Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (802796 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (385) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Shukusheka(m): 7:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
OkukuOne:
You have the option to apply now or later, based on your readiness.

Regarding the extension of her study permit until 2025, you didn't provide many details, which limits my ability to offer specific advice. However, I'll outline two possible scenarios:

1. If she needs to retake a failed course, she will likely get the extension. However, if the courses are few, her study permit status might change to part-time. This could significantly impact a spouse planning to apply for a SOWP.

2. If she's starting a new course for a year, that's straightforward. However, I recommend starting the SOWP application process now or preparing all necessary documentation to justify why you need to join your spouse immediately. If your SOWP application is pending when the extension is approved, you'll just need to update your application with the new documents via webforms to IRCC.

Good luck!

Thank you Boss. She is starting a new course next year and hereby seeking her study permit extension. So from what I hear you say, her study permit extension is enough for me to apply for SOWP.
Does this mean if her study permit is extended, it automatically extends her visa too?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Shukusheka(m): 8:39pm On Dec 10, 2023
letsfarmnigeria:

You can apply before it expires but if u can be patient a little wait for her to get an extension reason is that if you apply now they will grant you visa until the date her current visa expires and will extend it only when her new application is approved so u see the choice is yours
Thank you Chief. If she applies for extension of her study permit, does that mean her visa would also be extended? My worry is that her current visa expires in June and I won't be applying for SOWP until August.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Teejay2033: 9:18pm On Dec 10, 2023
[quote author=OkukuOne post=127405797][/quote]

Thanks. God bless you🙏
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by OkukuOne(m): 12:41am On Dec 11, 2023
Receiving a passport request is usually a part of the study permit approval process, so you shouldn't worry. When she applies, she'll likely be granted something known as Authorization to Study. This will be in effect while the IRCC reviews her application for an extension.

Furthermore, students generally have a three-month period after completing their studies to decide their next steps or future path.

Good luck!

Shukusheka:

Thank you Boss. She is starting a new course next year and hereby seeking her study permit extension. So from what I hear you say, her study permit extension is enough for me to apply for SOWP.
Does this mean if her study permit is extended, it automatically extends her visa too?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by uyi4mata: 3:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
Hello Guys, Pls is there a WhatsApp group for SOWP. 2ndly I applied for SOWP since Sept 24th 2023 and haven't gotten any response from IRCC. What might be the issue.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by AgEcon: 5:05pm On Dec 11, 2023
Looking forward to answer to your 1st question too. A dedicated WhatsApp or telegram for sowp applicants.

My spouse applied 26th October too. We have not heard anything apart from the biometric. Medical was done upfront and yet to be evaluated.

Hello Guys, Pls is there a WhatsApp group for SOWP. 2ndly I applied for SOWP since Sept 24th 2023 and haven't gotten any response from IRCC. What might be the issue.
Thanks[/quote]
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by lois2016: 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2023
uyi4mata:
Thanks

https:///canadasowp_backup
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by letsfarmnigeria: 12:12am On Dec 13, 2023
Shukusheka:
Thank you Chief. If she applies for extension of her study permit, does that mean her visa would also be extended? My worry is that her current visa expires in June and I won't be applying for SOWP until August.

Once she gets her study extension, no need for his except when she wants to travel out of Canada
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by letsfarmnigeria: 12:16am On Dec 13, 2023
OkukuOne:
That is not a problem, when she gets her extension, he can apply online or flagpole immediately to get his extension as well to the new date now given to his wife.

Don't waste time unless you have enough of it.

Good luck!

Flag poling is great but one miss question at the border ends badly remember in this case he will be going with an expired visa because before the wife's permit will be approved the visa maybe expired and one tricky question officers normally ask is are you working if you answer yes then its a serious issue because by the conditions of ur visa once expired I u have not applied for extension ur illegally working 2 Nigerians are currently battling it as they on their way to be deported so it's a choice

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by OkukuOne(m): 1:33am On Dec 13, 2023
I can barely understand you, but I will try to explain all scenarios as much as I can.

1. If his visa is issued before her graduation, that's great because both of their extensions can be processed simultaneously, either online or when they go to the border (flagpoling). This seems quite straightforward to me.

2. If he hasn't received his visa approval yet, he'll need to continue waiting until it's approved. This scenario is also quite clear.

Now, let's consider a scenario based on what you've described.

Immigration Officer: "Are you working?"
Spouse: "Yes, I am working," provided she actually is employed. Working is not inherently a problem; it largely depends on the specific conditions you've assumed. The Canadian government doesn't prohibit work. Review your Study Permit and Work Permit. If they expire before you flagpole, then you know you need to cease working. This isn't overly complicated.

We should always strive to ask the right questions when uncertain to ensure we receive accurate information. There's no need to instill fear in others.

Regarding those who went to flagpole without adequately informing themselves beforehand, it seems that was a decision they made independently.

My advice to everyone, including Nigerians here, is to engage with others, seek information, conduct research, and, when necessary, consult with immigration experts to resolve any doubts. You might be surprised by how much you can learn in a short time.

Just recently, I consulted an immigration professional here in canada while I was cracking my head about how to go about an issue with me. 95% of what the immigration consultant said, I already knew, my payment was actually for that 5% to get a clearer picture. This is life, it is give and take.

Good luck to all!

letsfarmnigeria:

Flag poling is great but one miss question at the border ends badly remember in this case he will be going with an expired visa because before the wife's permit will be approved the visa maybe expired and one tricky question officers normally ask is are you working if you answer yes then its a serious issue because by the conditions of ur visa once expired I u have not applied for extension ur illegally working 2 Nigerians are currently battling it as they on their way to be deported so it's a choice
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by chillChill1: 4:13am On Dec 13, 2023
Hi Everyone, i need assistance. i am travelling from ghana to canada transiting at Frankfurt and Brussels, Do i need a transit visa. i learnt i dont need it at frankfurt, and brusels but since i will be doing the two stops at the same time and they are all Schengen i want to confirm first

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LumiTee: 8:10am On Dec 13, 2023
Good morning everyone.

Please I need your help concerning my application.

My wife is currently studying in Canada (since September), and I want to apply for SOWP for myself and SP for our 9 year old daughter.

Although I don't intend to stay in Canada till her program ends as I have businesses I'm running in Nigeria and my other children will also be in Nigeria. I would have applied for a visitor visa but I want SOWP so that I will be able to work whenever I am in Canada.

As for my daughter, I want to apply for Study permit for her because she will be staying with my wife till she (my wife) completes her study in August 2024.

These are my questions sirs/mas:

1. Can I use the new portal to apply for SOWP? Someone once mentioned that the new portal can't be used for SOWP application.

2. If I want to use the old portal (GC Key), is there anything that will link our applications with my wife?

3. Will I be able to apply for both SOWP and SP in a single application? I mean using one account to submit both applications (SOWP and SP).

4. Will my application for SOWP fly given that I do not intend to stay with my wife all through her study period?

5. What are the IMM forms I need to download for both applications?

Thank you and God bless you all.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Oluwaloniglory7: 9:57pm On Dec 13, 2023
LumiTee:
Good morning everyone.

Please I need your help concerning my application.

My wife is currently studying in Canada (since September), and I want to apply for SOWP for myself and SP for our 9 year old daughter.

Although I don't intend to stay in Canada till her program ends as I have businesses I'm running in Nigeria and my other children will also be in Nigeria. I would have applied for a visitor visa but I want SOWP so that I will be able to work whenever I am in Canada.

As for my daughter, I want to apply for Study permit for her because she will be staying with my wife till she (my wife) completes her study in August 2024.

These are my questions sirs/mas:

1. Can I use the new portal to apply for SOWP? Someone once mentioned that the new portal can't be used for SOWP application. OLD PORTAL ie gckey

2. If I want to use the old portal (GC Key), is there anything that will link our applications with my wife? No only in your application where they will ask you your wife name and when you married

3. Will I be able to apply for both SOWP and SP in a single application? I mean using one account to submit both applications (SOWP and SP). YES

4. Will my application for SOWP fly given that I do not intend to stay with my wife all through her study period? You don't need to write it in your letter of intent that you don't want to stay with your wife all through her study period, get it and use it for your purpose.

5. What are the IMM forms I need to download for both applications? If you use old portal gckey you will see when you are about to upload your documents

Thank you and God bless you all.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Oluwaloniglory7: 9:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
chillChill1:
Hi Everyone, i need assistance. i am travelling from ghana to canada transiting at Frankfurt and Brussels, Do i need a transit visa. i learnt i dont need it at frankfurt, and brusels but since i will be doing the two stops at the same time and they are all Schengen i want to confirm first

Capital YES, your transit shouldn't be more than one
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Oluwaloniglory7: 10:07pm On Dec 13, 2023
Hello boss okuku

Are you saying that student can do study visa extension through flagpole?

If yes what are the documents needed

Thanks

OkukuOne:
I can barely understand you, but I will try to explain all scenarios as much as I can.

1. If his visa is issued before her graduation, that's great because both of their extensions can be processed simultaneously, either online or when they go to the border (flagpoling). This seems quite straightforward to me.

2. If he hasn't received his visa approval yet, he'll need to continue waiting until it's approved. This scenario is also quite clear.

Spouse: "Yes, I am working," provided she actually is employed. Working is not inherently a problem; it largely depends on the specific conditions you've assumed. The Canadian government doesn't prohibit work. Review your Study Permit and Work Permit. If they expire before you flagpole, then you know you need to cease working. This isn't overly complicated.

We should always strive to ask the right questions when uncertain to ensure we receive accurate information. There's no need to instill fear in others.

Regarding those who went to flagpole without adequately informing themselves beforehand, it seems that was a decision they made independently.

My advice to everyone, including Nigerians here, is to engage with others, seek information, conduct research, and, when necessary, consult with immigration experts to resolve any doubts. You might be surprised by how much you can learn in a short time.

Just recently, I consulted an immigration professional here in canada while I was cracking my head about how to go about an issue with me. 95% of what the immigration consultant said, I already knew, my payment was actually for that 5% to get a clearer picture. This is life, it is give and take.

Good luck to all!

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LumiTee: 11:02pm On Dec 13, 2023
Thank you so much, sir. I really appreciate this.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LumiTee: 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
[quote author=Oluwaloniglory7 post=127470423][/quote]

Thank you so much sir, I really appreciate it.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Abbasdaughter(f): 7:11am On Dec 14, 2023
Good morning everyone......I applied for Sowp for my self in October and did my biometrics on the 30th of Oct. Biometrics was uploaded/reflected on the 31st of November
My issues:
1. My medical hasn't been uploaded but my son's own has
2. There's been no update since
3. I applied using my own gckey account not my husband's own account..... could this be the reason for the delay?
4. Is it advisable to send web forms and how do I go about that?
By profile just kept saying background check ongoing
The wait is not easy

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Sojiflex001(m): 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hello everyone!

Please any late October or early November submission/biometric for SOWP here that had gotten response?

I assumed they always answer within 6 weeks of submission/biometric before now. What’s happening? Has the time/weeks been extended?
Please share your thoughts!
Thanks.

Please I will also like to know the average weeks, it also take them to respond to a VV application! Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by OkukuOne(m): 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
For re-entry into Canada, you'll need the same documentation as you did for your first entry, essentially approaching the process as if it were your initial application. The significant advantage this time is your enrollment in ongoing in-class studies. Additionally, it's important not to wait until your study permit expires before undertaking the flagpoling process.

Good luck!

Oluwaloniglory7:

Hello boss okuku

Are you saying that student can do study visa extension through flagpole?

If yes what are the documents needed

Thanks

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by letsfarmnigeria: 8:00pm On Dec 16, 2023
OkukuOne:

Good luck to all!

This is not exactly what I said am saying that with a work permit visa if expired and you go to flagpole if the officer ask u if are currently working and u answer yes it's illegal and u can be sent home reason is that by the virtue of your visa as a work permit holder u are not supposed to keep working once your visa has expired expect where you apply before the expiration date then u can keep working until approval and in this case if he wants to flagpole he will wait for the spouse to get approved because his on an open work permit with the spouse as his main reason now if he gets to boarder when his initial visa has expired and his asked if his working if he answers yes he may be heading to lagos having breached his initial sowp visa condition I know someone who is currently back in lagos spending money on immigration lawyers to get him back but if in doubt it's always good to try and if successful its a win and if otherwise it's a lesson
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by OkukuOne(m): 2:30am On Dec 17, 2023
I apologize if I misunderstood you earlier, but I'd like to clarify a few points:

It's not advisable to wait until your Study Permit (SP) or Work Permit (WP) is about to expire before applying for renewal. Ideally, you should apply for renewal three to four months before your permit expires.

If you apply for renewal before your permit expires, you'll typically receive authorization to continue working until a decision is made on your application. Regarding the individual who was sent back, there might be more to their story than what was shared.

To sum up, my goal is to inform and alleviate fears. While flagpoling is a quicker option for those who don't want to wait, applying online is a viable alternative, as it grants authorization to work while waiting for a decision. Ultimately, the decision is a personal one.

Note: My intention is not to discredit your post but to add more context to the discussion.

Good luck!

letsfarmnigeria:

This is not exactly what I said am saying that with a work permit visa if expired and you go to flagpole if the officer ask u if are currently working and u answer yes it's illegal and u can be sent home reason is that by the virtue of your visa as a work permit holder u are not supposed to keep working once your visa has expired expect where you apply before the expiration date then u can keep working until approval and in this case if he wants to flagpole he will wait for the spouse to get approved because his on an open work permit with the spouse as his main reason now if he gets to boarder when his initial visa has expired and his asked if his working if he answers yes he may be heading to lagos having breached his initial sowp visa condition I know someone who is currently back in lagos spending money on immigration lawyers to get him back but if in doubt it's always good to try and if successful its a win and if otherwise it's a lesson

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by noeloge82(m): 2:34am On Dec 17, 2023
OkukuOne:
I apologize if I misunderstood you earlier, but I'd like to clarify a few points:

It's not advisable to wait until your Study Permit (SP) or Work Permit (WP) is about to expire before applying for renewal. Ideally, you should apply for renewal three to four months before your permit expires.

If you apply for renewal before your permit expires, you'll typically receive authorization to continue working until a decision is made on your application. Regarding the individual who was sent back, there might be more to their story than what was shared.

To sum up, my goal is to inform and alleviate fears. While flagpoling is a quicker option for those who don't want to wait, applying online is a viable alternative, as it grants authorization to work while waiting for a decision. Ultimately, the decision is a personal one.

Note: My intention is not to discredit your post but to add more context to the discussion.

Good luck!

We learn everyday

Cheers
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ianian: 2:50am On Dec 18, 2023
OkukuOne:
Nothing on that yet. I can't advise on that now until it is announced.

If i get any inform, i will share it.

Good luck!

source: IRCC website

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ianian: 2:55am On Dec 18, 2023
With the above, is it safe to say that the new POF for SOWP for first family member is now 5,055 CAD (from 4,000 CAD)

OkukuOne
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by opessi: 5:35am On Dec 18, 2023
Same situation, I applied for my wife and son 21st October, 3 days after my wife's medical was passed even though she hasn't gone for biometric... She went for biometric November 10th and was updated same day.. Ever since then no update until yesterday that my sons medical was passed after sending 4 webform.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by opessi: 5:36am On Dec 18, 2023
Abbasdaughter:
Good morning everyone......I applied for Sowp for my self in October and did my biometrics on the 30th of Oct. Biometrics was uploaded/reflected on the 31st of November
My issues:
3. I applied using my own gckey account not my husband's own account..... could this be the reason for the delay?
The wait is not easy
Same situation, I applied for my wife and son 21st October, 3 days after my wife's medical was passed even though she hasn't gone for biometric... She went for biometric November 10th and was updated same day.. Ever since then no update until yesterday that my sons medical was passed after sending 4 webform.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by DripDude: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
OkukuOne:

Good luck to all!

Weldone OkukuOne, please I have a very peculiar situation and I need your advise

I got married to my wife in lagos, 2 saturdays ago.she currently schools in canada and her student visa expires in May 2024, though her program ends in August 2024 and she intend to apply for extension. her program also qualifies her for a 3 year pgwp

As for me, I got my visitor's visa in november but I never mentioned that I have someone in canada, I only applied to visit as a tourist.

she is going back to canada in January and we are considering applying for her student visa extension and my SOWP together when she returns, is this a good strategy? and how can we do this?.

Option 2 is for me to start the sowp process immediately but I am worried that she doesnt have up to 6 months left on her visa and also how do I explain that I have known her and we have bn dating for years, considering that I never mentioned her when I applied and obtained my VV
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by DripDude: 5:05pm On Dec 18, 2023
Abbasdaughter:
My issues:
The wait is not easy

Hello

pls can you help, while trying to fill mine, I could not go pass this question

* What exactly do you want to apply for? (required)
I am the spouse, common law partner or dependent of an H-1B visa holder
Not sure
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Engr2016: 3:34pm On Dec 22, 2023
Hello everyone. Could anyone help me with the question? Is medical examination also required for minors ( ages 4 to 10) who want to accompany a parent applying for SOWP? Also, has IRCC updated the POF for dependents of people applying for SOWP just like they recently announced for Study Permit applicants? Thanks ahead.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Engr2016: 3:37pm On Dec 22, 2023
Thanks. Could you please share the link for this on the IRCC website. I have been searching for it. Thanks again.
ianian:

source: IRCC website

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Jxool: 3:50am On Dec 23, 2023

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (385) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.