Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15788 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by smooooooth: 10:41am On Jan 05, 2009
the thing no fit us jare, africans, xpecially nigerians are animals

i have been looking at pple with the helmet stuff, its like seeing a

monkey on face cap. and most of them dnt wear it sef, they either

hold it, or just suspend it like that bush girl suspended her crown when

she won the MBGN 2008. i no blame them sha,cos when u think of all the

diff disease wey nigerians dey carry this is just anoda means for ritualist and

gbomogbomo to exploit.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by redsun(m): 10:46am On Jan 05, 2009
U think it is the end,but it is just a beginning.The beginning of african solutions,opportunities,sacrifices and adventures,while the so-called civilized world is reaching its limit,hurrying to no-where.

The race is endless.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 05, 2009
Read thru most of the arguements and methinks they are valid. But 95% of most motor bike accident victims that land on their heads do not survive so that explains the kind of injuries you get to see at the hospitals as a result of these fatalities(broken bones, knee caps etc).
However, I have mixed feelings because the taxi cycles are a necessary evil but I think they should be regulated. As far as I'm concerned, they are too much and too carefree. embarassed embarassed
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by scottN(m): 11:27am On Jan 05, 2009
I see this as a choice between Health and Safety! I wonder which one of them is more relevant considering the fact that lack of either can lead to loss of life?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by kemisuga(f): 11:45am On Jan 05, 2009
So what will happen to a woman, that is just coming out of a Saloon, with well set hair and take bike to her house, If the helmet scattered her well set hair, wont her hubby think she is coming from a another man's house, after all the jiggy jiggy grin grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by scottN(m): 11:53am On Jan 05, 2009
kemisuga:

So what will happen to a woman, that is just coming out of a Saloon, with well set hair and take bike to her house, If the helmet scattered her well set hair, wont her hubby think she is coming from a another man's house, after all the jiggy jiggy grin grin
It is to her advantage cos the hubby will sit up grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by elfeecee(m): 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2009
You need to see Okada riders in lagos wearing Julius Berger or Construction workers helmet, the whole thing is ludicrous, those helmets cant be effective in an automobile accident, they are only for construction and site accident, also will the rider have different helmets for different passengers or will every passenger share one unwashed helmet all year long and in the process share the lice, dandruffs, ringworms and other transferrable head infections.

FRSC and the Federal Government should look for alternative ways to ease the transportation problem in Nigeria, rather than placing more expenses on the poor peasant bike rider who often times has to deliver some amount of money to the original bike owner, who will bear the brunt of between 5 - 9 thousand Naira for the helmet? The hired rider or the bike owner?

I have a vision of every average Nigerian walking around with bumps, rashes, ringworms and lice on their heads before december if this policy is not modified somewhat.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by mamaorga(f): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2009
HE  HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE
HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO

I LOVE MY NAIJA PPLE, I TRUST UNA, ARGUEMENT AND INSULTS DON START BE THAT
WE SHD LEARN TO APPLAUD CERTAIN GOOD DECISIONS TAKEN OR MADE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PEOPLE
THIS IS NO BIG DEAL LET US EMBRACE IT AND PUT IT INTO PRACTISE,
ONE LOVE TO ALL MY 9JA PPLE,
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2009
kemisuga:

That excuse isn't valid!

Is it only Nigerians that style their hair?
Christ, Nigerians prefer to create reasons not to comply with any safety laws, rather than comply.
For starters, she doesn't have to use a taxi bike - she can either walk, or take a regular taxi / bus.
It's like refusing to wear a seat belt in a plane or automobile, for the daft reason, "it'll crease my designer dress."

What's more important - well groomed hair, or a broken head?
If you don't want to be safe on a taxi bike, then don't take a taxi bike!!! Gosh, what's so hard to understand about that??

I've heard it all on here:

1) My head will end up in a pot
2) I'll contract germs from a shared helmet (a valid reason solved by buying your own helmet, or not taking a taxi bike)
3) Kidnapping / ritualistic
4) "My hair will get messy" - the craziest reason so far, second only to the superstitious ones.
5) The FRSC is using the helmet rule to make money

No wonder our country isn't moving forward - forget about comparing Nigeria to Europe / The Americas, compare Nigeria to neighbouring Ghana, and a lot of other African countries, and you'll see we're being left behind.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by giantstep(m): 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2009
i hail everybody oh, in fact i believe in the progressive govt of Fashola, and the " obamaChange" bug sweeping from america via lagos.but my SUGGESTION IS THIS- LAGOS STATE(and FRSC) GOVT. SHOULD PROVIDE ADEQUATELY  FOR ANY NEW LAWS-?
WHY NOT SELL HELMENTS AT A SUBSIDIZED RATE TO OKADA ASSOCIATIONS SINCE BUYING IN BULK WILL REDUCE COST FROM THE GOVT ANGLE?
WHY NOT CREATE WORKABLE ALTERNATIVES FOR THE STREET AND DISPLACED TRADERS?
WHY NOT HAVE A SUGGESTION BOX FORUM ON THE MEDIA FOR LAGOSIANS TO SPIT IT OUT.
in fact my Whys are getting many , but the summary is this
"whats the use of having muscles when your life hangs by a thred"?
why make policies and not attach provisions that will help aleviate suffering and also simultaneouly generating  income for the government?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2009
^^^ Your points are valid, but has anyone actually given a chance for any of the above to be implemented?
Or has anyone actually looked to see if indeed any of the above have been implemented?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bgees(m): 1:22pm On Jan 05, 2009
its not the right thing to do. 99% of okada men were not offically trained. they are more or less like animals. they should be banned. enough nigerian limbs and heafs have been crushed already.

that said, i remember the first time the 'helmet idea ' was introduced in lagos, there was a case of the helmet being used for money rituals and juju.

in better countries , motorclyes are never means of public transport. and an helmet is not a thing to be shared with every body.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 2:00pm On Jan 05, 2009
Oh, dem dey train Okada men again? I don die!!! you learn how to ride bike here just like its riden elsewhere too, or do they ride bike upside down elsewhere?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2009
^^^ No, they're not ridden upside down anywhere else.

But riders actually pass a test to obtain a driver's license.
Can the same be said about Nigeria?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2009
Siena:

^^^ No, they're not ridden upside down anywhere else.

But riders actually pass a test to obtain a driver's license.
Can the same be said about Nigeria?

really? but i know someone in Ohio who owns a bike and rides it, but she didn't go to any driving school to learn it, she was taught by her step mother, she's been riding for 11 years now, where does this put her? Mind you, No Driving license
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 05, 2009
^^^ Another thing Nigerians are fond of doing - looking at the ills of other countries!

We're talking about Nigeria here - don't we have minds of our own?
So because someone in another country decides to break the law, we must do the same?

So, you choose to adopt a wrong from another country, you get caught.
In your defence, you'll tell the judge "but I know someone in Ohio that drives / rides without a license!"

Come on! Get a grip for Pete's sake!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by stave9ja(m): 3:23pm On Jan 05, 2009
@Siena

good post bro

55% others
you are the ones who believe in a better tomorrow that this nation can be better

45% others
you are the ones that make the loudest noise, you fight for political positions and you are so negative. you are the ones that believe nigeria should remaun in a jungle, you enjoy backwardness, lawlessness, and yet you complain and compare nigeria to US or UK
na so dem dey do dia. at least some of us have travelled and we can see that this laws work and can work here too.

funny when nigerians are in uk they comply, but when they come home the revolt
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tkb417(m): 4:06pm On Jan 05, 2009
HE  HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE
HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO

I LOVE MY NAIJA people, I TRUST UNA, ARGUEMENT AND INSULTS DON START BE THAT
WE should LEARN TO APPLAUD CERTAIN GOOD DECISIONS TAKEN OR MADE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PEOPLE
THIS IS NO BIG DEAL LET US EMBRACE IT AND PUT IT INTO PRACTISE,
ONE LOVE TO ALL MY Nigeria people,

ritualists are singing bravo!!!
avenue to propagate massive kidnapping and killing don open

nice policy, lets see how many people get missing before they stop grin grin

maybe they should put seat belts in the BRT buses too
shebi all na for safety? grin Nigeria and comedy

i say give us light, den dey sell helmet. fck all of them
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by shollyaj(m): 4:30pm On Jan 05, 2009
Nice one
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Kaestro(m): 6:00pm On Jan 05, 2009
brb
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Omolola1(f): 6:19pm On Jan 05, 2009
My own is that, i cannot put on that helmet on my head, or even buy a personal one, it costs about 5k, instead of wasting 5,000 for one stupid helmet i would rather buy something tangible.

I can bet that this their helmet policy thing would die down in few months time, very soon the okada riders and passengers would go back to their old ways.
Besides i dont see what the helmet is protecting because most injuries on okada are either on the knee, leg or hands. Rarely would u see an accident on okada that affects the head. The helmets this okada riders are wearing is mainly for engineers.

Lagos was kind of grin today with the helmet thing.

I just hope that they won't say the okada people on campus (in my school) wear helmets too, it would just kill me since sch is resuming nextweek and okada is our only means of transportation in school.

Besides that, i dont think i can enter okada.

Advise: If you can't wear other people's helmet, buy your own if you can afford it or don't bother to enter okada at all! wink
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by redsun(m): 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2009
It could be nerve wrecking sitting in staff mess at work with some oyinbos around watching bbc or sky news on tv,all i do in mind my is praying they don't show african miseries and backwardness or in the interludes,life-aid and charity adverts showing war ravaged and hungry children, as if we are sub-humans

We are busy talking about simple safety guidelines on how to USE a bike for public transportations,not how to make or modify bikes for pleasure and personal uses in the 21st century world.

The hard part has been done for us by the inventors,all we need to do is copy and modify.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by KollyJay(m): 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2009
Well, guys,  I use one today and to be sincere, I don't think that stuff is good enough to protect one if accident happen.

Though it was very new and i felt comfortable wearing it.

Majority of Helmets I saw today re meant for the engineers for construction works and the like, cos the thing just stay on top of my head

leaving open my both ears and all that.

Meanwhile, I saw another biker with a nice one that covers all his head to the ear. Good looking and seems to be more protective than the

one that looks like tantalizer's food plate that stay right on top of your head.

Anyhow sah,  I pray we all get comfortable to own a car,

But in the mean time, if u cant share one, buy your own or STAY off a bike.

And just incase you want to order your Helmet from Yankee or something,  I don do a google search for you, lol,

http://www.helmetsetc.com/, http://www.helmetshop.com/, U can buy the N-103 Flip-Up, that looks more protective but u will have to

part with $300!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lol,

Nigeria with our transportation problem,  God will save us.

Happy New Year guys,

Jay
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by igwe11(m): 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2009
@KollyJay
well said brother, I look forward to the day smone will come up here to sell the original helment to us.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Grizzly(m): 2:56am On Jan 06, 2009
look,
some of the helmets i've seen are FANCY GUILLOTINES
Fall with them and ur head is gone
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 4:31am On Jan 06, 2009
Siena:

^^^ Another thing Nigerians are fond of doing - looking at the ills of other countries!

We're talking about Nigeria here - don't we have minds of our own?
So because someone in another country decides to break the law, we must do the same?

So, you choose to adopt a wrong from another country, you get caught.
In your defence, you'll tell the judge "but I know someone in Ohio that drives / rides without a license!"

Come on! Get a grip for Pete's sake!
Stop that my friend, i didn't say she drives with no license or breaks the law, she doesn't drive a car and never told me it was a crime to ride on bike without taining from the govt as you said about the case of okada people in nigeria needing training from the govt first before riding bikes here in naija, stop that please,
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 4:50am On Jan 06, 2009
^^^ I'd have thought it was pretty obvious that any engine-propelled bike would require a license to operate.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tkb417(m): 8:13am On Jan 06, 2009
look,
some of the helmets i've seen are FANCY GUILLOTINES
Fall with them and ur head is gone
right on spot!!!

Helmet for everybody?
someone even said commuters should buy personal helmets grin grin grin grin
crazy. how will u look carrying helmets up and down? entering banks, churches, mosques, ur babes house, parties, hospitals et al
im sure u guys will start looking like zombie!!!
no matter how laudable the thing sounds, the lopsided nature of our way of doing things in this country (9ja factor), will make a mincemeat of this jagbajantis shit. fall off with that thing, and be rest assured of a spinal break
fall off without that thing and ur chances of sustaining only bruises with no major injuries are highers when when u wear those julius berger stuffs.

off i go jare, rubbish
we want light, not helmet!!!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 8:32am On Jan 06, 2009
Bottom line, It's not govt who should be training okada riders on how to ride bikes, the best they can do is to go to a driving school, but then how do you relate driving a 4 wheel automobiles with a 2 week automobile on a common road
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by angelina08(f): 9:46am On Jan 06, 2009
Helmet rule in Lagos State can help in monitoring Okada's. In Lagos State now Okada riders are involve in robbing.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 06, 2009
Oh well.

Nigerians will always find an excuse not to comply.
I've heard all reasons not to do so - ranging from the outlandish, to the unreasonable.
So, don't wear a helmet, and use a taxi bike.

Some folk are actually saying the chances of injury, wearing a proper helmet are greater than having heads exposed, and being thrown off a bike.
Where do such statistics come from?
I take it the research done worldwide into head reduction injury / death from head injury is all a sham, and those that say you're more likely to be killed if a proper helmet is worn are correct?

Personally, I couldn't care less, it's your head, not mine.
I'm not using a taxi bike.

I give up!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Suntemi(m): 11:06am On Jan 06, 2009
I can't help but keep laughing. You guyz need to see comedy shows happening on Lagos road all in the name of Helment Policy.

Yesterday a man had to put Newspaper on his head before wearing a helment.

Sorry I forgot to wish u guyz a Happy new year first not my fault really, I was carried away with thi Helment issue. So many so many drama to come.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC / 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It / Price Of Getting A Driver's License In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.