Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,160 members, 7,849,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:43 AM

What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? - Romance (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? (26832 Views)

What's Wrong With Dating Someone You Can't Marry? / Are Guys Scared Of Dating Or Marrying Working-Class Ladies? / Issues With Dating Ladies In Early Twenties... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Sista(f): 2:07am On Oct 17, 2006
@925

My creating that thread is got nothing to do with my family settings, you are now talking because things are relatively okay in nairaland now, when I started posting in nairaland things were totally different, and when I met my wife, Black women were not into the wanabe stuff, so this is not a mattar of choice like you said, and if you think I 've done something wrong?, you are going to have to think again, how about you talking about this till the end of time. If my family settings means I 've committed a crime to you, I can't help you here, learn to live with it.

Everything you say is about your family setting because when people hear you talk, they are looking for you to be genuine and if you lack it, you will be called on it. None of what you say would hold up in court, all that you have said has been hypocritical. I don't care what you say, it is rather impulsive of you to tell black women that they act white and for that reason they should not be asking their self why black men are going for the real deal, which is the white woman her self.

I can see a black man who is mad at black women for not being her self, and then complaining to him that he is not acting white enough making the complaint that you made. However, I can't see why as a black man with a white wife, why would you tell black women that they try to be white, when your wife is white and that did not bother you when you got with her, or did she act black so that made it okay? That is the equivalent to telling a child to do as I say and not as I do. I don't care what you say, you have a white wife and she will never be black. What you said in that thread, it sounded condescending and it sounds like you are indirectly validating your choices. You talk about black people uniting and accepting the good white people. You say your wife has assimilated into your culture, that means she plays the role of an Igbo woman. She is not really an Igbo woman. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If it is okay for your wife to pretend to be Igbo and Afrocentric, that means it is okay for a black woman to pretend to be white, who knows, maybe the black woman is looking for a white man and that is what she is trying to attract like your wife attracted you by showing you (what you said) that she is more Afrocentric then most African women.

Also, don't try to act like black women imitating black woman is a new trend, black women been doing that for years.

Instead of telling the sisters that it is their fault for trying to act white, that black men go for the real deal white woman, you should have been telling them how beautiful their African physical characteristics are and how they should take off that blond wig and show their beautiful nappy roots, or do you think nappy is beautiful? But, then again, your wife may feel threatened by you telling the sisters how beautiful they are and you don't want to rattle your cozy zone. After all, your a true blue Igbo man undecided
Much more truer than any white man would be to a black woman.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by chinani(f): 2:26am On Oct 17, 2006
@Sista

Somehow, I missed where Babyosisi said that so I apologize for speaking out of turn. However, my comment wasn't in relation to that (b/c I didn't know about it, again, sorry). My comment was about your story. Basically, I think you read cultural well, but not flawlessly. Can flawlessness be achieved, don't know, I think I'm batting 95% right now, but I still have off days. My point was about the way you read certain situations b/c I think you have some inherent assumptions evidenced by your story.

Just to remind you I said this It's peculiar that you assume to know where the African woman was coming from. I call it an assumption b/c you have a very definite conclusion & this is the link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-23185.416.html#msg660581

I think you're trying to do some conscienceness raising here and I offer this in the same vein as food for thought.

@Drusilla

It is a well known unspoken rule among AA that you do not mention the immizerated peasants in Nigeria because the business class will shun you. My friend thrills me with many stories of secretly having to go to the villages and help them improve because he could not do his oil business with Nigerians if they knew that he was really an American Communist (rich man who comes from Shell oil family) who wanted all the African people especially the peasants to get on their feet.
I have to say this is dead wrong. Firstly, how do you know or why do you think that the majority of people here aren't of the "peasant class"? What makes you think so? I think that most Americans would consider a majority of African immigrants among the peasant class (if they knew their biz like that). Have you ever read the interviews Freddy Adu (go Ghana!) does w/ his mother? They talked about how they won the (visa) lottery and when they came life was easier. . .but not. I think Africans maybe quieter or just used to talking to "themselves" about these things so you don't here it. Or maybe you only hob knob w/ the paid cats but no, that's not most.

Secondly, Americans have a voyeuristic view of Africa. Many anyway. So they want to talk about what they saw on CNN but not get to know the person they are speaking to. People resent that and don't always want to talk about "breaking news" or however CNN defines it.

I don't know anything about your 'Shell friend'. The story sounds out of the world to me.

This is strange to us as Americans first of all because as you know, in America the class system is considered dead.
There's no de jure class system like in Europe but it definitely exists. Ask the Rockefellers.

You can start in the worst class and end in the best class, regardless of education.
That's the myth of the American Dream no? I totally subscribe to Death of a Salesman on this. I think the 'American Dream' is a trite, sales pitch to erode away any of the bitterness wrought by the (invisible) class system.

People who speak too well are even teased among whites as being pompous and hoity toity and using 50 dollar words when a 50 cent word would have done.
What does this have to do with Africans? "Too well" is a relative term anyway. It's totally arbitrary. If you want to distance yourself from someone b/c of speech "ok" but there's no need to rationalize.

Also as Christians as most Americans are, the idea of doing as any Continental African knows is done, stepping over dead bodies, stepping over lepers, officials beating people for no reason, etc is strange to us. In our mind we must all be the good samaritan that Jesus talked about this is why white and black americans stop for each other and help each other. Even if racist, we still help each other. Because that is our christian duty.
Honestly I don't have much respect of American religiosity. No one speaks, only yells so they echo can be loud and hollow in the megaplex.

But your comment about Africans. . .let's assume that these things do happen (worse case scenario), do you think it happens b/c people want it to happen? B/c 'we' rejoice in it? What do you think of Ken Saro-Wiwa who ended up in a ditch for fighting back. You sound as though you don't know or here of the Samaritans but they exist.

I am aware though that it could be my cultural misunderstanding of what people mean when they refer to their fellow Nigerians as uneducated or lower classs or not worthy of help.
Honestly, I've never heard Naijas say this. I know people who are a bit full of themselves and I laugh & sometimes make them laugh too. Maybe it's the company you keep (not trying to be snippy). But again, perspective is everything. As you must know, it's easier to "front" w/ outsiders whereas "insiders" would already know how to berate your ass if you went there.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Sista(f): 4:21am On Oct 17, 2006
@Chinani

My point was about the way you read certain situations b/c I think you have some inherent assumptions evidenced by your story.

Not really sure about the evidence you are talking about but maybe if I tell the whole story this will shed some light.

I think I see what you are saying. What I should have included was I really think the AA provoked the situation but it takes two and the Fulani Woman was stooping at a time when she should have remained professional. She was yelling in her shop and she was over her clients head, not to mention, I was sitting in the chair next to her client getting my hair braided by a Somali woman. I didn't bring up that I thought the AA provoked the argument because my main focus was to compare the Fulani woman to Babosisi. I think they react the same way to a situation they feel powerless to. I think this woman and Babosisi resort to talking about how (educated they are amongs other things) in a powerless situation when, who really cares?

I mention the ethnic backgrounds of these women beucause although I think some perceptions of people and how they should act are general, some of them are not and maybe you know something about the Fulani womans culture that you can teach me? Not sure.

The AA woman provoked the argument because she had already gotten her hair braided and she had her hair up for three days before she said she did not like it, to top it off, when she came back to the shop to complain, she had the nerve to ask the owner, the Fulani woman if she had a license to operate her shop because if she did, she would have had her license posted. That was not right to ask any foreign person because it gives them the idea that you think you are better than them and that you think you are superior to them becuase they are in your country. Not to mention the woman who was complaining she worked for the city and the Fulani woman knew that.

My thing is, like I said, it takes two. The Fulani woman had so much anger and obvious hate that she let her self get out of control in her place of business and guess what? I will not be going back to that shop for that reason as well as other reasons concerning how my hair came out. I didn't like my hair either but being that she knows I was there in the shop when all that stuff happened, she may resort to thinking that I, an AA woman is only not liking my hair because I, am AA and I want to cause trouble like the other AA woman did. You see what I am saying? Black people can't even tell each other the truth without the one being told the truth, not taking it personally.

As a braid shop owner, you are going to have some people that try to play you, I know because at one time I did hair for 8 years and I have some story's to tell.

Any how, at all times you must remain professional. Because of how the woman went off, I will not be going back to that shop. I didn't like my hair when the woman finished the first row but before I could tell her I didn't like it, the argument between the Fulani woman and the AA woman had already taken place. In order to not make things worst for the Fulani woman and the Somali woman, I kept my mouth closed and just said to my self, "I will not come back to this shop" plus, I already have a regular braider any way, she just was not available to braid my hair at that time. Any way,  As you know, I have a big mouth. I am not the type to censor my self because of someone else's problems. I said that to say this, If I could have been comfortable with being real to my self and told the woman I did not like my hair, and she tried to fix my hair to satisfy me, I would have stayed a client to that shop. Being that I see how she is angry and suffers with hate of AA women who tell her they do not like their hair, amongs other things, I will not be going back to that shop to support them any more just to censor my self. I will not be keeping my mouth shut for the sake of peace in a place of business where business is first. I am  the one who is paying my money and I will not be punked.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by mamaput(f): 7:51am On Oct 17, 2006
The first set of slaves ever taken were 100 not more and not less.
Go back and read your history. we even learned that in the 6 grade. This was for trial proposes.
I never have claimed to be smart if you read my posts i even claim i did not go to school.
But for someone that went to school you really take one for a fat ride.
History is a subject that is very debatebale and has more than one point of view.

The happy Blacks b4 the white man came swimming in Gold shading no blood. you paint a paradise picture.
But it was not like that .It was a bitter survival of the strong.
And they were not just taking the blacker than black , but the strong people as slaves .The Strong tall people .
I am hearing that your blacker than black stuff for the first time.
maybe you should read normal history and not that propaganda stuff you fill your self with.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by superman(m): 7:56pm On Oct 17, 2006
but shall we posibly NIgerians beleive everything written down by ur slave masters possibly to suit their script! na wa oo
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by somegirl(f): 8:20pm On Oct 17, 2006
Sista: Somegirl, I have a sneakin feeling that someone furnished you with the reply you gave to me for why you brought up those fights, it took you long enough to finally tell me why.

(1) I am not obliged to answer any of your questions.
(2) There are way more important things in my life than an Internet forum.
(3) I was aware of the risk that you could find some ridiculous reason to bash my reply (and you indeed did).
(4) Do you answer ALL the questions that people in here ask you IMMEDIATELY?
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Sista(f): 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2006
@Somegirl

You forgot to add the rest of my quote which was the this below,

Did Mamaput help you because I now see that after you responded to me, you said something to her in what looks like some type of European language. In fact, I'm going to copy what you said to mamaput and have it intepreted.

The quote I am referrring to is this below,

Mamaput, für mich bist du beides, aber wenn du mir entgegnen würdest, du seist "schwarz" oder "weiß" (eines von beiden aber nicht das andere), dann würde deine Meinung mehr wiegen. Jedenfalls würde ich dir nie sagen "du bist nicht ---". Greetings to Germany, my dear.

Your people feared black people because they did not understand how black people could be so black and yet they white people are so white or pink or what have you. They treated black people bad because of what they did not understand.

You are writing something in German in a situation where people are trying to gain trust. I was attempting to get to see you as an individual rather than seeing you in relation to your white relatives an ancestors. When you brought up the fights between the Yuroba, Hausa and Igbo, my distrust in you had awaken. In the process of us trying to clear that up, you spoke in this foreign language which opened up the mistrust again, as we were trying to clear up mis trust. Your taking a long time to finally tell me why you brought up the fights was only a contribution to the already distrust. Instead of my want to seeing you as an individual I still see you as one of them. If you wanted to talk to Mamaput in German, you could have emailed her instead of talking that in this discussion. People should Know what you two were saying. Everyone knows that this is a Nigerian Forum and the chances of people speaking some type of Nigerian language is high. People already know to prepare their self to find some way to interpret some type of Nigerian language but you pose a threat when you speak German in a place where trust is attempting to be built with the use of the languages English and some type of Nigerian language.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by maxell(f): 11:03pm On Oct 17, 2006
Sista:

@Somegirl

but you pose a threat when you speak German in a place where trust is attempting to be built with the use of the languages English and some type of Nigerian language.

This is complete rubbish. What kind of threat ? Sista has once again proven how psychotic she is.

IF ANYONE FEELS SOMEGIRL POSES A THREAT BY WRITING IN GERMAN TO MAMAPUT, PLEASE SAY SO.

racist woman
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by somegirl(f): 11:06pm On Oct 17, 2006
Sista, then please ask me kindly to translate for you and don't jumb to conclusions. It was a reply to one of Mamaput's posts in this thread I was telling her that I won't tell her that she is not "white" or that she is not "black". IMHO, she is both but I will accept whatever she tells me.

No, I won't write anybody in here an email - I prefer to keep my email account and this forum appart. Too bad that we can't write PMs in Nairaland!

PS: If you come across something in German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Dutch, Italian or Portuguese that you wish to read, try http://babelfish.altavista.com. It helps sometimes.  wink
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by somegirl(f): 11:13pm On Oct 17, 2006
Sista: I was attempting to get to see you as an individual rather than seeing you in relation to your white relatives an ancestors.

Really? It would be nice if we could get to understand each other better. I like SOME parts of what you write (e.g. concerning the rights of albinos to be treated just like everybody else and that black people should not fight each other, though I would replace "black people" by "human beings"  grin).
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 17, 2006
somegirl:

Sista, then ask me kindly to translate for you and don't jumb to conclusions. It was a reply to one of Mamaput's posts in this thread I was telling her that I won't tell her that she is not "white" or that she is not "black". IMHO, she is both but I will accept whatever she tells me.

No, I won't write anybody in here an email - I prefer to keep my email account and this forum appart. Too bad that we can't write PNs in Nairaland!

PS: If you come across something in German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russiand, Dutch, Italian or Portuguese that you wish to read, try http://babelfish.altavista.com. It helps sometimes.  wink
@somegirl
Hopefully your very good manners would rub off on her somehow, electronically maybe.
It is obvious who has the problems here.
You cannot be forced to apologise for the sins of your forefathers same way I cannot apologise for the sins of mine who probably may have helped in the selling of their townsmen,I don't know that for sure and even if proven I cannot be held accountable or made to cower down due to the fact.

I have read your few posts on this thread and I have nothing but admiration for you,even in the midst of toxicity,you have remained very calm and civil despite the venom coming your way.

Several on this thread including Drusilla,9to5,myself,maxell,Donzman and a host of others have seen through sista and some have actually cautioned her to stop the hostile name calling,racist attitude and general rotten attitude.
Perhaps your gentle words may eventually cast out those demons or cast her out.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by maxell(f): 11:30pm On Oct 17, 2006
babyosisi:

Perhaps your gentle words may eventually cast out those demons or cast her out.

Somegirl's gentle words ? I don't think so.

Babyosisi, I think you were right when you stated that Sista's situation is beyond Nairaland. It really is beyond nairaland. Even Drusilla (her closest thing to a friend on Nairaland) commented on her militant approach to dialoging with people.

We might need to consult Pope Benedict XVI and others when it comes to casting out Sista's demons
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by somegirl(f): 11:42pm On Oct 17, 2006
Nwaanyi oma, daalu maka ozi gi [good woman, thanks for your post]. But I am not an angel either and sometimes I get very angry too. You wouldn't enjoy my writings when I am really upset.  undecided And I got prejudges as well  embarassed, but I am working on them!

Sometimes, my feeling is, Sista, that you are not as bad as you appear here. MAYBE, it's just your way of trying to make people see your point or the only way you can write when being angry. But I don't have the feeling that your method is very successful or that your anger is doing you any good.

Sista, Babyosisi, Maxell: Ka chi foo nu! [good night]
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 18, 2006
Chineke ekwela ihe ojoo
Somegirl ibu onye Igbo?
I thought na nyanyi a si n'ibu onye ocha?
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 12:05am On Oct 18, 2006
Not one is more innocent than the other or has suffered more than the other. That's the truth, so let's not place all blame on one group, we are all responsible and we need to stop treating each other as if we are our own worst enemy.

Maybe that is the truth but from my point of view, I did not see it that way. AA were bashing CA's more from my point of view. And several members of my family have married Nigerians FOR the money. So that never felt like an "swindle of the AA" to me.

I don't know what you are talking about.

All I mean is that you seem to believe that you are on a Nigerian board, talking to people with a different culture from a different land. That's what others would call the plain reality but what is even more real for me, is that these people have suffered the same exact fate and problems that we have faced. In fact I would say that AA have experienced most everything the Nigerian has and then add in the horror show of living as a minority among whites. To me it means, they are me, just without all the extra experiences.

That is why although I know I wil be rejected by some, I have hope that some day they will wake up, so I keep doing what I do.

I see that you care deeply and you want to be involved with people deeply as your friends. I think your goals are commendable.

The thing is, no one black group of people is better than the other black group, and we are wasting our time pointing fingers, we are acting like children going back and fourth saying who is better and who is not when we all are doing so bad that even If AA's did want to go back to Africa, we would not be doing any better there than we are doing here so what is the use in promoting black unification? Especially when you have Africans who are fleeing Africa as well.

No one black group is better than any other black group on this I agree. However in my mind it is obvious that because of the extra experience that AA have had, we are more qualified to deal with the reality's of shall we say "the West or the White world".

Black unification does not include AA ALL returning to Africa. Maybe the old folks and small children can go back. I heard it is great for rich old black retirees, who can take some of their grandchildren if they like.

Our job is here, this is why God sent us any sooner return before the completion of our task would not be successful. This is why God removed Marcus Garvey.

Black Unification is needful because we need to know who our brother is before we can do as Jesus mentioned: The greatest love is to die for your brother.  smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by delf747(m): 12:25am On Oct 18, 2006
drusilla:

Right now Dompere an Nigerian scholar,  is bringing to the table the most comprehensive over all view of how Afrocentrism should continue to be built between Africa and the Diaspora.

Drusilla,

Here is Edward Kissi on Dompere:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A number of contributors said that Dr. K. K. Dompere's submission (No. 160) lacks comprehension. Here is one remark from Edward Kissi
[All submission will be archived: http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/155.html]

Kofi Kissi Dompere's posting is an example of what is wrong with some of Africa's intellectuals. I would have liked to see Dr. Kissi-Dompere explain, in very simple terms, to the non-economists on the net what he means by "scientific and logical understanding of Africa's difficulties."  I would have benefited from some specific examples from him about what constitutes a "scientific" and "logical"  understanding of a problem? Rather, in a very complex and convoluted sentence construction, he refers his readers  to his book so that they can "understand the nature of the problem and the philosophical implications of development locked in theoretical structures."  What does this long phrase mean? What is the good Dr  trying to communicate that he cannot express in a simple and straightforward manner?. Some say you can imagine the contents of a book by its cover. If  I could not understand the thrust of  the brief posting he sent, because of the rigid prose in which it was cast, why  would I care to read his book?

My "name-sake",  I am a historian and can you please explain to me what you mean by this:

"human history is nothing more than an enveloping of success-failure processes of decision-choice activities in all dimensions of human endeavor."

Can you make it simpler? When I get on the net on everyday, I pray that I would  learn something. I do not have to agree with the views expressed,  but if I can understand what has been written  and follow the author's argument, I can learn a lot. And I have learnt a lot  from many of the postings I have read. I have tried very hard to understand yours, but I have not been able to understand it. Please can you make your ideas and writing accessible, at the very least, to the hundreds of your fellow scholars on the net.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please explain to us if you will what Dompere is talking about in the text I have highlighted in bold.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 12:42am On Oct 18, 2006
I have to say this is dead wrong. Firstly, how do you know or why do you think that the majority of people here aren't of the "peasant class"? What makes you think so? I think that most Americans would consider a majority of African immigrants among the peasant class (if they knew their biz like that). Have you ever read the interviews Freddy Adu (go Ghana!) does w/ his mother? They talked about how they won the (visa) lottery and when they came life was easier. . .but not. I think Africans maybe quieter or just used to talking to "themselves" about these things so you don't here it. Or maybe you only hob knob w/ the paid cats but no, that's not most.

I just read a report about the fact that this is changing, i.e. it used to be mostly the richer class who came to America but now more normal or peasant people are coming and so things are changing. You may be right about that.

Secondly, Americans have a voyeuristic view of Africa. Many anyway. So they want to talk about what they saw on CNN but not get to know the person they are speaking to. People resent that and don't always want to talk about "breaking news" or however CNN defines it.

I am always shocked if I see Africa anywhere in the news, I know it serves some American political purpose and there is really no interest at all in showing Africa other than as a basket case or fun zoo to visit. I agree.

I don't know anything about your 'Shell friend'. The story sounds out of the world to me.

I also have African friends who have offered to let me travel to Africa on with them on American airforce planes. I have been criticized for knowing a certain class of Africans who are treated as royalty in America because they are part of the class that America brings here to train to go back and take over a country.

This is strange to us as Americans first of all because as you know, in America the class system is considered dead.
There's no de jure class system like in Europe but it definitely exists. Ask the Rockefellers.

You can start in the worst class and end in the best class, regardless of education.
That's the myth of the American Dream no? I totally subscribe to Death of a Salesman on this. I think the 'American Dream' is a trite, sales pitch to erode away any of the bitterness wrought by the (invisible) class system.

The idea of the class system being dead, is that you can collect enough dollars to be thought of like the Rockefellers. You can go from country girl to Oprah Winfrey richest woman in the world. Or from housewife to Martha Stewart. Or from trailer to the whitehouse like Bill Clinton. Or be a college drop out to richest man in the world- Bill Gates. From the projects to what is considered musical royalty--Jackson Family. From welfare reciepient to judge on TV, or Rap Star.

That is why the class system is dead not because people are never treated differently. It is just that there is an awareness that you may be talking to the next big person.

If it is a myth, somebody needs to inform JayZ that the 360 million he is now worth, isn't really the money of a boy who grew up on welfare cheese.

[Quote]
What does this have to do with Africans?  "Too well" is a relative term anyway. It's totally arbitrary. If you want to distance yourself from someone b/c of speech "ok" but there's no need to rationalize. [/quote]

Well, CA's have been known for responding to AA arguements by correcting their grammar as if that makes what the AA say wrong, simply because we do not speak in normal English. This is why it seems relative.

Honestly I don't have much respect of American religiosity. No one speaks, only yells so they echo can be loud and hollow in the megaplex.

I wasn't talking about that part of religiosity which I hate. I was talking about the fact that you can get a soup and a sandwich somewhere, can sleep on a church floor on a mattress if your homeless, can get a voucher for gas if you need it, work clothes and that part of christianity that you can find in any town in America, even the racist ones. I had a racist church pay for my hotel room and feed me and give me food but when asked about services was told to go to the black church. Their racism did not stop them from helping me but they did not want me in their midst.

But your comment about Africans. . .let's assume that these things do happen (worse case scenario), do you think it happens b/c people want it to happen? B/c 'we' rejoice in it? What do you think of Ken Saro-Wiwa who ended up in a ditch for fighting back. You sound as though you don't know or here of the Samaritans but they exist.

You got me here, I have his book and story but have not read it yet. It has sat there for literally years. I understand there are some African samarians but I understand that they die to quickly to really get to know them. I once watched a film of an African writer, clearly insane from the pain he experienced as one who had been beaten and couldn't make anyone listen to him or understand him and the pain of the people who he fought for and lost. It was one of the saddest commentary's to me of what the African samaritan faces.

Honestly, I've never heard Naijas say this. I know people who are a bit full of themselves and I laugh & sometimes make them laugh too. Maybe it's the company you keep (not trying to be snippy). But again, perspective is everything. As you must know, it's easier to "front" w/ outsiders whereas "insiders" would already know how to berate your ass if you went there.

I've had at least one specific person say to me -- oh that is the uneducated who call each other brother in Africa. And really considered that enough said --as if being uneducated makes you different.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 12:59am On Oct 18, 2006
"human history is nothing more than an enveloping of success-failure processes of decision-choice activities in all dimensions of human endeavor."

Quite simply:

History is decided by people. Enveloped or fixed the way they like it, in regards to all of the decisions they have made in all people systems.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 1:29am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

I just read a report about the fact that this is changing, i.e. it used to be mostly the richer class who came to America but now more normal or peasant people are coming and so things are changing. You may be right about that.

I also have African friends who have offered to let me travel to Africa on with them on American airforce planes. I[b] have been criticized for knowing a certain class of Africans who are treated as royalty in America because they are part of the class that America brings here to train to go back and take over a country. [/b]

I've had at least one specific person say to me -- oh that is the uneducated who call each other brother in Africa. And really considered that enough said --as if being uneducated makes you different.

Drusilla I know you were not referring to me here but I find it odd that you and most Americans choose to reference Africa as if it were one big homogenous state.
You said several things like African this,African that.
That is a big mistake you all make and continue to make.
There is no 'African culture' or what Africans do.
You caution people on making generalisations but you're so quick to lump a whole continent into one homogenous soup.

Would you be telling a story to the Irish about how Europeans abandon their kids in orphanages due to poverty while relaying a story from a Romanian  in his small Romanian town?

Whenever you hear a story from an African friend (which I've often heard you tell) and you're relaying it,it may be wise to state where the story is coming from.
Some African claims you've made I've never heard of and I was born and raised in Nigeria,West Africa.
Better still take them up on that free offer and spend considerable time in a country in Africa,come back and tell of your first hand experience.
Can I watch 3 episodes of 'cops' and rightly state that all AA men are drug dealers and pimps?
That is akin to so many of your assertions that I've read here.

Many of us here met Kenyans for the first time on the streets of New York.
And who are these people America is bringing over,where was I when they were buying them tickets?

Lastly,a roundtrip ticket from Lagos to New York costs between $1,300 to $2000 depending on the season,who are these 'peasants' coming over here unless of course as you stated somewhere else,the village is paying for their travel.

I must have really missed out on this African village fortune!
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 1:40am On Oct 18, 2006
Mamaput,

Please learn some African history and stop reporting to me American or Indian or Carribean history.

History of Rum:

Colonial America

After rum's development in the Caribbean, the drink's popularity spread to Colonial America. To support the demand for the drink, the first rum distillery in the colonies was set up in 1664 on current day Staten Island. Boston, Massachusetts had a distillery three years later.[7] The manufacture of rum became early Colonial New England's largest and most prosperous industry. The rum produced there was quite popular, and was even considered the best in the world during much of the 18th century. Rhode Island rum even joined gold as an accepted currency in Europe for a period of time.[8] Estimates of rum consumption in the American colonies before the American Revolutionary War had every man, woman, or child drinking an average of 3 Imperial gallons (13.5 liters) of rum each year.[9]

To support this demand for the molasses to produce rum, along with the increasing demand for sugar in Europe during the 17th and 18th centuries, a labor source to work the sugar plantations in the Caribbean was needed. A triangular trade was established between Africa, the Caribbean, and the colonies to help support this need.[10] The circular exchange of slaves, molasses, and rum was quite profitable, and the disruption to the trade caused by the Sugar Act in 1764 may have even helped cause the American Revolution.[9]

The popularity of rum continued after the American Revolution with George Washington insisting on a barrel of Barbados rum at his 1789 inauguration.[11] Eventually the restrictions on rum from the British islands of the Caribbean combined with the development of American whiskey led to a decline in the drink's popularity.

As you can see, slaves were traded so that the English could get the RUM THEY WANTED, not for RUM considered as precious as gold to WHITES.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 1:47am On Oct 18, 2006
Babyosisi,

I have no respect for the ideology pushed by whites, that Africa is too diverse to ever form one large federation of states.

I do not believe in the idea that because we where blue shirts in Kenya, when whites enslaved and colonized Kenya, clearly it was different than what they did to the yellow shirt wearing people of Nigeria, when they enslaved and colonized there.

The different cultures and the made up countries of Africa, are just part of the divide and rule nature that whites put in place to stop Africa's rise.

I don't know a phucking person who lives in New York City, so stupid questions about who put them there (who gave them tickets)and why are they called Americans, is moronic at best.

Their still Americans even though their not Minnesotans.

Kenyans are still Africans even if their not Nigerians.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 18, 2006
Nigeria like America has it's rich and poor classes,educated and illiterate,hard working citizens and criminals.
Homeless and crazy people too.

Until you spend time in an African country you cannot say anything about Africa from experience or even with certainty,there is a chance what you've heard is false.
Before I came to America,all AA were criminals and drug addicts and every city was lit up like Vegas.
Having lived here more than a decade and moved around,I can confidently speak of America and its inhabitants and culture based on knowledge,experience brought about by daily interaction with it's public and not just armed with story books and casual conversations including  laughable hair shop arguments like I read earlier from sista.

If I've offended you by my writing,read it again,I only meant to point out several  relevant issues afterall we are here to lean from one another without any unsightly testosterone-like attitude as some would prefer.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 18, 2006
Babyosisi,

I have no respect for the ideology pushed by whites, that Africa is too diverse to ever form one large federation of states.

I do not believe in the idea that because we where blue shirts in Kenya, when whites enslaved and colonized Kenya, clearly it was different than what they did to the yellow shirt wearing people of Nigeria, when they enslaved and colonized there.

The different cultures and the made up countries of Africa, are just part of the divide and rule nature that whites put in place to stop Africa's rise.

I don't know a phucking person who lives in New York City, so stupid questions about who put them there (who gave them tickets)and why are they called Americans, is moronic at best.

Have you ever visited an African country? The difference in culture is way more than the difference between Minnesotans and New Yorkers. Please get your facts straight, African cultures are far from homogenous and no the difference isn't as a result of the white man's conquer and rule. Man, falsifying things make sick.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Babyosisi,

The name calling in the later part of your posting was quite unecessary but I guess that may be your own unique style.
I doubt if any Africans or Nigerians would agree with you based on our living there.
It is not possible for you to tell us what is best for us speaking from thousands of miles away.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 1:55am On Oct 18, 2006
Most Nigerians agree that the Northern part of Nigeria should have been a different country.
Igbos believe they should be their own nation and you an AA born and raised in America says we should all be one happy African nation,you must have a very poor knowledge of Africa as a whole.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 1:56am On Oct 18, 2006
Babyosisi,

Africa like Nigeria has it's rich and poor. Kenya too. Your still Africans.

I do not have to become a lesbian or a drug addict or a socialite or a rockefeller to say something about any of these things. This is the purpose of education to teach you about things that you may never experience personally.

Why even believe that Africa is a place or that it really exist at all, if experiencing it is the only way to validate the ideas of it?

Why did you believe that America existed? Because you believed what you heard.

That is how we all learn. If it is false we may find out later, if it is true we may find out later but we don't need to experience it to discuss it.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 2:00am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Babyosisi,

Africa like Nigeria has it's rich and poor. Kenya too. Your still Africans.

I do not have to become a lesbian or a drug addict or a socialite or a rockefeller to say something about any of these things. This is the purpose of education to teach you about things that you may never experience personally.

Why even believe that Africa is a place or that it really exist at all, if experiencing it is the only way to validate the ideas of it?

Why did you believe that America existed? Because you believed what you heard.

That is how we all learn. If it is false we may find out later, if it is true we may find out later but we don't need to experience it to discuss it.

You are so wrong here.
An American has no right whatsoever to tell Africans what is best for them because he/she believes in some afrocentric mago mago that only works on paper.
You cannot legitimately lecture on 'joys of being a lesbian' if you are not one.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 2:01am On Oct 18, 2006
Donzman,

Have you ever visited an African country? The difference in culture is way more than the difference between Minnesotans and New Yorkers. Please get your facts straight, African cultures are far from homogenous and no the difference isn't as a result of the white man's conquer and rule. Man, falsifying things make sick.

In Kenya do they shit out of their feet? Do they have an three arms? Do they eat dirt and throw away food?

Whatever differences they have they are superficial at best.

I am even starting to think that the Kenyan men must get pregnant the way you talk as if the differences are so much.
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 2:01am On Oct 18, 2006
Yes we are still African,now can you tell me what is best for mexico since you and Mexicans are North Americans?
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Donzman,

In Kenya do they shit out of their feet? Do they have an three arms? Do they eat dirt and throw away food?

I am even starting to think that the Kenyan men must get pregnant the way you talk as if the differences are so much.

Europeans do neither of those things and that doesn't mean they have the same cultures as Africans. I guess Africa and Europe should unite to form a huge continent. shocked
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Donzman,

Now you are beginning to sound ridiculous all the above apply also to Indians,Chinese and Cambodian,all Asians in a homogenous Asian world.
Now how does that sound
Re: What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? by Drusilla(f): 2:08am On Oct 18, 2006
The name calling in the later part of your posting was quite unecessary but I guess that may be your own unique style.
I doubt if any Africans or Nigerians would agree with you based on our living there.
It is not possible for you to tell us what is best for us speaking from thousands of miles away.

I apologize for what you percieve as name calling. I also firmly believe that I am African. I don't consider anybody to be more or less African than myself. So I do not need anybody's permission to give my opinion about Africa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Woman Who Married Herself Considers Divorce The Following Day / Have You Ever Loved Someone Without Being Loved In Return? / Reasons Why You Should Try Online Dating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.