Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (799663 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (385) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by muyiroro: 9:22am On Mar 06, 2020
Gud morning my people

Please I need urgent response

Pls if I want to apply with my family on work permit under class B. What can I claim as home tires, also what amount of POF can I show that can cover for family of 5. Though the company that employed me in Winnipeg Manitoba will cover my own ticket, accommodation and transportation for over one month.

Please I also want to be sure if LICO is applicable to my application.

Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by akanniade10(m): 12:55pm On Mar 06, 2020
okikiabdu:

I think it is better to apply as a couple and show that the accompanying spouse can support him or herself. I had about 12k Canadian dollars in my account.
Also, I wrote an emotional SOP about keeping our family together.
Maybe we would have submitted more papers if we had known about this thread before our application. The only things I submitted that weren’t asked for were my car papers, statement of account and my travel history.
No police report, no marriage pictures, I didn’t even submit my employment letter.

Awesome. So couples can actually submit their application together. Congrats once again

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by YesLadyN: 5:18pm On Mar 06, 2020
okikiabdu:

I think it is better to apply as a couple and show that the accompanying spouse can support him or herself. I had about 12k Canadian dollars in my account.
Also, I wrote an emotional SOP about keeping our family together.
Maybe we would have submitted more papers if we had known about this thread before our application. The only things I submitted that weren’t asked for were my car papers, statement of account and my travel history.
No police report, no marriage pictures, I didn’t even submit my employment letter.

Wow this is awesome! This is such a straightforward application and it’s super amazing to see one fly right through. It’s good to know you didn’t have to figuratively pull a hamstring in packaging a ‘perfect’ application.

Ircc has rules but at the same time, there’s no hard and fast rule. Each application is treated in its own unique way. Good thing you were persuasive in your LOE though.

Congratulations once more and go live life!!!!

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 06, 2020
YesLadyN:

Wow this is awesome! This is such a straightforward application and it’s super amazing to see one fly right through. It’s good to know you didn’t have to figuratively pull a hamstring in packaging a ‘perfect’ application.

Ircc has rules but at the same time, there’s no hard and fast rule. Each application is treated in its own unique way. Good thing you were persuasive in your LOE though.

Congratulations once more and go live life!!!!

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by aye88: 7:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
Good day all, i am new here and still researching. I am in the process of applying for a student Visa, however i am torn between applying as a single applicant or jointly.

I have three kids. Two are American citizens, one is Nigerian. I have a valid TRV visa, my husband has a valid TRV visa. Although my hubby would not be relocating fully with us but he will be with us on a frequent basis. Do we all apply as a joint family application or do i apply with the kids and leave hubby since he has a valid Visiting visa. If i do this, what happens when the visa expires. My hubby wants to travel with us, stay with us a while till we settle down and come back and attend to his business and frequent visits thereafter. Please which of this options is more benficial for us. I am really confused.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by HonWise(m): 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2020
Congratulations, best wishes in your new home

okikiabdu:
Approval alert

Upfront medicals: 30th Oct 2019
Online application: 31st Oct 2019
Biometrics completed: 1st of Nov 2019
Medicals passed: 20th of Jan 2020
Bvl and passport request: 3rd of March 2020.

17 weeks.

Doc submitted:

All IRCC forms
Marriage certificate
SOP
Account statement
Car papers
Visas and stamps

My wife’s study permit was also approved, it was a joint application.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by HonWise(m): 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2020
aye88:
Good day all, i am new here and still researching. I am in the process of applying for a student Visa, however i am torn between applying as a single applicant or jointly.

I have three kids. Two are American citizens, one is Nigerian. I have a valid TRV visa, my husband has a valid TRV visa. Although my hubby would not be relocating fully with us but he will be with us on a frequent basis. Do we all apply as a joint family application or do i apply with the kids and leave hubby since he has a valid Visiting visa. If i do this, what happens when the visa expires. My hubby wants to travel with us, stay with us a while till we settle down and come back and attend to his business and frequent visits thereafter. Please which of this options is more benficial for us. I am really confused.

Hello aye88,

If I get the above correctly, do you mean you both own TRV to USA or Canada as you've will got your kids with US citizenship status?

You can apply together since your spouse is not relocating fully, he can apply for either visit visa to accompany you to settle and return or apply for SOWP while he can pick jobs at anytime his with you, work and come back home. Just like the recent success story above, package your application to the best of your ability, show strong home tiers, finance, good SOP as I wish you the best.

Others can as well make input
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by dyce101(m): 5:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
okikiabdu:
Approval alert

Upfront medicals: 30th Oct 2019
Online application: 31st Oct 2019
Biometrics completed: 1st of Nov 2019
Medicals passed: 20th of Jan 2020
Bvl and passport request: 3rd of March 2020.

17 weeks.

Doc submitted:

All IRCC forms
Marriage certificate
SOP
Account statement
Car papers
Visas and stamps

My wife’s study permit was also approved, it was a joint application.

Congratulations bro
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2020
HonWise:
Congratulations, best wishes in your new home

Thank you very much.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2020
dyce101:

Congratulations bro

Thank you very much.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by aye88: 10:56am On Mar 16, 2020
HonWise:

Hello aye88,

If I get the above correctly, do you mean you both own TRV to USA or Canada as you've will got your kids with US citizenship status?

You can apply together since your spouse is not relocating fully, he can apply for either visit visa to accompany you to settle and return or apply for SOWP while he can pick jobs at anytime his with you, work and come back home. Just like the recent success story above, package your application to the best of your ability, show strong home tiers, finance, good SOP as I wish you the best.

Others can as well make input

Thank you for your response. We both have visit visa's to Canada. Also two of our kids are American citizens as i gave birth to them there. Only my last child is Nigerian. My hubby does not intend to relocate, just to be able to visit us during my studies there. Will the visit visa suffix or should we include him in the family application. Also since two of my kids are US citizens, do they also need to be included in the family application
Since i have a visit visa to canada, will they cancel my visit visa to issue me the student visa?.

Also, what if myself and my last child apply alone . Can the other two US citizens kids join us later. Will they be able to school in canada With their US citizen status.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by YesLadyN: 1:37pm On Mar 16, 2020
aye88:

Thank you for your response. We both have visit visa's to Canada. Also two of our kids are American citizens as i gave birth to them there. Only my last child is Nigerian. My hubby does not intend to relocate, just to be able to visit us during my studies there. Will the visit visa suffix or should we include him in the family application. Also since two of my kids are US citizens, do they also need to be included in the family application
Since i have a visit visa to canada, will they cancel my visit visa to issue me the student visa?.

Also, what if myself and my last child apply alone . Can the other two US citizens kids join us later. Will they be able to school in canada With their US citizen status.

A lot to unpack here.

1. Neither of your kids can school in Canada with a US visa. Their American citizenship only gives them an edge in visa applications. You have to apply for a visitor visa for them separately (most likely) after your own student visa is issued.

2. I stand corrected but you cannot possess 2 different temporary visas. Student visa supersedes a visitor visa in purpose and function. What do you need a visitor visa for when you have a student visa? It’s not like data bundles where you have two subscriptions running concurrently.

3. Your hubby is all set with his valid visitor visa since he’s not relocating with you anyway. So no need to include him. He can be your family/home tie in Nigeria.

4. If you apply for v.visa for all three of your kids right now, you have to show sufficient funds to cover their schooling there. Pls refer to posts from page 80-95. You will see how those with kids applied.

5. If you apply for your Nigerian child only, you can use the other two as family ties to boost your application.

6. Your husband need not apply for a sowp if he doesn’t intend to stay with you at long stretches during visits. If he’s going to be spending more time in Nigeria than in Canada with you, what’s the point for a sowp?! That’s if the sowp regulation allows such use for an in and out traveler!). However, if he does apply right now (which means you also have to apply for your kids too) you won’t have a strong basis to prove family ties in Nigeria.

7. My advice, apply for yourself alone first, get your visa, apply for v.visa for your kids, then see how things go with your husband if he does decide to relocate too.

All the best and let’s pray Coronavirus doesn’t halt our plans.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by aye88: 5:50pm On Mar 16, 2020
YesLadyN:

A lot to unpack here.

1. Neither of your kids can school in Canada with a US visa. Their American citizenship only gives them an edge in visa applications. You have to apply for a visitor visa for them separately (most likely) after your own student visa is issued.

2. I stand corrected but you cannot possess 2 different temporary visas. Student visa supersedes a visitor visa in purpose and function. What do you need a visitor visa for when you have a student visa? It’s not like data bundles where you have two subscriptions running concurrently.

3. Your hubby is all set with his valid visitor visa since he’s not relocating with you anyway. So no need to include him. He can be your family/home tie in Nigeria.

4. If you apply for v.visa for all three of your kids right now, you have to show sufficient funds to cover their schooling there. Pls refer to posts from page 80-95. You will see how those with kids applied.

5. If you apply for your Nigerian child only, you can use the other two as family ties to boost your application.

6. Your husband need not apply for a sowp if he doesn’t intend to stay with you at long stretches during visits. If he’s going to be spending more time in Nigeria than in Canada with you, what’s the point for a sowp?! That’s if the sowp regulation allows such use for an in and out traveler!). However, if he does apply right now (which means you also have to apply for your kids too) you won’t have a strong basis to prove family ties in Nigeria.

7. My advice, apply for yourself alone first, get your visa, apply for v.visa for your kids, then see how things go with your husband if he does decide to relocate too.

Thank you so much for your response. Its getting clear now. However, with regards to the bolded, i didn't say i wanted to apply for a visitors visa over a student visa. I meant that i currently have a visitors visa to canada which i haven't even used still valid for the next 3 years or so.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by YesLadyN: 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2020
aye88:

Thank you so much for your response. Its getting clear now. However, with regards to the bolded, i didn't say i wanted to apply for a visitors visa over a student visa. I meant that i currently have a visitors visa to canada which i haven't even used still valid for the next 3 years or so.

I understand you already have a visitor visa but what I don’t know is if one can have a valid student visa and a visitor visa at the same time which can be used intermittently (I really think not). However, having a visitor visa already will not affect or harm your chances of receiving a student visa. I made that point in terms of functionality ONLY because I think having a student visa gives you more privileges and its usage encompasses...and supersedes... that of a visitor visa. Besides your legal status in Canada will be “int’l student”, not visitor!

Regarding your 3yrs visitor visa, its validity will be running while your student visa runs. So if at d end of your program, your student visa has expired, and you still have some time left in your visitor visa, you can still use it to travel but you won’t have that 3years again oh. It’s (3 minus validity of student visa). Hope you get it though.

I wouldn’t worry my head over this anyway. Get the student visa first.

In any case, you can search through ircc site for clarity and others here can weigh in.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by aye88: 10:02am On Mar 17, 2020
YesLadyN:

I understand you already have a visitor visa but what I don’t know is if one can have a valid student visa and a visitor visa at the same time which can be used intermittently (I really think not). However, having a visitor visa already will not affect or harm your chances of receiving a student visa. I made that point in terms of functionality ONLY because I think having a student visa gives you more privileges and its usage encompasses...and supersedes... that of a visitor visa. Besides your legal status in Canada will be “int’l student”, not visitor!

Regarding your 3yrs visitor visa, its validity will be running while your student visa runs. So if at d end of your program, your student visa has expired, and you still have some time left in your visitor visa, you can still use it to travel but you won’t have that 3years again oh. It’s (3 minus validity of student visa). Hope you get it though.

I wouldn’t worry my head over this anyway. Get the student visa first.

In any case, you can search through ircc site for clarity and others here can weigh in.

Thank you so much yesladyN. You have been super helpful and clear.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by HonWise(m): 11:19pm On Mar 18, 2020
YesLadyN:

A lot to unpack here.

Boss lady (YesLadyN) is here, thanks for all you do in and out of the forum.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by hayqinsbFX: 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
Any one with updates kindly share
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Mrtoke: 8:10pm On Apr 07, 2020
Anyone with an update? I submitted my wife application last week
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Laurendee: 11:25pm On Apr 17, 2020
Please after how many months or weeks after getting my study visa(for a two year study) can I apply for spousal open work permit for my wife?

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by abbyode(m): 2:23am On Apr 18, 2020
Laurendee:
Please after how many months or weeks after getting my study visa(for a two year study) can I apply for spousal open work permit for my wife?
You can apply immediately you have your Study Permit.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Mrtoke: 1:54pm On Apr 28, 2020
Jejelaye01:
The matter weak me ooo, today makes it exactly 15 weeks and yet no word from them!!! Medicals has been passed and updated and yet no further instruction/s.
Hey, did you receive any update on your application yet, I’m just looking to know if they are actually reviewing sowp with the current state of things
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by hayqinsbFX: 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2020
This has got to be the driest Canada Visa thread on Nland. HAHA.

Processing time is now 13weeks.

Any news from any applicant that applied between Jan 21-Feb 10??
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by easyzworld: 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
Please, does anyone in the house have the contact for PPR whatsapp group ?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by hayqinsbFX: 2:36pm On Apr 30, 2020
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by demoBaba: 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2020
hayqinsbFX:
This has got to be the driest Canada Visa thread on Nland. HAHA.

Processing time is now 13weeks.

Any news from any applicant that applied between Jan 21-Feb 10??

I did biometric February 12 and no update yet.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Jejelaye01: 12:40am On May 02, 2020
Mrtoke:

Hey, did you receive any update on your application yet, I’m just looking to know if they are actually reviewing sowp with the current state of things

We actually got an update on the 13 of March to submit more documents which we did and no update since then. We hope something happens this month though.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by 4James: 10:36pm On May 07, 2020
Greetings to u all,

I started my application for a Canadian work visa/permit through an agent per say since Nov'18 2018,
Did my upfront medical May'30- 2019,
My Biometric and submitted application Sept' 2019. And uptil date no response as regard my application.

Ur opinion is needed..... Tnks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by hayqinsbFX: 10:47pm On May 07, 2020
What type of work permit application did you submit? Open or Closed?
Spousal work permit or With LMIA?
4James:
Greetings to u all,

I started my application for a Canadian work visa/permit through an agent per say since Nov'18 2018,
Did my upfront medical May'30- 2019,
My Biometric and submitted application Sept' 2019. And uptil date no response as regard my application.

Ur opinion is needed..... Tnks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Opemipo21: 4:50pm On May 11, 2020
Been a ghost member of this group since 2016. Thanks to everyone for taking time out to help with any questions and enquiries posted on here.
Just a quick question, please can anyone tell me what to expect as my husband’s application had a ghost update this morning. Timeline below;

Submitted: January 27,2020
Medical submitted February 3 via CSE
Medical Passed: February 19.
Since then complete silence.
Sent an email during COVID to the email provided on CIC to indicate that the application is essential, never got a reply back.
Ghost update: May 11,2020? Please what does this mean for the application? Is this good or bad
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by TaniSure: 5:45pm On May 11, 2020
Hello everyone
Please I will need your input here, I am Abit confused.

I am starting my program at UBC in August and I am about to submit my study permit application,
I am getting married in July, and wifie is still in school so the plan is for her to come join me next year
here is the confusion:
1.should I mention her iny LOE and attach any marriage evidence?like wedding invitation card?
2.hope it won't be a problem if I submit my application "single" and then present marriage evidence next year when I try to invite wifie over?

I don't want to make mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Mrtoke: 9:02pm On May 11, 2020
Opemipo21:
Been a ghost member of this group since 2013. Thanks to everyone for taking time out to help with any questions and enquiries posted on here.
Just a quick question, please can anyone tell me what to expect as my husband’s application had a ghost update this morning. Timeline below;

Submitted: January 27,2020
Medical submitted February 3 via CSE
Medical Passed: February 19.
Since then complete silence.
Sent an email during COVID to the email provided on CIC to indicate that the application is essential, never got a reply back.
Ghost update: May 11,2020? Please what does this mean for the application? Is this good or bad

That’s absolutely a good sign, someone checked on your application and you may be hearing from them soon.

What makes your application essential? Did you have a job yet?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Mrtoke: 9:33pm On May 11, 2020
TaniSure:
Hello everyone
Please I will need your input here, I am Abit confused.

I am starting my program at UBC in August and I am about to submit my study permit application,
I am getting married in July, and wifie is still in school so the plan is for her to come join me next year
here is the confusion:
1.should I mention her iny LOE and attach any marriage evidence?like wedding invitation card?
2.hope it won't be a problem if I submit my application "single" and then present marriage evidence next year when I try to invite wifie over?

I don't want to make mistakes.
Either way, you will be okay, I have the same problem when I applied for my study permit, I wasn’t married but I got married some weeks before my application was approved.
I had applied for my wife when I was in school but she got denied not because the vo is in doubt of our marriage.

On another note, you can select common law under marital status , that’s safer but I mean it’s no big deal once you’re able to provide proof that you are truly married

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (385) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.