and objective, so please let's all read them very carefully. I have consciously chosen not to highlight the paragraphs that I might personally consider to be important since that will introduce bias.

thanks for the USELESS info! With all dis info U did not tell Us anytin abt is CERTIFICATE or is real AGE! Tell us those ones abeg MR story teller!

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by beylinko(m): 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
With the info, I see lots of loopholes in what was portrayed about this man... He only ruled for 20 months. Damn!

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by annibro(f): 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
Hmm
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by thermalroll: 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2015
Change is life and life about changes
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by zinosleek(m): 4:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
I think GMB is stepping into same scenario as the last time he took over, but I believe the difference this time will be the team he is setting up, with people like osinbajo and fashola on his team, I will pick him any day over GEJ with the likes of people with GEJ. our major problem at the moment is the uncreasing acceptance of corrupt practices, we need a crusader against corruption.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by uyplus(m): 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
GEJ is really that bad to allow Abba Moro still be a serving minister after defrauding jobless youths. He is really that bad to increase his feeding budget from N1bn in 2014 to N4bn in 2015. He is that bad to stay mute when hus wife was indicted in a $13m money laundering case with EFCC. He is really that bad to allow Dieziani use N10bn on private travels. He is really that bad to have spent $30bn on revamping power yet no giant achievements has been made. He is really that bad to have increased our external debts from $26bn to $70bn. He is really that bad to have spent N968bn as security budget yet nothing has been achieved against the fight for insurgency. He is really that bad to have stayed mute on the missing $20bn exposition by the whistle blower, Sanusi Lamido. He is really that bad to be budgeting N2bn to build VP residence while ordinary Nigerians are homeless. He is really that to be spending N10bn on 11 presidential jets, when he should be more prudent to have max of 2. He is really that bad to have allowed $15m to be swept under the carpet in the illegal arm deal at South Africa, where the names of the Nigerians involved are still shrouded in secrecy but the name of the Israeli was exposed. He is really that to have attended the Organization of Islamic Countries meeting when no president in Nigeria has ever attended such. He is really that bad to have stayed mute on the scam $470m cctv contract deal in FCT, yet no surveillance camera is working. He is really that bad to have said stealing is not corruption. He is really that bad to have said "how much did Jim Nwobodo stole, money that can't buy a Peugeot" (why would a sitting president commonise stealing of public funds, even if it's N1, it shouldn't be stolen because it's should be a call to service and not an avenue to redefine comfort). He is really that bad to have allowed to pension scam thief go with a little punishment. He is really that bad to have pardoned ex-convicts like Bode george, and Alameyghsia. He is really that bad to have not even find a major road like the east/west road which connconnects the south south region. He is really that bad to allow an overinflated budget of N117bn for the 1.5km 2nd Niger bridge yet Lagos state government built the 1.3km Lekki-Ikoyi bridge for N29bn. GEJ is really that bad to allow Tompolo own a warship, and Asari and Boyloaf issue war threat, yet they haven't been arrested. He is failure to have used his cohorts to aattempt sweeping the issue of the alleged missing N30tn under the carpet.

Nigerians want change. We demand accountability. We want a government that is ready to fight for the masses.

To hell with GEJ. If you fail to see that he is a failure, I will open your eyes to the obvious. He is a failure, even with 6years of oil boom he failed, now he wants to deceive us that he can perform in 4years in oil doom.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by philips70(m): 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
babyosisi:

Is this called change?
Outlawing NMA,student govts,suppressing the press and throwing people in prison without a trial and replacing the laws of the land with tyranny?

Are we still in a military government? What's more important here are intentions. Sincerity, principles and genuine intentions to punish sleaze and rid the nation of the corrupt behemoth holding our development to ransom. If you can only open your mind to see what Nigeria has and how it could have been put to good use by serious and responsible leaders. Deceits do not last for long and no one can stand in the way of a moving train.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by dunkem21(m): 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
Mu mbo.
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 05, 2015

The regime attempted to stifle criticism. Journalists were harassed, and many critics were arrested. Symbolically, the arrest of the popular musician, Fela Ransome-Kuti, personified the crackdown. Ransome-Kuti's lyrics sharply mocked the government's inability to deal with national problems. The National Security Organisation (NSO) became the principal instrument of repression. The NSO, created in 1976, had played only a marginal role in Nigerian politics until the Buhari regime. Buhari appointed Rafindadi, a civilian, as head of the NSO, and under Rafindadi, Nigeria experienced the harassment and insecurity of a secret police force for the first time. Fortunately, the NSO proved to be inefficient, and subsequent reaction to its operations led to its reorganization.

Is this the change?

6 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by mathskill: 4:35pm On Feb 05, 2015

5 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 05, 2015
scribble:
I dey fear Buhari

It's no wonder he treated Umaru Dikko so, the file on this man for human rights abuses and economic malfeasance is thick in washigton DC.

No wonder he canceled his trip.

I'm sure the Americans will not know why Nigerians are a seemingly suicidal people or perhaps their most learned psychologists have already classified this slave love for master type mentality.

How can I see educated people clamouring for a Buhari presidency because of a buzz word "change" coined by An American PR expert.
Nigerians like most black people including myself can be ignorant, sentimental and non analytical.

Nigerians justice must prevail. The NIGER DELTA must feel like they are a part of the Nigerian project by US rising up on Valentine or whenever not to scuttle the ambition of this man who is trying compared to some other losers us or our ancestors have witnessed before.

Pls be wise, be reasonable.

That's for the retrogressive s and backward thinkers. As for me and my household, GEJ all the way, GEJ till 2019 cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

8 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
I don't need the antecedents of General Buhari's history during his time as a military head of state, to decide whether or not to vote for him. Autocratic tendencies of the military are all well too known. grin

But this is a different dispensation. Time has changed
I cannot think that Buhari will bring with him the same high - handed spirit that was his watch word, some 30 years ago. Even if he does, I guess it all serves Nigeria and Nigerians well. We have let corruption and fraud in both high and low places to define our way of lives. Resolute spirit to engage this dreaded canckerworm headlong, is either weak or completely inexistence. grin cheesy

GEJ has a good spirit but not a resolute one. Only military trained mind, who has imbibed the tenets of discipline and strictness but closely guarded under democracy, that can go a long way to fixing the rot we find ourselves in.

13 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 05, 2015
mathskill:
why cant you put things in context? That was a military regime. Moreover didnt you read were it was stated he declined to accept IMF death pill and how he managed the economy.

Buhari has never ruled Nigeria if not in a military regime
You folks promote him as a good leader based on his military rule at the same time exonerate his ills as a military leader
You can't have it both ways
The only basis to judge him is to look at what he had done in the past
We have no other records to rely on do we?
He hasn't been a democratic leader so no one knows what type of leader he will be
In other words he has no experience in ruling a democracy
Therefore he is not fit to rule
We are not prepared to allow a novice handle a place as complex as Nigeria
He should start by vying for house of reps or as a commissioner in his home state and then for governorship in katsina so we can assess him He has no experience with democracy.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:45pm On Feb 05, 2015
I am not affiliated to any party. It is however obvious that Buhari had Nigeria at heart but went about tackling national issues the wrong way.

I suspect he believed scape goats from the "war against indiscipline" would serve as a check on citizens. However, it was abused by those at the corridors of power.

Propaganda aside, I believe Buhari will do well. My fear is the wide spread corruption in virtually every sector. What happens when he starts stepping on toes? What happens when Nigerians do not see the change they anticipated in a short time?

Jonathan on the contrary has equally done well, although on a slow pace. Reforms in the transport and agricultural sectors are plausible.

The bottom line is that government need to effectively communicate with the masses. Do not just make laws, explain why so that even the layman would understand.

In conclusion, corruption starts with you. From trying to jump the queue, to not paying your nepa bill and taxes, inflating the standard price of a contract to earn twice as much, cheating a buyer, amongst others.
Change should start from us and not them. It is said that a leader is a true representation of what the people deserve.

#SAYNOTOELECTIONVIOLENCE.

20 Likes 9 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Hoodwing(m): 4:45pm On Feb 05, 2015
if you dnt knw who to vote, vote me. am the best Nigeria will ever get. say no to political parties grin
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by adewumi91(m): 4:45pm On Feb 05, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Buhari is a despot. Simple!

What is a military regime supposed to be, a democracy? think. Was Obasanjo not a former military leader? Was his regime a democracy?
When he came back to power in 1999, did he dare to rule Nigeria the same way he did from 1977 to 1979? Let's reason and stop this backlash against the military records of General Buhari.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Olaone1: 4:46pm On Feb 05, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 05, 2015
adewumi91:

What is a military regime supposed to be, a democracy? think. Was Obasanjo not a former military leader? Was his regime a democracy?
When he came back to power in 1999, did he dare to rule Nigeria the same way he did from 1977 to 1979? Let's reason and stop this backlash against the military records of General Buhari.

Obasanjo did not have a reputation as a tyrant during his military rule unlike Buhari
Big difference

7 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 05, 2015
Constraints were placed on various groups, including the Nigerian Medical Association, which was outlawed, and the National Association of Nigerian Students, and it promulgated two decrees that restricted freedom of the press and suppressed criticism of the government. Decree Number 4 forbade any journalist from reporting information considered embarrassing to any government official. Two journalists, Tunde Thompson and Nduka Irabor, were convicted under the decree. Decree Number 2 gave the chief of staff at Supreme Headquarters the power to detain for up to six months without trial anyone considered a security risk.

Overated. GEJ till GMB turns 77.

4 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 05, 2015
State Security (Detention of Persons) De[b]cree Number 2 of 1984 suspended constitutional freedoms, empowered the chief of staff, Supreme Headquarters, to detain indefinitely (subject to review every three months) anyone suspected of "acts prejudicial to state security or . . . [contributing] to the economic adversity of the nation.[/b]" The decree also authorized any police officer or member of the armed forces to arrest and imprison such persons.

Buhari is also the man that started the unprecedented corruption of the police force with illegal detentions and harassment of citizens
Under Buhari the police could pretty much arrest and detain anyone they felt like
He gave them those powers
From that moment on the NPF has never been the same

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by adewumi91(m): 4:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
Kindly tell me about the military regime of Olusegun Obasanjo if you seem so knowledgeable about military regimes. What experience did he have prior to his re-emergence in 1999? Let's have a issue based debate, not some sentimental comments.

babyosisi:

Buhari has never ruled Nigeria if not in a military regime
You folks promote him as a good leader based on his military rule at the same time exonerate his ills as a military leader
You can't have it both ways
The only basis to judge him is to look at what he had done in the past
We have no other records to rely on do we?
He hasn't been a democratic leader so no one knows what type of leader he will be
In other words he has no experience in ruling a democracy
Therefore he is not fit to rule
We are not prepared to allow a novice handle a place as complex as Nigeria
He should start by vying for house of reps or as a commissioner in his home state and then for governorship in katsina so we can assess him He has no experience with democracy.

8 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 05, 2015
adewumi91:

Kindly tell me about the military regime of Olusegun Obasanjo if you seem so knowledgeable about military regimes. What experience did he have prior to his re-emergence in 1999? Let's have a issue based debate, not some sentimental comments.

Obasanjo's democratic rise to presidency in 1999 from the prison walls was to placate Yorubas on the death of Abiola
Are you the only one that doesn't know this?
Is that the route you want us to take in 2015?
Sympathy presidency?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by mustymatic(m): 4:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
If you like, tell me that Buhari went only to
almajiri
school,
I will still vote for Buhari.
Tell me that Buhari never attended any school
before
Tell me Buhari was actually raised in the Bush by
wild
animals only
Tell me Buhari is actually an Alien from mars
I will vote for Buhari.
Tell me that Buhari is actually 100 years old
Tell me that Buhari has a AIDS, EBOLA, MARBUG,
HEPATISTIS,
CANCER OF ALL HIS ORGANS, KURU, AND MAD
COW
DISEASE
I Will still vote for Buhari.
Tell me Buhari jailed every single Nigerian that
was alive
during his tenure,
Tell me that during Buhari's tenure people had to
apply to
government and get approval before they urinate,
defecate, eat or drink,
Tell me that Nigeria would be better than
paradise in
4years if i vote Goodluck,
Last one?
If you like kill or kidnap Buhari
I will still Vote for his Picture...
Save your words, save your energy, save your
keyboards,
save your time, and leave me alone,

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by boujaye: 4:55pm On Feb 05, 2015
[size=14pt]Say NO to a TYRANT ![/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by tonychristopher: 4:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
I just cant Iaugh alone! A plane was about to crash and there were only four parachutes in the plane. Meanwhile there were five people in it.The first person was Cristiano Ronaldo and he
said: I'm the best footballer, I cant die now". So he took one parachute and left. The second who was Aliko Dangote said "I'm the richest man in Africa and I'm too young to die". So he took the second parachute and left. The third was Muhammadu Burahi and he said: " I'm the smartest head of state that never went to school in the world so I can't die now, my people still
need me". So he took one and left.
Then it was left with President Jonathan , and a little school girl. Then Jonathan said to the little girl " take the last one, I'll sacrifice my life for you". The little girl replied no need for that "there are two parachutes left. With shock and surprised Jonathan asked her: "how come?" The little girl replied: " Buhari took my school bag" thinking it was a parachute.
Like · · Share

7 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by iamfreshmontana(m): 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2015
this thread is 3weeks late..
don't know if seun did the right thing by locking,depriving us of the truth..we need transparency,nt just in the govt but also in anything we find ourselves doing..
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by ayodot(m): 5:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
I believe most of what Buhari did back then was out of passion to get the country out the mess it got itself. To recover as much funds from corrupt officials and public servant. he might have gone bit extreme and high handed about is approach but it is obvious he didn't do any for is own personal benefit or gratification, unlike what we have now.
One thing is sure, he is a man who hate corruption and stealing unlike some whose stealing can never be corruption, who is ready to take action to save the his nation. who is ready to recover all that as been stolen from his country. who is ready to lose face with the nigerian elite for the betterment of the general society.
One thing i can say is that he went after politicians, grab them by the legs, turn them upside down to check if they have the countrys' money left in their pockets. he was ready to go all out to recover by whatever means possible.
My take, the political call will never what such person in power, some that can be but is a nightmare to the nigerian political class and a blessing to the common man. We need that can of leader that can recover all our stolen fund from this present and past administration one way or the other.

Enrich ur MIND

7 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by billachusim(m): 5:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
Nice! Let's tackle more issues on @CadGallery on instagram.
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by HerexG(m): 5:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
uyplus:
GEJ is really that bad to allow Abba Moro still be a serving minister after defrauding jobless youths. He is really that bad to increase his feeding budget from N1bn in 2014 to N4bn in 2015. He is that bad to stay mute when hus wife was indicted in a $13m money laundering case with EFCC. He is really that bad to allow Dieziani use N10bn on private travels. He is really that bad to have spent $30bn on revamping power yet no giant achievements has been made. He is really that bad to have increased our external debts from $26bn to $70bn. He is really that bad to have spent N968bn as security budget yet nothing has been achieved against the fight for insurgency. He is really that bad to have stayed mute on the missing $20bn exposition by the whistle blower, Sanusi Lamido. He is really that bad to be budgeting N2bn to build VP residence while ordinary Nigerians are homeless. He is really that to be spending N10bn on 11 presidential jets, when he should be more prudent to have max of 2. He is really that bad to have allowed $15m to be swept under the carpet in the illegal arm deal at South Africa, where the names of the Nigerians involved are still shrouded in secrecy but the name of the Israeli was exposed. He is really that to have attended the Organization of Islamic Countries meeting when no president in Nigeria has ever attended such. He is really that bad to have stayed mute on the scam $470m cctv contract deal in FCT, yet no surveillance camera is working. He is really that bad to have said stealing is not corruption. He is really that bad to have said "how much did Jim Nwobodo stole, money that can't buy a Peugeot" (why would a sitting president commonise stealing of public funds, even if it's N1, it shouldn't be stolen because it's should be a call to service and not an avenue to redefine comfort). He is really that bad to have allowed to pension scam thief go with a little punishment. He is really that bad to have pardoned ex-convicts like Bode george, and Alameyghsia. He is really that bad to have not even find a major road like the east/west road which connconnects the south south region. He is really that bad to allow an overinflated budget of N117bn for the 1.5km 2nd Niger bridge yet Lagos state government built the 1.3km Lekki-Ikoyi bridge for N29bn. GEJ is really that bad to allow Tompolo own a warship, and Asari and Boyloaf issue war threat, yet they haven't been arrested. He is failure to have used his cohorts to aattempt sweeping the issue of the alleged missing N30tn under the carpet.

Nigerians want change. We demand accountability. We want a government that is ready to fight for the masses.

To hell with GEJ. If you fail to see that he is a failure, I will open your eyes to the obvious. He is a failure, even with 6years of oil boom he failed, now he wants to deceive us that he can perform in 4years in oil doom.

If gej has done what he was actually voted for four years ago, he wouldn't be campaigning now, his previous works while in office would have been his number one campaign portfolio. Well done bro for this epic breakdown, good intensions are useless when you fail to apply them, that's gej's case.

10 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by legendsilver(m): 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
scribble:
I dey fear Jonathan not Buhari

It's no wonder he treated Umaru Dikko so, the file on this man for human rights abuses and economic malfeasance is thick in washigton DC.

No wonder he canceled his trip.

I'm sure the Americans will not know why Nigerians are a seemingly suicidal people or perhaps their most learned psychologists have already classified this slave love for master type mentality.

How can I see educated people clamouring for a Buhari presidency because of a buzz word "change" coined by An American PR expert.
Nigerians like most black people including myself can be ignorant, sentimental and non analytical.

Nigerians justice must prevail. The NIGER DELTA must feel like they are a part of the Nigerian project by US rising up on Valentine or whenever not to scuttle the ambition of this man who is trying compared to some other losers us or our ancestors have witnessed before.

Pls be wise, be reasonable.

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by GoldHorse(m): 5:10pm On Feb 05, 2015
Pedagogue:
Seun,

Thanks for beaming the searchlight on Buhari. You are a great 'JOURNALIST'.

But Seun, we will really appreciate if you can also use your 'journalistic talents' to beam a searchlight on the present government.

Or you don't consider it necessary for Nigerians to REMEMBER that:

1. The Chibok girls are still missing
2. That a dollar to naira is now 210.
3. That our hospitals are under locks and keys.
4. That universities were closed down for 6 months
5. Polytechnics were shut down for 11 months
6. Colleges of education were shut down for several months.
7. Oil theft is at an all time high.
8. Boko haram? They kill people everyday...Just check youtube if you have the heart!
9. Our international reputation? Gone to the dogs...
10. Corruption? Don't even go there! Billions now have wings...After all, Stealing is not corruption!!!

Seun, my point is: we know that Buhari is not perfect. He ruled with force as Head of State. He was ruthess...Yes, we know that!
But how do you expect a man who ruled as HEAD OF STATE to have ruled? It's a no-brainer!

Happily, there's something fantastic about the epistles from the US Library, and that is: BUHARI IS NOT CORRUPT!!! And believe me, he is all we need right now...

Sai Buhari!!!

Cheers

You have said it all my brother!

There's a proverb that states that when trees fall on top of each.other it's the one on top you remove first! Remove or reduce corruption in Nigeria then you've solved 80% of Nigeria's problem.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Don't Want To See Nnamdi Kanu In These Clothes Again - Judge Tells DSS / Femi Fani-Kayode Is Dating Ezenwa Chika Nerita (Photos) / Senate President Akpabio Wears Tinubu Logo Cap To Plenary, Sparks Reaction (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.