Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,607 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner (25940 Views)

If You're Studying Any Of These Courses You Aren't In School - NUC / Courses You Should Not Study If You cannot hustle / 10 Courses You Are Likely To Find Geniuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by tdayof(m): 9:48am On May 22, 2016
Skoopy:
For every graduate of engineering, you must have gone through most of the courses I will list below, if not all. This courses are so important that it is near impossible to graduate without having a fair knowledge of them.

1) Thermodynamics : this is the study of heat and temperature in relation to energy and work. The desire to improve on the efficiency of steam engines lead to the development of this course. Terms such as enthalpy, entropy, energy and pressure will be used often in the said course. Thermodynamics have four basic laws, but this cannot be handled here.

2)FLUID MECHANICS : This has to do with the study of fluids (liquids and gases), it is divided broadly into two, FLUID STATICS and FLUID DYNAMICS. With the former taking care of fluids with no sheer stress( ie fluids at rest) and the latter handling fluids in motion. Base on flow, we have compressible and in compressible fluid whose difference lie in their rate of flow with density change. Two most common but very important theories include those of newton's on viscosity and archimedes on floatation. Applications include in aviation sector, shipping / maritime, refineries, production of breweries etc.

3) CALCULUS / ADVANCE CALCULUS : This is an extension of further mathematics, has topics like polynomial, matrices and determinant, integration and differentiation and the most feared of virtually all engineering students Laplace transformation. The application of which cannot be under -estimated.

4) DESIGN/ STRUCTURAL DESIGN/ EQUIPMENT DESIGN/ PROCESS CONTROL.

5) TECHNICAL / ENGINEERING DRAWING. Before any construction/ fabrication work is carried out, it most be properly represented on paper with dimensions.

All engineers on naira land, how many of this courses did you pass through? None engineers who love the profession are also welcome.

Thermodynamics
Aero propulsion
Aero dynamics
physics
calculus
Introduction to Gas Dynamics
Aircraft and Spacecraft Structures
Aircraft Dynamics and Control
Introduction to Solid Modeling and CAD etccc
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Fallasy(m): 9:53am On May 22, 2016
Hippopotamus
RexioKlasik:
Thermo O Thermo!
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by mytym(m): 9:59am On May 22, 2016
sergiolefty:

really......hope u still remember dr ajenikoko....dah man do me bad for in course

Ajee is known by all...
How is electrode and ojo.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Nobody: 10:00am On May 22, 2016
...and you forgot to add the basic....MATHEMATICS. Different kinds and sorts!

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by pkang: 10:01am On May 22, 2016
olaitoro:

pls, hope is not Dr. Onwuka of CIE

No not FUTO. Just love the Uni.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Nobody: 10:04am On May 22, 2016
I rep chemical engineering #UNIUYO

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by omonighoblessing(f): 10:17am On May 22, 2016
Skoopy:

How do you see Laplace transformation?
what of thevelyn's theory..,electromagnetic field theory.
really baffles me how I managed to scale through circuit theory without a single carry over in That course yet I can hardly explain it to someone else ......#rep elect/elect engr.

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by shumuel(m): 10:21am On May 22, 2016
Skoopy:
For every graduate of engineering, you must have gone through most of the courses I will list below, if not all. This courses are so important that it is near impossible to graduate without having a fair knowledge of them.

1) Thermodynamics : this is the study of heat and temperature in relation to energy and work. The desire to improve on the efficiency of steam engines lead to the development of this course. Terms such as enthalpy, entropy, energy and pressure will be used often in the said course. Thermodynamics have four basic laws, but this cannot be handled here.

2)FLUID MECHANICS : This has to do with the study of fluids (liquids and gases), it is divided broadly into two, FLUID STATICS and FLUID DYNAMICS. With the former taking care of fluids with no sheer stress( ie fluids at rest) and the latter handling fluids in motion. Base on flow, we have compressible and in compressible fluid whose difference lie in their rate of flow with density change. Two most common but very important theories include those of newton's on viscosity and archimedes on floatation. Applications include in aviation sector, shipping / maritime, refineries, production of breweries etc.

3) CALCULUS / ADVANCE CALCULUS : This is an extension of further mathematics, has topics like polynomial, matrices and determinant, integration and differentiation and the most feared of virtually all engineering students Laplace transformation. The application of which cannot be under -estimated.

4) DESIGN/ STRUCTURAL DESIGN/ EQUIPMENT DESIGN/ PROCESS CONTROL.

5) TECHNICAL / ENGINEERING DRAWING. Before any construction/ fabrication work is carried out, it most be properly represented on paper with dimensions.

All engineers on naira land, how many of this courses did you pass through? None engineers who love the profession are also welcome.

Yeap, 1, 3, 4, 5,, never offered No 2, i guess thats for courses like Petrol chemical, Chemical, Mechanical Engineering e.t.c, and not for Elect/Elect like us/Me grin
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by iPopAlomo(m): 10:27am On May 22, 2016
Lol... easy peasy courses... cut through it like a hot knife on butter... B)
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by kaycexx(m): 10:37am On May 22, 2016
a) Engine Drawing b) Instrumentation, Measurement and Control c) Fluid Mechanics d) Introduction to Engineering Materials e) Introduction to Electrical and Electronics Engineering f) Workshop Practice g) Machine Design i) Entrepreneurship j) Technical report writing k) Plant Design l) Ordinary Differential Equation (ODi Egwu) m) Engineering Thermodynamic (Thermo Demonic) n) Engineering Analysis o) Industrial Studies p) Engineering Law and Management q) Strength of Material
.....rep FUTO cool

SHED TEARS....
AND THAT OKPOLO EYE WOMAN IS MAKING THINGS DIFFICULT FEMALE VERSION OF ANTENNA.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by legendte(m): 10:42am On May 22, 2016
a) Engine Drawing b) Instrumentation, Measurement and Control c) Fluid Mechanics d) Introduction to Engineering Materials e) Introduction to Electrical and Electronics Engineering f) Workshop Practice g) Machine Design i) Entrepreneurship j) Technical report writing k) Plant Design l) Ordinary Differential Equation (ODi Egwu) m) Engineering Thermodynamic (Thermo Demonic) n) Engineering Analysis o) Industrial Studies p) Engineering Law and Management q) Strength of Material
.....rep FUTO cool
industrial and Production Engineering right? FUTO is the best school in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Leke001: 10:42am On May 22, 2016
you just reminded me of those good old jacking days...my Thermo lecturer would go on for over 5 hours...hmmn!
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Oyehomie(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2016
I passed through all...nd thermo was ma best then
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Nobody: 10:56am On May 22, 2016
All of them o smiley
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Realrex(m): 11:05am On May 22, 2016
u people talk as though it's only engineering students that offers laplase transform, we surveyors do am pass oh presently we just finished wronskian equation including laplase i go soon enter partial integration..........

i rep the one and only university in Nigeria, University of Nigeria Nsukka(UNN)

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by gbemoh: 11:19am On May 22, 2016
Thermo seems more practical, gets harder tho...but practical....machine design seemed to be the hardest but I overcame it 'B'. Exam was open book, and failure was major.
School tho...!!
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by uzo4real(m): 11:38am On May 22, 2016
Advanced Calculus really cracked me up. Glad its all in the past though.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by CaptainEColeJnr: 11:38am On May 22, 2016
hey guys!
am an engineering aspirant for university of Benin ... I will be back later this year when I finally gain admission by God's grace... watchout!

Also note:I might also request for examples of textbooks I can buy for thermodynamics,fluid mechanics,calculus,engineering mathematics etc.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by dejavski(m): 11:38am On May 22, 2016
mamaafrik:
i can neva forget that name"NAVIER STOKE EQUATION" in fluid mechanics.wait,i'm i the only one who did that "theory of elasticity course?",they should have included that course in Quran,lotta alif ba ta.

Navier stokes was one of my favourite equations in fluid mechanics.
Theory of elasticity is a must-do course for you to graduate in Mechanical Engineering.
Plasticity, stress strain, there's a topic that has to do with elasticity in strength of materials- buckling(that equation was one of a kind)
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by dejavski(m): 11:41am On May 22, 2016
Tellemall:

When did the Runge Kutta become something deadly? That is one of the best parts of mathematics. Likewise the Laplace transformation.

Runge kutta is a topic in Numerical methods in 400l advanced engineering mathematics(GEG 401) it's quite tedious and very tricky.
Goons from unilag will attest to this
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by engrjacuzzi: 11:47am On May 22, 2016
strength of materials.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Cutehector(m): 11:52am On May 22, 2016
If u knw all these courses don hepp u since, raise up ur hand grin
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by mroyato(m): 11:53am On May 22, 2016
Numerical methods
Solve x' = f(t,y); X(t)= Y(t0) using any of these
- Runge Kutta 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Order
- Laplace and Fourier transform
- Double Integration
- Differential Equations
- Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

-Strength of materials, Theory of Machines, Thermodynamics, Production Engineering, theory of vibration, control system (PID controllers), design engineering, etc

1 Like

Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by spencekat(m): 12:00pm On May 22, 2016
a) Engine Drawing
b) Instrumentation, Measurement and Control
c) Fluid Mechanics
d) Introduction to Engineering Materials
e) Introduction to Electrical and Electronics Engineering
f) Workshop Practice
g) Machine Design
i) Entrepreneurship
j) Technical report writing
k) Plant Design
l) Ordinary Differential Equation (ODi Egwu)
m) Engineering Thermodynamic (Thermo Demonic)
n) Engineering Analysis
o) Industrial Studies
p) Engineering Law and Management
q) Strength of Material

.....rep FUTO cool
ODE was a terror to many 200L SEET students those days.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by mroyato(m): 12:01pm On May 22, 2016
dejavski:

Runge kutta is a topic in Numerical methods in 400l advanced engineering mathematics(GEG 401) it's quite tedious and very tricky.
Goons from unilag will attest to this

Omo numerical methods nobi moimoi for Akoka oo
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by dejavski(m): 12:05pm On May 22, 2016
mroyato:

Omo numerical methods nobi moimoi for Akoka oo

N headache course grin thing fit make person kolo
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by olujay75(m): 12:09pm On May 22, 2016
I did them all as an Engineer
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by cutelover19(m): 12:10pm On May 22, 2016
Mystery007:
Nice. Also a student of futminna and same department. Though am still in school. What year did you Grad?
yea, nice to know. I'm in my final semester. see you on Monday. you can reach me on 07064749709
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Engrobiorah(m): 12:20pm On May 22, 2016
Laplace Transform of Periodic Functions
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 22, 2016
You did not mention mechanics of machine, strength of materials, metallurgy, electromechanical energy conversion devices and machines, measurement and instrumentation, mechanical vibrations, heat and mass transfer, mechanics of metal forming, automated control system, refrigeration and air conditioning, automated transmission and power trains and energy studies and power generation plant. Am proud to be a mechanical engineer. I rep LAUTECH. Tough school.
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by Engrobiorah(m): 12:23pm On May 22, 2016
olujay75:
I did them all as an Engineer
Sure
Re: Courses You Must Go Through As An Enginner by andy24(m): 12:24pm On May 22, 2016
Theory of Structures. I rep Mouau #Civil coolEngineer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIZIK Reacts After Facebook User Advertised Its Admission Slots For Sale / Graduates Of Sociology, Where Are You Working Now? / How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.