Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation (10052 Views)

Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / 24-hr Curfew Imposed On Parts Of Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 10:57pm On Jan 14, 2009
PapaBrowne:

The deterrent factor is enough to reduce crime in Lagos dramatically!

Cameras are rarely used to catch thieves. Their main purpose is to serve as a deterrent!

Concerning power, that would definitely be an obstacle, but not a big one.
There are cameras that come with UPS backing.

Didn't you hear that all the street lights in Warri are powered without NEPA and they function perfectly twelve 12hrs nightly.
If Delta state can do it for streetlights, why not Lagos for Cameras!

Deterrent?. They can as well install dummy cameras instead of wasting money on real cameras that will only serve as a deterrent factor.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 11:07pm On Jan 14, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Ok, let me get this right. . .

1. where is the camera feed linked to, police station or governor's office?

2. so you spot earTHMama at 7up bus stop comitting crime, shortly afterwards she jumped on a molue that drove off. Using the camera image and info, how do you track her down and arrest her?

3. so when there is power outage in an area or multiple areas, how do you then monitor events on the streets when your remote eyes are not active?

Has this been thought through or are we spending money on an impulsive and irrational project?

I believe cameras should be installed for remote monitoring and reporting of traffic flow so it will give drivers a forecast of the road conditions ahead of them. Lagos state had two towers that served this function years ago. They were called rattle twin towers. One was behind FESTAC in Iganmu and the other was across the bridge at Apongbon. They transmitted traffic broadcast on Eko Bridge and allowed optional use of Carter bridge to control flow of traffic. We should improve on what worked well in the past instead of creating new wheels that does not best fit with out society.
Na you the camera go catch where you dey carry ashewo. Oniranu. tongue
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 11:08pm On Jan 14, 2009
It is really strange that for some people being patriotic means never looking at things without attaching and coloring it with emotions. We are all here because we identify with Nigeria one way or the other. This is not a competition about who loves Nigeria the most.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 11:10pm On Jan 14, 2009
shotster50:

It is really strange that for some people being patriotic means never looking at things without attaching and coloring it with emotions. We are all here because we identify with Nigeria one way or the other. This is not a competition about who loves Nigeria the most.

Apparently, there is some sort of competition going on. I wonder what the cash price is.

roflmao!!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 11:10pm On Jan 14, 2009
It is really strange that for some people being patriotic means never looking at things without attaching and coloring it with emotions. We are all here because we identify with Nigeria one way or the other.

You still have to criticize constructively. Tell me one thing the govt have done that has been praised by the duo of Kobojunkie and Nuzo?.

On the other hand, shall we stay without cameras and remain in the stone age?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 11:11pm On Jan 14, 2009
bronx_dog:

Yeah, so much that your sister saw it and cried - oh mama, let me enjoy some of the ding dong dik Mama -and she came and got foked while still your Dad films on in laughter.

George, but I thought you're gay. Anyway, that too was caught on Fashola's CCTV camera.  grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by bronxdog: 11:11pm On Jan 14, 2009
shotster50:

save that - and why must I follow your line of thought that the project will fail or will not work? Do you beleive in what is called the other side of the coin? I dont have to be pessimists like you, remember? Just as you dont have to be optimistic like me.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by NegroNtns(m): 11:13pm On Jan 14, 2009
Na you the camera go catch where you dey carry ashewo. Oniranu.  

Funmi, O' gbadun!  Kilode to je wipe awon ara ilu ni won ko ju ero am' aworan si?  Afai tete m' ole . . . ole (Ijoba) mu ara ilu.  grin
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 11:14pm On Jan 14, 2009
save that - and why must I follow your line of thought that the project will fail or will not work? Do you beleive in what is called the other side of the coin? I dont have to be pessimists like you, remember? Just as you dont have to be optimistic like me.

Don't stretch your neck over those AWOL Nigerians that prefer eating with pigs to going back to their motherland and live like a prince.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 11:14pm On Jan 14, 2009
Funmi, O' gbadun! Kilode to je wipe awon ara ilu ni won ko ju ero am' aworan si? Afai tete m' ole . . . ole (Ijoba) mu ara ilu.
grin grin grin Roflmao

You really have a good sense of humor.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 11:16pm On Jan 14, 2009
AND THE BATTLE CONTINUES! it is ga ju?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 11:19pm On Jan 14, 2009
@ Bronx,  if you had cared to read what i wrote, you wont find where I said it wont work, what i said was that this isn't the   biggest problem facing Lagos right now. Things need to be placed in order of priorities, don't get it mixed up. And ow, I am not asking for you to concur, i have this feeling you are simply taking your stance for the sake of it and not necessarily backed by any informed reason,
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Ibime(m): 11:33pm On Jan 14, 2009
Whether the cameras will be functional or not is another question.

However, this Fashola guy is really a man with vision.

It is almost impossible to run a civilised society without cameras.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Magz(m): 11:36pm On Jan 14, 2009
Fucking Illuminati man,

You ppl have any idea how serious this is??

We should all be fearing for our lives, cause wicked things gonna start to be goin on cry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by B118: 11:57pm On Jan 14, 2009
Thats how we know that we dont have very intelligent ppl running the country. Of all the problems the nation is facing the best thing they could come up with is cctv, just great.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by reindeer: 12:05am On Jan 15, 2009
pls what is the biggest problem facing the country that cant be done side by side with this?
and why is is that any new project by the govt is met with such skepticism?
lets give the guy a chance, at least despite all the condemnation, BRT works and people are clamoring for more check out punch or guardian websites for people's feedback.
Lets at least give him a chance, judging by what ive seen the governor do, this might just work, a wait and see approach is better than outright condemnation ,regardless of where we are, we are still nigerians, or at best 'naturalised IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES'.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by dipsyn: 12:07am On Jan 15, 2009
sad
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by dipsyn: 12:09am On Jan 15, 2009
In the US when things go wrong the citizen still says words like "God bless America" , "America God's own country" even in the face of this current economic crises the US citizens have not had doubt about their country coming out of it.

But in Nigeria our faithful citizens will always critize and diminish any project may be that is why the projects don't even work because just left to our bad mouthing alone is enough to kill any project and to reduce the commitment of those involved in the project

we analyse issues as if we are better than the team of scorlarly advisres who taught about it and when we check our own cupboard the decision we make in our life's is sure worse than that of Fashola. I beleive the project is good, it creates new jobs and until we Nigerians start to think right we can never act right. I pray the project works out as planned

And mind you rome was in built in a day and so America it took the right attitude from the people which in this case is you and I

God bless Fashola, God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by B118: 12:26am On Jan 15, 2009
I'm not sorry i'm not singing Fashola's praises but I do not rebuke his efforts either, but I believe the reason for a forum is to voice ur opinion and listen to that of others. And in my opinion Nigeria tries to be western more than it tries to grow.
If you have an outbreak of a disease you first find the cause before you can find the cure. If a person is hungry, desperate, with no job, feeling hopeless and fustrated, follow him around with a camera all day if you will, he will still commit crime because he has no other choice, and he'll probably hate you for spending what could have fed him for a month on a fancy camera that does not solve anything instead keeps the citizen under the close watch of a currupt goverment.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 12:28am On Jan 15, 2009
@ Dipsyn, Point noted, regardless of what you or I say the Government are still going to do whatever they want  to do. As for cutting them some slack, sure i do not always criticize their moves. just the ones i feel that are not going to benefit a lot of the citizenry.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Magz(m): 12:57am On Jan 15, 2009
B118:

Thats how we know that we dont have very intelligent ppl running the country. Of all the problems the nation is facing the best thing they could come up with is cctv, just great.

I don't think that the decision comes from the people running your country. Look up the term "Illuminati" and you will understand a little more why these types of programs are being implemented globally. It is the next step in an ongoing movement towards global slavery and elitist control.

I would go into it, but I cannot for security reasons.

embarassed
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 1:01am On Jan 15, 2009
Magz u need to change your dealer  seriously, whatever his giving you right now is messed up.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by spoilt(f): 1:04am On Jan 15, 2009
Hopefully it works. After the criminals are recognized on the CCTV, is the Nigerian police going to have gas in the police cars to go and arrest them? grin
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 1:21am On Jan 15, 2009
B118:

I'm not sorry i'm not singing Fashola's praises but I do not rebuke his efforts either, but I believe the reason for a forum is to voice ur opinion and listen to that of others. And in my opinion Nigeria tries to be western more than it tries to grow.

I am not sorry that I am singing your praise right now for that line! Thank God we have people who see things like you do here!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by seyibrown(f): 1:30am On Jan 15, 2009
Where will these cameras' be installed? The 'Ajegunles' and the 'Oshodis'? Or the Highbrow areas?

Will these camera's be mounted where they can capture the Nigerian police/ MOPOL demanding and taking bribes from bus drivers?

Are these Camera's indesdtructible? A picture of some drunken thug dismantling the cameras comes to my mind.

Will those caught on camera be prosecuted for their crimes? Do the Nigerian courts accept video evidence?(Not very sure that they do)

This idea sounds to me like a bloody waste of time and money. We don't need cameras, we need incorrupt law enforcement agents and government officials. I hope the monies for this project will be diverted to a more beneficial cause.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by playahP(m): 1:44am On Jan 15, 2009
FASHOLA HAS TRIED FOR LAGOS STATE AND I MUST SAY THAT HE IS THE BEST GOVERNOR LAGOS HAS EVER HAD,
JUST IMAGINE IF JIMI AGBAJE OR FEMI PEDRO WAS IN POWER,IT WILL BE WORSE THAN WORST,
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THAT THIRD GUY THAT CONTESTED FOR ELECTION,

its going to work NTA is still alive, the videos might be shown on network news, that alone is enough to put the criminal into hiding for life or probably suicide or heart attack
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by lucabrasi(m): 1:50am On Jan 15, 2009
i beg to be excused from this thread as most of the comments are getting infantille, as usual when you disagree with a set group of people, enjoy asserting your views
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by IGWEUSA(m): 2:39am On Jan 15, 2009
wonders shall never end in Naija! shocked
Street cameras, when d state does not have data of ppl living in lagos state.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 2:41am On Jan 15, 2009
lucabrasi:

i beg to be excused from this thread as most of the comments are getting infantille, as usual when you disagree with a set group of people, enjoy asserting your views

You read my mind.

See these anumanis talking about bad mouthing and blah blah. How many of such rubbish have we seen in our life time?? I remember when I was a ki and traffic lights were at some junctions in town, barely six months later, the poles were still there but the traffic lights werent working.

We are not saying the idea is bad, but CCTV needs a bunch of other stuffs to make it work properly. Iheard someone say put it on NTA news. And then what?? I could step out of my house now, cap someone, board the next flight to a neighbouring state, get arrested and make bail without anyone knowing I have outstanding warrants in another state.

We asked about Power for the Cameras, Who will watch the Cameras?? The same Nigerian police I know??

Instead he should invest the money towards communications equipment for the police. I'm talking about walkie talkies, Patrol cars with radios and an emergency switch board for the state.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE NUMBER TO CALL IN AN EMERGENCY?? I heard 199. tried it and my phone responeded thus "The number you have dialled is incorrect, please  check and try again".

Thats what lagos needs now. Not putting the state on big brother.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 2:44am On Jan 15, 2009
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE NUMBER TO CALL IN AN EMERGENCY?? I heard 199. tried it and my phone responeded thus "The number you have dialled is incorrect, please check and try again".
999 from any phone and the cops will be there in less than 5 mins.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 2:46am On Jan 15, 2009
seyibrown:

Where will these cameras' be installed? The 'Ajegunles' and the 'Oshodis'? Or the Highbrow areas?

Will these camera's be mounted where they can capture the Nigerian police/ MOPOL demanding and taking bribes from bus drivers?

Are these Camera's indesdtructible? A picture of some drunken thug dismantling the cameras comes to my mind.

Will those caught on camera be prosecuted for their crimes? Do the Nigerian courts accept video evidence?(Not very sure that they do)

This idea sounds to me like a bloody waste of time and money. [b]We don't need cameras, we need incorrupt law enforcement agents and government officials. I hope the monies for this project will be diverted to a more beneficial cause.[/b]
What do you suggest then?. We stay without cameras and continue living in stone age until christ comes?. No society has incorrupt law enforcement agencies.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 2:48am On Jan 15, 2009
Magz:

I don't think that the decision comes from the people running your country. Look up the term "Illuminati" and you will understand a little more why these types of programs are being implemented globally. It is the next step in an ongoing movement towards global slavery and elitist control.

I would go into it, but I cannot for security reasons.

embarassed
There is something not right about you. You come off as a street thug and these cameras may thwart your clandestine businesses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NGF Condemns Ondo Catholic Church Attack, Sympathises With Owo Community / Anambra's Igbo Language Bill / Police Chief Shuts Church Inside Police College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.