Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,500 members, 7,854,128 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:13 AM

Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] - Satellite TV Technology (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (262757 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (175) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by JMS(m): 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2009
Dejsam:

@ all,

ORBIT IN Nilesat 101/102 - Atlantic Bird 4A @ 7° West -

another frequency and more channels: 11411 H 27500

fox sport
ppv1
ppv2
ppv3
mgm
al riyadiah
series chnnel
playhouse
trace
discovery
history
2+ america
cinema city
xtra movies

this makes it a total of twenty eight channels added to nilesat.

guys this is enjoyment galore for all club members

@George_D, Pito, Twins, Are these new chanels added in Nilesat? YOU ARE LUCKY; pay tv must be very jealous of fta there,  enjoy those new stations!!! wink wink wink Please can i pick that famous Nilesat here in Brazzaville
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by emeystan(m): 5:56pm On Aug 06, 2009
I was calculating the price of a basic digibox(without dish) which is 150Ghc ghana new cedi. Please who knows the equivalent in naira
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by toxnaija: 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2009
all,
I think my take on the Strong HD receiver is that we should all forget about it for now.The price will definitely come down soon.Go and ask for the price of Echolink now which we bought at almost 25k when it came.I heard it is about half that price now!
I am beginning to enjoy the Orbit revolution on Nilesat.My question is Can people in the Southern part pick it because of its ab4a location?remember that ab4a has been giving us problems here.
On Multitv,they have stated it clearly that they are free forever.so,why are people still talking about them going the way of etv.All they want to sell is their digibox/spot adverts and not subscription.Can Ghana members help us find out if their box has the same features like the Strong 4900/4910?How much would it cost to order for it into Nigeria?It is the best alternative for now or if someone can get us European models.

I have a very sad news from my end::::armed robbers were in my Abeokuta,Ogun state residence early this morning 2.30am.they fired gunshots towards my dad and elder brother when they tried to chase them away.they couldnt gain entry,and the police has been notified.no one was hurt but they were traumatised with the nasty experience.the hoodlums were attracted by the huge satellite dishes in the house.Do I have to throw away my dishes all because armed robbers would not let my family live in peace!I was called after the incident at 4am.I wish I was there!It would have been fire for fire!I am really tired of Nigeria- 9 weeks without electricity,3 weeks without tap water,bad roads,bad internet service,expensive foodstuff,weak satellite signals,and now,armed robbers every week.I escaped from them last week in the Lagos traffic!WHY WOULD I WANT TO RETURN HOME TO NAIJA WHEN I LEAVE?

Enitan,
my phones are always on 24/7,even when I am on the news or even chopping barbequed fish.I just wan hear your voice and gist boku oooo.

Olason,
I hail ooo.when are we meeting?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by spacevice(m): 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2009
@All

About the Multi TV BOX,with an exchange rate of between N100 - N115 to GHC, it should not cost more than N18,000. I'm yet to find out about the features whether it compares with strong mpeg 4.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 7:59pm On Aug 06, 2009
@spacevice,
If really that is the conversion rate for GHC it then means that daarsat decoder
which is 18k here sells for the same amount as the muti-tv digibox in Ghana.
Just a thought.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 06, 2009
@toxnaija,
Sorry about your ordeal in the hands of men of the underworld. It is no doubt a very
nasty experience. From your recount, I begin to wonder what could be the attraction
of big dishes to these category of people. Do they think it is everyone having such dishes
that are necessarily millionaires?
Question is if they could be attracted thus, then what should we that have more than one
big dish in the compound do now? shocked
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by fadinus(m): 8:42pm On Aug 06, 2009
@george, i guess u guys have to be on guard now. Or u should probably uninstll sum of em lol!.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by skylolo112(m): 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
@all
anyone who wants to sell a 4m or 4.4 m dish can contact me

@toxnaija
does it means big dish big problems , the robbers are not with good orientation if not they will have known you watching it for free ,
one of those Naija probs
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by nolywe(m): 8:51pm On Aug 06, 2009
@George, why dont u uninstall sum of ur big dishes and share 'em with those that dont have any, (e.g, ME), atleast we will share ur risk of being attack by armed robbers lol
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by graciousme(f): 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2009
@tox

sorry about the incidence,thank god for the gift of life.lets just keep praying for the nation and hope that soon and i mean very soon god will make things right.

@all

hi all,its been awhile,good to be back,are the new channels on nilesat available on 1.8m dish?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 10:06pm On Aug 06, 2009
@fadinus, nolywe,
Never mind those bad boys. My compound is covered by the blood of the lamb
so is no go area to those goons. I'm sure rather than launch any attack, they
will rather throw away their weapons, come peacefully and fill up with a dose
of nilesat for free grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by fadinus(m): 10:24pm On Aug 06, 2009
I love ur belief george, dey mite even decide to watch tv instead lol!
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 1:45am On Aug 07, 2009
@tox

heya. sorry hen. things can only get better. those armed robbers no dey fear. abeg tell george make he direct that him thunder to them.

@all

santech LNB is 3k

anyone interested in XCRUISER HD/MP4 LNB with an internal hdd should get in touch with me. only two available.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by spacevice(m): 8:16am On Aug 07, 2009
@George
Is the daarsat mpeg 4? Haven't seen one here yet.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Dejsam(m): 8:17am On Aug 07, 2009
@toxnaija,

sorry about the bad incident that happened at ur parents residence.we will only keep on praying for GOD"S guidiance and protection.i dont really

think it is those massive dishes that attracted them.but we thank GOD that no one was hurt.just stay calm
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Olubachar(m): 9:02am On Aug 07, 2009
@toxnaija,

We thank God almighty for his protection over you & your family. Only God can save,thieves are everywhere.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by microgiant: 9:34am On Aug 07, 2009
@toxnaija,
sorry about the bad experiences take care God is in control.

@All
Some Confused Terms
High-Definition Television (or HDTV) is a digital television broadcasting system with higher resolution than traditional television systems (standard-definition TV, or SDTV). HDTV is digitally broadcast; the earliest implementations used analog broadcasting, but today digital television (DTV) signals are used, requiring less bandwidth due to digital video compression.
High-definition television (HDTV) yields a better-quality image than standard television does, because it has a greater number of lines of resolution. The larger the size of the television the HD picture is viewed on, the greater the improvement in picture quality. On smaller televisions there may be no noticeable improvement in picture quality. Appropriate cabling must be used. Either HDMI, DVI, component video or VGA cables must be used to support a high-definition signal. For instance, if Composite Video or S-Video cables are used for connections from a Set Top Box or Satellite dish then only an SDTV quality picture will be seen. Component video cables with RCA connectors are color coded for reception of the desired signal. They consist of three video cables (green, blue, and red). Additionally for audio, there is a pair of audio cables(red and white), carrying analog audio signals. HDMI cables carry video and audio in a single cable using digital technology.
DVB-S2 is based on the DVB-S standard which is used for satellite broadcasting, and the DVB-DSNG standard, which is used by mobile units for sending external footage back to television stations. Two new key features which were added to DVB-S are:
* VCM (Variable Coding and Modulation) which optimizes the transmission parameters for various users
* Changing encoding parameters in real time (ACM, Adaptive Coding and Modulation)
The authors claim that the DVB-S2 performance gain over DVB-S is around 30%. When the contribution of improvements in video compression is added, an (MPEG-4 AVC) HDTV service can now be delivered in the same capacity that supported an early DVB-S-MPEG-2 SDTV service only a decade before.
Digital Video Broadcasting - Satellite - Second Generation (DVB-S2) is an enhanced specification to replace the DVB-S standard, developed in 2003 and ratified by ETSI (EN 302307) in March 2005. The development of DVB-S2 coincided with the introduction of HDTV and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video codecs.
Bottom line HD mostly associated with DVB-S2, MPEG-4. Meaning almost all HD Decoders are capable of receiving DVB-S2 and vice versa.
On a final note; Daarsat has about two HD Channels, but is broadcasting the rest SD Channels in DVB-S2, MPEG-4.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 10:07am On Aug 07, 2009
@spacevice,
Daarsat decoder is mpeg4. Some good members here are already using it to watch
multi-tv but it hasn't really caught our fancy because of the absence of key features
like blindscan, etc. The general opinion was to try and get something better at a cheaper
rate hence our decision to make inquiries about STRONG and multi-tv digibox,

As it stands now it seems daarsat might carry the day for us if we must watch astra 2B
at least pending the time STRONG will have a re-think and lower their prices.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by nolywe(m): 10:11am On Aug 07, 2009
@Oga George, If they dont want to watch nilesat,,you can give them tutorials on how to dismantle big dish lol tongue
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2009
@nolywe,
I'm sure they won't even come near but however if they mistakenly do, they won't be able
to resist supermovies or america plus on orbit package. We could chat over a bottle of wine
while I think of the best way to hand them over to the police! grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2009
@ Tox sorry for the incident. God is in control. @ All u guys should stop blaming strong or their dealers for the high price tag for strong HD receivers. Those receivers re for europe,middle east,australia and the rest of rich oyibo country. If we can wait 'which i know the waiting will be too long' for strong to produce HD for africa market, that ll be the only way of getting strong HD receiver below 12k. But since Mytv controls importation of strong in this our part of the world, i dont see it coming so soon cos strong still ve 4663x black which is new in market. Moreso, Mytv is not going HD today. But with dstv bringing out a new HD pvr dual view decoder, i believe the race to HD has just started. Someone told us before in this thread that multitv receiver is N14,500 naira equivalant. But according to what Adewest wrote i think Daarsat receiver is better than multitv receiver. But we re safer with multitv receiver in case something happened. Mtn gprs has been off in my area for more than 1 week now. Those in ph should get patient with slow connection via yourfreedom. George D do you think that i would ve rest if my west view is clear? Those orbit channel always get me mad anytime i browse them. Supermovie,america plus and the rest shows that dstv re just stealing money from pple when they ve noting to offer. Have u compared fox movies to all their magic movies? Abeg someone should tell them to take a look at orbit and showtime and see what paytv should look like!
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by eduzo(m): 10:30am On Aug 07, 2009
olofofo
please i am interested in the two santech ku lnbs. Advice accordingly.

toxnaija
i am sorry to here about the armed robbery incident. It is not an experience you  would  want to wish on anybody. A few years ago i got shot in the head because the bastards wanted my car. I escaped with my life and my car only to have the car stolen  at gun point. what do you do? My man, you just get on with life. My sympathy to you and your folk. Please you guys just get on with life.
eduzo.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2009
@Dejsam,
Still no coc updates yet? E be like say we go send this card back to them o!
Their wayo don dey too much! I'm sure they will only release when current
is about to expire! angry
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by sathob(m): 10:40am On Aug 07, 2009
@tox
I thank God for His deliverance for your family. I pray for His healing from any effects of trauma. May , each member be covered by the blood of the Lamb and protected by strong and powerful angels.

About multi-tv, I had the opportunity to work on one, the features are similar to what was written about darsat. one can input frequencies, sr, select satellites of your choice, configure diseqc, parental control etc. but it has no blind scan. I did't see anything like HD incsribed on the box
I had ten channels alright but couldn't get any radio.

The service is for free, and they intend to add more channels to their bouquet in the future I hear up to 200, and that will come with a token from customers. However, that does not mean that one will not have access to the free channels. it's truely free from my findings. if this is a lie then the agent has lied to me and i will hold him for passing wrong info to me. I spoke with one of their "big men" too.

@all
should anyone need multi-tv digi box, the price is GH150 though some are selling it at different prices in ghana. yesterday iwent to one shop it was GH160 another shop was GH180 but I bought one somewhere else at GH150. One means of transporting it to Nigeria is trhough ABC transport. The money can be sent through GT bank to any member of your choice and trust in Ghana. I will verify from ABC transport in Ghana how much will it cost to carry the box to Nigeria. vist this site for currency conversion _http://coinmill.com/GHS_NGN.html#GHS=150

@george_d, fofo, all
Can you find out the cost of transporting daarsat receiver through ABC transport, I don't know why, I will prefer to have a daarsat box too.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 10:53am On Aug 07, 2009
@pitodenz,
I almost forgot about your west side blockade. Sorry about that. Orbit+Showtime truly rocks only that
those new tps just added on AB4a didn't turn green at my end. Probably because they're on H polarity.
I will try and tweak my lnb and see what pops.
Yes I quite agree with you DSTV has a ways to go as far as paytv is concerned. But we shouldn't expect
anything different from what is happening now. When there is only one major player in the market as it is
this side of the continent such laxity is bound to set in.

@sathob,
I'm sure it will cost same, same to send any package to and fro the same destination with ABC transport.
What is it with daarsat you seem to admire or are you getting caught in the 'greener grass' syndrome? grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by microgiant: 10:56am On Aug 07, 2009
@tox

Sorry for the ugly experiences. God is in control, take care.

@All
Some Terms
High-Definition Television (or HDTV) is a digital television broadcasting system with higher resolution than traditional television systems (standard-definition TV, or SDTV). HDTV is digitally broadcast; the earliest implementations used analog broadcasting, but today digital television (DTV) signals are used, requiring less bandwidth due to digital video compression.
High-definition television (HDTV) yields a better-quality image than standard television does, because it has a greater number of lines of resolution. The larger the size of the television the HD picture is viewed on, the greater the improvement in picture quality. On smaller televisions there may be no noticeable improvement in picture quality. Appropriate cabling must be used. Either HDMI, DVI, component video or VGA cables must be used to support a high-definition signal. For instance, if Composite Video or S-Video cables are used for connections from a Set Top Box or Satellite dish then only an SDTV quality picture will be seen. Component video cables with RCA connectors are color coded for reception of the desired signal. They consist of three video cables (green, blue, and red). Additionally for audio, there is a pair of audio cables(red and white), carrying analog audio signals. HDMI cables carry video and audio in a single cable using digital technology.
DVB-S2 is based on the DVB-S standard which is used for satellite broadcasting, and the DVB-DSNG standard, which is used by mobile units for sending external footage back to television stations. Two new key features which were added to DVB-S are:
* VCM (Variable Coding and Modulation) which optimizes the transmission parameters for various users
* Changing encoding parameters in real time (ACM, Adaptive Coding and Modulation)
The authors claim that the DVB-S2 performance gain over DVB-S is around 30%. When the contribution of improvements in video compression is added, an (MPEG-4 AVC) HDTV service can now be delivered in the same capacity that supported an early DVB-S-MPEG-2 SDTV service only a decade before.
Digital Video Broadcasting - Satellite - Second Generation (DVB-S2) is an enhanced specification to replace the DVB-S standard, developed in 2003 and ratified by ETSI (EN 302307) in March 2005. The development of DVB-S2 coincided with the introduction of HDTV and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video codecs.
Bottom line HD mostly associated with DVB-S2, MPEG-4. meaning almost all HD Decoders are capable of receiving DVB-S2 and vice versa.
On a final note. Daarsat has about two HD Channels, but is broadcasting all other channels in DVB-S2, MPEG-4
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by rawunkat1: 11:00am On Aug 07, 2009
fellow fta brothers, pls beside the 3-4m dish that i need for nilesat, what else will one need to enjoy the full potential of nilesat.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by twinstaiye(m): 11:04am On Aug 07, 2009
@ tox
My sympathy, who says every hobby doesnt have hazards.

@all
Some Starsat receivers had a peculiar problem in upgrading patches last week. I was tempted to ask George_D whether his own is working, but reading it through the forum that he is still battling with the post-thunder wahala, I decided to go it alone when I know my partner in owning one here in Abuja is not around. I read through the Sat Universe websites, and I got it to work yesterday night. Let me know if you have such a problem viz if your starsat receiver is not opening channels after upgrade.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by microgiant: 11:11am On Aug 07, 2009
@tox

Sorry for the ugly experiences. God is in control, take care.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by ohikhena(m): 11:20am On Aug 07, 2009
@ toxnaija,

Thank God that all ur folks are ok following there ordeal at the hands of some group of lazy men who want to reap where they never sowed.Get over it bro these things happen.

@all

wat a way to end the week these orbit stuff is going to be da bomb cos all these pay tv channels would surely realise that the best things of life are freeeeeeeee.Do have a great weekend ahead., wink smiley grin grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 07, 2009
sathob:

@tox
I thank God for His deliverance for your family. I pray for His healing from any effects of trauma. May , each member be covered by the blood of the Lamb and protected by strong and powerful angels.

I'm counting myself out oooooo,

@ tox,
all is well, there's a reason for every happening around us.

getting the digibox from ghana is equivalent to getting a daarsat receiver here, am dead lost?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by blexxonmak(m): 12:15pm On Aug 07, 2009
@toxnaija .We thank God that nobody was injured shocked.I had a similar experience some years back ,just after my wedding.It was quite traumatic.I think they were attracted by my 2.6m Orbitron dish .That never deterred me from adding another 3.6m Orbitron dish to my collection.No "amu robber" can stop us from reaching our potentials as far as FTA is concerned.All we have is but one life to live in Christ Jesus.Fear not.You are under His eyes.

@all.It seems to me that Daarsat may be a better option for now.DSTV MPEG4 decoder may be another angle to explore.Just thinking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (175)

Strong Receivers Thread / Newbie In Satellite Installation: Introduce Yourself Here With Your Problems / Free to Air codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.