Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,864 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893375 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
0yin:

Please educate us on this'facta'

Google it ma'am smiley

However, this link before provides an overview.

http://www.fatca.hsbc.com/frequently-asked-questions

In summary, a "US person" is liable to pay tax on accounts/earnings obtained outside the US.

So for example, a individual living and working in UK with british citizenship will be expected to pay tax to both the UK and US government. (basically, double taxation).
Now, certain countries have agreed to be part of the FATCA agreement.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Pages/FATCA-Archive.aspx

Now what makes it even more interesting is that almost all (if not all) the global banks are taking this FATCA issue seriously. No bank wants to lose their US banking license or get fined by the US authorities.

So it's no surprise why the US embassies are suddenly very busy/generous in dishing out visas to foreign nationals to have their kids in the US (they were never this generous in the past. As a matter of fact, you are almost guaranteed of a refusal if at the visa interview you declare your intention of having a child in the US). It's all about the $$$$$$$ (taxes) that these kids will bring into the coffers of IRS in future. And trust me, double taxation ain't fun grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
cheesy I can hook you up sharpish! Just let me know your specs, enough single and searching ladies in Lagos cheesy

By next month you can do introduction and by the end of the year trad and white wedding.

If you're not in Nigeria, they can put your picture on the chair next to your 'wife' at the introduction or infact you can facetime from wherever you are. Thank God for technology grin

And then we can do nairaland aso ebi, since technically we're part of your extended family grin grin

justwise:

grin grin apparently men can get pregnant these days..... being trying but it doesn't work grin grin so i have to shift my attention to wife hunting grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by babyspice: 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2015
it was in florida. Jacksonville. Orange Park Medical.
Phema:

Are you serious? Which hospital? That's a first. . .

Most hospitals i know don't charge two separate bills for each baby.

I guess it depends on the hospitals then. So OP, please ask the hospital you will be using.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by silverplum: 12:40pm On Jul 21, 2015
dada80:

hello Ennie83, can you please get in touch? many thanks

Hi i will be there too. Pls get in touch. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by babyspice: 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2015
Yeah you are very right about the taxes!! but lets pray very hard for our little darlings so that they become very successful big darlings so that taxes will be a minor headache!!!
Ralphlauren:

Google ma'am smiley

In summary, a "US person" is liable to pay tax on accounts/earnings obtained outside the US.

So for example, a individual living and working in UK with british citizenship will be expected to pay tax to both the UK and US government. (basically, double taxation).

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Pages/FATCA-Archive.aspx

Now what makes it even more interesting is that almost all (if not all) the global banks are taking this FATCA issue seriously. No bank wants to lose their US banking license or get fined by the US authorities.

So it's no surprise why the US embassies are suddenly very busy/generous in dishing out visas to foreign nationals to have their kids in the US (they were never this generous in the past. As a matter of fact, you are almost guaranteed of a refusal if at the visa interview you declare your intention of having a child in the US). It's all about the $$$$$$$ (taxes) that these kids will bring into the coffers of IRS in future. And trust me, double taxation ain't fun grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 12:47pm On Jul 21, 2015
babyspice:
Yeah you are very right about the taxes!! but lets pray very hard for our little darlings so that they become very successful big darlings so that taxes will be a minor headache!!!

It is even when they are successful that the double taxation is the most painful.

Imagine paying 40-50% income tax in the UK (as per a high flying executive) and then paying the US government their own share. Wetin go remain? grin grin

Nobody should think Naija banks are exempted from FATCA reporting. Citibank, Standard Chartered, etc will surely comply.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 0yin: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Google it ma'am smiley

I guess this applies to all mums here as their kids would get taxed in nigeria as well as the us. I dont plan to apply for uk citizenship for my child.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
shelly23:
Yeah it depends on the hospital and the packages they offer. My hospital will charge separately for mother and each child. The fee for the mother is fixed though and the child is just based on what they do.
Better for the OP to confirm from the hospital, if possible get it in writing sef before the birth.

True that.

babyspice:

Alright.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 12:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
0yin:

I guess this applies to all mums here as their kids would get taxed in nigeria as well as the us. I dont plan to apply for uk citizenship for my child.

Yes, Nigerian banks will surely comply with the FATCA reporting.

Why don't you want to apply for UK citizenship for your child? A passport that gives him access to work and live in ALL the EU countries? undecided Not forgetting the small welfare perks that come with the passport?

I hope you are aware that a US citizen coming to study in UK for example needs a student visa just like his Nigerian counterpart and a US citizen has to apply for a work permit to work in the UK like his Indian counterpart.

Some nigerian parents are of the wrong assumption that a US passport means their child can live and work in any developed country in the world apart from the US. MBA!! No be so oh.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2015
We will open microfinance bank accts grin.. or just send the child back to US to work for US govt and us govt only when he turns 18.

Ralphlauren:

It is even when they are successful that the double taxation is the most painful.

Imagine paying 40-50% income tax in the UK (as per a high flying executive) and then paying the US government their own share. Wetin go remain? grin grin

Nobody should think Naija banks are expected from FATCA reporting. Citibank, Standard Chartered, etc will surely comply.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 1:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
nefertitiram:
We will open microfinance bank accts grin

Heheheheh. That won't fly. Most of these microfinance banks if not all are affliated to the big banks anyway. Besides, in all una quest of buying dollars for PTA, how many of you have been offered by microfinance banks grin grin those banks are only good for offering loans to purchase keke marwa and the likes grin grin

Not forgetting Nigerian employers that will insist you open "salary accounts" with their own preferred bank if you want to collect your wages grin or have they stopped that nonsense? grin Last I checked, those preferred banks are not microfinance banks oh grin

nefertitiram:
just send the child back to US to work for US govt and us govt only when he turns 18.

Yes. That's the only way out of the whole FATCA mess.

A friend of mine (Ghanian parents but born and raised in the US) recently gave up her well paying job in the UK to return back to the US because she was almost skint and totally fed up with the double taxation. Not forgetting the student loans she was also paying back to the US government. grin grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 1:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
Oh. I forgot to add, FATCA is also applicable to green card holders cheesy. They are also classed as "US persons".

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by doted: 2:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
Good Afternoon All,

i need your help please...my sister is currently in elpaso, gave birth two weeks ago and is yet to collect the baby's birth certificate. please elpaso peeps, does it take that long??
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by sayoberry(f): 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2015
Phema:

Come back here my friend! You have just 5 kids and you are running. Our mothers had more and we should beat their records. grin

Well done there!

After you born 5 more, I go con copy u

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by twizzie: 2:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

grin grin those banks are only good for offering loans to purchase keke marwa and the likes grin grin

. grin grin

LMAO!! This cracked me up!! Just strolling pass but I just could not ignore that statement!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by twizzie: 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2015
hmmm..Ocotillo vilage!! Nostalgia...
heads up though, give them sufficient time for notice before you leave so they can start processing your $100 deposit... They will say they want to mail to you but my dear, If you can, collect before you leave...They sent me $24 cheque upon say I made sure I didn't owe them and I left the apartment clean....
bambini:

I am at Ocotillo village, I have a month more to stay and there's hopefully another mama coming in next week, am not that bored here. So I be pleased if you can join us. Let me know if you need any assistance
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dada80: 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
silverplum:

Hi i will be there too. Pls get in touch. Thanks

Hi silverplum, please chat me up so we can connect onoeze22@yahoo.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 3:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
Was 1 week last year.... Hmm

doted:
Good Afternoon All,

i need your help please...my sister is currently in elpaso, gave birth two weeks ago and is yet to collect the baby's birth certificate. please elpaso peeps, does it take that long??
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by lahips: 4:47pm On Jul 21, 2015
Anyone travelling first week of Sept to America with Lufthansa, connecting at Frankfurt, you can holla if you need someone to chat with while waiting for the connecting flight.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bambini: 5:38pm On Jul 21, 2015
twizzie:
hmmm..Ocotillo vilage!! Nostalgia...
heads up though, give them sufficient time for notice before you leave so they can start processing your $100 deposit... They will say they want to mail to you but my dear, If you can, collect before you leave...They sent me $24 cheque upon say I made sure I didn't owe them and I left the apartment clean....

Thanks dear for the head up I plan on them deducting it from it from my last rent with them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 7:08pm On Jul 21, 2015
lahips:
Anyone travelling first week of Sept to America with Lufthansa, connecting at Frankfurt, you can holla if you need someone to chat with while waiting for the connecting flight.
are you going for another birth trip? I haven't bot ticket yet but will be going around same time wt Lufthansa
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ynkthomas: 8:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
babyspice:

Middleburg?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by tk8681: 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2015
bambini:

I am at Ocotillo village, I have a month more to stay and there's hopefully another mama coming in next week, am not that bored here. So I be pleased if you can join us. Let me know if you need any assistance
Thanks for your response. My hubby already booked crossland but I don't know how close it is to MIHS. Please I wld like to know the distance between ocotillo village and MIHS cos am really heavy and finding it challenging to walk for long and also how did you transport yourself round the city. Am coming in this Thursday pls how do I locate you?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by koko83: 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
ewa2014:

@koko83 depends on what u want and ur budget... When r u coming in...PM me let's discuss ...

whats ur email. Also pls do u ve a soft copy of d doctors report. My doc said he needs a format. Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by vamum: 9:39pm On Jul 21, 2015
shelly23:
cheesy I can hook you up sharpish! Just let me know your specs, enough single and searching ladies in Lagos cheesy

By next month you can do introduction and by the end of the year trad and white wedding.

If you're not in Nigeria, they can put your picture on the chair next to your 'wife' at the introduction or infact you can facetime from wherever you are. Thank God for technology grin

And then we can do nairaland aso ebi, since technically we're part of your extended family grin grin

Too funny!! grin grin grin grin if he even wants the one that has the baby already waiting pending delivery so he doesnt stress himself you can arrange that one join ba?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by sayoberry(f): 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
justwise:

grin grin apparently men can get pregnant these days..... being trying but it doesn't work grin grin so i have to shift my attention to wife hunting grin grin

Kikikikikiki
Upon all these fine babes Wey dey chase you for nairaland
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ewa2014: 12:08am On Jul 22, 2015
It was a to whom it may concern letter.

The report was just one page containing my name, gestational age, due date and a brief summary of my tests so far. Then they attached all my test results from the beginning of my pregncy as well as my scan reports too.

Was signed and stamped. Shikena.

@koko83

koko83:
whats ur email. Also pls do u ve a soft copy of d doctors report. My doc said he needs a format. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shawlar(m): 12:38am On Jul 22, 2015
Ralphlauren:

I dey kampe.

I'm baffled on why mothers with EU passport still fly over to the US to have kids.

Cc: 0yin and Riz2015

Una never hear of FATCA? undecided

Its amazing that most peeps on this forum don't know about US tax laws or the FATCA and how it affects their lil ones
For me, it was one of the major aspects of this US birth thingy that I considered extensively b4 making up my mind

0yin:

Please educate us on this'facta'

I'll post some additions to what @Ralphlauren posted later. Just know this, your lil americana will pay taxes to the US govt for life.... cry kiss embarassed

..unless he renounces sha,

more later

abeg @Ralphlauren how person go take get EU/UK passport..? grin grin
My wife never travel #itsnottoolate
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by silverplum: 2:06am On Jul 22, 2015
Hi everyone,
Pls do you know or have anyone in USA Embassy in abuja who can help me get an earlier appointment date? Want to travel ist week in sept but got 16th for appointment. Pls help!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 5:12am On Jul 22, 2015
Is it really such a bad thing to pay taxes? At least we can see the value of the taxes. Medicaid that some of us are illegally using is a result of taxes.

I'll rather my child pay taxes than to be wondering what if or singing sholda woulda coulda songs many years down the line

shawlar:

Its amazing that most peeps on this forum don't know about US tax laws or the FATCA and how it affects their lil ones
For me, it was one of the major aspects of this US birth thingy that I considered extensively b4 making up my mind

I'll post some additions to what @Ralphlauren posted later. Just know this, your lil americana will pay taxes to the US govt for life.... cry kiss embarassed

..unless he renounces sha,

more later

abeg @Ralphlauren how person go take get EU/UK passport..? grin grin
My wife never travel #itsnottoolate

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 6:13am On Jul 22, 2015
shelly23:
Is it really such a bad thing to pay taxes? At least we can see the value of the taxes. Medicaid that some of us are illegally using is a result of taxes.

I'll rather my child pay taxes than to be wondering what if or singing sholda woulda coulda songs many years down the line

Sholda woulda coulda songs hehehhehehehhehehehe
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ralphlauren(m): 6:54am On Jul 22, 2015
shelly23:

There's absolutely nothing wrong in paying taxes. Absolutely nothing wrong. It seems you do not understand what FATCA is all about. It's basically the double taxation a US citizen is subject to if he or she earn wages/does business/operate a bank account outside the US. As long as the individual lives/works/earns wages/does business/operates bank accounts strictly within the US, then there's nothing to worry about.

No need to get all defensive at me ma'am. I know Nigerian mothers take this US citizenship via birth really personal and they are very defensive about it which is my original post was directed to parents with foreign citizenship already.

All I have done is explain in layman terms a law which a lot of people do not know about or understand.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.