Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation (10058 Views)

Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / 24-hr Curfew Imposed On Parts Of Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 8:46pm On Jan 14, 2009
lucabrasi:

the only sensible comment, and i was almost giving up

and where in the article does it say it is solar powered? u better start giving up.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 8:48pm On Jan 14, 2009
must_a_far:

and where in the article does it say it is solar powered? u better start giving up.

U know we too know now.
lol
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by oderemo(m): 8:56pm On Jan 14, 2009
in London there are well over 25000 cameras watching every moves at a huge cost to the tax payers, now serious crime is committed somewhere , camera zoom in and what do you see ? a fuzzy face of the criminal which is unrecognisable, unattainable in court and you now wonder what is the point? in Lagos i will wait to see the point.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Jan 14, 2009
ode remo:

in London there are well over 25000 cameras watching every moves at a huge cost to the tax payers, now serious crime is committed somewhere , camera zoom in and what do you see ? a fuzzy face of the criminal which is unrecognisable, unattainable in court and you now wonder what is the point? in Lagos i will wait to see the point.

I so wonder why have camera's at all if you are not going to have decent camera's able to produce sharp images for better use. Hate it when they come on Tv with those annoying pictures asking if you recognise the person in the video. roflmao!!

And you are right about the huge cost to taxpayers, but I want to take a wait and see approach on this. It might work (if the man already has plans on where the money should come from). I mean ordinarily streaming video live over the net costs a huge lot, talk less of live feeds from 10,000 cameras, all over a country where power and everything else seems to cost an arm and a leg.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by lucabrasi(m): 9:01pm On Jan 14, 2009
must_a_far:

wats your pointso your genius idea is to totally give  up on nigeria and any government initiatives just because theres a chance of failure, how many times did edison try and fail before inventing the light bulb?i bet if he was nigerian many of the ppl on here will have dubbed him crazy
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by lucabrasi(m): 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

U know we too know now.
lol
i hope that wasnt inffering to me sir
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 9:03pm On Jan 14, 2009
lucabrasi:

wats your pointso your genius idea is to totally give  up on nigeria and any government initiatives just because theres a chance of failure, how many times did edison try and fail before inventing the light bulb?i bet if he was nigerian many of the ppl on here will have dubbed him crazy

You cannot compare the two can you? Pure Science and Politics!!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by hajifaty: 9:04pm On Jan 14, 2009
ode remo:

I think this is a good move by the govt to eradicate some petty crimes within the metropolis. Here  even has  abt 1m cctv right from the corner of your elevator to the streeet even toilet and clubs. though its really working with their systems here but I doubt naija. Infact there are some guys that will just pull out the cctv and sell its spare parts for Alaba market. May go help us ooo
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by lucabrasi(m): 9:06pm On Jan 14, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

You cannot compare the two can you? Pure Science and Politics!!!
its not about comparison, no one is interested in the merits and demerits of science to politics,its about an individual or government trying to do things in a totally different way from the norm,that alone is enough to give him kudos and encouragement rather than pouring scorn and sarcasm on him!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 9:07pm On Jan 14, 2009
the feeds are not going to be over the www abeg, what are the old nitel lines there for. i kEEd! but seriously though, do we iron out every rough edges on any project we decide to carry out. be it our NUKULAR power project, SATALITE project, FREE EDUCATION project, MASS TRANSIT project, b4 u respond to me kicking and screaming i know not all rough edges would be known until the project is executed to some level but i sure darn know that,(do i sound like alaska Gov or wat) some basic rough edges accompany them from conception.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by oderemo(m): 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2009
i don't know how every one think you hate Nigeria each time you want to know details of a project, i love Nigeria like the other guy if not more but the point is you think deep each time you see this projects and say to yourself of what benefit is this to the common man, give you an example come to Lagos during the raining season you will need a canoe to not a sat nav to navigate your way , is that not a bigger fish to fry for government or is that a Federal project as the normal excuse?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 9:19pm On Jan 14, 2009
ode remo:

i don't know how every one think you hate Nigeria each time you want to know details of a project, i love Nigeria like the other guy if not more but the point is you think deep each time you see this projects and say to yourself of what benefit is this to the common man, give you an example come to Lagos during the raining season you will need a canoe to not a sat nav to navigate your way , is that not a bigger fish to fry for government or is that a Federal project as the normal excuse?

lol. . .  That is the problem with the Nigerian mentality. We do not give people the freedom to do that. We are quick to put them down as detractors and naysayers, simply for trying to make sure we look at the 360 of things before we take the plunge. In many of these minds, there does not exist that ability to accept criticism as just that, criticism. Either you pledge all your love and might to Nigeria in every statement by accepting as good all things Nigeria, no matter how insane Or you are a detractor/a naysayer/a hater/ a pessimist/ doom sayer etc

roflmao!!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 9:20pm On Jan 14, 2009
lucabrasi:

Mr. Lucab, , why r u comparing how we come about orange juice and how orange juicy is used. theres a difference between giving up on nigeria and what we are doing.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2009
lucabrasi:

its not about comparison, no one is interested in the merits and demerits of science to politics,its about an individual or government trying to do things in a totally different way from the norm,that alone is enough to give him kudos and encouragement rather than pouring scorn and sarcasm on him!!

It has nothing to do do with merits and demerits, the tempting question though is "does CCTV bring food to the table"?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 9:23pm On Jan 14, 2009
hajifaty:

Infact there are some guys that will just pull out the cctv and sell its spare parts for Alaba market. May go help us ooo
You again?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by PapaBrowne(m): 9:26pm On Jan 14, 2009
The deterrent factor is enough to reduce crime in Lagos dramatically!

Cameras are rarely used to catch thieves. Their main purpose is to serve as a deterrent!

Concerning power, that would definitely be an obstacle, but not a big one.
There are cameras that come with UPS backing.

Didn't you hear that all the street lights in Warri are powered  without NEPA and they function perfectly twelve 12hrs nightly.
If Delta state can do it for streetlights, why not Lagos for Cameras!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2009
The deterrent factor is enough to reduce crime in Lagos dramatically!

Cameras are rarely used to catch thieves. Their main purpose is to serve as a deterrent!

DETER WHAT! ok maibe but very very minute. if its to deter crime, then they might as well install dummy camera's on every street. i t would sure cost a lot lessssssssssssssss.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by oderemo(m): 9:31pm On Jan 14, 2009
@ papabrowne

i will like you to repeat this in 10 months time,

about reducing crime, cctv does not reduce crime its the high PROBABILITY of going to jail that reduces crime all over the world.  so if cctv catches a sanator son/daughter commiting crime you r now telling me  he will go down,pull another one matey,
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by hajifaty: 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2009
Our people sef, is cctv a deterrent tool or security tools. So cctv don turn to jail or other means of purnishment for naija huh
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2009
I'm back.

Lets look at how CCTV works in developed countries like U.K, France, U.S, Switzerland, Italy e.t.c.

First of all the Cameras are mounted and connected to a central survillance post. Since they have constant power supply, the cameras are always on and working. Since the streets are well lighted, There are few dark hiding places. 95% of their police officers are equiped with a walkie talkie (Radio) and are hooked to the same frequency, respones time is faster. These countries also have a very large database system which contain vital information on each person like Name, Picture, Residence, Social Security Number, Outstanding warrants, previous violations/offences, credit rating, e.t.c, it is easy to look through their records and find detailed information on the face of a suspect caught on camera, hence making racking and apprehension easy. Disciplined Police and law enforcement who will respond promptly to an emergency call.

I could go on and on. . . . . .

Now what in this picture sounds like what you can find in Lagos?? The Cameras would probably stop working right after their warranty expires, the people in charge of monitoring the cameras would be so lackadaisical that they would be busy doing everything but watching the cameras. Even if they find a crime in progress, by the time they phone a police station, and they get to their switch board, and the switchboard in turn finds the nearest patrol car with a working radio, and by the time the patrol car navigates the hold-ups, and corner streets filled with pot-holes and finally manages to arrive on the scene, the suspects/criminal would have long fled the scene. And with no database with which to match the pictures, it all amounts to rubbish.
Meanwhile, some civil servants are being payed by the government with tax payers money to do nothing and some government officials are busy making mad money off this.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by oderemo(m): 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2009
that is exactly the point of public debate , not when one govt. official think oh that is good for them without CONSULTING US, the people.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 9:42pm On Jan 14, 2009
they do not have to consult US on matters of security, they didnt consult u before they made laws against carrying liquid onto a plane. or before searching ur bags at the airport for contraband and making u walk thru metal detectors.

rant over, what they need to do is think of all the possible ways a project could be flawed and address them before executing such. it is part of the planning process.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Jan 14, 2009
How come we did not get to vote For or Against Big Brother? I don't remember my LGA calling a meeting to have us Vote on whether we want cameras or not . . .     embarassed

roflmao!!

I am not sure where to go to find the plan for this so I can follow each step of it's implementation. I see this taking at least 36 months to implement the base needed to have a functional CCTV system in Lagos. This is considering the population and the amount of data and work to go into making lagos CCTV ready. But It would be exciting to watch and see how this goes. Is it what Lagos needs now? Not sure I can say yes on that. But will it benefit Lagos in the future? Maybe!

I am excited cause this might open the door for business for me oo. But ignore the selfish angle here ,  lol
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Okijajuju1(m): 9:54pm On Jan 14, 2009
White elephant project.

with the population in lagos, do you know how many cameas it would take to monitor the streets of lagos effectively??

I would think that any wise government would be investing if infrastuctural developments like rail and inter-city tram systems.
My kid brother hasnt seen a single train since he came back to the country 8 months ago.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 9:58pm On Jan 14, 2009
just 8 months! wat then should those that live next to a major train stop say about not even hearing a trains noise not to talk of seeing.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by oderemo(m): 10:00pm On Jan 14, 2009
even me that live in alagomeji for yrs.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by shotster50(m): 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2009
I think this is a case of misplaced priorities. No doubt Fashola has good intentions but I think there are more pressing projects that need his attention than this 'eye service', cheap PR seeking antics.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2009
shotster50:

I think this is a case of misplaced priorities. No doubt Fashola has good intentions but I think there are more pressing projects that need his attention than this 'eye service', cheap PR seeking antics.
Cheers mate. I owe you a pint for that opinion.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On Jan 14, 2009
shotster50:

*** PUTS ON ATTACK-CAP ***

Abeg no bad mouth the program Ooo. What do you mean by misplaced priority? Any plan that could potentially fill my pocket with millions, even if it is at the expense of poor lagosians is a Priority ooo!!! Spend that energy praying that at least 50 of the 10,000 CCTV camera's work or stay in service. I have this business plan to take advantage of them, no matter how small. hackers unite! lol

grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by bronxdog: 10:46pm On Jan 14, 2009
what foolsih way people think - i look at the names and ocation of people who has said nothing good about the project and i notice they all live outside the country, just like i do, but i thank God I dont reason upside down like they do, I havent let the cold and sufferness abroad changed my love for my country and actually to change my way of thinking as a human being. I looked at the various reasons they have adduced and i just shake my head in awe, these people are people who havent been in Nigeria for how many years and they think it is still business as usual - my prayers is that, to all those berating the project and crying it will not work, may it never happen when they are still alive, may it happen, we will enjoy it, and to those who said it wont work, may it happen over their dead bodies.

Fashola, you just surprise us one day after the other, see what you have turned Lagos into? You are the best, leave them, they are angered because they think you are doing what they can only think about - dont you see, they are ashamed it is happening in a country they ran away from, they think only their white masters can do it, they think we cant do it, i say, it will happen over their dead bodies.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 10:46pm On Jan 14, 2009
shotster50:

and with that single statement, shotster50 has joined the detractors/naysayers club. grin welcome my friend welcome!

we need the emoticon that would represent everything from LOL to LMAOROTFLMAO TILL I WOUNDJURE.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Jan 14, 2009
Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Seriously, @Seun. We need better emotes in here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gunfight Erupts Near Dala Police Station In Kano / Impeachment Of Buhari Not What We Need – Afenifere / Is TB Joshua Now Twisting His Prophecy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.