Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,022 members, 7,835,463 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation (10051 Views)

Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / 24-hr Curfew Imposed On Parts Of Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 3:07am On Jan 15, 2009
earTHMama:

What do you suggest then?. We stay without cameras and continue living in stone age until christ comes?. No society has incorrupt law enforcement agencies.

What the hell has CCTV/stone age/Urbanisation &Development got in common. In Paris, they dont really have as many CCTVs as th UK, does that make the UK more developed?? Please bring up logical reasons and stop this stone age thing you are on.

earTHMama:

999 from any phone and the cops will be there in less than 5 mins.

You are joking right?? 999!! E.T.A of 5 minutes!! Please tell me you are shitting me!! When was the last time you saw a Nigerian Police officer with a working radio that wasnt either on the state Governors security detail, an oil/private companies payroll or a bank. Even private security outfits have better switch boards and response time than the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Fire Service and Nigerian Emergency Medical team (Ambulance) combined. I have seen bullion vans bully there way through traffic one billion times over but a Firetruck would sit in a hold-up and infact clear for the bullion van to pass.

You hve to understand the there isa different between what is good and what is necessary.

Speed Cameras would be a good idea (especially in lagos), but do you want to know why that would be a dumb idea?? Where do you send the ticket to?? You have no data on the car, you cant match a plate to a name. e.t.c So how does that help anybody??

If the CCTVS are to decorate the streets of lagos, then thats alrite by me. But to tell me that it would work?? With the lagos I know now?? Thats just silly.

BRT - Brilliant idea
Computer village shake down - Cool
Oshodi Destruction - Beautiful
CCTV - Dumb, stupid and just dran foolish.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 3:12am On Jan 15, 2009
Okija_juju:

I remember when I was a ki and traffic lights were at some junctions in town, barely six months later, the poles were still there but the traffic lights werent working.

I remember those days. Lagos used to be a world class city. Traffic lights worked; streets lights and all worked. Then just over night, thieves stripped all the poles. I remember back when the third mainland bridge was barely two years old and there were reports that most all the street lights on the bridge were being stripped by thieves; people looking for anything to steal for anything they could get. I even remember news of some being electrocuted while trying to steel the lights and wires. lol
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Naijex: 3:35am On Jan 15, 2009
Se ikan ta ba wan so ni eleyi ni shocked
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by nigboy(m): 3:38am On Jan 15, 2009
I think this will improve security in Lagos State
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by skylooh(m): 4:01am On Jan 15, 2009
A bold step in the right direction, will definitly provide an atmosphere of security and an atmosphere of security will bring about investor confidence, and what does that mean ? More investment by multinational firms in lagos and that means more jobs for area boys and jobless grauduates and less crime and armed robbery cases as those jobless will be gainfull employed and that means food on the table for the family.
so did i hear someone say na cctv we go chop? Its a win win situation, so ladies and gentle men lets give it up to this young gov fashola while his fellow govenors are busy lootin their state treasury empty fashola is aggresively fighting to building lagos to a world class city.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 4:04am On Jan 15, 2009
so did i hear someone say na ccctv we go chop? Its a win win situation, so ladies and gentle men lets give it up to this young gov fashola while his fellow govenors are busy lootin their state treasury empty fashola is aggresively fighting to building lagos to a world class city
You de mind those haters?. If the govt does nothing, they'll complain; if the govt starts doing something, they'll still complain. bleeping Nigerians are very difficult to please.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by jingoma(m): 4:35am On Jan 15, 2009
OK
When the camera spots a crime in progress (assuming the camera has power) who is going to respond?, is it the same under/no paid constable that has to buy materials to go and sew his own uniform (cos all the well paid-well equipped policemen are busy following so called "dignitaries" around).Who? , Wait maybe its one of the officers that loaned his gun out to the culprits in the first place because he has not been paid in 3 months to allow the police boss to complete his mansions in Abuja and Lagos.
Print this post it on your calender for June 2009
All the cameras will have been installed (cheap Korean versions). The baba Alaye that is one of the governors buddy would have cashed his multi milliion dollar cheque and settled the appropriate peeps. Some will have been stolen by now, u know most of them are facing the politicians houses anyway. Hmm I forgot the control station has no power so they can not see the images transmitted from the few cameras working. Ehm "units 2 and 3 respond to a break in @ ?? WAIT!!! we dont even have a database of streets and cross junctions oh yeah "across from the petrol Station by the vulganizer shop"
My fault there is no petrol in the squad car. You know what, forget everything I said the camera works fine but there is no power in the area being videotaped so you cant see "ANYTHING" but it works!.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Nobody: 5:03am On Jan 15, 2009
Its a very good idea. It will reduce the rate of crime. Besides you guys shouldn't expect the CCTV Cameras to be installed in every street of Lagos. Its not impossible,  Even abroad its not like that.

It will be installed in places like Junctions, Traffic Control Areas, and some other important areas around the city,

We hoping for a better 9ja!

Bad Mouthed people concerning the projecT! Ema RUN DOWN! abi Abroad wey una dey,  na 1 day he develop?

Go Man FASHOLA!! You can do iT!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Reese1: 5:57am On Jan 15, 2009
I'm not sorry i'm not singing Fashola's praises but I do not rebuke his efforts either, but I believe the reason for a forum is to voice ur opinion and listen to that of others. And in my opinion Nigeria tries to be western more than it tries to grow.
If you have an outbreak of a disease you first find the cause before you can find the cure. If a person is hungry, desperate, with no job, feeling hopeless and fustrated, follow him around with a camera all day if you will, he will still commit crime because he has no other choice,  and he'll probably hate you for spending what could have fed him for a month on a fancy camera that does not solve anything instead keeps the citizen under the close watch of a currupt goverment.

This has to be posted again.

Then again, the plan will probably create jobs for quite a few people, guess we'll wait and see.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Nobody: 5:58am On Jan 15, 2009
I like this fashola guy; he sure knows how to hypnotize dumbs nigerians who think they are smart.
His magic is; notifying the media when making all the bold moves. It doesnt matter whether the time and direction are right or not for the moves. undecided

nigrians sure deserve who they get as leaders.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Treetop20(m): 6:00am On Jan 15, 2009
while the idea is "cute"
i do not know how well it will work out
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by sley4life(m): 6:06am On Jan 15, 2009
this would be an added advantage combating crime in lagos, but how effective is it. Where would the camera be cited,where would the camera tv be situated so that viewers can take a glimpse. If the camera tv is sited just in the police station then forget about it cos our cops arent effective to do the job alone. Our able governor is doing a good job and i wish him the best
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by bawomolo(m): 6:19am On Jan 15, 2009
goodness you guys trashed the idea before it has been initialized.  It's good to be objective but let the project get off the ground first. Rome wasn't built in a day so it's pretty crude to expect dramatic results.

lol@hottrash expecting naija popo to arrive in 15mins.  who dash money banana
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Beextra(m): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2009
skylooh:

A bold step in the right direction, will definitly provide an atmosphere of security and an atmosphere of security will bring about investor confidence, and what does that mean ? More investment by multinational firms in lagos and that means more jobs for area boys and jobless grauduates and less crime and armed robbery cases as those jobless will be gainfull employed and that means food on the table for the family.
so did i hear someone say na cctv we go chop? Its a win win situation, so ladies and gentle men lets give it up to this young gov fashola while his fellow govenors are busy lootin their state treasury empty fashola is aggresively fighting to building lagos to a world class city.

You nailed it mate ! Funny thing is most peeps wouldnt see it from that perspective ,until the fruits starts emerging. Security is a paramount factor a potential investor considers.Yes,cctv is not going to arrest anybody,but then information dissemination is very important to security.The police force is short of manpower especiallyy in lagos and that is a federal issue,The lagos state Govt. has little to do in this regard - hence its incentives to support policing in the state.

The present efforts of the lagos state govt should be applauded atleast for taking steps in the right direction ( eye & pocket servicing nothwithstanding) ,i was impressed with the state of development in lagos during my last visit,considering the poor support from the federal Govt. to its states.We all should be advocating how best to use these cctv to avoid crimes or better still survey crime activities in the metropolis in a view of avoiding future occurences.

Yes,fashola cant put food on the table of lagosians but he can help create a setting that will make it easier for lagosians to fend for themselves.

Yes,fashola cant achieve generating the required megawatts to enable constant power supply,but he can help attract/woo investors who will assist in independent power projects.

Truth be told,it is only natural for us to criticise - but then a person who only sees problems but no solutions : is the true definition of the word problem itself.The good thing is the present administration in Lagos listens,you did be suprised how far your advocacy can go.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 6:42am On Jan 15, 2009

You are joking right?? 999!! E.T.A of 5 minutes!! Please tell me you are shitting me!! When was the last time you saw a Nigerian Police officer with a working radio that wasnt either on the state Governors security detail, an oil/private companies payroll or a bank. Even private security outfits have better switch boards and response time than the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Fire Service and Nigerian Emergency Medical team (Ambulance) combined. I have seen bullion vans bully there way through traffic one billion times over but a Firetruck would sit in a hold-up and infact clear for the bullion van to pass.

No am not. The new ETA for cops in Abuja and lagos as at january 2009 is 5 mins. Ask any Nigerian resident. And please stop comparing the policemen in your village to those in lagos undecided
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Faru: 7:06am On Jan 15, 2009
It is really pathetic when our leaders dont know how to set their priorities right. Is this what Lagos need now? A city that has a bleeped up transport system! You spend several hours of your life in hold ups. Why cant he spend this fund to open up the water ways and provide the necessary facilities that would facilitate rapid development of that sector. You also have the rail system that is practically non existent. With the right political attitude, rail transportation can succeed in Lagos. Just the other day I wept profusely when Yar adua was talking about dredging d Niger n yet we dont have power, no rail system and roads are simply nightmares and death traps.

Anyway, Fashola is really tryin n one can see that he has difinite vision, plans and agenda for a Lagos unlike our Mr. President who is just a bunch of purposeless and confused soul. May Almighty God forgive OBJ.

Gamine where r thou? I need to reach u very urgently.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 7:20am On Jan 15, 2009
bawomolo:

goodness you guys trashed the idea before it has been initialized. It's good to be objective but let the project get off the ground first. Rome wasn't built in a day so it's pretty crude to expect dramatic results.

Rome was definitely not built in a day. But I can bet you that the dudes who built rome did not start with the colossuem.
Nobody is saying that we dont like CCTV, but is the question is does the state have the necessary infrastructure on ground to make the CCTV run effectively?? NO.
If they said Traffic Cameras, I wouldnt even be on this thread. But CCTV!! Like the one in the U.K?? Like the one in all subways in europe?? HELLZ NO. Not yet, not now.
I think he would be better remembered if we builds a solar or windmill farm on the atlantic ocean than to invest tax payers money in something that I know wouldnt work.

If he really wants to make lagos cool, then Intercity Tram sytem is the way to go. Build it and every lagosian or persn who gets into lagos from now on will be greatful to him.

earTHMama:

No am not. The new ETA for cops in Abuja and lagos as at january 2009 is 5 mins. Ask any Nigerian resident. And please stop comparing the policemen in your village to those in lagos undecided

I can swear that never in the history of Nigeria, not even before Independence has the E.T.A of any emergency service Nationwide (except Abuja) been under 30mins. I dont care if the Police station/Fire Service or Ambulance is located just outside your compound. No be Naija again!! You were really joking when you said 5mins. You cant even get from your room to your gate in 5mins in lagos.

My question is how does the switchboar reach the ground/patrol unit?? Cos I know that only 1 in 15 police officers actually have a walkie talkie. Only 1 in 8 patrol vehicles have a working radio, and the chance of a radio mounted unit/patrolman to be in your neighbourhood at he time of the crime, is , , , , cry
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2009
This issue has taken enough beating,
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 7:33am On Jan 15, 2009

I can swear that never in the history of Nigeria, not even before Independence has the E.T.A of any emergency service Nationwide (except Abuja) been under 30mins. I dont care if the Police station/Fire Service or Ambulance is located just outside your compound. No be Naija again!! You were really joking when you said 5mins. You cant even get from your room to your gate in 5mins in lagos.

My question is how does the switchboar reach the ground/patrol unit?? Cos I know that only 1 in 15 police officers actually have a walkie talkie. Only 1 in 8 patrol vehicles have a working radio, and the chance of a radio mounted unit/patrolman to be in your neighbourhood at he time of the crime, is , , , ,

I am telling you as of Jan 1 2009. Ask any Nigerian resident or tell them to call 999 and see whether the cops won't be there in less than 5 mins. Go home and discover for yourself that levels has changed.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2009
shotster50:

This issue has taken enough beating,

No it hasnt o!!

How can you buy the train before you bulid the tracks, and expect to use it.
How can you bu the aircraft before you build the Airport
How can you bey the ship before you build the port
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by FBS: 8:16am On Jan 15, 2009
Okija_juju:

No it hasnt o!!

How can you buy the train before you bulid the tracks, and expect to use it.
How can you bu the aircraft before you build the Airport
How can you bey the ship before you build the port
good questions but apparently fashola thinks it is cheaper or better to buy now and then later put the other necessary infastructures in place. grin
but jokes apart, this can really work moreso if it will be powered by solar.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Sapphic: 8:19am On Jan 15, 2009
Na with which electricity dem go take power am now? I am already laughing becos these cameras would soon turn up in those electronic shops in Alaba and Aba when all thos Ole don thief them finish. LOL.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by thetruth90: 8:45am On Jan 15, 2009
i swear this project would be worse than the nigcomsat1 project. the satelite dissappeared from orbit when the 4 - liter fuel in the tiger i better pass my neighbour generator finished. the cameras would all dissapear and be at alaba, ladipo and aba markets. grin
fashola should think of a better project to steal tax payers money. gbam!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by smooooooth: 9:47am On Jan 15, 2009
cameras on lagos street? that's laughable laudable
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 10:16am On Jan 15, 2009
Some people are just cynical, by nature!

Most of the people criticizing the project do so based on assumptions, 1.what will power the cameras? 2. the cameras will get stolen etc
why not get answers from the right quarters before making your rash conclusions? Do you know if provisions have been made for these concerns?

Some called it a misplaced priority. So you want Fashola to divert Security Trust Fund money to something other than security?
Are you saying CCTV installation is the only security measure being taken by the govt? Since Fashola can not, by law, employ more police men, shouldnt he deploy technology to reduce the effect of the insufficiency?

If there are other things, which u consider more urgent and important than the CCTV project, please state them here, or better still, send your suggestions to the government.

Criticism is good when it's done constructively. The bottomline should be ''the betterment of our society'''. I have not seen this virtue in many of the posters- Kobojunkie (or trashie grin) et al.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by kemisuga(f): 10:42am On Jan 15, 2009
Well!!! It is good to hear this. smiley
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by presido1: 10:43am On Jan 15, 2009
@fyneguy

This is not a question of criticism but reality. Some people asked a simple question which non of u in support of the project refused to answer.

What will power the Cameras? If its finger battery then their is 90% chance it will work but if its Generator or PHCN their is 90% chance it will fail.  
Again who responds when their is crime in an area spotted by the cameras? Private security outfit(PSO) or NPF grin grin grin?
Do 999 or 122 work in Nigeria? how do we radio the PSO or NPF.

We should address all the questions first b4 the camera otherwise the workability of the project will be like one of them Nigerian things.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 11:01am On Jan 15, 2009
@Presido

Why do you expect me to answer the questions? Let them ask Fashola those questions! and until the questions are answered, the failure of the project is a probability and not a fact!

There's a difference between "This project may fail if, " and "hehehehehe another white elephant project, is this what we need now?'' etc
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by presido1: 11:15am On Jan 15, 2009
fyneguy:

@Presido
Let them ask Fashola those questions!

Tell me u are not kidding me dude. It will be very easy and achieveable to ask Obama question from Nigeria than to ask Fash question even if u are in Alausa.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 11:32am On Jan 15, 2009
@Presido

here you go again, thinking Fashola is not approachable/reachable. If you asked nicely, you could be furnished with Fashola's contact info-email addy, telephone numbers etc.

Let's desist from making subjective statements.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by kumbalo(m): 12:15pm On Jan 15, 2009
i can only hope it works considering te PHCN Wahala. i think it a good initiative.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 12:35pm On Jan 15, 2009
Now, kumbalo has spoken well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Heavy Gunfire Reported In Yobe / Fasehun And I Proposed For S’west Pipeline Security Contract – Gani Adams / Alaafin Turns Down Akala Request For Courtesy Visit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.