Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,693 members, 7,823,948 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to (37433 Views)

4-Year-Old Girl Suffers Nephrotic Syndrome In Kaduna. Photo / Four Children From The Same Parents Are Born Blind In Edo (Photos) / Crippled And Partly Blind Man In Osun (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2015
I visited the boy today.

The parents are quite young. The father should be in late 30s and the mother in early 30s or mid. Mother of the boy is pregnant and expecting another child in few months (maybe twins, maybe not). They (father, mother, the boy, two daughters) all live in a one-room apartment. The only furniture seems to be the bed, benches and the stool i sat on. Sisters of the boy are 6 and 5 years old. The boy himself is 4. Father is into laundry and house-keeping, mother is a tailor in the same apartment. Her machine stood lonely at a corner.

Now to the boy.

The story began when she the boy was about 2-months old and the mother noticed somthing like rashes around one of the eye. At 6 months, he was taken to the maternity clinic for checkup. At 9 months, he was taken to a hospital & was referred to somwhere else. According to them, the doctor said it was caused by water. Both eyes were swollen then and the boy could not see a thing. Surgery was recommended. A good samaritan they do not know up till now, paid for the surgery. After the operation, the swelling stopped but the boy couldn't see. That was September 2012 till January 2013. Till then, no visit to the hospital because of financial constraints.

I did not see the test results as they said they were not given at the hospital because it was presented to the good samaritan, or something along that line.

I noticed the boy got along well with his parents and siblings. He was active. He could recite the alphabets and numbers. I was made to understand that his sisters teach him at home. He is very sharp and sings many of the songs heard on Radio. I took a closer look at his eyes. Both eyes have different colours. One was brownish, the other was bluish. I was told the eyes get itchy sometimes.

The most disturbing part is that, this boy shakes his head all the time, almost non-stop. I asked his parents and they said he has always been that way. That the doctor said it's because he wants to get rid of whatever is blocking his eyes. Please imagine a 4-year-old blind boy shaking his head almost non-stop.

I have pictures taken at the scene but i will post them at the permission of tearoses.

If you have questions, please ask. This is just the summary of my visit.

5 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by jaybee3(m): 5:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
We definitely have to recommend family planning to them as the bare minimum. They already have 3 kids and now expecting additional 2 shocked shocked

Maybe we should just focus on the boy if there is anything that can be done to remedy the situation

#Just thinking out aloud

Thanks caracta... Much appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by taryour(f): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2015
Caracta:
I visited the boy today.

The parents are quite young. The father should be in late 30s and the mother in early 30s or mid. Mother of the boy is pregnant and expecting another child in few months (maybe twins, maybe not). They (father, mother, the boy, two daughters) all live in a one-room apartment. The only furniture seems to be the bed, benches and the stool i sat on. Sisters of the boy are 6 and 5 years old. The boy himself is 4. Father is into laundry and house-keeping, mother is a tailor in the same apartment. Her machine stood lonely at a corner.

Now to the boy.

The story began when she the boy was about 2-months old and the mother noticed somthing like rashes around one of the eye. At 6 months, he was taken to the maternity clinic for checkup. At 9 months, he was taken to a hospital & was referred to somwhere else. According to them, the doctor said it was caused by water. Both eyes were swollen then and the boy could not see a thing. Surgery was recommended. A good samaritan they do not know up till now, paid for the surgery. After the operation, the swelling stopped but the boy couldn't see. That was September 2012 till January 2013. Till then, no visit to the hospital because of financial constraints.

I did not see the test results as they said they were not given at the hospital because it was presented to the good samaritan, or something along that line.

I noticed the boy got along well with his parents and siblings. He was active. He could recite the alphabets and numbers. I was made to understand that his sisters teach him at home. He is very sharp and sings many of the songs heard on Radio. I took a closer look at his eyes. Both eyes have different colours. One was brownish, the other was bluish. I was told the eyes get itchy sometimes.

The most disturbing part is that, this boy shakes his head all the time, almost non-stop. I asked his parents and they said he has always been that way. That the doctor said it's because he wants to get rid of whatever is blocking his eyes. Please imagine a 4-year-old blind boy shaking his head almost non-stop.

I have pictures taken at the scene but i will post them at the permission of tearoses.

Great step you took dearie. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by taryour(f): 8:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:
We definitely have to recommend family planning to them as the bare minimum. They already have 3 kids and now expecting additional 2 shocked shocked

Maybe we should just focus on the boy if there is anything that can be done to remedy the situation

#Just thinking out aloud

Thanks caracta... Much appreciated

Serious family planning. am already imagining if she now has a set of twin with the 5 of them that makes 7 of them in one room. Eleyi gidi gan oo.

Yes focusing on the boy is a good idea, the parents also need to be empowered as well. They the parents have only complicated there situation by having more kids with the situation on ground.

I really don't get, yes some pple aint educated enough but matrons keep preaching on family planning on antenatal visits, and the same news spread wide across like bush fire. They really don't need to go to school to learn all this, and to think family planning ( implanon )is free or at least the nurses could ask for 300 naira for spirit or cotton wool which I think is very reasonable to keep safe for 3 solid years. There was no spacing at all. Ages 6,5, and 4. It is well God help them.

1 Like

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 17, 2015
Madam Caraca God bless you
You are indeed a woman who loves her neighbour
You dont know me or this boy from adam, but you dropped everything and went looking for him.

This lady was soaked with rain today and she took a cab from one end of Lagos to the other and back just to see this boy and verify my story. She didnt even know the area. All new territory for her, but she still went.

I cannot thank her enough. I can only pray for her.

Please feel free to post pictures. I only ask that you watermark them with something if you can, so that some bad people dont steal the pictures and use for their own scams.

Please Nairalanders I am begging you to pleaase come to the aid of this boy. He needs us. His parents have made the mistake, please dont let him suffer for that mistake. He is innocent.
He has his whole life ahead of him. Please dont let him end up begging on the streets. I am appealing to you all. Please.

Sincerely I dont know the next step here and this is why I am appealing to everyone to come up with ideas on best to go about this to help him. Please dont leave me alone in this case. I am begging on behalf of this innocent boy. Please this may be his only hope of becoming someone in this life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by taryour(f): 8:44pm On Jul 17, 2015
tearoses:
Madam Caraca God bless you
You are indeed a woman who loves her neighbour
You dont know me or this boy from adam, but you dropped everything and went looking for him.

This lady was soaked with rain today and she took a cab from one end of Lagos to the other and back just to see this boy and verify my story. She didnt even know the area. All new territory for her, but she still went.

I cannot thank her enough. I can only pray for her.

Please feel free to post pictures. I only ask that you watermark them with something if you can, so that some bad people dont steal the pictures and use for their own scams.

Please Nairalanders I am begging you to pleaase come to the aid of this boy. He needs us. His parents have made the mistake, please dont let him suffer for that mistake. He is innocent.
He has his whole life ahead of him. Please dont let him end up begging on the streets. I am appealing to you all. Please.

Sincerely I dont know the next step here and this is why I am appealing to everyone to come up with ideas on best to go about this to help him. Please dont leave me alone in this case. I am begging on behalf of this innocent boy. Please this may be his only hope of becoming someone in this life.

Strongly wish the Tehn crew will handle the case as they know the wright way to coordinate things and make it a success. The story has already been verified so a way forward is what's needed.

1 Like

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Funjosh(m): 8:47pm On Jul 17, 2015
Caracta:
I visited the boy today.

Now to the boy.

The boy shakes his head all the time, hmmm that must have been sumthing serious going on in his head. I still believe with his age, he can still recover his sight back. With God on our side he will TeHN over to you please

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Gboliwe: 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
I will suggest that a doctor or two from nairaland offers to look into this boy's case. Most of the active doctors are permanently resident in the health section, so we might take this thread there. When they have looked at this boy's predicament, it's very possible there are other hidden health issues reason why he has the involuntary head shaking. We can start from there and see how things progress.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
The boy

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:42pm On Jul 17, 2015
Parents (the father had to support the boy's head with his hand to keep him steady)

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:43pm On Jul 17, 2015
Sisters

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
The house

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
I appeal to you all to please help this boy. He is too young to suffer like this.

TEHN, what do you say? angry sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by jaybee3(m): 10:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
We will look into the case to see how we can be of help

As always, no guarantees as we will have to consider the merit, complexity and extent of involvement before arriving at a decision
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 10:08pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:
We will look into the case to see how we can be of help

As always, no guarantees as we will have to consider the merit, complexity and extent of involvement before arriving at a decision

Thank you.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Akdams(m): 10:35pm On Jul 17, 2015
Caracta:

Thank you.

@,caracta Welldone.

We need to know the extent of the eyes problem.

Still believe the boy will still use that eyes to see.

Where are the doctors on this forum.
Let use all the available experts we have on this forum first.

For me the boy issue should comes first.

To empower the parents is no big deal to some of us.

But the area of health is not my common ground reason for my concern..

The earlier the better than all this this grammer.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Idowuogbo(f): 11:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
Omg he looks adorable. sad sad

Well done Caracta! Kisses all over dearie.... kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 18, 2015
Madam Caracta o! you are just too much
The little boys mother just called me now and said you brought lots of provisions for the little boy when you were coming yesterday & you also gave him money too.

Thank you ma'am . . . . . Only God can repay you. Only God!

6 Likes

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2015
Good Morning Nairalanders. Thank you for alll you concern. God bless you all.

Please how can we help this little boy?
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 18, 2015
Doctors please can you advise regarding this little boy.
Thank you so much

drsteroid
Jauntty
GogetterMD
Xiadnat
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by GogetterMD(m): 9:30am On Jul 18, 2015
tearoses:
Doctors please can you advise regarding this little boy.
Thank you so much

drsteroid
Jauntty
GogetterMD
Xiadnat
The history you gave is a lil inadequate, but from the pictures you put up, congenital cataract can't be ruled out.
The head shaking, is it voluntary or involuntary? Is it a horizontal jerky movement or a vertical one?
Then information on the previous surgery done is highly needed. Hospital it was held in, the initial diagnosis etc.
We can start from there
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 9:39am On Jul 18, 2015
GogetterMD:

The history you gave is a lil inadequate, but from the pictures you put up, congenital cataract can't be ruled out.
The head shaking, is it voluntary or involuntary? Is it a horizontal jerky movement or a vertical one?
Then information on the previous surgery done is highly needed. Hospital it was held in, the initial diagnosis etc.
We can start from there

The head shaking/movement is horizontal. The previous surgery was held at LUTH. The father could not remember the initial diagnosis. He only mentioned water and something that sounded like glaucoma or something coccus but he wasn't sure. He is not too literate and he said he wasn't bothered about the diagnosis then, he only wanted his son to see again.

No document from LUTH except the prescriptions and patient's card.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by GogetterMD(m): 9:56am On Jul 18, 2015
Caracta:

The head shaking/movement is horizontal. The previous surgery was held at LUTH. The father could not remember the initial diagnosis. He only mentioned water and something that sounded like glaucoma or something coccus but he wasn't sure. He is not too literate and he said he wasn't bothered about the diagnosis then, he only wanted his son to see again.

No document from LUTH except the prescriptions and patient's card.
They might need to return to LUTH, or another tertiary centres. GH Marina Lagos, LASUTH Ikeja or UCH.
Might be that the mum had an infection, more likely to be rubella than not during pregnancy that affected the boy's eyes.
Surgery usually can be performed from the age of 6 months and above (if required ) in a health facility that has the capacity to handle such. However, surgery can be complicated, and postsurgical complications aren't uncommon which includes raised intraocular pressure and glaucoma that can go along to worsen the vision the more.
Where do they stay?
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by GogetterMD(m): 10:06am On Jul 18, 2015
The surgery had, was it in just one eye or it was bilateral? (how to know? Ask if they operated more than once on him cause more often than not, both eyes are never operated at the same time )
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 10:10am On Jul 18, 2015
GogetterMD:

They might need to return to LUTH, or another tertiary centres. GH Marina Lagos, LASUTH Ikeja or UCH.
Might be that the mum had an infection, more likely to be rubella than not during pregnancy that affected the boy's eyes.
Surgery usually can be performed from the age of 6 months and above (if required ) in a health facility that has the capacity to handle such. However, surgery can be complicated, and postsurgical complications aren't uncommon which includes raised intraocular pressure and glaucoma that can go along to worsen the vision the more.
Where do they stay?

They stay around LASU in Lagos. They returned to LUTH after the surgery to complain but according to the mum, the nurses scared them away with the bills. And since they didn't even pay for the surgery in the first place, they couldn't question the hospital.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 10:11am On Jul 18, 2015
GogetterMD:
The surgery had, was it in just one eye or it was bilateral? (how to know? Ask if they operated more than once on him cause more often than not, both eyes are never operated at the same time )

Yes. Bilateral. Different times.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by 1miccza: 10:15am On Jul 18, 2015
Caracta:
I visited the boy today.

Now to the boy.

Words cannot explain the magnitude of appreciation ,what height of benevolence!! May such spirit continue to rise from height to height in your life in Jesus name. And may the blessings of God continue to grow in your life. I am actually praying for such a spirit too in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by 1miccza: 10:19am On Jul 18, 2015
Caracta:
I visited the boy today.

Now to the boy.

Words cannot explain the magnitude of appreciation ,what height of benevolence!! May such spirit continue to rise from height to height in your life in Jesus name. And may the blessings of God continue to grow in your life. I am actually praying for such a spirit too in Jesus name..

3 Likes

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by GogetterMD(m): 10:22am On Jul 18, 2015
Caracta:

Yes. Bilateral. Different times.
OK then. That gives credence to the likelihood of a diagnosis of cataract than not.
Let them visit any of the tertiary centres I earlier stated. GH Marina Lagos has the least workload sha, if you value your time
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Funjosh(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2015
CARACTA you will never miss it in life.

6 Likes

Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 10:28am On Jul 18, 2015
GogetterMD:

OK then. That gives credence to the likelihood of a diagnosis of cataract than not.
Let them visit any of the tertiary centres I earlier stated. GH Marina Lagos has the least workload sha, if you value your time

Thank you. I appreciate.

Over to you tearoses.

@1miccza, amen. Thank you.
Re: Please help this 4 Year old little blind boy - He has no one else to turn to by Caracta(f): 10:31am On Jul 18, 2015
Funjosh:
CARACTA you will never miss it in life.

Amen. And you too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

10 Common Habits That Damage The Kidneys / Funke Olakunrin's Killer Tests Positive For COVID-19 / Boy Runs Mad At Tejuosho Market Lagos , Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.