Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,598 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (101002 Views)

Nigeria Historical Facts: Who Are The Egbas?? / Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 6:39pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Ehmmm, I dont stay in Kwara, so I wouldnt know much. But I'm certain it doesnt fit Saraki's clan anylonger. That jinx needs to be broken. sad

OK MAM. Let hope it will be broken this time around.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by zimoni(f): 6:39pm On Apr 08, 2015
AFONJA WAS THE MOST BRAINLESS AND USELESS YORUBAMAN EVER LIVETH.

HE WAS A BASTARD 100%.

I'VE ALWAYS TOLD PEOPLE THAT ILORIN WAS NEVER CONQUERED, OYO ARMY WAS TOO POWERFUL AT THE TIME FOR SUCH THING TO OCCUR. RATHER A PALACE COUP WAS EXECUTED AND THE STEWPEED KING WAS MURDERED.

TOO BADT.

TOO BADT.

AFONJA CAUSED THIS NANSENSE.

NANSENSE.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 6:41pm On Apr 08, 2015
mzteemarh:
yes im from ilorin.
I think the story of betrayal is just a fallacy to create hatred among the yorubas and fulanis.
Well *shrugs im not sure though.
I don't think it fallacy base on the stories have heard.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 08, 2015
mzteemarh:
Hehe my town kiss I don't why people do say Alimi betrayed Afoja undecided
BTW,olukenzo come and see o.

See whatu o? grin
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 6:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
blym4real:

OK MAM. Let hope it will be broken this time around.

Yea hopefully smiley ...
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 6:46pm On Apr 08, 2015
zimoni:

HE WAS A BASTARD 100%.

I'VE ALWAYS TOLD PEOPLE THAT ILORIN WAS NEVER CONQUERED, OYO ARMY WAS TOO POWERFUL AT THE TIME FOR SUCH THING TO OCCUR. RATHER A PALACE COUP WAS EXECUTED AND THE STEWPEED KING WAS MURDERED.

TOO BADT.

TOO BADT.

NANSENSE.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

This Bro dey vex ooo cheesy
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
olukenzo:

See whatu o? grin
lol aren't you the one that normally argue with me that we are more of fulani than yoruba in ilorin.
I thought maybe you will find the thread interesting smiley
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by zimoni(f): 6:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

This Bro dey vex ooo cheesy

I dey vex bajebaje. I'm Ijesha, that would never have happened in Ijeshaland layelaye. My people will rather die there, I trust my people.

Afonja had no sense whatsoever. We Yorubas are known for being Strategists, Afonja was a complete FOOL.

Baskart.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
mzteemarh:
lol aren't you the one that normally argue with me that we are more of fulani than yoruba in ilorin.
I thought maybe you will find the thread interesting smiley

Adonbelieveit!
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Dragonking: 6:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Ewwww... puke puke puke undecided

As if you don't like it. undecided continue licking joor. grin
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
blym4real:

I don't think it fallacy base on the stories have heard.
well maybe/maybe not but I think we should let go already.
it is just a thing that happened long time ago,fallacy or not.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
olukenzo:

Adonbelieveit!
common be serious joor tongue
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 7:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
mzteemarh:
well maybe/maybe not but I think we should let go already.
it is just a thing that happened long time ago,fallacy or not.
The fact is we are united in kwara even thou the emirate believe they are superior to we yorubas in kwara.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by macof(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
oathman:
What u fail to realise is that ilorin is a border between the north and the south. Are ona kankafo was sent to war by Alaafin but he failed nd he can't go back to Oyo so he settled down at the border. Alaafin thought he betray him nd wage war against his best warrior. Are ona kankafo realising that the Oyo empire ll defeat him, ask for support and Alliance from the north( not only the fulanis but also the nupes otherwise known as tapa in yoruba) wch re predominantly muslims. To cut my long story short, after the war the ilorin town bcums a settlement for all of them. The fulanis were more organised than the yorubas due to there ways of lyf, they pray togeda, they have Amir(later bcum Emir) nd by this they were able to convert majority of the yorubas to muslims, so when Are ona kankafo died and they av to choose a leader, due to the fact dat majority are now muslims they chose there Amir to be the leader.......PROUD ILORIN BOY

Actually he carried out the order and returned to his home in Ilorin, as Baale of Illorin and Are Ona Kankanfo he lived outside Oyo-ile
he told the Oyo mesi all the ridiculous things Alaafin Awole told him to do and said he had had enough. The oyo mesi also finding other faults with Awole like cursing and aggression later removed the Alaafin prompting his suicide as was tradition
but before that, Afonja had already made plans for Ilorin's independence...this didn't include calling on other nations but he used slaves of Hausa, fulani and Nupe descent and Yoruba muslims led by Solagberu
That's why Awole cursed Afonja to be slaves to slaves before he died

Never have majority of Yorubas been muslims...unless you mean those who relocated to Ilorin cus all of them were muslims not just majority
Islam made them betray their nation Oyo

The first invitation of the sultanate to Ilorin was by Abdulsalami, son of Alimi to build up after initial attacks from other Yoruba nations

@OP Fulani from sokoto did join Ilorin to invade Yorubaland but thanks to Ibadan they were dealt with and the Yoruba traitors caught were beheaded
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 7:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
zimoni:

I dey vex bajebaje. I'm Ijesha, that would never have happened in Ijeshaland layelaye. My people will rather die there, I trust my people.

Afonja had no sense whatsoever. We Yorubas are known for being Strategists, Afonja was a complete FOOL.

Baskart.

lolsss cheesy cheesy
Bro, Otito.Cant stop laughing jere...

Anyways, we shouldnt judge much, we werent there when it all happened.
We were only told stories smiley
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by macof(m): 7:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
Texcoco:
[b] This is historical revisionism at best....we all saw what happened.The Marabout,Shiek Alimi was sent for to look after the spiritual needs of Hausas and Nupe Muslims,these muslims make up the entire cavalry wing of Alaafin's army, based in frontier town Illorin.Afonja in cahoots with Alimi exploited these elite horsemen to his military advantage against his master afterwhich Alimi keen to oversee an Islamic Emirate and spark a jihad conspired with his son Abubabkr to strangle Afonja(in his palace) thus taking not only control of the area but also the souls of the indigenes....these converted indigenes were the cannon fodder with which a jihad sprang out and nearly swept SW Nigeria.....It was only halted by disagreement amongst the muslim forces as to the formula of sharin yoruba war slaves and booty,the very forested area south of Illorin which made it impossible to lead a cavalry charge as it was in the flat Savanaah range of North central Nigeria and concerted efforts by rival pagan yoruba chiefs to fight a common enemy..........Town after town fell to these Jihadists until there was talk of touching the Quran inside the Atlantic this not only increased their fervour but made them undergo severe hardships. Alas they had no answer to the environment,the tse-tse flies which infected and killed off their horses with trypanosomiasis(sleeping sickness)..without which they were unable to sweep and put to flight pagan yoruba armies.Some jihadists made good infantry men but not all could fight on the ground,so after a military defeat borne from low morale and homesickness, a general call was sounded out for retreat and consolidation thus Illorin carved out yorubaland including environs of present day Kogi state up to Idah to the east and Aladja in present day Northern Benin Republic to the west became an Islamic Emirate...[/b]

This is still the best piece of information on ilorin on nairaland, OP did a good job...it's not revolutionary

And from what I know Afonja wasn't strangled at his house but killed in ambush by Spears fired by Muslim terrorists for not being "Islamic"

the jihad was halted by Ibadan army not sickness or savannah nonsense you just said.
is ilorin a desert?
Ilorin's height was eastern igbomina Towns in Kwara state...not even an inch of Idah or modern Benin republic was under threat from Ilorin...stop making things up

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 7:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dragonking:

As if you don't like it. undecided continue licking joor. grin

lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed undecided
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Naital(m): 7:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
After all these years of trying of trying to understand, I still can't figure it out.

Why are all these non-Kwarans taking panadol for our perceived headache?

We don't even have a headache in the first place. At least no headache that's worse than what others have.

Please leave us alone!

Thank you.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Fulaman198(m): 7:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lots of Fulani haters in this thread, it's to be expected
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
Demmzy15:

I was trying to clear the misconceptions of some tribal bigots about Islam, Fulanis and the kwara people! grin

What is that misconception please.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by nichole2(f): 7:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
THESE IS QUITE SHOCKING ,maybe thats why most people think am fulani or hausa ,,cause my hair is actualy curly black,& i have distinct feautures,well i think the op should please do research on towns or places in ilorin .cause am from isulun isin & am yoruba - maybe yorubas there mixed with fulani hopefullly i get to find out my origin cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by phlio(m): 7:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
oathman:

where in kwara
isin local govt
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by barackodam: 7:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
Demmzy15:

Nice insight bro, but but.... embarassed

buh what

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by barackodam: 7:34pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

smiley I know it as Irepodun

yeah you're right

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by akomst: 7:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
sammyj:
This is good historical fact that should enlighten both young and coming generation to eliminate false and wrong impression about Ilorin and Kwara people !!

This a story not an historical fact. Its reeled with contradiction and at best not coherent. Its more of a Yoruba bragging than an exercise to lay down facts. I would recommend you read any good Yoruba history book than this junk.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by barackodam: 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Fulaman198:
Lots of Fulani haters in this thread, it's to be expected

cmon, gerrof that naa, I have no problem with EDUCATED fulas.

just the illiterates, although its in the blood
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by omonnakoda: 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
zimoni:

HE WAS A BASTARD 100%.

TOO BADT.

TOO BADT.

NANSENSE.
What makes him brainless or a bastard? I am confused by those emotional words lacking in arojinle. Oyo was a tyranny not just to Oyos but to others.He could have not acted without support.That was the outcome of Oyo politics. jUst like the US broke away from England,,were they bastards for doing so.It is Naive to thin that Oyo was a homogenous empire.There were a lot of Nupe and Ebira and the further up north you went the more of that you would encounter.The fact that a people speak a language is just evidence of the reach on an empire. This does not mean the people are homogenous. We must remember this was the era of the slave trade and Oyo raided many peoples for slaves

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Naital(m): 7:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
omonnakoda:
What makes him brainless or a bastard? I am confued by those emotioal words lacking in arojinle. Oyo was a tyranny not just to Oyos but to others.He could have not acted without support.That was the outcome of Oyo politics. jUst like the US broke away from England,,were they bastards for doing so.It is Naive to thin that Oyo was a homogenous empire.There were a lot of Nupe and Ebira and the further up north you went the more of that you would encounter.The fact that a people speak a language is just evidence of the reach on an empire. This does not mean the people are homogenous. We must remember this was the era of the slave trade and Oyo raided many peoples for slaves

Thank you for taking your time to educate the misinformed.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by macof(m): 7:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
Demmzy15:
Emir is just a rough name of 'Amir' in Arabic, it means a 'leader'. So it's the influence of Islam not Fulani, Islam wasn't brought to yoruba land by the Fulanis but by the influence of the 'Songhai' empire in Mali. Yoruba Muslims have existed 100s of years before the birth of Uthman bin Foodee(Dan Fodio). So people claiming the Fulanis forced Islam on Yorubas is a big lie!

Not so, the first Yoruba Muslim lived in Afonja's time - Solagberu
any Muslim prior to that time were slaves not Yoruba
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Fulaman198(m): 7:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
barackodam:

cmon, gerrof that naa, I have no problem with EDUCATED fulas.

just the illiterates, although its in the blood

Spoken like a true bigot. Don't make me get on your level of bigotry because you wouldn't want to see it.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by omonnakoda: 7:56pm On Apr 08, 2015
Naital:

Thank you for taking your time to educate the misinformed.
I think the problem of many so called Yorubas is a misidentification with Oyo and so they see the perceived humiliation of Oyo in a personal light. They see it as a Yoruba humiliation which is just wrong.Not only would many of the other surroundin nations now called "Yoruba" have cheered they would have supported it. The area was just like the Arab speaking world they share a language but were many nations. I have no stake in the Oyo Ilorin conflict. We must not forget there are more Anago speakers in Benin , It is interesting that in Benin the word Yoruba is not used to describe them. This is also true for those in Ugbodu Delta state

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by macof(m): 8:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
lekahm:

BUT WHY DON'T WE HAVE HAUSA'S IN KWARA NOW?

there were bariba, nupe and fulani slaves too, years of mixing have caused the nupe and hausa families to die out I think
I know some Bariba families in Ilorin, full bariba speaking the language but you can't even see fulani speaking fulah in ilorin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio / Alaafin Of Oyo’s 18 Wives Now Available For Suitors - Oyo Chief / Photos From Wema Bank Old School Day Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.