Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos (14668 Views)

CIA Agent Trying To Recruit Russian Intelligence Officer Detained In Moscow - FS / Fifteen US States File Petition To Secede From The United States / The United States Is The Only Country That Have Laws For Its Citizens Happiness! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by superboi(m): 1:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
well this is very strategic and sensible on the path of the usa(in their own pespective). if they estimate that our bel***ved country will fail in 10 yrs or so, it is in foresight they are preparing an army that will be able to blend into the terrain and protect their intrest. nigerian govt (if they can be wise for once) should try and check mate this by also building and really intergrating people from igbo extraction to check mate this move early.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by abes(m): 2:00pm On Feb 16, 2009
Ha ha, they don't want our country to develop. They are taking our mathematicians for BBQ. lol,
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by youngies(m): 2:02pm On Feb 16, 2009
harry2009:

why the ibos, i wonder, ooo, this us stuff dey wan take all the ibo commot for nigeria and take them to afghanistan and iraqi mak osama kill dem finish. dem bi the only person wey dey
cause for trouble for nigeria. lest i forget make dem put the south south too so that nigeria go fit better.
Dude get off those drugs and seek help!  undecided
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Feb 16, 2009
But could this not simply be because there seem to be more Ibos than Yorubas and hausa's in New York? I am not exactly sure of the numbers but in NY, you have ibos most every where you go there. As for Hausas, I have only met about 2 or so here in the US. Not sure Hausa's travel as much as the other tribes do to USA.  I do see the mention of 35 languages. Who knows, Yoruba could be on the list. grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by bgees(m): 3:01pm On Feb 16, 2009
maybe the U.S see eastern Nigeria as a potential hotbed. so i feel they are just planning ahead. or do they want to support the actualization of Biafra?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Hauwa1: 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2009
the the south south, niger delta and hausa should be the best for them . . . less training. those pple are ogbologbo with weapon. why not use them. i smell a dead rat grin  they just might not know how to distinquish naija lang maybe. if i go there and blow hausa or yoruba to the recuiting sergent, he might think it is Igbo.

maybe because Igbo are level headed and friendly. maybe because they take their job serious.

maybe the AA are the once doing the recommendation some are married to Igbo and used to nollywood.

eg Hero and KB1. aha! Hero might be the recruiting sergent with KB1 too.  grin grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 16, 2009

You gats be mad. Ibos workhard for their money unlike the lazy yorubas that beg for money with scopes everywhere on the street
Must you bash a whole tribe just because of one (or two, countng you also) tribalistic monkey? undecided
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by kamsi(f): 3:49pm On Feb 16, 2009
Am amazed that a lot of people don't realize that the reason for USA recruiting only Igbos is because the actualization of the Biafran State is almost at hand. USA invests only in what is profitable also they are fully in support of Biafra ( so says the activists)
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
Igbo Kwenu!!! grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by debosky(m): 3:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
kamsi:

Am amazed that a lot of people don't realize that the reason for USA recruiting only Igbos is because the actualization of the Biafran State is almost at hand. USA invests only in what is profitable also they are fully in support of Biafra ( so says the activists)
I am even more amazed by your ignorance.  sad

Who informed you that 'only Igbos' are being recruited? What about Indians? Is the actualization of India, Nepal and others also at hand   What about the Pashto Language? I guess they are about to be actualized as a sovereign country as well.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 4:05pm On Feb 16, 2009
In a bid to meet recruitment goal, the ARMY has dropped its qualification requirement.  The bar has been dropped and certain profiles, like high school dropouts, felony convicts, schizophrenias and behavioral problem candidates, that were screened in the past are now given the waiver to join.  The short term swell in number of recruits is enabling the ARMY to meet its goal.   grin grin

Ok, jokes apart. . . Here is the story line, this is National Security Adviser in his daily security brief to President Obama.

In the case of Nigeria, Mr President, there is a ethnic group, the Igbos, that is increasingly claiming to be a Jewish tribe.  We checked with Jewish leaders and they dismissed their claim as wishful fantasy. This group fought a war and lost their national cause, the Biafra, some decades back but are still agitating for a split from the federation.  Our recommendation is to ally with this group for pivotal advantage in the Oil sector.  We received a analysis report back from Pentagon yesterday clearing the way.  This morning the Director of CIA has approved funding for the field program and they will station attaches locally in Nigeria to work out the covert execution.  Secretary Clinton has clarified with our Consulate and initiated staff team for the program, it will be coordinated from the University campuses in Enugu, the center of Igbo land.

Ok, James, how does this alliance work?

Mr President, as it stands Russia and China is meddling in the affairs of Nigeria and are in the ears of the Hausas negotiating with them for acquisitions in the Delta area. We intend to coerce the Igbos into believing their language is in ranks and thus the speakers of the Igbo language are an indispensable resource for the ARMY.  We offer them citizenship in exchange for their service in our ARMY.  Once we put our uniform on them they become our property and they take the oath of allegiance where we teach them that giving support or aiding a foreign interest against that of America is treason and punishable under the law.  We then insert them into territories in Nigeria where they could reverse the tactical failures of Biafra war and effectively accomplish their own goal for a Biafra nation.  If they fail, . . .Mr President, we have no knowledge of who they are.  If they succeed, the alliance is secured and we have succeeded in eliminating Russia and or China from that strategic energy point.  

I see, clever!  How about MOSOP, where do they fit in, James?

Mr President, the MOSOP is a unnecessary diversion that has been hijacked by the Hausas for silencing critics of its unequitable interest in the oil profit sharing.  It is a powerful force as long as the federation is intact.  If you carve out Biafra, Delta is coming along out of Nigeria and you can then subvert the MOSOP people. . .the people of the Delta to Igbo rulership. Our ally will be the majority and all other ethnics in the area will be minorities.  If in future the Igbos pull the Saddam trick on us we will use the Noriega tactic on them.  

Thank you, what piority is it in?  

It's at 6, Sir.

If we must defeat the Russian and China interest we need to move fast.  Ratchet it up two levels.

Confirmed two levels Mr President!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2009
I've always wondered, what does Igbo Kwenu mean? Welcome Igbo?

kamsi:

debosky:

I am even more amazed by your ignorance. sad
rotflmao
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by toosoon(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2009
Igbos are intelligent,clever,bright,gifted,sharp,quick and so on, they are the so many reasons why they want an Ibo man, due to the economic crunch affecting the US they want to spend less and still achieve their aim that is why they are looking for Igbos, remember how they (Igbos) manufacture bombs during the civil war, this is one major reason why Biafra flag will continue to fly high in US. wink winkI am proud to be an Ibo man!Igbo Kwenu!!!! grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 4:22pm On Feb 16, 2009
The strategic importance of Igbos is more often appreciated overseas than locally. I once encountered a white Professor who not only told me the meaning of my long Igbo name, but why Igbos have names that sound like sentences. This man proceeded to show me a census map of Nigeria in the 1950s- with Mbaise/Owerri provence having the highest population density per square mile compared to another West African region.

Next, he showed me how Igbos have scattered all over Nigeria, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Ivory Coast, and most of the W. African sub-region. He said they have used the term locust to describe Igbo movements around the the Sub-Saharan areas over the past 20-30 years. Finally, he said Igbo is the only language you will hear in just about any city with grocery stores all over the W.African coast, because these Igbos trade a lot.

While this may not be the only reason for trying to recruit Igbo, and other native speakers into the US army, it should be appreciated that the US intelligent services have impeccable data about who is who in Africa and other continents.

Also, a friend who works there told me that the Igbo language department of the intelligent garthering services of the wire-tapping agency ranks second only to Swahili among African Languages.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by chihums(m): 4:28pm On Feb 16, 2009
Igbo Kwenu. yaar!! kwezuo nu o. yaar!!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by lacrimose(f): 4:32pm On Feb 16, 2009
"The Army’s one-year pilot program will begin in New York City to recruit about 550 temporary immigrants  who speak one or more of 35 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Igbo (a tongue spoken in Nigeria),  Kurdish, Nepalese, Pashto, Russian and Tamil. Spanish speakers are not eligible. "

First of all, they've only mentioned the first ten, nobody knows the other 25 languages that would be recruited. So they might recruit other tribes in nigeria as well.

Also, there are other conditions

1. You need to be a legal immigrant to qualify
3. You must have lived in the US for the past two years (legally)
3. You must have a college degree or an advanced degree

I also question their motives if only igbos are recruited because, i am sure igbo is not one the languages spoken in Iraq and Afghanistan except if US is expecting a war to erupt in nigeria in the next few years.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Grizzly(m): 4:32pm On Feb 16, 2009
Before u go, remember the TALIBAN  shocked
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 4:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
First of all, they've only mentioned the first ten, nobody knows the other 25 languages that would be recruited. So they might recruit other tribes in nigeria as well.

True, but I doubt Yoruba will be one of them. After repeated infiltration into US Navy, some of which were embarassing, the Yorubas are not likely their favorite. US is looking for puppets, not peers. grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by lacrimose(f): 4:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

True, but I doubt Yoruba will be one of them. After repeated infiltration into US Navy, some of which were embarassing, the Yorubas are not likely their favorite. US is looking for puppets, not peers. grin

We'll see what happens. The rest of the list should be published by the end of this week or next week. Also, i hope i am not being stereotypical or tribal but hey after all the apu our igbo men have eaten, shu they are strong enough to take on the middle east. It might also be a way to track down all these 419 boys. I am just not sure if any nigerian is ready to die for anybody. We wont even die for our brothers let alone another country
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by debosky(m): 5:03pm On Feb 16, 2009
naijaking1:

Also, a friend who works there told me that the Igbo language department of the intelligent garthering services of the wire-tapping agency ranks second only to Swahili among African Languages.
Can you please explain this 'strategic importance'?  

If there is so much focus on tapping Igbo conversations, it could mean a couple of things:

1. Igbos are engaging in nefarious activities and need to be monitored
  - as a result there is need for a large intelligence gathering unit to monitor Igbos and control their nefarious deeds.

2. Igbo is a preferred language for other groups performing nefarious activities, thus the need to follow the conversations.

3.  Igbos are planning on subverting the Nigerian state, thus the US wants to know when this happens so it can

a. decide to inform the Nigerian government to quell the revolt

OR

b. support/aid the new Biafra government.

4. A lot of communication occurs between Igbos in the US and those spread all over the world, hence serving as a useful source of information on happenings in various countries across the world.

5. The US wants to spy on Igbo trade secrets and technology e.g. the Ogbwunike (or is it Ogbunikwe )

6. The US wants to incorporate the Igbo's intellect/inventiveness into the army.

Frankly, I don't think there is much to be elated about here, except your visa is about to expire soon and you live in NY and are Igbo.  cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 16, 2009
Whatever their reasons might be for wanting to recruit Igbos into the US army, I am sure its not just for tapping phone conversation of Igbos.
For me, i feel this move has a lot to do with the state of nigeria.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2009
nuzo:

Whatever their reasons might be for wanting to recruit Igbos into the US army, I am sure its not just for tapping phone conversation of Igbos.

I dont think so
!!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 5:20pm On Feb 16, 2009
Look at the second bullet point in this article. . . this is why Igbo is being sought for ARMY training.  

http://mountainrunner.us/2006/02/us_military_inf.html
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Mamajama(m): 5:29pm On Feb 16, 2009
1st of all, this story and the journalist who published it are misleading. The is no place through the application process where it specifically states that the DHS is looking and seeking IGBO people or translators.

To go through the job applicant process you have to access this site listed below and select the department that fits your needs.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/dhscareers/

People please reserch stories before posting and misleading people.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2009
1st of all, this story and the journalist who published it are misleading. The is no place through the application process where it specifically states that the DHS is looking and seeking IGBO people or translators.

To go through the job applicant process you have to access this site listed below and select the department that fits your needs.

THE ARMY! Not DHS. Separate application process. The qualified candidates walk into army recruit office or go online and express interest and will be invited to a local recruit center for the pep talk.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 5:37pm On Feb 16, 2009
'Jama, your link is for civil service. We are talking about military service.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Ngoman: 5:38pm On Feb 16, 2009
Am interested
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

I dont think so
!!

Thats your own opinion and i respect it. I have stated mine.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Mamajama(m): 5:42pm On Feb 16, 2009
listed below are the fields the army is hiring for

Interpreter/Translator (09L)

Arabic-Modern Standard
Arabic-Gulf-Iraqi
Arabic-Egyptian
Arabic-Levantine
Arabic-Syrian
Arabic-Lebanese
Arabic-Yemeni
Arabic-Sudanese
Arabic-Maghrebi
Arabic-Algerian
Arabic-Libyan
Arabic-Moroccan
Arabic-Tunisian
Pushtu/Pashto/Pachto
Pushtu-Afghan
Kurdish
Kurdish-Behdini (Kurmanji)
Kurdish-Sorani
Persian-Afghan (Dari)
Persian-Iranian (Farsi)

Someone please provide us with a link where IGBO or IBO was specifically listed as a requirement?

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=155
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by debosky(m): 5:44pm On Feb 16, 2009
nuzo:

Why do you all think this way? Is it that Igbos suffer from undue ethnocentrism, looking for any mention of the Igbos and somehow linking that back to getting Biafra actualised?

In my humble opinion, in terms of oil production quantities, the Igbos are not very different from the Yorubas, and even in terms of local politics/crises, there is more to be gained in chasing Ijaws, Urhobos, Itshekiris or Efiks/Ibibios than there would be in chasing Igbos, if the intent is to secure oil production assets for the US.

But then again, I might be wrong.

@ Mamajama

It would help if you would READ sometimes.  cheesy The OP clearly included a link to a New York Times article on the matter.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by asha80(m): 5:46pm On Feb 16, 2009
But seroiusly why are the US interested in igbo speakers
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Mamajama(m): 5:51pm On Feb 16, 2009
@debosky an ill-informed mind is a cripple mind. So because the poster posted a link means we should not research and do our home work to make sure we are not been misinformed with wrong information?

in this day in age, with information technology any person who cares to know the truth just have to do their homework.

I am asking someone to please post a link where it clearly said or has the requirements that the army is seeking IGBO KWENU.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya / Kenyan Politician Confesses To Spending $500,000 On Witchcraft To Win Elections! / 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.