Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (382) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (800089 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ianian: 11:43pm On Mar 28
Thanks for the further breakdown

Spouse passport expires next year April, so there's time to renew and extend.

Then I will extend based on the spouse new permit.

So option 1 is very ok, as there's time
Jeboy:
You are welcomed as you have 3 options open to you.

1. To allow your spouse extend her study permit 1st and later you extend your sowp so her approval will not be delayed.

2. You can do both apply for study and sowp together but people often say it makes d study permit extension delayed

3. Let her apply and get her study extension first while you flagpole with her extension to get your own SOWP extension.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Ogbigog: 2:43am On Mar 29
Can flagpoling still work for spouses coming in with Visiting visa? Or just people who have SOWP already.
Jeboy:
You are welcomed as you have 3 options open to you.

1. To allow your spouse extend her study permit 1st and later you extend your sowp so her approval will not be delayed.

2. You can do both apply for study and sowp together but people often say it makes d study permit extension delayed

3. Let her apply and get her study extension first while you flagpole with her extension to get your own SOWP extension.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Jeboy(m): 6:32pm On Mar 29
For new sowp, If you have a spouse with Masters admission, permit and Letter of Acceptance. The spouse with visit visa can do flagpole to the date of the spouse with study permit. This works earlier with college admission and study permit but not again with the new law.

Can also work for existing sowp as I mentioned in earlier scenerio.

Ogbigog:
Can flagpoling still work for spouses coming in with Visiting visa? Or just people who have SOWP already.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ICONEB: 8:39pm On Mar 30
Hello my people,
Please I have an urgent question. For those that landed in Canada recently, please what were the questions asked at the border and were you required to show your bank statement.

I look forward to your response. Thank you so much
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Mikkky2804: 7:28am On Mar 31
Please what's the most affordable airline now for trips to Canada
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Pablo9090: 11:10am On Mar 31
Good morning Everyone, Happy Easter to the Christians!!!. Pls now there is delay in entry to Canada , I don't know whether i should pull out the money in the proof of funds account , am already done with my biometric, pls answer is highly needed
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Ogbigog: 12:35pm On Mar 31
What do you mean by delay in entry to Canada?
Pablo9090:
Good morning Everyone, Happy Easter to the Christians!!!. Pls now there is delay in entry to Canada , I don't know whether i should pull out the money in the proof of funds account , am already done with my biometric, pls answer is highly needed
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ianian: 3:29pm On Mar 31
Hello friends,

Do they request for Health insurance at POE for SOWP visa holders?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Ogbigog: 4:26pm On Mar 31
I think different people have different experiences but it shouldn’t be a big deal if you don’t have it since you passed the medicals already. They’re likely to request for the yellow card at Lagos airport than over there in Canada.
ianian:
Hello friends,

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Pablo9090: 5:50pm On Mar 31
Ogbigog:
What do you mean by delay in entry to Canada?

What I mean is delay in processing visa to Canada, can I make use of the money in my proof of funds and later return it back ? Is it going to affect me now that I have done my biometric since January?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ICONEB: 8:16pm On Mar 31
What yellow card?
Ogbigog:
I think different people have different experiences but it shouldn’t be a big deal if you don’t have it since you passed the medicals already. They’re likely to request for the yellow card at Lagos airport than over there in Canada.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ICONEB: 9:25pm On Mar 31
Please you people should answer my question na. Abeg
ICONEB:
Hello my people,
Please I have an urgent question. For those that landed in Canada recently, please what were the questions asked at the border and were you required to show your bank statement.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Oluwaloniglory7: 10:55pm On Mar 31
Congratulations Lholar, please If I may ask? What documents do you submitted for SP for your kids Where they asked for letter of admission and other stuff?

Also is spouse of international student who his already in Canada currently studies in colleges are not eligible for sSOWP

LholarB:
It’s SOWP for my spouse, SP and VV for my kids !!

I was so scared after the announcement that I had to quickly do an email to RROC on March 19th ,cos my kids medicals were passed March 9th and spouse medicals passed March 19th

Application submitted Feb 18
Biometrics Feb 19 (updated Feb 22)
Medical request for spouse March 8 (passed March 19th)
Upfront Medicals passed for kids March 9th
BVL March 21
PPR March 21

Thank you all to everyone that answered my questions and informations shared on this platform

I pray God in his infinite mercy come through for everyone in this journey !

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bowluwahtifeh: 1:48am On Apr 01
I am a post graduate student in Canada. The new law is devastating because I submitted sowp and sp for my family on 1/3/24 and all rejected on 20/3/24. What other options do I have to bring my family in? I have cried my eyes out. Please I need help from the gurus in the house
Jeboy:
For new sowp, If you have a spouse with Masters admission, permit and Letter of Acceptance. The spouse with visit visa can do flagpole to the date of the spouse with study permit. This works earlier with college admission and study permit but not again with the new law.

Can also work for existing sowp as I mentioned in earlier scenerio.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 10:34am On Apr 01
There is no requirement to show an health insurance at POE. You have a work permit, no need of an health insurance.

Cheers.

ianian:
Hello friends,

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bobomaigida: 10:35am On Apr 01
Bowluwahtifeh:
I am a post graduate student in Canada. The new law is devastating because I submitted sowp and sp for my family on 1/3/24 and all rejected on 20/3/24. What other options do I have to bring my family in? I have cried my eyes out. Please I need help from the gurus in the house

So sorry for the rejection, what was the reason for the rejection?

Though as it is now, you can only apply for VV for your spouse and the SP can be applied for the kids.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 10:41am On Apr 01
Some of the options you have include:

1. Re-apply, after obtaining your gcms notes to ascertain the real reason for your previous rejection;

2. Apply to a Masters program;

3. Wait until when you apply for your PR and include your family;

4. Visit visa application, for a temporary family visit.

Cheers.

Bowluwahtifeh:
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Asekzz: 10:46am On Apr 01
Just wait my sister till you get your pgwp you can apply for your family then just google it and read abt it.before you no it you are done with school and you will bring down your famiy to Canada..Goodluck.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 10:51am On Apr 01
No hard and fast rules around this. I feel it depends on how you present yourself.

You could be asked questions regarding how much cash you have on you, what you have in your bags, where you intend to stay in Canada, details of your student spouse (if a sowp holder).

ICONEB:
Hello my people,

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Jeboy(m): 11:04am On Apr 01
You don't have to cry, we re in d same shoes. I know how it hurts being separated for 8 months now. Let them apply for visit asap first but deal with the issue they were rejected for first.

How many year study permit do you have. If it's up to 2 yrs try apply for a one year Masters course so your spouse can qualify for SOWP else it's only visit he or she can.

If you can't afford a Masters then wait for 2-5 yrs when you ll be able to get a sponsored LMIA job or PR and then apply for spousal sponsorship for your spouse.

Bowluwahtifeh:
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Jeboy(m): 11:10am On Apr 01
There is no SOWP route for College or PGD students again. It's dead and buried. Only option is to move from PGWP to LMIA or get PR to bring spouse via SOWP. PGWP is still a kind of work permit tied to the condition of the student which is a college graduate so no SOWP. The PGWP option you think is available to bring spouse is actually LMIA (closed work pernit) except the student is admitted or enrolled in a Masters or professional degree then there spouse qualify for SOWP. Spouse of such student can still apply for SOWP when they move from students to graduates (PGWP)

Asekzz:
Just wait my sister till you get your pgwp you can apply for your family then just google it and read abt it.before you no it you are done with school and you will bring down your famiy to Canada..Goodluck.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Ogbigog: 12:10pm On Apr 01
I hope the people that kept arguing that you can apply for SOWP when you get PGWP can see this.

And no you can not apply for SP for your kids. You can only apply for VV for the whole family.
folla:

1. Re-apply, after obtaining your gcms notes to ascertain the real reason for your previous rejection;

Cheers.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Shukusheka(m): 12:29pm On Apr 01
Jeboy:
There is no SOWP route for College or PGD students again. It's dead and buried. Only option is to move from PGWP to LMIA or get PR to bring spouse via SOWP. PGWP is still a kind of work permit tied to the condition of the student which is a college graduate so no SOWP. The PGWP option you think is available to bring spouse is actually LMIA (closed work pernit) except the student is admitted or enrolled in a Masters or professional degree then there spouse qualify for SOWP. Spouse of such student can still apply for SOWP when they move from students to graduates (PGWP)

Can you please clarify your last sentence " Spouse of such student can still apply for SOWP when they move from students to graduates (PGWP) "
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Shukusheka(m): 1:31pm On Apr 01
Ogbigog:
I hope the people that kept arguing that you can apply for SOWP when you get PGWP can see this.

And no you can not apply for SP for your kids. You can only apply for VV for the whole family.
I have just gone through the IRCC website and can not find any statement on the website that supports this notion that one can't apply for SOWP through PGWP.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Oluwaloniglory7: 1:59pm On Apr 01
Can spouse change VV to Open Work Permit through flagpole in Canada? and for the kids can they still qualify for SP since they have cancel SOWP for the spouse of student study in college ?

Bobomaigida:

Though as it is now, you can only apply for VV for your spouse and the SP can be applied for the kids.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Ogbigog: 2:02pm On Apr 01
Kindly read what you posted.

You’re eligible for Open Work Permit if “You are an International student who graduated from a DLI”
NOT “If you are a SPOUSE of an International student who graduated from a DLI”

Number 4 is where ur answer lies. The list says if you’re a dependent of a person who applied for PR.

Number 5, if you’re a spouse of an international student (international student in question must be a masters or PhD student).

The list never said if you’re the spouse of an international student who is eligible for PGWP.

Shukusheka:
I have just gone through the IRCC website and can not find any statement on the website that supports this notion that one can't apply for SOWP through PGWP.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bobomaigida: 5:25pm On Apr 01
Oluwaloniglory7:

Can spouse change VV to Open Work Permit through flagpole in Canada? and for the kids can they still qualify for SP since they have cancel SOWP for the spouse of student study in college ?

No, VV cannot be changed to OWP if the student is not among the exempted students. You can apply for SP for the Kids or VV more than 6 months so they get visitor records which will allow them attend school.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Papa93: 9:23pm On Apr 01
Hi Guys,

Please I just need a bit clarity.
I have applied for a sowp and vv for my kid
My wife is already in Canada schooling (a post graduate diploma)
Date submitted: 12 feb,2024
Medical upfront for both done
Biometric for myself completed on 11 mar,2024.

But our eligibility status and medical status won’t update. The info there reads something like “I won’t need a medical check”. But we submitted our upfront medical forms during the application. iom confirmed they have submitted it to ircc. Is this normal please? The lack of activity on our profiles is leaving us restless and nervy What kind of action would you advise please

Best Regards.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bowluwahtifeh: 9:39pm On Apr 01
Thank you for your response. I just ordered for gcms note and it's not out yet.
The new law doesn't allow sowp for post graduate students anymore abi?
If I want to apply for Masters, do I have an edge because I am already in Canada or I will have to start all over as if I'm in Nigeria?
folla:

Cheers.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bowluwahtifeh: 9:45pm On Apr 01
Thank you for your response. I am doing a 1yr post graduate certification. I do not mind applying for Masters so as to bring my family in....BUT;
I have 2:2cgpa, I don't have IELTS result which University will take me?
Jeboy:
You don't have to cry, we re in d same shoes. I know how it hurts being separated for 8 months now. Let them apply for visit asap first but deal with the issue they were rejected for first.

How many year study permit do you have. If it's up to 2 yrs try apply for a one year Masters course so your spouse can qualify for SOWP else it's only visit he or she can.

If you can't afford a Masters then wait for 2-5 yrs when you ll be able to get a sponsored LMIA job or PR and then apply for spousal sponsorship for your spouse.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Asekzz: 9:50pm On Apr 01
Pls ready this..

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bowluwahtifeh: 9:50pm On Apr 01
Thank you for your response. I am yet to get the gcms note that I just ordered; I ordered for the FREE version though.
I don't even mind applying for Masters but my CGPA is 2.2 and I don't have IELTS result, which University can take that result?

Another option I'm looking at is ds; my husband is a pharmacist, he already has a masters in pharmacology. Should he apply for another masters? My husband is saying that since I am already in Canada then I have upper chances of getting Masters admission than him that is still in Nigeria. Does it matter?
Bobomaigida:

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: Sommysommy062, Ethanuella and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.