Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation (10055 Views)

Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / 24-hr Curfew Imposed On Parts Of Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2009
@Topic
If anyone had any doubt whether Fashola is insane or not, this is proof. Imagine what could have been done for the people with all that money.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2009
another pennywise poundfoolish poster!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by MadMax1(f): 1:28pm On Jan 15, 2009
fyneguy:

another pennywise poundfoolish poster!
LMAO! grin
Now that's funny.
Lagos is getting the kind of government the whole country derserves. Is the man great or what? South Africa introduced something like that in J'burg's central business disctrict. Police response time was one minute. It slashed crime in that area by the frigging throat. But a whole state? Brave, wonderful initiative. You are so getting another term in that state,Fash.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 2:04pm On Jan 15, 2009
@Max

God bless you for that post.

Even if it wouldnt cover the whole state, flashpoints can be identified, atleast to begin with.

What matters is the project plan and implementation. I strongly believe, and by God's grace, if only for the genuineness of purpose, the
project will be successful.

We all have roles to play in this regard. It may be your advice, giving information on criminals etc. Let's all contribute our quotas towards a better Lagos, and by extension, Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 2:23pm On Jan 15, 2009
It is pointless wasting my time here stating the obvious. This is a state where most bridges have no railings because they have been excised and sold for food. By Fashola's own admission, the project has failed by saying that 30,000 men cant police 18 million people. Why the hell CCTV?This policy surely brings out for all to see the quality of governance that state is getting. I mean it is ludicrous.

It calls to question the issue of succession into public office in Nigeria.Not enough attention is being paid to pedigree and background.The highest offices go to the loudest, visionless praise singers who wouldnt rock the boat.Looking beyond Fashola at the lady behind him- a level 8 school teacher with zero background, uninspiring information commissioner I knew way back, infact the entire cabinet has zilch to offer.They should reverse their step immediately if the want to be taken seriously.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2009
Pennywise:

This is a state where most bridges have no railings because they have been excised and sold for food.

Exactly my major point. Does CCTV bring food to the table? Even, how could CCTV spot the black people at night where there's no light most of the times. We surely need super-CCTV.

cheesy
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 2:45pm On Jan 15, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Exactly my major point. Does CCTV bring food to the table? Even, how could CCTV spot the black people at night where there's no light most of the times. We surely need super-CCTV.
cheesy
Of course you have to assume that Lagos will come under some imaginary flood lights at night, that wont go off (this is where you cant have light for 6 str hrs day or night).
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2009
There are more creative ways to embezzle money without making people think you are stupid. Let them consult pennywise.My rate is minimal.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Myself2(m): 2:56pm On Jan 15, 2009
@ Bee oh ess ess and Pennywise,
Give Governor Fash a break already,if you live in or been to Lagos recently,you cannot help but see the glaring monumental infrastructural developments taking place in the four cardinals of the state.

Have you ever wondered if the story of that Okere lady that was brutalised by those naval bastards would have received such widespread outcry and condemnation if it were not captured on tape?

Your worry should not be whether the project is neccessary now or not (as it is so very necessary),but how it's going to operate cuz even the solar power being canvassed by some posters cannot function round the clock and in all seasons

Oh,talking about putting food on the table,well, get out as my friend is wont to say
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2009
@Boss

You want Fashola to provide food on the tables of 18 million Lagosians, who got to Lagos without visa?

Ok! if you were the Governor of Lagos, how would you provide food on the tables of 18 million people, bearing in mind the whole country may empty into Lagos, the next minute, as nobody requires visa to enter Lagos?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by sherrylo: 3:09pm On Jan 15, 2009
Pennywise biko post something reasonable here or you keep your crazy condemnations to your self!. The road to your state is still wide open!.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by BOSS7: 3:23pm On Jan 15, 2009
fyneguy:

@Boss

You want Fashola to provide food on the tables of 18 million Lagosians, who got to Lagos without visa?

Ok! if you were the Governor of Lagos, how would you provide food on the tables of 18 million people, bearing in mind the whole country may empty into Lagos, the next minute, as nobody requires visa to enter Lagos?
I like your optimism about this project and respect your opinion on a lot of threads however, the masses are struggling on a daily basis that even to feed themselves is a chore (you've surely heard of the often used mantra 0-0-1, 1-0-1, 0-0-1 etc when it comes to how people are feeding themselves). I'm not against the project I just think it's a case of misplaced priorities just like a lot of others here have said.

I personally would support a project that would rather increase the means of livelihood before that of security. At least light and water for the masses before CCTV.

fyneguy:

I think this is a collective responsibility of our so called leaders and if people could feed themselves without having to die because of a loaf of bread, then I doubt people could want to rush to Lagos just to look at CCTVs.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by fyneguy: 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2009
@Boss

I quite understand your feelings towards poverty alleviation. However, I seek to find out from you what you think, in specific terms, Fashola can do to alleviate poverty in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by mustafar1: 3:48pm On Jan 15, 2009
Nobody is hoping for this project to fail. we are only helping point out things that if done would enable it succeed.

there are camera's stationed on carter bridge, a car looses control, flips a few times and ends up in the water because there are no guard rails on the bridge to help hold it back. by the way, all this was caught on camera. what would be the advantage of catching it on camera while it happened, if LASAMBUS, cannot reach the scene in the next 5 minutes, to get the victims out of the water before they drown, lets assume the impact of the flips wasn't enough to take their lives. by the way, non of the LASAMBUS service personnel knows how to swim.

before projects are executed, you cover all bases. equipping an ambulance service by buying equipment is not the alpha and omega of things. equipping them with the needed training is what would better assist. what is the use of a semi automatic weapon provided to police when the handling officer doesnt know how to unlock it when it gets jams in a crisis situation.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2009
must_a_far:

Nobody is hoping for this project to fail. we are only helping point out things that if done would enable it succeed.

there are camera's stationed on carter bridge, a car looses control, flips a few times and ends up in the water because there are no guard rails on the bridge to help hold it back. by the way, all this was caught on camera. what would be the advantage of catching it on camera while it happened, if LASAMBUS, cannot reach the scene in the next 5 minutes, to get the victims out of the water before they drown, lets assume the impact of the flips wasn't enough to take their lives. by the way, non of the LASAMBUS service personnel knows how to swim.

Where things are done properly, Fashola will be held criminally liable, tried and sent to jail for misapplying funds and causing wrongful death.All these exitement about CCTV will probably last 3mths but the negative consequences will last for years. Its hard to imagine how a state blessed with some of the best brains will end up with these.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by thetruth90: 4:00pm On Jan 15, 2009
must_a_far:

before projects are executed, you cover all bases. equipping an ambulance service by buying equipment is not the alpha and omega of things. equipping them with the needed training is what would better assist. what is the use of a semi automatic weapon provided to police when the handling officer doesnt know how to unlock it when it gets jams in a crisis situation.

yes, a gun without bullets is just a walking stick. the cameras would add nothing but aesthetic value to the streets of lagos (before they are all vandalized and stolen  grin). but is it the case that when one gets to high office his/her level of reasoning diminishes?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Jan 15, 2009
Do not bite me ooo, I found your question interesting and decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. Here's hoping you will actually answer some of the questions asked by some of the people on here instead of continuing to attack those who do not see this the way you do @Fyneguy

1) Education and High level skill Acquisition programs for all ages and levels --- It is known that education is the key to progress. You educate the people and make sure that people have needed skills to better compete in the global, and you will have investors and companies actually coming in to the scene and hiring locals to do the jobs that would have gone expatriates.
Now I understand there are many who do not believe education is the key to development in that country but I ask that you be patient with me here as I try hard to explain how this is likely to work. We used to have technical schools for people of all ages who wanted to learn new skills, as well as how to read. I would look into those schools again and maybe improve on the programs as well as make them more flexible so Iya alakara can take out time to attend 3 or 4 classes during the week. If Iya Alakara can through these classes network with other akara makers and then make a decision to partner with these to open a new restaurant, applying the new cooking skills or business skills acquired during the times she participated in the program, her business may grow to a point where she hires on more hands to help out and we have more people employed.

Improving education is bound to put more food on the table than all the cameras in all of Nigeria combined have done so far. Upgrading and computerizing the system will go a long way in helping reduce exam malpractice and cases of teachers raping students for grades will with that. Education is the reason why Ghana is where it is today. More and more of the people actually get access to free high level education from the government. I know it will not make sense to some that education is the way to move the people up but ponder the idea a bit. You educate the

2) Rebuilding of Infrastructure -- I am not talking of plastering already decaying structures with cement and glue, and then painting these structures. I am talking of tearing down and rebuilding some of the schools and basically providing some world class structures ( Not necessarily with all the bells and whistles). I attended Isiu Grammar school. Was shocked when I got a picture of the place recently, showing how the structures are so bad that I know na God dey hold those things up.

3) Upgrading of the police force at least their operation within the state( Serious Training needed). Sure CCTV can help with security but so many huge cities around the world have been able to do the same without CCTV. I am not sure Lagos needs to be turned into a London replica before we can get security.
I currently live in a city that does not have CCTV. We keep voting against it, even traffic cams are rare here because people do not want Government going too far. We get a vote each year and sure we now have some cameras but there is still great resistance to the idea. Now this city is 100 safer to live in than I can say of Lagos. Was in the state only a couple of weeks ago and slept with one eye open all that time.

To The person that pointed out the Johannesburg CCTV project as example. You failed to mention the fact that Jo’burg already had basic amenities, and a good police force, in place, to work with those CCTVs that were installed.

4) Ensuring basic Amenities exist to the people. . . The guy has done better than his predecessor in the area of improving healthcare. I will give him that. He has also done better in fixing many of the roads and maybe the BRT system. I don't ride buses anymore but I do notice that traffic jams are still a problem to be addressed. I would like him to counter the issue of water supply in that state. We are surrounded by water but water is an expensive commodity in the state. Water, Health, good roads, Power supply, these are essentials that need to be tackled head on, right from the go.

After the basics, all things else, including CCTV, Beautification/Mega city dreams, and banning child hawkers during school hours will be bonus. I mean improving on the above areas alone will help put millions of lagosians in jobs that street hawkers, okada riders and the sort will basically vanish in time.

Like someone already pointed out, this is not about wanting this project to fail. I just do not believe we are there yet but I am willing to take advantage of it should it materialize. Now, I await your rebuttle @fyneguy. If you are inclined to insult me instead, may I suggest you not respond at all
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2009
Excellent, well scripted. You are at least 10 times more visionary than anyone in Fashola's cabinet and would have done a whole lot better governing Lagos. But perhaps you should have made waste disposal your No 1 objective because Lagosians are practically soffocating in their own waste-all sorts.The worst form of pollution is to be found in that city.CCTV ko.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by sherrylo: 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2009
Security is very important! and if this is really going to work,why not?whats the point having healthy face,fine sunglasses when your head is not secured?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by IykeD1(m): 4:26pm On Jan 15, 2009
This is a complete waste of money and definitely a misplaced priority. I guess someone was asked to devise
a brand new project that is yet to be done in Nigeria at least on that scale, and bam here you go!  Watch,
how other states will be following suit.  The "people" behind this has "hammered" to put it nicely.

There are rarely any shortcuts in life.  Somehow our leaders think they can magically scale over the endless
basic problems that is afflicting our societies to implement projects that brings us up to par with the advanced
nations.  We are wasting our time as a people until our leaders learn that you can't skip something as basic
as building roads.  I mean, if you can't even build or maintain ordinary roads what other meaningful project
can you implement SUCCESSFULLY?  I have not even mentioned power? Nevermind.

The question is how do they plan to respond to the nice pictures that are going to be streaming live from all
parts of Lagos to this command center?  Just sit there and enjoy it? Even if the cameras are solar powered,
is the command center solar powered too?  What about fuel for the RRS or are their vehicles solar powered
too?  Do the RRS have their own special roads that they travel on during emergencies or will the emergencies
be scheduled?

People, its not about ego or knocking anything Nigeria, but there is a reason while humans crawl, walk, and
then run in that order.  Not sure I know of anyone who went straight from crawling to running!  By the way
have they recovered that satellite in space yet?
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 4:30pm On Jan 15, 2009
sherry lo:

Security is very important! and if this is really going to work,why not?whats the point having healthy face,fine sunglasses when your head is not secured?
The only way this is going to work if the CCTV apprehends the armed robber and sentence him on the spot.Stop being naive.Which kind sherry you be sef.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2009
sherry lo:

@Sherry Baby, CCTV does not spell SECURITY. Having CCTVs installed, even in everyone's bathroom does not ensure security. Security is a service to be provided by the police force. If the police force remains untrained, underpayed, chances are all we will have are cameras and same old security situation. Just felt to point that out.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
CCTV aint all that. Sometimes I dey wonder whether na man or women I dey see for my CCTV. And na latest O. Latest. grin
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Muza(m): 4:54pm On Jan 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Sherry Baby, CCTV does not spell SECURITY. Having CCTVs installed, even in everyone's bathroom does not ensure security. Security is a service to be provided by the police force. If the police force remains untrained, underpayed, chances are all we will have are cameras and same old security situation. Just felt to point that out.
I agree wit u.
The govt is putting the cart b4 the horse.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 5:01pm On Jan 15, 2009
There is no cart. There is no horse.Just pure waste of funds and outright thievery by an unimaginative bunch. This is possible b/c they have pple like NL self styled fynegy as subject.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by seyibrown(f): 5:09pm On Jan 15, 2009
@ Pennywise

You are just wicked! grin grin No cart, no horse? grin grin grin ROFL!
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 5:17pm On Jan 15, 2009
May be Fashola will soon install infra red detectors in every nook and cranny of lagos. Go Fashola
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Pennywise(m): 5:22pm On Jan 15, 2009
seyibrown:

@ Pennywise

You are just wicked! grin grin No cart, no horse? grin grin grin ROFL!

The wicked one is Fashola. He steals from the masses and somehow he is able to keep that smile. You need to beware of pple with a coy smile.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by earTHMama: 5:33pm On Jan 15, 2009
The wicked one is Fashola. He steals from the masses and somehow he is able to keep that smile. You need to beware of pple with a coy smile.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by sherrylo: 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2009
@ pennywise I am very good Sherry!

@Kobojunkie, yes security is a service to be provided by police but the CCTV is going to be a aid to make it easier and quicker to prosecute.Its going to make prosecution easier and cases where CCTV has covered the crime clearer to the jury or don't you believe in video evidences? thus saving the government money from numerous jury sittings without decision.
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by TPS360: 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2009
surveillance camera in lagos state? really? they will probably be stolen shortly after installation, There is no way to track down a criminal seen committing crime on camera when there is no social security number/ state id to match the face captured on camera,
Re: Lagos Launches 24-hr Surveillance Camera Operation by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Jan 15, 2009
sherry lo:

@ pennywise I am very good Sherry!

@Kobojunkie, yes security is a service to be provided by police but the CCTV is going to be a aid to make it easier and quicker to prosecute.Its going to make prosecution easier and cases where CCTV has covered the crime clearer to the jury or don't you believe in video evidences? thus saving the government money from numerous jury sittings without decision.

I agree that CCTV will aid in all the above, but the base problems still exist. Take for instance the situation with guns and the Lagos policeman. Sure, guns aid in catching of criminals but due to the fact that the policemen themselves are not properly trained and equipped with the basic skills needed to interact with the public, we hear of horror stories, more often than not, of how these guns are used against the very people they were supposed to protect.

I am not sure the government looses near as much money on numerous jury sittings as it does on managing a sparsely skilled police force. I currently live in a city with no CCTV. We have a highly skilled police force however that gets the job done the best it can. Now this force already has a huge database of information to help it do it’s job more efficiently and dispatch policemen to locations as quickly as possible. Now, adding CCTV to the mix here will definitely make a difference; this is only because we already have in place the basics, which is a skilled force geared at least 90% at ensuring the city is secure at all times. Lagos on the other hand does not have the basic structure in place. Adding CCTV will be, in my opinion, another aesthetic move that might in the end result in waste of revenue we so sorely need right now in other areas of the economy. However, I am hoping this man has other plans to train the force. It has been over a year since the British police volunteered their service to train our policemen. I read that is in progress but I am yet to see change in the force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Adeyemi Ikuforiji (Lagos Speaker) In EFCC Custody Over 7 Billion Naira Fraud / Nigerians: Cameroon Troops Burned Our Village, Forced Us Out- Associated Press / DSS Arrests Moroofat Omolola Obanikoro, Releases Her Later

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.