Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,596 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893478 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by favoredgal: 4:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
Gratefulaheart:
pls what extra accessories should i get for my medela? Which of the parts wear out quickly?

Membrane, tubing and valve
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by stinux(f): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Thanks @ lollybee, is there any reason for advising against electric breast pump. Pls share for the good of everyone.

Thanks mimibe and others for your input.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by favoredgal: 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2015
lollyberry:
[b]Hello fello NLers, pls has anyone bought electric breast pump from the USA? If yes, does it work well with nigeria electricity. Pla mamas in rhe house, your urgent response is needed to make a decision. Thanks as always./b]

my dear sister

i wud advise u not to use any electric breast pump, kindly get a manual breast pump from avent . please oooooo

Manual ke? That na better suffer head!!!!!

I swear by medela pump in style esp if you plan to have other children or do exclusive. My friends used to be amazed at the quantity I pump in 5 mins. It's expensive but WORTH EVERY peNny. It also can be battery operated

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bisilola: 5:19pm On Jun 20, 2015
Gaggle I got a neck breaking price too so I have shifted back to Houston.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by xyzabcuo: 5:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
@jibbie2015: please use dr fahbogun. You may just increase your budget a bit as the bils are a bit higher than mihs.. i applied with mihs but was refused for no apparent reason. Some think it's because there was no direct letter from the obgyn except the letter of appointment with the financial counsellor. others think because the cost is low... dunno
I can't say for sure so you can use Dr ff... good luck!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Jibbie2015: 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
xyzabcuo:
@jibbie2015: please use dr fahbogun. You may just increase your budget a bit as the bils are a bit higher than mihs.. i applied with mihs but was refused for no apparent reason. Some think it's because there was no direct letter from the obgyn except the letter of appointment with the financial counsellor. others think because the cost is low... dunno
I can't say for sure so you can use Dr ff... good luck!

@xyzabcuo thank you so much. Just another quick question pls.. In filling application form the form i ve chosen the b2 (medical and tourism) form for myself and the b1/b2 form for my husband (business and tourism). How then do they link as we want to go for the interview together. Thanks a mil. So i submit separately or are we to fill just one single form?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by teeboztb: 8:41pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hi guys, Its amazing how much content i have to read on this forum every time i return. The Lord blessed us with the gift of a daughter last week at the Northside Hospital, Atlanta. Mother and baby are doing great. Thanks to all you guys for your invaluable contribution. Special shoutout to Fayemsbaba (My people no gree my wife go phoenix on her own so we had to settle for GA).
So, i imagine i am officially a veteran grin.
I wish all mothers safe travels and delivery.
cheers all

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mamacajah: 9:08pm On Jun 20, 2015
Jibbie2015:

@xyzabcuo thank you so much. Just another quick question pls.. In filling application form the form i ve chosen the b2 (medical and tourism) form for myself and the b1/b2 form for my husband (business and tourism). How then do they link as we want to go for the interview together. Thanks a mil. So i submit separately or are we to fill just one single form?

When applying as a couple, it is advisable you use the same type of application. As you are going for childbirth, you both should fill medical and tourism(b2).

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Xenadarl: 10:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
stinux:
Hello fello NLers, pls has anyone bought electric breast pump from the USA? If yes, does it work well with nigeria electricity. Pla mamas in rhe house, your urgent response is needed to make a decision. Thanks as always.

Hi I bought a Philips a vent electric breast pump in the US via amazon, I ve been using it here in Naija without qualms didn't need a step down. Just connected it to an extension cause our socket shape here is different from the US. It works just fine no issues.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Xenadarl: 10:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
My advice as per breast pump would be to buy either a tommee tippie or avent. The medela and other types are not easily seen in Naija in case u need to replace bottles or other parts.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by stinux(f): 12:05am On Jun 21, 2015
Xenadarl:

Thank you.

Hi I bought a Philips a vent electric breast pump in the US via amazon, I ve been using it here in Naija without qualms didn't need a step down. Just connected it to an extension cause our socket shape here is different from the US. It works just fine no issues.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by isysleek: 12:58am On Jun 21, 2015
Thanks. Just sent u a PM. Pls respond.

FinanceFitness:
Yes, we all got this bill separately. The good thing is you can settle it online with your card. They are the company responsible for all the blood tests carried out on you at the hospital. Your blood samples must have been taken when you got there, they would have taken samples for your baby too.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 2:30am On Jun 21, 2015
The membrane wears out pretty quickly, so buy more, they're sold in packs of 6, buy an extra pack.

Don't bother buying the hands free strap, if you have an old bra, just cut out the nipple area and pass the valve through to help you pump without hands.

Gratefulaheart:
what battery do you use dear? And how long does it last? Plus what extra accessories are necessary to buy for a medela double electric?

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by xyzabcuo: 7:15am On Jun 21, 2015
@shelly:nice improvisation. @jibbie:guess your question is well answered. U can use b2 for urself and hubby. I don't think it matters anyway since the ds160 Will be filled differently and you will be the main applicant for the family.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nonso213(m): 10:33am On Jun 21, 2015
kaakaa:

Good for those on ground now..... please am traveling later but seriously looking for affordable accomodation, can you help me out with that....please o.... will be using st francis though....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nonso213(m): 10:38am On Jun 21, 2015
OMary83:
For mums in Los Angeles,centinela is organizing a baby shower on 15th June by 10am to 12noon.There is usually freebies
Are still in LA? Pls my wife is in LA and will hopefully like to get some useful information from you concerning hospital and all that. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by friend(f): 2:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
Please, anyone in the house that knows about Emory hospital in Atlanta. Atlanta is the only place I have contact with, I will prefer to deliver my baby in Atlanta. Any experience please?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
friend:
Please, anyone in the house that knows about Emory hospital in Atlanta. Atlanta is the only place I have contact with, I will prefer to deliver my baby in Atlanta. Any experience please?
quote author=bmay post=29033059][/quote]

Emory midtown is :,
The estimated global fee for Prenatal Care and Vaginal Delivery is $8,136. The estimated global fee for Prenatal Care and Caesarean Section Delivery is $8,991. These fees assume a normal progression of pregnancy; including a routine number of pregnancy related visits, the physician delivery fee and post-partum six week follow up visit.
Financial arrangements available for quoted vaginal delivery pricing of $8,136 are as follows:
▪ A 35% discount will be given if the full discounted amount of $5,288.40 paid at the initial visit. (This represents a savings of $2,847.60 in overall cost.)
▪ If you are unable to pay in full, a 50% deposit of $4,068 is required at your initial visit.
▪ If paying in installments, the second installment of $2,034 is required at 24 weeks gestation. The final installment of $2,034 is required at 32 weeks gestation, or prior to a scheduled delivery date.

Piedmont is :
The prices are for services rendered to mom and baby for a Normal Delivery.
Charges associated with Normal Delivery but not limited to:
• Labor & Delivery
• Room & Board
• Labs
• Operating Room & Supplies
The prices are as follows:
$3500​VAGINAL DELIVERY ​TWO NIGHT STAY
$5500​CESAREAN DELIVERY ​THREE NIGHT STAY
The above charges do NOT include any of the following fees:
• Physicians Fees (Obstetrician, Anesthesiologists, Pediatrician, Neonatologist)
• Intermediate and/or Neonatal Intensive Care
• Newborn Hearing Screening
This form must be presented and all payments are due by the seventh month of pregnancy.

Emory John creek: is 3900 and 5900 vaginal and CS plus 2&3 days stay in hospital respectively , it excludes physician, pediatric visits, labs, anesthesia,labs, et al......

There are more hosps in the Atlanta area sha oh! That you can mail and call or visit for inquiries so you can make an informed decision.

Take care babes.that was from jaejae's post on here.
It's safer to mail the hospital and get the latest quotes though!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by demzy88(f): 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
justwise:

Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you.
@justwise please can u reach me on my email, I need some advice from you....ajayidemi@gmail.com. hoping to hear from you. Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justwise(m): 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
demzy88:
@justwise please can u reach me on my email, I need some advice from you....ajayidemi@gmail.com. hoping to hear from you. Thanks.

You can pm me if it's something too private to discuss here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 9:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
The poster on top of me, Justwise is coming for you grin

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by anonymousmum: 10:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
ozycy:

this cracked me up. Na jjc grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by anonymousmum: 10:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hello all, smiley
Congratulations to all the new mamas and papas in the house. I see most of the egbons of the thread have had their LOs...

These babies grow so fast! 5 months and counting...i am feeling like a veteran self

Just a few comments on some trending topics -

Medela electric pump is the way the truth and the ... grin

I resumed work after 2.5 months and my son is still on exclusive because I was able to pump and keep.

Ensure you buy the battery pack so you can use it in Nigeria without step up step down step side issues.

To save money buy rechargeable batteries and the corresponding charger.

Generally, for those that are not using all in packages, expect bills even after you have left the US.

My family that I used as their house as mailing address just informed me (just 2 weeks ago) that I have an invoice for hospital lab test - this is after I have gotten zero balance from the hospital o!

I called the hospital, they said that lab charges separately. Called the lab, and got 50% discount so I quickly paid that one (before one kain Medicaid will come and do oversabi and pay for me) and obtained zero balance for the expense.

good luck to all!

*goes back to ghost mode*

11 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 11:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
anonymousmum:

this cracked me up. Na jjc grin grin grin
correct jjc grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 12:46am On Jun 22, 2015
Hello everyone
Been away for a while wud upload my experience soon waiting for my bill to make it complete.
For the Breast pump I totally love the Madela freestyle and it has a voltage range of 100-240v which means it's designed for both Nigerian and US voltage.
Another lovely thing is it doesn't use the regular valves and membranes so it won't wear out.
I pump about 200mls at a 15min sitting so I just freeze.My baby is on enfamil trivisol vitamins for Breastfed babies and it's grown her a rather large appetite.(she's less than a month old)
I also came across a tea that helps in the first few days for first time mothers it's called "mothers milk"
I don't think you need to buy manual pumps because most hospitals give you free,I got the Ameda manual 2 sets free but I donno anyone who has succeeded with the manual pump,although my nurse was a lactation consultant and claimed I could express with my hands.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nita2013: 1:43am On Jun 22, 2015
In addition as regards breast pump

With Medela u av one year warranty. It doesn't matter d shop u bought it from. All u do is call them to inform about d part that is bad and they ll take ur information and send d replacement for free. Usually next day delivery if u calll b4 3pm US time. So if u av some1 that it can be delivered to.

Normally u r supposed to send d part that is bad back to them but u ll just explain that u r not in d country. Shikena.

anonymousmum:
Hello all, smiley
Congratulations to all the new mamas and papas in the house. I see most of the egbons of the thread have had their LOs...

These babies grow so fast! 5 months and
good luck to all!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gagat: 2:30am On Jun 22, 2015
Hello everyone. Please does anyone know if immunization shots for baby is given free of charge? Thanks for your prompt reply
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 2:39am On Jun 22, 2015
ozycy:

Overcorrect dey worry you!!

Its posts like this that drives home the point that this thread is home to almost 75% of "GUESTS" on this forum & why bandwagon sets in as soon as ANYTHING is mentioned.

Little wonder MHIS is overwhelmed & even turning back "customers"...

@EVERYONE,

& I mean everyone, its days to porting & I've dotted my Is & crossed my Ts save for baby's PP consent form for unavailable parents.

I've gotten useful info from helpful members of this wonderful thread but unlike Lagos the high court (back of fed secretariat) I know in Abuja does not encourage charge & bail loiterers & the lawyers I know with chambers, I don't want to approach...

@Abuja folks,

How did you navigate this slippery slope? cos I'm one tiny step away from going to UTC Area 10 to get myself a seal & manufacture stamp as well.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by CallMeFavoured: 3:30am On Jun 22, 2015
Hi, many people swear by Medela. i bought the medela advanced kit. Its a lovely set with a battery, though i bought a step down just incase.

In addition i bought storage bottles that came with ni*ples, when it arrived i noticed 0-4months on the pack. Now im wondering, does this mean after 4months i cant use the ni*ples?

anonymousmum:
Hello all, smiley

These babies grow so fast! 5 months and counting...i am feeling like a veteran self

Just a few comments on some trending topics -

Medela electric pump is the way the truth and the ... grin

I resumed work after 2.5 months and my son is still on exclusive because I was able to pump and keep.

Ensure you buy the battery pack so you can use it in Nigeria without step up step down step side issues.

To save money buy rechargeable batteries and the corresponding charger.

Generally, for those that are not using all in packages, expect bills even after you have left the US.

My family that I used as their house as mailing address just informed me (just 2 weeks ago) that I have an invoice for hospital lab test - this is after I have gotten zero balance from the hospital o!

I called the hospital, they said that lab charges separately. Called the lab, and got 50% discount so I quickly paid that one (before one kain Medicaid will come and do oversabi and pay for me) and obtained zero balance for the expense.

good luck to all!

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ewa2014: 3:54am On Jun 22, 2015
modath,

Send me a PM n I would give u the details of the notary I used. Don't want to put it out here before I would get tongue lashed for advertising...lol

modath:

Overcorrect dey worry you!!
Its posts like this that drives home the point that this thread is home to almost 75% of "GUESTS" on this forum & why bandwagon sets in as soon as ANYTHING is mentioned.
Little wonder MHIS is overwhelmed & even turning back "customers"...
@EVERYONE,
& I mean everyone, its days to porting & I've dotted my Is & crossed my Ts save for baby's PP consent form for unavailable parents.
I've gotten useful info from helpful members of this wonderful thread but unlike Lagos the high court (back of fed secretariat) I know in Abuja does not encourage charge & bail loiterers & the lawyers I know with chambers I don't want to approach...
@Abuja folks,
How did you navigate this slippery slope? cos I'm one step from going to UTC Area 10 to get myself a seal & manufacture a stamp.. grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 4:05am On Jun 22, 2015
ewa2014:

Send me a PM n I would give u the details of the notary I used. Don't want to put it out here before I would get tongue lashed for advertising...lol

Done. Thx

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.