Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (807227 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (386) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by afrobrown2000: 5:44pm On Feb 13, 2022
wow congratulation patiently enjoy Canada...
euphorbia:
PPR alert ooooo
SOWP for me and 2 visiting visa for the kids.
Application March 1
Upfront medical early april
Medicals added may 19
Do not reply message feb 10
Opened feb 12

I just thank God for coming through for us. When we did the medical, i didnt upload cos i am always lazy to visit that site...it can be frustrating when it keeps sending you back to the first page. More over, i didnt know how to attach the documents until a mama here explained to me ( after a mouth). But fortunately, the medicals was already passed when i checked my account.
I applied for gcms note but eligibility was blank.
I contacted liana ( thanks so much) to help with how to contact them....i ended up not sending anything cos i didnt have any inspiration on what to type.
Around mid January,Hubby called to make enquiry but he wasnt attended to since he isn't a representative. I then filled a form to make him a rep. He was added and when he called, he didnt get a reasonable answer . He planed to call again after a week.
Then i was just going through my email on feb 11 i saw do not reply messages. And now, all i can say is thank God for keeping our minds together during the silent period( almost a year!)

3 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by blueyuchay: 5:11am On Feb 14, 2022
Big congratulations.
euphorbia:
PPR alert ooooo
Application March 1
Medicals added may 19
Opened feb 12

I just thank God for coming through for us. When we did the medical, i didnt upload cos i am always lazy to visit that site...it can be frustrating when it keeps sending you back to the first page. More over, i didnt know how to attach the documents until a mama here explained to me ( after a mouth). But fortunately, the medicals was already passed when i checked my account.
I contacted liana ( thanks so much) to help with how to contact them....i ended up not sending anything cos i didnt have any inspiration on what to type.
Around mid January,Hubby called to make enquiry but he wasnt attended to since he isn't a representative. I then filled a form to make him a rep. He was added and when he called, he didnt get a reasonable answer . He planed to call again after a week.
Then i was just going through my email on feb 11 i saw do not reply messages. And now, all i can say is thank God for keeping our minds together during the silent period( almost a year!)

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by HonWise(m): 2:07am On Feb 15, 2022
Congratulations

euphorbia:
PPR alert ooooo
Application March 1
Medicals added may 19
Opened feb 12

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Awas: 11:26pm On Feb 15, 2022
DamilareOla:
Thank you.

please is there a whats app group for open spouse work permit
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Deronke1: 7:58am On Feb 16, 2022
Hi guys, so my husband and I are planning on applying together. Him for student visa and I for Sowp. I currently work at nafdac, just 1 year and its my only work experience. I've taken many online courses.
What are the criteria for sowp? Am I eligible?
Please help as we don't want to make a mistake
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Kurukuru: 9:24am On Feb 16, 2022
Let your husband land in Canada first before you think of any spousal open work permit. You short work years at NAFDAC will cast doubt on you of getting a leave to join your spouse. Hence, weaker home tie, which may affect your husband's chance of getting the study permit
Deronke1:
Hi guys, so my husband and I are planning on applying together. Him for student visa and I for Sowp. I currently work at nafdac, just 1 year and its my only work experience. I've taken many online courses.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 4:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
Its's been exactly 2 months and 8 days since my husband's visitor visa application was submitted. I don't knw what else to do. My study permit will be expiring by July though I plan on extending it.

Please, how do I get in touch with my MP? Ontario?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ditha(f): 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Hi ladyblaq, you can simply google “MPs close to me” you will get a lot of options to contact. It’s not a big deal
LadyBlaq:
Its's been exactly 2 months and 8 days since my husband's visitor visa application was submitted. I don't knw what else to do. My study permit will be expiring by July though I plan on extending it.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
ditha:
Hi ladyblaq, you can simply google “MPs close to me” you will get a lot of options to contact. It’s not a big deal
Thank you ditha
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by technix: 7:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
If you can afford to let your husband get his study permit first, and then apply to join him, that's better.

However, it's still possible to apply together. You just need a strong LOE demonstrating the need to go together, financial sufficiency, and home ties (e.g. if you have parents still in Nigeria).

You don't need a work leave to apply for SOWP, and you are not required to demonstrate that you plan to go back to your current company in Nigeria.

Deronke1:
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
LadyBlaq:

You need to contact your Mp and also keep mailing. Although the processing time for visit visa now is 94 days (3months) so that could also be the reason.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Teluv(m): 4:47am On Feb 17, 2022
Hello Guys,
I am trying to apply for a SOWP and visitors visa for my 2 kids,
The issue now is that, I created a profile on the new portal, but there is no work permit option, only study and visit.
Pls guys who applied for SOWP on the new portal, how did you guys go about it.
I urgently need your advise.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ditha(f): 5:35am On Feb 17, 2022
you cant apply for sowp on the new portal
Teluv:
Hello Guys,
The issue now is that, I created a profile on the new portal, but there is no work permit option, only study and visit.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by jce(f): 6:50am On Feb 17, 2022
From what I have seen, there are people that get their ppr within a space of 3months while some up to a year, is there a reason for this

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Teluv(m): 10:30am On Feb 17, 2022
really, so i have to go through the regular route
ditha:
you cant apply for sowp on the new portal
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 12:02pm On Feb 17, 2022
jce:
From what I have seen, there are people that get their ppr within a space of 3months while some up to a year, is there a reason for this
Yes two things are involved from my perception. Stand alone sowp takes the longest time but sowp with full vaccination status and study permit application included for kids is treated faster becos of the study permit involved but you can only attached a study permit if ur kids are 5years and above for quebec or 4years and above for other provinces. Even sowp with visit visa for kids takes time too. Thats what i have observed on this trend for a while now.

3 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 12:04pm On Feb 17, 2022
Teluv:
really, so i have to go through the regular route
Yes you have too. But you could try visit visa through the new portal and apply for your spouse open work permit when he/she arrives in canada it takes 180days to get sowp with canada. But the visit visa on the new portal also has a 94days span now which is almost or around 3months.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Teluv(m): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2022
Alright, Thank you for your advise
I will do as suggested.
skull4eva:

Yes you have too. But you could try visit visa through the new portal and apply for your spouse open work permit when he/she arrives in canada it takes 180days to get sowp with canada. But the visit visa on the new portal also has a 94days span now which is almost or around 3months.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by jce(f): 8:53pm On Feb 17, 2022
skull4eva:

Yes two things are involved from my perception. Stand alone sowp takes the longest time but sowp with full vaccination status and study permit application included for kids is treated faster becos of the study permit involved but you can only attached a study permit if ur kids are 5years and above for quebec or 4years and above for other provinces. Even sowp with visit visa for kids takes time too. Thats what i have observed on this trend for a while now.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2022
Deronke1:

Apply together, please don't listen to anyone that ask u to apply separately.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 10:05pm On Feb 17, 2022
Deronke1:
My candid advise is that from my experience except your funding is huge and ur ties here is very strong the Visa officers perspective especially to candidates from nigeria is that we want to elope so it will be hard to convince them. I was in ur shoes before i applied with my family and it was denied so i reapplied alone and it was approved and i have now restrategized and applied for sowp for my spouse still waiting though but some gurus did same and it worked out well e.g @ stonnage @ akannitommy and the likes.
There are also people that applied as family and was granted ooo but its a lot easier alone considering hometies, financial and the nigerian factor

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Awas: 12:08am On Feb 18, 2022
Awas:

please is there a whats app group for open spouse work permit
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Kurukuru: 10:59am On Feb 18, 2022
When people submit applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) they typically have spent significant time carefully completing forms and assembling documents. They expect that their applications will be processed by visa officers who carefully review the information before them. However, applicants need to understand that artificial intelligence is playing an increasing role in visa processing, as is the bulk processing of applications.

IRCC has not been forthcoming with how it uses technology to process applications, however, through a series of Access to Information Act requests as well as Federal Court of Canada litigation, the public is beginning to get a sense of measures being implemented.

Predicative learning
Automated processing of some categories of applications is not new. Since 2015 most visa-exempt foreign nationals have had to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization before they could board a plane to travel to Canada. These applications were, for the most part, automated applications.

What is less known is that in 2017, IRCC successfully conducted a pilot in which automated systems based on predicative analytics triaged and automatically approved low-risk online temporary resident visa applications from China.

Visa applications were sorted into tiers – the lowest risk for auto-approval, medium and high risk for officer review. This triage model was deployed for all applications from China in 2018, and in the same year was piloted in India. The goal appears to be for artificial intelligence to automatically approve low-risk applications, with officers only manually assessing those that have been flagged as medium to high risk.

Chinook
In addition to automated triaging, IRCC has also introduced software so that officers can bulk process applications. The software tool is known as Chinook.

According to an affidavit that IRCC filed in Federal Court, Chinook is a standalone tool that streamlines administrative steps. Applicant information is extracted from their applications and presented in a spreadsheet. Visa officers are assigned a workload of applications through Chinook. They are able to see multiple applications at a time on a single spreadsheet.

This allows them to review the contents of multiple applications on a single screen and allows them to complete administrative steps through batch processes. It also allows visa officers to create “risk indicators” and “local word flags” so that officers can identify possible applications in the processing queue of concern or priority.

According to the Federal Court affidavit, when visa officers enter Chinook, a message pops up that says, amongst other things, “The Chinook User Interface allows you to view multiple applications for review and initial assessment.

It does not replace reviewing documents… and/or reviewing other information… The refusal notes generator is means to assist with general bona fide refusals. If the notes do not reflect your refusal reasons, please write an individual note.”

Concerns
There have been many concerns raised about the implementation of automated triaging and Chinook. These include the possibility that it is what has led to increased refusal rates, that individual care is not being given to applications, that applications are not being carefully reviewed and instead quickly bulk refused, that AI flagging a file as high-risk will lead to an officer wanting to simply affirm the AI’s finding, that refusal reasons are increasingly consisting of boiler plate templates which is not helpful for applicants, and that it may perpetuate systemic racism.

Because IRCC has not been transparent about the implementation of these systems and their results, it is difficult to confirm if these concerns are founded. Regardless, it is important that those submitting applications understand that Canada’s immigration system is no longer one in which human officers meticulously process individual applications in the order that they are received. I have previously written about how it is important for individuals with refused applications to obtain the internal reasons for refusal, or Global Case Management System (“GCMS”) notes. IRCC’s use of artificial intelligence and bulk refusal generators makes this even more important, as a review of the internal reasons or GCMS are often indicative of whether such software was used, and whether a refused applicant should either file a reconsideration request or seek judicial review to see if a human may reach a different conclusion.

5 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by TETTTI: 11:57am On Feb 18, 2022
Hello Skull4eva,

Please how can I apply for Study permit for my children. I want to apply for SOWP.

Kindly assist.
skull4eva:

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by TETTTI: 12:02pm On Feb 18, 2022
Hi Technix,

Please can you help review my LOE? How can I contact you?

technix:
You can still reapply for visit, since it may be faster.
You may need to work more on your LOE (I do help revise LOE's).
Also, you may want to look at the documents you submitted e.g. the invitation letter from your husband.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by technix: 1:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
Hi. Sure. I will message you, or you can email scholarmonde@gmail.com.

TETTTI:
Hi Technix,

Please can you help review my LOE? How can I contact you?

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 8:09pm On Feb 18, 2022
TETTTI:
Hello Skull4eva,

Please how can I apply for Study permit for my children. I want to apply for SOWP.

Kindly assist.
What are their ages?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
Kurukuru:
When people submit applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) they typically have spent significant time carefully completing forms and assembling documents. They expect that their applications will be processed by visa officers who carefully review the information before them. However, applicants need to understand that artificial intelligence is playing an increasing role in visa processing, as is the bulk processing of applications.

IRCC has not been forthcoming with how it uses technology to process applications, however, through a series of Access to Information Act requests as well as Federal Court of Canada litigation, the public is beginning to get a sense of measures being implemented.

Predicative learning
Automated processing of some categories of applications is not new. Since 2015 most visa-exempt foreign nationals have had to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization before they could board a plane to travel to Canada. These applications were, for the most part, automated applications.

What is less known is that in 2017, IRCC successfully conducted a pilot in which automated systems based on predicative analytics triaged and automatically approved low-risk online temporary resident visa applications from China.

Visa applications were sorted into tiers – the lowest risk for auto-approval, medium and high risk for officer review. This triage model was deployed for all applications from China in 2018, and in the same year was piloted in India. The goal appears to be for artificial intelligence to automatically approve low-risk applications, with officers only manually assessing those that have been flagged as medium to high risk.

Chinook
In addition to automated triaging, IRCC has also introduced software so that officers can bulk process applications. The software tool is known as Chinook.

According to an affidavit that IRCC filed in Federal Court, Chinook is a standalone tool that streamlines administrative steps. Applicant information is extracted from their applications and presented in a spreadsheet. Visa officers are assigned a workload of applications through Chinook. They are able to see multiple applications at a time on a single spreadsheet.

This allows them to review the contents of multiple applications on a single screen and allows them to complete administrative steps through batch processes. It also allows visa officers to create “risk indicators” and “local word flags” so that officers can identify possible applications in the processing queue of concern or priority.

According to the Federal Court affidavit, when visa officers enter Chinook, a message pops up that says, amongst other things, “The Chinook User Interface allows you to view multiple applications for review and initial assessment.

It does not replace reviewing documents… and/or reviewing other information… The refusal notes generator is means to assist with general bona fide refusals. If the notes do not reflect your refusal reasons, please write an individual note.”

Concerns
There have been many concerns raised about the implementation of automated triaging and Chinook. These include the possibility that it is what has led to increased refusal rates, that individual care is not being given to applications, that applications are not being carefully reviewed and instead quickly bulk refused, that AI flagging a file as high-risk will lead to an officer wanting to simply affirm the AI’s finding, that refusal reasons are increasingly consisting of boiler plate templates which is not helpful for applicants, and that it may perpetuate systemic racism.

Because IRCC has not been transparent about the implementation of these systems and their results, it is difficult to confirm if these concerns are founded. Regardless, it is important that those submitting applications understand that Canada’s immigration system is no longer one in which human officers meticulously process individual applications in the order that they are received. I have previously written about how it is important for individuals with refused applications to obtain the internal reasons for refusal, or Global Case Management System (“GCMS”) notes. IRCC’s use of artificial intelligence and bulk refusal generators makes this even more important, as a review of the internal reasons or GCMS are often indicative of whether such software was used, and whether a refused applicant should either file a reconsideration request or seek judicial review to see if a human may reach a different conclusion.

Excellent submission. This is one of the dangers of AI, include racial profiling to it too.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by makano: 9:52pm On Feb 19, 2022
Hello Teluv

You should apply your spousal permit in the regular IRCC portal..

The new portal does not make provision for Spousal permit application..

Peace
Teluv:
Hello Guys,
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by makano: 10:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
Hello Deronke

One thing to consider when applying for study Visa is home ties..

What many married applicants do is that either of the spouse applies for s study permit and uses the other souse as home ties, to prove to the Visa Officer that there is a reason for coming back to your home country after your studies in Canada. With this, the Visa officer will know that no sensible married partner will leave his or her spouse behind and abscond to Canada..

So its always advisable for one partner to apply first and get to Canada, once you land in Canada and get your study permit and SIN, then you can now apply for your partner to come meet you via Spousal permit application.

You can as well apply together, but this is if you have strong home ties in your home country that will facilitate your return to your home country.. Remember its a temporary Visa you are applying for and not a Permanent resident Visa..

Peace
Deronke1:

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by makano: 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2022
Hello LadyBlaq

Below is the link to locate your MP

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/search?caucusId=all&province=ON&gender=all

Peace
LadyBlaq:

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (386) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.