Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,658 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

General Buhari's Military Government - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Buhari's Military Government (87249 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / PDP Salutes Buhari, Military For Capturing Sambisa Forest / Non-appointment Of Ministers Shows Buhari’s Military Hangover – Nwabueze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
tbaba1234:
Reading Buhari's biography makes me come to a number of conclusions.

1. Buhari genuinely had the interest of the country at heart but his methods were crude. That passion for Nigeria surrounded with brains like fashola and Osinbajo makes a good combination.

2. He had a zero tolerance for corruption but was not as flexible as he could have been. Not surprising since he was a military head of state.

Nigeria needs a corruption fighter and Buhari fits the bill. Fortunately, he.has to do it under a democracy now.

GEJ has no plans for corruption.

3. Buhari will put the fear of God on corrupt officials. Sometimes, that reputation matters.

4. Buhari is imperfect but offers more than Jonathan.
You spoke my mind...

5 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by tommykiwi(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
Wealthyone:

Where is your own CERTIFICATE? undecided
send me ur email address and I will send it to U...I be like ur leader Failbuhari wen no get Certificate?

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
beetruth:

Can people stop giving excuse of it being a military regime? Was he the only military head of state? How come some weren't as cruel and ....... Like him?
Can we read peoples personality from regime. U can put a leopard under diff shades but it will never change its spot and no matter how much you wash it, it won't fade off.

The time he incited almajiris to waste the lives of innocents youth corpers and hundreds of others was also under a military regime abi
Nigerians are so forgetful

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by pawesome(m): 6:30pm On Feb 05, 2015
This is like d case f d 90's wen Arsenal and Man Utd wia rullin England... nw wia dem de?...we in a more civilized world nw so wetin mk GMB tink say dsame strides dt he hs achieved in dos days wil b achievable nw?....we in d 20th century dude n nt dt ancient old days
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by maestroferddi: 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2015
naijadeyhia:
Babyosisi you are my sister by geographical location but even you are not cutting it for me. In the USA where you are can a tenth of what is happening here in your homeland be tolerated? Someone would have been forced out or would have resigned. You sit behind your computer and talk ill of a man who in less than 2yrs of his stint as head of state brought back sanity to a land that was on its way to crazydom. Much of what you are complaining about here is the norm where you are in the states. Are your phone calls not being monitored in the US? Do you have absolute freedom of everything? The truth is that where there is no law there is no offense but in Nigeria even with laws offenses abound without consequences and you say kudos to Jonathan?

I was 15 yrs old at the time Buhari took over power on 31st december 1983 and i must say it was a grand new year gift and i loved it because immediate drastic measures where put in place to ensure Nigeria quickly got back to her feet. In those days my father made sure we always watched anything related to current affairs on NTA channel 10 and i always kept up with happenings. Only the fearful and corrupt would dread the return of Buhari but those who with open minds experienced it before would welcome him with open arms.

Many who never experienced his regime can only speculate. Nigeria was in chaos until Buhari came and now we are back in Chaos. Mass looting, Mass killings, massive corruption in broad daylight with impunity and even the C in C does nothing about it because obviously he encourages it since he also has his own skeletons of corruption in his closet. Imagine apportioning $2b to the office of the first lady which does not even exist and is not recognized by our constitution and you feel all is well?

Believe me when i say that Jonathan is hustling hard to return so that he can either clean up records of corruption that would indite him or he wishes to cover them up for as long as possible while he continues doing what he knows best per looting the nations treasury. I for one detest wrongdoing and its likes and will personally stand in the forefront and take a bullet in protest of such an act especially when multitudes are suffering because of 1 persons inadequacies.

You have always come across to me as being intelligent babyosisi...prove me right.
Scaremongering and highfallutin assertions do not exactly sit well with me.

A lot of us were minors when Buhari held sway as HOS. Whilst Buhari's commitment could not be questioned, Nigeria of the twenty odd months he was in power was functionally a police state. The level of repression and censorship would probably not be experienced again in Nigeria.

I personally hold Buhari in high esteem as a distinguished Nigerian. However, I believe that voting him as President in 2015 would be stretching a gamble a tad too far. Buhari just does not cut it. The cost of gambling on him would be colossal and will likely decelerate our economic momentum.

I do believe that Buhari's challenge has opened a new vista of governance in Nigeria. The present administration would do well to initiate far-reaching reforms to correct/address the factors begging for resolution.

4 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Sunbellar: 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
babyosisi:

The time he incited almajiris to waste the lives of innocents youth corpers and hundreds of others was also under a military regime.
Nigerians are so forgetful
I wonder how people forget so soon.

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Omooba77: 6:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
babyosisi:

Buhari is also the man that started the unprecedented corruption of the police force with illegal detentions and harassment of citizens
Under Buhari the police could pretty much arrest and detain anyone they felt like
He gave them those powers
From that moment on the NPF has never been the same

Thank God you read between lines,after that NPF began to use this power illegally,pure corruption at its worst.

3 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by COOLDK(m): 6:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
.…
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2015
Trailblazer1:
An excerpt from Seun's post:

See the climax of the change buhari brought in 1983

Is this the change you want again?

In fairness to Buhari....we were broke because oil prices had crashed 2 years earlier. (and because Shagari and his friends had looted the treasury dry).

Even Shagari was talking about austerity in 1982.

We were so broke...that in 1986 we were on the verge of taking an IMF loan (which was rejected for good reasons).

4 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by ollyruffy: 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
These are the reasons why we want Buhari the more. He needs to come and clean up the mess in the present day government and the society at large.

3 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
DecisioNs has already been made,all we are interested about now is how to get to our various polling unit to cast our vote...No amount of story will change our mind from voting GMB|Pastor Osibanjo cool

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
[b]Sometimes, the wise thing to do is 'Observe from the sidelines'...from my position,one thing is clear..." Nigerians hate truth, not only do we hate it, we victimize,terrorize,castigate and are even willing to kill the bearer of such truth''..."We are the most unserious set of people when it comes unity,truth, what is right and the way forward"
You see...you may not like Buhari or trust APC or whatever,I don't trust them too,I mean what have I got to do with Politics anyway?? undecided . But I live here, grew up here, and so by default, Nigeria will always be my concern and also the concern of anyone who wants what's BEST for HER!!
You may not even want to vote because the kind of person you believe will take this country forward is not an aspirant...BUT Buhari may be just what Nigeria needs at such a time as this...
You may be a loyalist to whoever you will, however...
'WE CANNOT CONTINUE LIKE THIS', No 'NIGERIA CANNOT CONTINUE LIKE THIS', THERE MUST BE A CHANGE!!! sad undecided angry[/b]
*exits*

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by joespiceman(m): 6:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
too long...........summary pls
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Wealthyone: 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
tommykiwi:
send me ur email address and I will send it to U...I be like ur leader Failbuhari wen no get Certificate?

A 'certificate-less' Buhari....exudes finesse dan u the 'degree' holder cheesy and ur PhD drunken master from Otuoke undecided

4 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2015
mustymatic:
If you like, tell me that Buhari went only to
almajiri
school,
I will still vote for Buhari.
Tell me that Buhari never attended any school
before
Tell me Buhari was actually raised in the Bush by
wild
animals only
Tell me Buhari is actually an Alien from mars
I will vote for Buhari.
Tell me that Buhari is actually 100 years old
Tell me that Buhari has a AIDS, EBOLA, MARBUG,
HEPATISTIS,
CANCER OF ALL HIS ORGANS, KURU, AND MAD
COW
DISEASE
I Will still vote for Buhari.
Tell me Buhari jailed every single Nigerian that
was alive
during his tenure,
Tell me that during Buhari's tenure people had to
apply to
government and get approval before they urinate,
defecate, eat or drink,
Tell me that Nigeria would be better than
paradise in
4years if i vote Goodluck,
Last one?
If you like kill or kidnap Buhari
I will still Vote for his Picture...
Save your words, save your energy, save your
keyboards,
save your time, and leave me alone,

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 likes
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by tommykiwi(m): 7:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
Wealthyone:

A 'certificate-less' Buhari....exudes finesse dan u the 'degree' holder cheesy and ur PhD drunken master from Otuoke undecided
U av now confirm to me U r on drug,like ur fake Rtd General

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by inalegwu99(m): 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
the days of cluelessness will soon be over
sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by meforyou1(m): 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2015
Buhari is evil reincarnate. Seun, research more. What about the 54 suitcases of naira Buhari and his ADC and one Emir smuggled into the country, when he did his currency swap. What about the Hausa Fulani top govt official his army arrested and took to prison, but magical disappeared and later surfaced in Europe after 3 days. What about all those defenseless igbo men, women and children he slaughtered in cold blood during the Biafra crisis? What about all the billions of dollars that developed wings and flew away under his watch as petroleum minister, which fela sang about? How about him tarring the roads in the core north without reconstructing a single road in the south east when he was PTF chairman.
No need of further researching the SSC issue, because none exists. Perjury, forgery and lying under oath. The undisputed financier of boko haram
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by vjsmiles: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2015
Seun:
When I created this thread, I locked it because I didn't want the facts to be distorted by people paid to distort our opinions, whether they be TANoids/GEJites or APC Internet Warriors. However, I believe we've had enough time to digest the information. I'll unlock the thread shortly.
gooddaysmiley
is that a mistake or comprehensive vulgar

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by dre11(m): 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2015
naijadeyhia:

[b]Babyosisi you are my sister by geographical location but even you are not cutting it for me. In the USA where you are can a tenth of what is happening here in your homeland be tolerated? Someone would have been forced out or would have resigned. You sit behind your computer and talk ill of a man who in less than 2yrs of his stint as head of state brought back sanity to a land that was on its way to crazydom. Much of what you are complaining about here is the norm where you are in the states. Are your phone calls not being monitored in the US? Do you have absolute freedom of everything? The truth is that where there is no law there is no offense but in Nigeria even with laws offenses abound without consequences and you say kudos to Jonathan?

I was 15 yrs old at the time Buhari took over power on 31st december 1983 and i must say it was a grand new year gift and i loved it because immediate drastic measures where put in place to ensure Nigeria quickly got back to her feet. In those days my father made sure we always watched anything related to current affairs on NTA channel 10 and i always kept up with happenings. Only the fearful and corrupt would dread the return of Buhari but those who with open minds experienced it before would welcome him with open arms.

Many who never experienced his regime can only speculate. Nigeria was in chaos until Buhari came and now we are back in Chaos. Mass looting, Mass killings, massive corruption in broad daylight with impunity and even the C in C does nothing about it because obviously he encourages it since he also has his own skeletons of corruption in his closet. Imagine apportioning $2b to the office of the first lady which does not even exist and is not recognized by our constitution and you feel all is well?

Believe me when i say that Jonathan is hustling hard to return so that he can either clean up records of corruption that would indite him or he wishes to cover them up for as long as possible while he continues doing what he knows best per looting the nations treasury. I for one detest wrongdoing and its likes and will personally stand in the forefront and take a bullet in protest of such an act especially when multitudes are suffering because of 1 persons inadequacies.

You have always come across to me as being intelligent babyosisi...prove me right.[/b]

You make spoke my mind because I could still remember how my uncles still praise this man to the high heavens because of his way he came to rescue the sinking govt of shagari

My dad spoke something about the man humility when he was the head of state during the military era, because as of that time when he was the head of state he was working with NEPA as of that time and because he was head of state..... NEPA went to his house to install a new transformer in Daura
And just days after it was installed the one transformer servicing Daura had fault and the while town was in darkness...... Since NEPA don't have a replacement the town was in darkness for more two weeks and when Buhari got to town..... He asked why there is no light and he was briefed and the next day he was at NEPA office in Kaduna and ask them to come and carry the one lying idle in his house and serve his people

Which am sure if any politicians of today has such power and problem within their community.... They will look the other way just as some senator did ask the power holding PLC to give them a transformer which is enough to power more than 500 houses all alone

5 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
Well said

989900:
My Summary: Buhari is a severely strict disciplinarian, who in his sojourn to cleanse and rid the country of corruption and indiscipline, did go overboard at times with his methods. Though a dictator, you can't fault his commitment.

Must read link if you really crave an insight http://www.gamji.com/article6000/news7202.htm

P.S. It will be noteworthy to chip in that, a large chunk of the excesses of those days were enforced by then Brig. General Tunde Idiagbon.

While it will also be perspicacious to allude to our law enforcement agencies penchant for egoistic aggressiveness. And this was the '80s', the general level of civilization/respect/courtesy/ exhibited by humans then, can't be compared to what obtains now. (e.g.) the kind of spanking I received from my dad then . . . put mildly no one does that anymore.
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by smartigo: 7:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
Anyway, I won't deny the fact he was too strict but one thing counts: he will fight corruption which has eaten so deep into the fabrics of activities in this country.

Btw, if you are yet to collect your pvc, please do so. You can track it here: www.govote.ng/pickup/
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by FreeGlobe(f): 7:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
Seun:
When I created this thread, I locked it because I didn't want the facts to be distorted by people paid to distort our opinions, whether they be TANoids/GEJites or APC Internet Warriors. However, I believe we've had enough time to digest the information. I'll unlock the thread shortly.
APC internet warriors! apt. Seun go kill me with laugh grin grin grin grin
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by FreeGlobe(f): 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
smartigo:
Anyway, I won't deny the fact he was too strict but one thing counts: he will fight corruption which has eaten so deep into the fabrics of activities in this country.

Btw, if you are yet to collect your pvc, please do so. You can track it here: www.govote.ng/pickup/
if he couldn't end corruption in Nigeria as a dictator is it now that he will end it? APC logic upside down

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by kponkedenge(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
Do you have what it takes to become the next face of santa studio?

Follow the link below.

www.nairaland.com/2132165/face-santa-studio-beauty-pageant#30459501
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by danies1941(m): 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2015
babyosisi:

Buhari is also the man that started the unprecedented corruption of the police force with illegal detentions and harassment of citizens
Under Buhari the police could pretty much arrest and detain anyone they felt like
He gave them those powers
From that moment on the NPF has never been the same

Madam-u are saying that before December 31st 1983-the Nigerian Police operated without corruption and harassment of citizens? Haba-a simple visit to any library in Nigeria or a request to any newspaper house to see old copies of their newspapers-or better still -ask any Nigerian at least 39 years old who lived in Nigeria before 1983 if the Police suddenly became corrupt in 1983? It seems you have never heard of Inspector General Adewusi of the 2nd Republic. The corruption in the police force like other areas of Nigerian life started way back in the 1st Republic and got worse after the civil war-when Gowon began to look the other way and allowed civil servants to do as they liked-something which Muritala briefly corrected for about 6 months-before Obasanjo started the old ways again in 1976. Although in those days-people still hid their loot and took bribes under the table. Now a days-even a civil servant on an annual salary of N500,000 openly displays his 10 million naira 'Jeep' spends N20 million re-burying his late grand father who died 20 years ago.

Every single person detained under the Buhari government was detained under laws.

No one disappeared
No 'enemies' were assassinated

People accused of crimes were told what crimes they were accussed of and allowed their day in court.

Gani Fawehinmi-by all standards -the most outspoken critic of injustice in the history of Nigeria-took odds with the NBA at the time and openly supported Buhari. Buhari's Government is the ONLY government in the history of Nigeria that Gani Fawehinmi did not 'fight'.
When it comes to law and order, justice and the rule of law-I would rather listen to Gani Fawehinmi.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by smartigo: 7:46pm On Feb 05, 2015
FreeGlobe:

if he couldn't end corruption in Nigeria as a dictator is it now that he will end it? APC logic upside down
For how long did he rule this country? Just 2 years. How do you reconcile the rot in the system with the years he ruled? Buhari is anti-corruption personified. This country needs a strong person, not a weakling or sissy at all.

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by silvernus0: 7:47pm On Feb 05, 2015
Pedagogue:
Seun,

Thanks for beaming the searchlight on Buhari. You are a great 'JOURNALIST'.

But Seun, we will really appreciate if you can also use your 'journalistic talents' to beam a searchlight on the present government.

Or you don't consider it necessary for Nigerians to REMEMBER that:

1. The Chibok girls are still missing
2. That a dollar to naira is now 210.
3. That our hospitals are under locks and keys.
4. That universities were closed down for 6 months
5. Polytechnics were shut down for 11 months
6. Colleges of education were shut down for several months.
7. Oil theft is at an all time high.
8. Boko haram? They kill people everyday...Just check youtube if you have the heart!
9. Our international reputation? Gone to the dogs...
10. Corruption? Don't even go there! Billions now have wings...After all, Stealing is not corruption!!!

Seun, my point is: we know that Buhari is not perfect. He ruled with force as Head of State. He was ruthess...Yes, we know that!
But how do you expect a man who ruled as HEAD OF STATE to have ruled? It's a no-brainer!

Happily, there's something fantastic about the epistles from the US Library, and that is: BUHARI IS NOT CORRUPT!!! And believe me, he is all we need right now...

Sai Buhari!!!

Cheers

But besides all Nigeria is rated 1st and as best growing economy in africa

My fear is if huhari enters to power he will be subject to pple who supported him like tinubu,puting nigeria back to the days when obj detacted to jonathan,

I think if jonathan wins this election without the help of any god father like he is doing now, i think he will do well to save his name in his last tenure

undecided undecided
>
.>>

1 Like

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by godoluwa(m): 8:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
@pedagogue, pls hw many years does it take America to capture osama? whats d level of damages osama av done to America & American b4 he was captured? pls, lets wise up cos insurgency is nt a problem dat could be end within short period of time. sentiments apart, Jonathan failed administration was like a house built on shaky foundation laid by past leaders(Buhari was inclusive)
Re: General Buhari's Military Government by ogb5(m): 8:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
I was in secondary when Buhari overthrew Shagari. In summary I will never wish any person like Buhari to ever come near the sit of power in Nigeria again.

Nigerians thought they were suffering under the last year of Shagari's rule, they only knew the true meaning of suffering under Buhari.

1. For starters he changed the colour of the currency forcing everyone to go to the bank within 3 days to change their money. At the bank, you deposit your money and money is rationed to you. The bank simply refused to give people their money, so folks had money in the bank but can not collect it and were starving.
2. Buhari brought price control, he fixed the price of essential commodities below the cost price, meaning all traders will have to sell at a loss. Traders refused to sell at a loss and locked their shops in the day only sneaking out at night to sell to those willing to buy at a fair price. Buhari responded by using soldiers to break up people's shops and selling private goods below the cost price. Many people went out of business, resulting in long queues and starvation.

3. Buhari stopped the importation of both finished goods and essential raw materials needed by industries, factories had to either close down or seriously downsize, the effect was massive unemployment and long queues for essential commodities, things like bread, vegetable oil, salt, soap, sugar e.t.c People stayed on quees morning till night for several days without being able to buy essential commodities. Some people fainted on the queues. Many people committed suicide from being unable to provide for their families. Many families died from eating hurriedly prepared cassava due to hunger. While in 1980 we were laughing at Ethiopia due to the famine ravaging them, in 1984 we started starving, not because of famine but because Buhari's stupid economic policies meant starvation for the nation.

4. Buhari used soldiers to terrorize civilians, people were routinely flogged on the street, soldiers even entered peoples homes every weekend to flog them all in the name of forcing them to do environmental sanitation every weekend, The little economic activity that was not killed by Buhari's tyrannical economic policies were further damaged by a reduced work week forced on the nation by the mandatory Sanitation days every weekend.

5. in today's Nigeria, if you are hard working you will be able to feed yourself even if you don't become rich, during buhari's regime, food was a luxury many could not afford no matter how hard working they were, it was a regime of brutality, retrenchment and gloom. And the guy did not give a damn if everyone dies from starvation.

6. To get a fair idea of the economic situation was under Buhari, think of what happened in Zimbabwe a few years back, shops were without supplies to sell, the few supplies available became very expensive. the difference is that Zimbabwe's condition was largely due to sanctions imposed on them by western nations, in Nigeria's case it was due to sanctions imposed on Nigerians by Buhari and to make matters worse, Buhari was using soldiers to flog starving Nigerians even on bread queues, such a heartless man.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Military Government by FATM: 8:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
The old man may not be a perfect man but i tell you we need such a man now in Nigeria . I say to to myself , the 6years wasted with Jonathan its enough, let me experiment with the next 4 years with another but not giving Jonathan 10 good years to be wasted. What he did not achieve in the past 6yrs he can't achieve in the next 4yrs- my opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Don't Want To See Nnamdi Kanu In These Clothes Again - Judge Tells DSS / Femi Fani-Kayode Is Dating Ezenwa Chika Nerita (Photos) / Senate President Akpabio Wears Tinubu Logo Cap To Plenary, Sparks Reaction (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.