Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,835 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN - Celebrities (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN (43775 Views)

Christy Daniels, Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria International Stuns In New Pics / Precious John Nneka Goes Pantless (photos) / Olajumoke Orisaguna Featured On CNN (Photos&Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by chemicool: 7:23am On Mar 05, 2015
pojophilius:

It's terribly owk..

I terribly acknowledge it.
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Ryabcool(m): 7:23am On Mar 05, 2015
vivaciousvivi:

Lol, will leave u to wallow in your ignorance. Cheers
lol! Common. I asked you a question. The least you could do is to tell me and when I listen to it, I'd tell you if I'm convinced
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by obialinaeze(m): 7:24am On Mar 05, 2015
kestolove95:
Dix nneka na corrct babe...d only problem b sai...she b igbo...nneka. na d. Name azkiwe gej dey use deceive ur illiterates brother for. East o...dats y. we. Tell dem to go skool. Dem no gree. Sai na bizness dem go do
. You must be lost, so she made a mistake by bearing an igbo name? and ur insight that Igbo's are not schooling is a slap on our face. When saying something,u have to stop making use of what we called HALO EFFECT.
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by rufdan(m): 7:25am On Mar 05, 2015
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by mkdboy: 7:26am On Mar 05, 2015
How many days has she spent in this country that is is giving a thumb down to some one?
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by rufdan(m): 7:28am On Mar 05, 2015
Open main menu
Last edited 4 days ago by an anonymous user
Nneka (singer)
Watch this page
Nneka
Nneka @ cargo, london.jpg
At Cargo, London, 2009
Background information
Birth name Nneka Lucia Egbuna
Born 24 December 1980 (age 34)
Origin Warri, Nigeria
Genres Soul, hip hop, R&B, afrobeat, reggae
Occupation(s) Singer, songwriter, actress
Instruments Guitar, drum
Years active 2003–present
Labels Yo Mama's Recording, Sony Music, Co./Epic Records/Decon Records/
Nneka Lucia Egbuna (born 24 December 1980) is a German Nigerian hip hop/soul singer, songwriter and actress. She sings in both Igbo and English.

Music careerEdit

Since 2003, Nneka has been working closely with the hip hop beatmaker DJ Farhot, a producer living in Hamburg. As a young singer she first gained public attention in 2004 while performing as an opening act for dancehall reggae star Sean Paul at Hamburg Stadtpark. After much acclaim, Nneka was given a green light to record her first album.

After releasing her debut EP The Uncomfortable Truth with the music label Yo Mama's Recording Company, she performed on her first tour with Patrice Bart-Williams in April 2005, playing shows in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

She finished recording her first album in the autumn of 2005. Entitled Victim of Truth, it was released not only in Germany but also in England, France, Netherlands, Nigeria and Japan. Garnering rave reviews from the media, the UK's Sunday Times later declared it “the year’s most criminally overlooked album”, comparing it favourably to 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill'.[1]

Following the release of the album, Nneka enjoyed a sustained and successful period of touring, performing at festivals such as Chiemsee Reggae Summer, Haarlem (Bevrijdingspop), Den Haag (Park Pop) and Saint-Brieuc (Art Rock Festival) as well as in respected venues like La Maroquinerie and New Morning in Paris, Tivoli in Utrecht, Paradiso in Amsterdam and Cargo and ULU in London. She has also supported artists such as Femi Kuti, Bilal, Seeed, and Gnarls Barkley.

In 2006, Nneka also performed with a group of dancers from Münster on the German TV channel WDR. there she performed her single "Gypsy" while the group performed their dance routine they had worked on specifically for the song gypsy. The dance group was supported by the organization Schlauberger.

In February 2008, she released her second album, No Longer at Ease. The title of the album is taken from a novel of the same name by Chinua Achebe and reflects the lyrical content of the record. Most of the songs are political, talking about the plight of the Niger Delta and the corruption in Nneka’s homeland. “No Longer at Ease” combines the political and the personal in “a winning mix of soul, hip-hop and reggae”.[2] The lead single from it, "Heartbeat", became her first song to break into the German Top 50.[3] In September 2009, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number twenty.[4]

The following months saw tours in France, Italy and Portugal, while she also supported Lenny Kravitz on his French tour in April 2009.

Nneka was nominated in three categories for the 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards,[5] and won an award for Best African Act at the 2009 MOBO Awards.

In late 2009, she was chosen as of one Beyond Race Magazine's "50 Emerging Artists", resulting in a spot in the publication's #11 issue (with Bodega Girls and J. Cole on the cover), as well as an exclusive Q&A for the magazine's site.[6]

In November 2009, Nneka staged her first concert tour of the United States where she performed shows in New York City, Vienna (Washington DC), Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Furthermore she was a special guest on The Roots Jam session. Her first US release Concrete Jungle was set for 2 February 2010.

Her track "Kangpe" is also featured as a soundtrack on the EA Sports FIFA 2010 video game.

In January 2010, Nneka appeared in Late Show with David Letterman in New York before getting her US tour underway.

In June 2010, she won the reggae category of the Museke Online Africa Music Award 2010 with her hit song, "Africans".

She agreed to go on tour with Nas and Damian Marley to help them promote their Distant Relatives (2010) album. She has done a remix of her highly rated track, "Heartbeat" with Nas, which was released via iTunes on Oct 05 2010.[7]

She participated in the 2010 Lilith Fair Concert where Tegan & Sara, Sarah McLachlan, Kelly Clarkson, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Corinne Bailey Rae, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna and others have performed. She performed also in Washington, Raleigh and Charlotte (United States).

Nneka recorded a song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa called "Viva Africa". It is a tribute to the premier mundial on African soil.

Nneka also won the award for best indigenous artist in Nigeria at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards (NEA) 2010, which was held in New York, U.S.A. Since then she has won the NEA award for best international artist several times.

In 2011, Nneka was featured alongside Ziggy Marley on the song "Express Yourself," produced for the film You Got Served: Beat the World. [8]

In March 2012, she appeared on BET 106 and Park Music Matters. On the show she performed a live acoustic set with one of Nigeria's best Afro classical acoustic guitarist Clef nite and Black Thought the front man and rapper for the popular hip hop band The Roots She also made similar appearance on MTV Iggy with Clef nite on the second acoustic guitar.

Nneka recorded her last album Soul Is Heavy in Nigeria. She also co-founded a charity foundation called the "ROPE foundation" with Genda, Ahmed Nyei from Sierra Leone.[9] She has worked extensively in charity and arts with the foundation in Sierra Leone. Nneka has also worked with Reebok and her track "Shinning" topped global charts in 2013. Her song "Heartbeat" has been remixed and sampled several times - most notably by Chase & Status[10] and Rita Ora respectively.

In May 2013, she appeared on False Idols by Tricky.

Musical style
Discography
Filmography
References
External links
Read in another language
Wikipedia ® MobileDesktop
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Terms of UsePrivacy
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by FRENZYLO: 7:31am On Mar 05, 2015
Brainwashed lagos pikin .What effect will ur support give to Nigeria.Stupid girl
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by bjbukzy(m): 7:32am On Mar 05, 2015
Mayor21:
Who the hell is she?
but you know bovi and toyin aimakhu. Well she is a social conscious musicians
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:32am On Mar 05, 2015
Ryabcool:
lol! Common. I asked you a question. The least you could do is to tell me and when I listen to it, I'd tell you if I'm convinced

U asked me a question after unnecessarily insulting me.
You have google dear, make it useful.
And pls do learn how to communicate with strangers in the future.
Cheers
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 05, 2015
kilokeys:

how does the message uplift ur spirit? how many of her tracks do u have on ur phone?

she is better off a writer and an activist than a singer.
sir Google just told me abt u, can u sing like her? She's a writer and a very sound artiste, if people like terry G's song and dance to shoki then nneka has a lot of quality and inspirational songs to keep one's mind at peace
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Ryabcool(m): 7:33am On Mar 05, 2015
vivaciousvivi:

Lol, will leave u to wallow in your ignorance. Cheers
here's my proof

http://berrykissinspires..com/2012/03/drake-samples-nnekas-heartbeat-in-song.html?m=1

Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 05, 2015
kilokeys:

how does the message uplift ur spirit? how many of her tracks do u have on ur phone?

she is better off a writer and an activist than a singer.
sir Google just told me abt u, can u sing like her? She's a writer and a very sound artiste, if people like terry G's song and dance to shoki then nneka has a lot of quality and inspirational songs to keep one's mind at peace, you think it's easy to be on CNN and be interviewed, if so let me see u next on the live show grin
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 05, 2015
Sarimah:
popular keh? I've never heard of her undecided
. If u never heard about her does not mean she is not popular. She very much popular my dear.
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by beneezy(m): 7:37am On Mar 05, 2015
Mayor21:
Who the hell is she?
Increase ur musical horizon and stop displaying ur myopic nature. That's Nneka for goodness sake
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Ryabcool(m): 7:37am On Mar 05, 2015
vivaciousvivi:

U asked me a question after unnecessarily insulting me.
You have google dear, make it useful.
And pls do learn how to communicate with strangers in the future.
Cheers
I just rechecked what I typed and I still don't see the insult. And to think I had a clear mind when I asked the question.

It's either you're looking for trouble where there is none, or you clearly misunderstood me. Either way, I am not to be blamed because I asked from a cheerful and curious stance.
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 05, 2015
Airforce1:

what are u saying undecided
bros water and garri make Eba for ur wedding day grin
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by vega84(m): 7:37am On Mar 05, 2015
Taaaa commot fr here hw many times u don com naija? U knw wetin the happen here? Mstcheewwwwwwwwwwwwww. #vegatalks#
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by damkin24(m): 7:38am On Mar 05, 2015
Some idiots will kno the truth but pretends they dont becos they hav being probably brain-washed by their so called GEJ. Why the combat now, why not before now to save more of the lives that were lost to the perpetrators?
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by smogup: 7:38am On Mar 05, 2015
wakacome:
[b]Terribly Her songs will terribly sound terrible to you because terribly you have a terrible way of reasoning which has terribly made you to terribly have a terrible hatred for her after she terribly said the truth about the terrible Goodluck jonathan who is the head of a terrible government controlling the nation terribly which has terribly made a lot of nigerians to terribly have a terrible life which can be terribly saddening in a terrible way.. ...am terribly sure if she had terribly said that terrible goodluck jonathan did very well you would not have terribly abuse her and terribly condemn her music in a terrible manner.....terrible hypocrisy at its peak......terribly you sounded terrible and I had to terribly reply you back in a terrible manner which could make you terribly offended and even terribly reply me back and I don't terribly care because I can be terribly harsh on people's stupidity which is terrible to humanity.....have a non-terrible night which terribly is the same way as saying have a wonderful nite terribly.grin...terribly I say unto you go and sin no more as I terribly end my reply to you in the most terrible way which suits you terribly..oops before you terribly go please let me terribly spit on your head..[/b]..
Guy you are terrific. You have terribly nailed it. Case closed!

1 Like

Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 05, 2015
FRENZYLO:
Brainwashed lagos pikin .What effect will ur support give to Nigeria.Stupid girl
an E-blow go correct ur brain now, no dodge am o[color=#990000][/color] grin
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 05, 2015
lestat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nneka_(singer)

i am a mugu and an amaphrodites undecided undecided
why are u insulting urself
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 05, 2015
messpero90:
mcheew is dis d famous u talk abt woya type tiwa salvage n c if wikipedia is going 2 say d name belongs 2 a baseball player.

Dude its not about Wikipedia, seriously who thinks like this? undecided undecided she is very famous globally take it or leave it
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 05, 2015
Thumbs up nneka! GOOD THINKING!! GOOD PRODUCT!!!...CHANGE IS INEVITABLE!
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 05, 2015
lestat:

Dude its not about Wikipedia, seriously who thinks like this? undecided undecided she is very famous globally take it or leave it
pls shut d Bleep up, hw many awards has she won? hw many times hav u watch her videos? mcheeeew nonsence n ingredients
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by malonephill(m): 7:47am On Mar 05, 2015
himkers:
See as f00ls here are hyping CNN....And whoever says starBoy can't be featured on CNN is a terrible joker
don't mind most 'em here ranting rubbish on faceless forum...shm on them because was interviewed on CNN had made her world class undecidedl
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 05, 2015
Seenyo:
Thumbs up nneka! GOOD THINKING!! GOOD PRODUCT!!!...CHANGE IS INEVITABLE!
listen kid hw many times hav u listen 2 her songs since u re giving birth to

1 Like

Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 05, 2015
messpero90:
pls shut d Bleep up, hw many awards has she won? hw many times hav u watch her videos? mcheeeew nonsence n ingredients

My point exactly, from how you speak and reason its very understandable why u haven't heard about her, Nneka doesn't perform at brothels and gutter suburbs. Alas i sympathize with you, its not easy being wretched

2 Likes

Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 05, 2015
malonephill:
don't mind most 'em here ranting rubbish on faceless forum...shm on them because was interviewed on CNN had made her world class undecidedl
dey re just myopic, anybody can b feature on cnn. even dencia was feature on cnn.
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by beneezy(m): 7:51am On Mar 05, 2015
DesChyko:
Mehn.. What's she doing on CNN? An audition?
They do music auditioning on CNN this day?
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by richidinho(m): 7:51am On Mar 05, 2015
HighQue007:

I am not sure you listen to good music with good lyrical content.

If she sings terrible songs, what would you say about wizkid and the rest that keeps single poo and songs that lack inspiration. ..Google her name..Google will help you know about her.

When did CNN became a Nigerian National TV network?

Listen to her
Seun and I.........both of the dn
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 05, 2015
lestat:

My point exactly, from how you speak and reason its very understandable why u haven't heard about her, Nneka doesn't perform at brothels and gutter suburbs. Alas i sympathize with you, its not easy being wretched
stop d insult n answa my question, ok of all d musical channels in dstv, hav u watch her videos even 4 once?
Re: Popular Nigeria International Singer, Nneka, Blast Jonathan On CNN by ahizih(m): 7:52am On Mar 05, 2015
Twaci:
Doesn't affect the economy nor democracy in anyway

Who is she,cux we dnt knw her here in kumasi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Married Woman Begs Cassper Nyovest To Fertilize Her As He Lands In Nigeria / #BamTeddy: Teddy A And Bambam's Traditional Introduction/Engagement (More Photos / Tiwa Savage Wears Coalnterryvintage Bum Shorts In Latest Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.