Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos (14751 Views)

CIA Agent Trying To Recruit Russian Intelligence Officer Detained In Moscow - FS / Fifteen US States File Petition To Secede From The United States / The United States Is The Only Country That Have Laws For Its Citizens Happiness! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Moonstone(f): 12:49am On Feb 19, 2009
Igbo or Ibo, whichever one - I think there is a catch. People better watch it before they ask to be recruited. I think they are enlisting their lives in Iraq.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by spoilt(f): 12:55am On Feb 19, 2009
Moonstone:

Igbo or Ibo, whichever one - I think there is a catch. People better watch it before they ask to be recruited. I think they are enlisting their lives in Iraq.

The know that perfectly well. Anything for the blue passport. undecided
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Moonstone(f): 1:06am On Feb 19, 2009
spoilt:

The know that perfectly well. Anything for the blue passport. undecided
I don't think Death is worth it. Of what use is the blue passport if one is six feet under?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by spoilt(f): 2:10am On Feb 19, 2009
the passport will be put on the dead person's chest. grin. lets see if it will let him get past St Peter at the pearly gates. grin grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Moonstone(f): 2:13am On Feb 19, 2009
spoilt:

the passport will be put on the dead person's chest. grin. lets see if it will let him get past St Peter at the pearly gates. grin grin
Lol! I thought that the passport was only used on this side of life. I did not think it would work at Heaven's gates. That would be fun. cheesy cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by kwenu: 2:58am On Feb 19, 2009
THE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR MY PEOPLE grin IGBO KWENU! KWEZU ENU
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MandingoII(m): 3:11am On Feb 19, 2009
YEAH!!!!

Go DIE for my country.

This is Ridiculous. I'd rather be unemployed in the basement of my mothers house than be in Afganistan in SEARING 135 degree heat, in all that DUST AND MUCK, DYING!!!!

The Military is NO-PLACE for a blackman.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by thetruth90: 9:24am On Feb 19, 2009
kwenu:

THE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR MY FOOLISH PEOPLE grin IGBO KWENU! KWEZU ENU

yes.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Paeksi(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2009
Abegy!, america's overated jo.dem no fit find Africans for betta thing na to join theyr'e army?, make we dey kpai for frontline abi?, if i hear
angrys
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by alhajiy2k(m): 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2009
Let the Igbos or anybody for that matter go and join the US army for the sake of citezenship. The hausa say if a stranger involves himself and dies in a foreign war his death will not be regretted.
No sane African, no mattrer how desparate, should stake his life for the sake of America or any western country for that matter- they are not worth it. Many nairalanders will agree with me that the west and America are largely responsible for our underdevelopment and decay- slavery, colonialsm, economic dependance and exploitation etc The Americans walked out of a conference when the issue of apology to Africa for slavery was raised. Yet they championed the cause of Jews that they are still being paid billions of dollars by German firms that used them during the Nazi Era. What a double standard!
HAUWA
My sister you must be aware that the typical hausa man is not a desperado. They call us conservatives because we dont swallow everything foreign hook, line and sinker. Thats why our culture still remain intact. The Americans will not even try it to recruit hausa into their army. We know all their antics. When I told my southern Nigerian brothers that we up north knew the whiteman before them(southerners) they said I was bluffing.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by udezue(m): 8:44pm On Feb 19, 2009
They wouldn't want suicide bombers in their military aka Hausa/Fulani ppl.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 19, 2009
thetruth90:

yes.

That's so unethical, cowardly, hypocritical of you to alter another person's comment.
You could have altered it with crediting to the original poster or without putting it in quote?

This should be the first time i'm getting angry at someone on nairaland. angry angry angry angry

To me, this is fraud.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by ikeyman00(m): 10:12pm On Feb 19, 2009
ahajiy2k
My sister you must be aware that the typical hausa man is not a desperado. They call us conservatives because we dont swallow everything foreign hook, line and sinker. Thats why our culture still remain intact. The Americans will not even try it to recruit hausa into their army. We know all their antics. When I told my southern Nigerian brothers that we up north knew the whiteman before them(southerners) they said I was bluffing.

well me not too sure if yall are black,nigerian,or arab moslem

desperado could implies wastin away life or laziness in the living
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by muhsin(m): 11:32pm On Feb 19, 2009
grin shocked
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by jimmyjam: 12:34am On Feb 20, 2009
ahh nna igbo man will plan another biafran war in america and remove obama lol they will then install ojukwu as nkemba yankee lol
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by MrCrackles(m): 12:37am On Feb 20, 2009
I fit enlist?

My inlaws are Igbo and i have an Igbo name, UWADIEGWU
!! cheesy
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by naijaking1: 3:37am On Feb 20, 2009
alhajiy2k:

Let the Igbos or anybody for that matter go and join the US army for the sake of citezenship. [b]The hausa say if a stranger involves himself and dies in a foreign war his death will not be regretted.[/b]No sane African, no mattrer how desparate, should stake his life for the sake of America or any western country for that matter- they are not worth it. Many nairalanders will agree with me that the west and America are largely responsible for our underdevelopment and decay- slavery, colonialsm, economic dependance and exploitation etc The Americans walked out of a conference when the issue of apology to Africa for slavery was raised. Yet they championed the cause of Jews that they are still being paid billions of dollars by German firms that used them during the Nazi Era. What a double standard!
HAUWA

You think many Igbos and other southern Nigerians will be happy to die for Nigeria as it stands today?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Wallie(m): 1:25am On Feb 21, 2009
The army is looking for a lot more people than just those of Igbo decent. Here's a complete list which include Hausas and Yorubas among others:

• Albanian
• Amharic
• Arabic
• Azerbaijani
• Bengali
• Burmese
• Cambodian-Khmer
• Chinese
• Czech
• Hausa
• Hindi
• Hungarian
• Igbo
• Indonesian
• Korean
• Kurdish
• Lao
• Malay
• Malayalam
• Moro
• Nepalese
• Persian [Dari &
Farsi]
• Polish
• Punjabi
• Pushtu (aka Pashto)
• Russian
• Sindhi
• Sinhalese
• Somali
• Swahili
• Tamil
• Turkish
• Turkmen
• Urdu
• Yoruba
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Wallie(m): 1:31am On Feb 21, 2009
Full article from a military website
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/mavni-fact-sheet.pdf

MILITARY ACCESSIONS VITAL TO NATIONAL INTEREST (MAVNI) RECRUITMENT PILOT

The Secretary of Defense authorized the military services to recruit certain legal aliens whose skills are considered to be vital to the national interest. Those holding critical skills – physicians, nurses, and certain experts in language with associated cultural backgrounds – would be eligible. To
determine its value in enhancing military readiness, the limited pilot program will recruit up to 1,000 people, and will continue for a period of up to 12 months.

ELIGIBILITY
1. The applicant must be in one of the following categories at time of enlistment
a. asylee, refugee, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or
b. nonimmigrant categories E, F, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, TC, TD, TN, U, or V
2. The applicant must have been in valid status in one of those categories for at least two years immediately prior to the enlistment date, but it does not have to be the same category as the one held on the date of enlistment; and
3. An applicant who may be eligible on the basis of a nonimmigrant category at time of enlistment (see 1b above) must not have had any single absence from the United States of more than 90 days during the two year period immediately preceding the date of enlistment.

Health Care Professionals
• Applicants must fill medical specialties where the service has a shortfall
• Applicants must meet all qualification criteria required for their medical specialty, and the criteria for foreign-trained DoD medical personnel recruited under other authorities
• Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English
• Applicants must commit to at least 3 years of active duty, or six years in the Selected Reserve Enlisted Individuals with Special Language and Culture Backgrounds
• Applicants must possess specific language and culture capabilities in a language critical to DoD
• Applicants must demonstrate a language proficiency
• Applicants must meet all existing enlistment eligibility criteria
• Applicants must enlist for at least 4 years of active duty
(Services may add additional requirements)

Languages
• Albanian
• Amharic
• Arabic
• Azerbaijani
• Bengali
• Burmese
• Cambodian-Khmer
• Chinese
• Czech
• Hausa
• Hindi
• Hungarian
• Igbo
• Indonesian
• Korean
• Kurdish
• Lao
• Malay
• Malayalam
• Moro
• Nepalese
• Persian [Dari &
Farsi]
• Polish
• Punjabi
• Pushtu (aka Pashto)
• Russian
• Sindhi
• Sinhalese
• Somali
• Swahili
• Tamil
• Turkish
• Turkmen
• Urdu
• Yoruba

BACKGROUND
Non-citizens have served in the military since the Revolutionary War. The Lodge Act of 1950 permitted non-citizen Eastern Europeans to enlist between 1950 and 1959. Additionally, the United States officially began recruiting Filipino nationals into the Navy in the late 1940s, when it signed the Military Bases Agreement of 1947 allowing U.S. military bases in the Philippines. In total, over 35,000 Filipinos enlisted in the Navy through the program between 1952 and 1991.

Today, about 29,000 non-citizens serve in uniform, and about 8,000 legal permanent resident aliens (green card holders) enlist each year. Law ensures that the sacrifice of non-citizens during a time of national need is met with an opportunity for early citizenship, to recognize their contribution and
sacrifice.

In fact, today's service members are eligible for expedited citizenship under a July 2002 Executive Order, and the military services have worked closely with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to streamline citizenship processing for service members. Since Sept. 11, 2001,
nearly 43,000 members of the Armed Forces have attained their citizenship while serving this nation.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Septuagenarian(m): 1:48am On Feb 21, 2009
Beware !! Pls beware !!!!!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Theblessed(f): 4:18am On Feb 21, 2009
Hmmm! Sounds plausible but there's a price.

Please don't be tempted by this offer.  Afghnistan your next port of call and you may not be back alive to enjoy the citizenship,  beware! Many are dying there and their bodies brought back in bags for burial.  Its up to you!

It has always been the tactics with people in power to use and abuse the under dogs. They created the mess, let them sort it out.  I rest my case as seeing is believing.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Theblessed(f): 4:37am On Feb 21, 2009
Hi Wallie

Thanks for your accurate repressentation of the truth.  Its not only the Igbos Obama is trying to recruit here, it everyone - Yoruba, Housa etc. The initial commentators presented a one sided story as if Obama and his people are only interested/recruiting Igbo soldiers.  Also as if there's some thing special about Igbo soldiers when compared to  others.  Whatever, its all good, its all good but who ever took the chance shoud watch their backs.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by alhajiy2k(m): 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2009
naijaking1:

You think many Igbos and other southern Nigerians will be happy to die for Nigeria as it stands today?

No. I wont either. No Nigerian wants to die for anything. Not even for money, though many are killing for it.
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by alhajiy2k(m): 9:02pm On Feb 21, 2009
ikeyman00:

ahajiy2k
well me not too sure if yall are black,nigerian,or arab moslem

desperado could implies wastin away life or laziness in the living

Desperador means willing to do anything to 'arrive'
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by alhajiy2k(m): 9:09pm On Feb 21, 2009
udezue:

They wouldn't want suicide bombers in their military aka Hausa/Fulani ppl.

Suicide bombing is a feat reserved only for the tough and selfless. Your hero fled when the going gets tough!
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by bawomolo(m): 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2009
ha ha this must be bash biafra week
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Sir: 4:27am On Feb 23, 2009
What is the date for this UME exam
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by PurestBoy(m): 11:54am On Feb 23, 2009
Sir:

What is the date for this UME exam

Which UME exam? Are you sure you're OK?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by Kx: 12:12pm On Feb 23, 2009
PurestBoy:

Which UME exam? Are you sure you're OK?

PurestBoy @ Sir means is an ibo man desirous of making the US army list.
By "What is the date for this UME exam" he was refering to
[b]U[/b]nited states [b]M[/b]ilitary entrance [b]E[/b]xamination. grin grin grin
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by banom(m): 12:41pm On Feb 23, 2009
[b]I SENSE SOMETHING HERE, MOST OF YOU SAYING BAD ABOUT THIS GREAT DEVELOPMENT IS ONLY SAYING IT OUT OF JEALOUSY AND INSECURITY, HAUSAS AND YORUBAS WHOM SINCE AFTER THE WAR HAVE TAKEN OVER THE NIGERIAN FORCE( MILLITARY, AIRFORCE, POLICE, NAVY) AND INSIDE YOU DECIDED THAT AN IGBO MAN SHOULD NOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH SO THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE RULLING AND LOOTING NIGERIA, FEELS GREATLY TREATENED WITH AMERICANS COMING TO RECRUIT IGBOS INTO THEIR MILLITARY, YOU KNOW WHAT AN IGBO MAN AND HIS HIGH IQ CAN ACHIEVE WHEN GIVING THE CHANCE, AND SUCH CHANCE WAS ALL YORUBAS AND HAUSAS CONSPIRED TO DENY IGBOS IN NIGERIA,

TALKING ABOUT GOING TO AFGHANISTAN FOR WAR, IF IGBOS ARE IN NIGERIAN MILLITARY WON'T THEY GO TO WAR WHEN THE NEED ARISE ?

IS WAR A NEW THING , HAVEN'T WE FAUGHT WAR BEFORE ?

WON'T IT BE BETTER AND SAFER IF WE FIGHT ON AMERICAN SIDE ?

IS WAR NOT THE ULTIMATE ROAD TO PEACE ?

WHO TOLD YOU WE ARE AFRAID OF WAR ?

WHEN AN IGBO MAN IS PROPERLY TRAINED BY A STRONG MILLITARY LIKE AMERICAN MILLITARY, WHO TOLD YOU AN AFGHANISTAN SOLDIER CAN KILL HIM ?

IF IT WAS HAUSAS AND YORUBAS THAT WERE ENLISTED, WONT THEY GO ?

YOU ARE ONLY SAYING THIS TO DISCOURAGE IGBOS FROM GRABING THIS GREAT GOD GIVING OPPURTUNITY, AND WHO TOLD YOU YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE THAT ?

I URGE IGBOS TO RESPOND GREATLY TO THIS GREAT OPPURTUNITY, IT IS OUR ULTIMATE ROUTE TO OUR FREEDOM, SHUN ANY FORM OF DISCOURAGEMENT FROM ANYBODY OR TRIBE, NIGERIANS HATE US AND OUR PROGRESS ,

FOR US TO SUCCED, WE MUST TAKE OUR DESTINIES IN OUR HANDS,

FINALY, I WILL NOT BE SUPRISE IF HAUSAS AND YORUBAS START ANY SECRETE MOVE TO STOP THIS GOD GIVING OPPURTUNITY. ( BUT IT WON'T WORK)[/b]
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by BigBro(m): 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2009
@ Thetruth90, It is an insult if you don't understand. recruiting them into the US army is only to save Americans from death warrants in the many battles US is fighting abroad. why not offer them something lucrative. That's another way of getting people regarded as nuisance to the society off the streets. That's the logic, even here in Nigeria, drop outs and miscreants are usually sent into army (recruits). I'm very sure that's the only level at which they'll take them.
Man, it's good to use one's number 6 to analyse and reason on issues before you start rejoicing, Abi your no. 6 no dey work?
Re: The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos by jaleelng: 10:24am On Feb 24, 2009
am just trying to figure out if there are very few US citizens willing to join, if that is the case what necessitated that. and why should they extend such recruitment to other nationals, i think this calls for some little intelligence. i know the Americans are around 270million people. sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Israeli Group Launches Anti-Islam Campaign on U.S Public Buses / 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal / South Africa's Eskom Is Now World’s Biggest Sulfur Dioxide Emitter - Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.