Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,611 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos (14669 Views)

CIA Agent Trying To Recruit Russian Intelligence Officer Detained In Moscow - FS / Fifteen US States File Petition To Secede From The United States / The United States Is The Only Country That Have Laws For Its Citizens Happiness! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by debosky(m): 5:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
Mamajama:

@debosky an ill-informed mind is a cripple mind. So because the poster posted a link means we should not research and do our home work to make sure we are not been misinformed with wrong information?

in this day in age, with information technology any person who cares to know the truth just have to do their homework.

I am asking someone to please post a link where it clearly said or has the requirements that the army is seeking IGBO KWENU.

Stop acting like a cretin. If you bothered to READ the initial link, you would have noticed the following :

The Army’s one-year pilot program will begin in New York City to recruit about 550 temporary immigrants who speak one or more of 35 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Igbo (a tongue spoken in Nigeria), Kurdish, Nepalese, Pashto, Russian and Tamil. Spanish speakers are not eligible. The Army’s program will also include about 300 medical professionals to be recruited nationwide. Recruiting will start after Department of Homeland Security officials update an immigration rule in coming days.

That means it has NOT begun, it WILL begin. So why are you asking for a link when the immigration rule required to initiate the recruitment has not been updated?

On second thoughts, you might actually be a cretin, not acting like one. grin cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 16, 2009
debosky:

Why do you all think this way? Is it that Igbos suffer from undue ethnocentrism, looking for any mention of the Igbos and somehow linking that back to getting Biafra actualised?

In my humble opinion, in terms of oil production quantities, the Igbos are not very different from the Yorubas, and even in terms of local politics/crises, there is more to be gained in chasing Ijaws, Urhobos, Itshekiris or Efiks/Ibibios than there would be in chasing Igbos, if the intent is to secure oil production assets for the US.

But then again, I might be wrong.

Na waah oo, i cant remember mentioning oil and whatever you took your time to type here. shocked
But, like you rightly stated; you might be wrong just like how i might also be wrong.

The bottom line is that we should both hold on to our different opinions if it makes our ewudu and egwusi soup sweet. cheesy

asha 80:

But seroiusly why are the US interested in igbo speakers  

Nobody here have been able to answer that, but when i gave my thoughts, debonsky quickly tried to bully me by saying that Igbos were ethnocentric, even though my thoughts were very plain.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Mamajama(m): 6:03pm On Feb 16, 2009
there is no credibility to this story.  under united state constitution you have to be USA citizen to be recruited to the arm forces.  

This legislation has to go through senate if it will be rectify.  We can go back and forth on this issue, I hate silly and misleading journalism.

Just because we have a black president don't mean we have no law in the USA.   grin  grin  This is not ABIA state abeg.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Mamajama(m): 6:06pm On Feb 16, 2009
IGBO people that I know are law abiding citizens and good people.

All the ethnocentric and segregationist that we have on this forum should stop promoting Biafra before we expose them
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by KarmaMod(f): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2009
But could this not simply be because there seem to be more Ibos than Yorubas and hausa's in New York? I am not exactly sure of the numbers but in NY, you have ibos most every where you go there

Um Not true. Majority live in places like Texas, Maryland, etc

The same US that doesnt accept Nigerian blood for donation and such?

Anyway osisi I suggest you tell your brothers to be careful, cant trust this country. might wanna use them as experiments for warfare biochemicals
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 6:10pm On Feb 16, 2009
'Jama,

The discussion has been going for years.  There is a new world order funnelled by the Project for a New American Century and their objective is to blanket the planet with American presence, whether on the surface or under the cover of secrecy.  It started during Clinton years.  We can argue for or against the morality of it but the American intervention in Mogadishu was not truly a peace mission as was broadcasted.  It was part and parcel of the Project and the vision was to do to Suez canal what they did in Panama.  After few casualties, Clinton withdrew his forces.  It was part of the accusations against Clinton that his withdrawal from Mogadishu resulted in an unbearable cost and embarassment when USS Cole was bombed off the coast in Yemen.  

So guess what Bush did after he became President?  He stationed a permanent US Naval base on the horn of Africa. He intended to expand on that ideology of the New Century and so they started discussing about strategic collateral spots in Africa.  Nigerian Delta is one of them and was at one time considered secured but with Chinese interest, the balance must be overturned.  This is why they are looking for indigenes of that area as allies against the Chinese.  

But you will think the Deltans will be their choice.  NO!  America desires an ally that is struggling within an imbalance of shaky political identity. Hence the Igbos.  Politically, they are on a shaky ground whichever way you cut it; as part of Nigerian Federation or independent as Biafra.  

The recruitment is an executive order that will originate from White House but is led by Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), collaborated with Pentagon, State and CIA.  I suspect DHS will be involved as well.  It is not a directive from the Army Chief and that's why it's not on their website, although he has to implement the headcount attrition.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Feb 16, 2009
KarmaMod:

Um Not true. Majority live in places like Texas, Maryland, etc
Ibos live everywhere in the US. NY is one of the cities where Ibos reside.

KarmaMod:

The same US that doesnt accept Nigerian blood for donation and such?
hhmmm, should we now neglect the rules that make you ineligible in this case and claim it is simply because they are Nigerians? Can you at least provide proof for this claim.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Sauron1: 6:12pm On Feb 16, 2009
PurestBoy:

You gats be mad. Ibos workhard for their money unlike the lazy yorubas that beg for money with scopes everywhere on the street

You are a flaming retard. . . . .
Anuofia!!!!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 6:12pm On Feb 16, 2009
Topic

Good news for my igbo bros
! grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

You are a flaming retard. . . . .
Anuofia!!!!

LMFAO! grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by KarmaMod(f): 6:16pm On Feb 16, 2009
Ibos live everywhere in the US. NY is one of the cities where Ibos reside.

Um did I say otherwise? I quoted you cos you stated that there are more Igbos* in NY than Yorubas which is not true.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 6:17pm On Feb 16, 2009
@Debosky
The strategic importance of monitoring Igbo spoken all over the World lies on all the points you've mentioned, are they not important enough for you? Next time you go conversing in Igbo thinking Oyinbo no dey hear, beware!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 6:19pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

! grin

What good news? Nobody really knows what these people are up to.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Sauron1: 6:22pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

! grin

If they don't send em to the high altitude areas of Afghanistan or to Zimbabwe to fight Mugabe's Zanu PF-thugs. grin cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 6:23pm On Feb 16, 2009
naijaking1:

What good news? Nobody really knows what these people are up to.

What do you think they are up to?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by KarmaMod(f): 6:24pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

hhmmm,  should we now neglect the rules that make you ineligible in this case and claim it is simply because they are Nigerians? Can you at least provide proof for this claim.

I assume you can research things on your own especially since my comment is something that shouldnt be news to anyone

QUESTION: Can you donate if you have been out of the country?
Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after moving to the United States after living in a country where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where “mad cow disease” is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD). Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate, a requirement related to concerns about HIV.

Were born in or lived in any of the following countries since 1977: Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Niger or Nigeria

Is that ok with you?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2009
Mamajama:

there is no credibility to this story.  under united state constitution you have to be USA citizen to be recruited to the arm forces.  

This legislation has to go through senate if it will be rectify.  We can go back and forth on this issue, I hate silly and misleading journalism.

Just because we have a black president don't mean we have no law in the USA.   grin  grin  This is not ABIA state abeg.

I thought Debosky was just being mean when he said you can't read, but with the above post, I might even agree with him. This recruitment is for Igbo speakers(not just for Igbo people only-my Ishan friend who grew up in Onitsha is already trying to apply) into the army , and subsequent eligibility to apply for citizenship after only 6-months, instead of more than 10 years of living in the US.
Please read the news again.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by KarmaMod(f): 6:27pm On Feb 16, 2009
Ironic how South Africa, HIV heaven isnt on the list.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 6:28pm On Feb 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

If they don't send em to the high altitude areas of Afghanistan or to Zimbabwe to fight Mugabe's Zanu PF-thugs. grin cheesy

Hehehee!! grin cheesy

I am sure my igbo brothers can withstand the test

Original OKRIKAAA
! grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 6:29pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

What do you think they are up to?
Honestly, I don't know. I remain suspicious.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2009
naijaking1:

Honestly, I don't know. I remain suspicious.

Me too grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by NegroNtns(m): 6:31pm On Feb 16, 2009
. . .As testimony to the ambition, let us consider the recent hype about pirates off the coast of Somalia.  What was the response?  Navies from more than 20 countries around the world converged in that territory.  Does it take that much firepower to dissuade pirates?  NO!  There is a political point to it.  Russia and China got involved and so did NATO.  They are not protecting Africans from deadly pirates and they are not protecting merchant ships from loss either because doing so will then create an imbalance of demand/supply factor in cargo insurance.  They did it for one reason only - SUEZ CANAL.

We in Africa are so far behind developments that the trend that currently hold priority in our discussions were events that happened 15 or more years ago in our backyard and we didn't even know it.  We will not realize the importance of world powers juggling for position at the entrance to SUEZ CANAL for another 10yrs to come by which time the benefits and profits are old.  

Joining the US Army is good for the Igbo if at the end of the day and when the mission is ended he will become a landowner and an oil prospector in the Delta region that he fought to secure.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Treetop20(m): 6:41pm On Feb 16, 2009
a lot of tribalists
on nairaland
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Sauron1: 6:45pm On Feb 16, 2009
Treetop20:

a lot of tribalists
on nairaland

Hypocritical scumbags you mean. . . . .
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

. . .As testimony to the ambition, let us consider the recent hype about pirates off the coast of Somalia.  What was the response?  Navies from more than 20 countries around the world converged in that territory.  Does it take that much firepower to dissuade pirates?  NO!  There is a political point to it.  Russia and China got involved and so did NATO.  They are not protecting Africans from deadly pirates and they are not protecting merchant ships from loss either because doing so will then create an imbalance of demand/supply factor in cargo insurance.  They did it for one reason only - SUEZ CANAL.

We in Africa are so far behind developments that the trend that currently hold priority in our discussions were events that happened 15 or more years ago in our backyard and we didn't even know it.  We will not realize the importance of world powers juggling for position at the entrance to SUEZ CANAL for another 10yrs to come by which time the benefits and profits are old.  

Joining the US Army is good for the Igbo if at the end of the day and when the mission is ended he will become a landowner and an oil prospector in the Delta region that he fought to secure.

Oga,
You almost lost me there. The thing about Suez canal and Igbos joining US army? ----just didn't get it. Igbo people's ambition, despite what you've been told, has never been to seize the oil producing lands from their Niger Delta cousins. Some of these cousins not only speak Igbo, but remain culturally, and genetically homogenious with their mainland brothers and sisters. Seizing a land from you neighbors just because you're in the US army wouldn't be what most Igbo people would do.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by asha80(m): 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2009
I thought Debosky was just being mean when he said you can't read, but with the above post, I might even agree with him. This recruitment is for Igbo speakers not just for Igbo [/[b]b] people only-my Ishan friend who grew up in Onitsha is already trying to apply into the army , and subsequent eligibility to apply for citizenship after only 6-months, instead of more than 10 years of living in the US.
Please read the news again.

Maybe my tiv friend who is US at the moment might want to enlist since he speaks fluent igbo even more than me because he was born and brought up in owerri.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by osisi2(f): 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
Please my Igbo brothers should be careful.
I hope they're not trying to render our men strerile in order to decrease our population by force grin
God won't agree

1 Like

Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Treetop20(m): 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

Hypocritical scumbags you mean. . . . .
it churns my stomach
that is why i do not come to the
culture section
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2009
**osisi:

I hope they're not trying to render our men strerile in order to decrease our population by force grin
God won't agree
Amen cheesy cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by KarmaMod(f): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
**osisi link=topic=234592.msg3475076 #msg3475076 date=1234806497:

God won't agree

Either that or turn them crazy. The US has a history of completely screwing their own people in the military not to talk of foreigners.

Berra send a memo to that one who was looking for a way to leave Naija by container. grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
Treetop20:

it churns my stomach
culture section

Unfortunately, that is the real "one nigeria"; face it or stand and match on it.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Sauron1: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
Treetop20:

it churns my stomach
culture section

For shizzle??
Matter of fact, their tribalism is the only reason i come here.
It gives me an opportunity to identify the hypocritical asswipes that are intellectually myopic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya / Kenyan Politician Confesses To Spending $500,000 On Witchcraft To Win Elections! / 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.