Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8845 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 6:55am On Mar 28, 2009
What aspect of your own culture do you HATE/ABHOR so much and should be abolished in your own opinion?. Do you think there should be a forum where young people advise their elders on cultures that should be abolished because they are of no use in this modern world?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sissy3(f): 7:06am On Mar 28, 2009
i HATE the fact that when your husband dies, his brother have to marry you and possibly have additional kids with you angry angry angry

what if you freakishly dont like him? but you have to oblige all in the name of culture

1 Like

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 10:32am On Mar 28, 2009
Me too. I also hate polygamy in yoruba culture like hell coupled with some festivals like oro.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 28, 2009
~Sissy~:

i HATE the fact that when your husband dies, his brother have to marry you and possibly have additional kids with you angry angry angry

what if you freakishly dont like him? but you have to oblige all in the name of culture

What the f. . .? What culture is this?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by comfort3: 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2009
ibkaye:

igbo culture. wink
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ijawgirl: 5:49pm On Mar 28, 2009
uhm cant think of one undecided I guess I love everything abt my culture smiley
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2009
You mean that every aspect of ijaw culture is superb?. The food, the attire, the festivals, the religion, the marriage, the fetish practices and all that?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sammy107d(m): 8:39pm On Mar 28, 2009
iReport:

Me too. I also hate polygamy in yoruba culture like hell coupled with some festivals like oro.

I don't believe you are Yoruba undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 9:00pm On Mar 28, 2009
I don't believe you are Yoruba
You are right. I am from southern california.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 9:10pm On Mar 28, 2009
*comfort:

igbo culture. wink

In March 1999, the chairman of the Bayelsa State Family Support Programme (FSP) stated that the FSP "in conjunction with some Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), had embarked on a series of campaigns to stem some obnoxious practices against womanhood, such as genital mutilation, widowhood practices and early marriage. … She advised widows in the state, whose relatives were being forced to marry relations of their dead husbands, to use the services of the legal aid council" (Post Express 24 Mar. 1999

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/topic,463af2212,469f2ea82,3ae6ad6e64,0.html

wink
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 9:19pm On Mar 28, 2009
ibkaye:

Sadly,some women especially in some rural areas in Igboland,Yorubaland.Ijawland,northern Nigeria and other areas are either coerced,"encouraged" and in some cases forced to marry their dead husband's relative.
I think it's a dying culture and that makes it rare.
Most people have only heard of it and never seen it happen.
see my earlier link
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by lucabrasi(m): 9:20pm On Mar 28, 2009
@post
gerontocracy that has pervaded our culture allowing some elders to get away with everything while keeping the younger generations under their feet.

prostrating or kneeling down,as if that is an indication of true respect

occultic practises,rituals
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 28, 2009
**osisi:

Sadly,some women especially in some rural areas in Igboland,Yorubaland.Ijawland,northern Nigeria and other areas are either coerced,"encouraged" and in some cases forced to marry their dead husband's relative.
I think it's a dying culture and that makes it rare.
Most people have only heard of it and never seen it happen.
see my earlier link

Wow sad
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 9:30pm On Mar 28, 2009
The culture of greed, bribery and corruption is what I hate the most in Nigeria
Evil has permeated the fabrics of the nation that the line between good and bad is blurred.
Criminals and looting politicians are celebrated  and highly esteemed even though everyone knows they got their wealth by illegal means.

I hate the culture of rudeness and lack of customer service
Everone seems angry and frustrated and ready to vent their spleen on innocent people

I hate the culture of using the Lords name in vain
Evil men pretending to be men of God while fleecing people of their meagre resources

I hate the culture of low expectation
The average Nigerian thinks he deoesn't deserve much from the elected officials and so we don't hold them accountable

I hate the culture of lawlessness and selfishness.
where individuals are constantly thinking of how to swindle the next man for quick bucks

I hate the culture of asheworism that has turned our young girls into pop corn begging whores
some with the parent's  passive consent
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 9:32pm On Mar 28, 2009
where in the world did the modify button go?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by spikedcylinder: 10:08pm On Mar 28, 2009
^^^^
The modify button has been damned in hell. embarassed

@ topic
Tribal marks on faces, thats just all kinds of wrong. undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 28, 2009
spikedcylinder:

^^^^
The modify button has been damned in hell. embarassed

@ topic
Tribal marks on faces, thats just all kinds of wrong. undecided

Some of them are actually emotional sad
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 28, 2009
the culture where children are raised to be afraid of adults, have no minds of their own and lack any confidence whatsoever.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Moyola(f): 11:08pm On Mar 28, 2009
Uhmn!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:22pm On Mar 28, 2009
davidylan:

the culture where children are raised to be afraid of adults, have no minds of their own and lack any confidence whatsoever.
I think this would be more of a family by family affair, and not necessarily cultural. . . well, at least, as far as I've seen. Maybe there is a culture that does that. I wouldn't know though.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by KB1(m): 2:28am On Mar 29, 2009
What hate about the AA culture is that it's waaaay too inclusive. Every and anybody is allowed to interact and indulge in it's creative attributes. From the music, lingo, swag, style of dress, dance and more. Nothing is sacred in our culture; the whole world indulges in nearly everything it's created.

Some say this is a good attribute to be honored, though I say it's not so great of a thing, in that it kind of dims our presence of individuality as a divisible ethnic group.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 7:02am On Mar 29, 2009
Gbam!. Nnam, i bu onochie.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 7:05am On Mar 29, 2009
@post
gerontocracy that has pervaded our culture allowing some elders to get away with everything while keeping the younger generations under their feet.

prostrating or kneeling down,as if that is an indication of true respect

occultic practises,rituals

That is one thing I'm yet to understand about Yoruba culture. I've been bullied many times by Yoruba elders to prostrate but i always stand my ground and quietly tell them NO. The youngies are doing it ajibo style now anyway. It'll soon fade away, hopefully.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by spikedcylinder: 8:14am On Mar 29, 2009
Lol. Don't mind those Yoruba people jare. cheesy
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 8:16pm On Mar 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That is one thing I'm yet to understand about Yoruba culture. I've been bullied many times by Yoruba elders to prostrate but i always stand my ground and quietly tell them NO. The youngies are doing it ajibo style now anyway. It'll soon fade away, hopefully.

I actually love that culture of prostrating and courtesying before your elders.
In Igboland, one small boy will just stand at attention and be talking to a 70 year old man sometimes calling him by his first name sef.
The culture shouldn't die amongst Yorubas.It's very respectful.
People like Sauron that run around abusing their elders ,if this was in olden days,I would have ordered him sold into slavery. grin
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 9:32pm On Mar 29, 2009
I actually love that culture of prostrating and courtesying before your elders.
In Igboland, one small boy will just stand at attention and be talking to a 70 year old man sometimes calling him by his first name sef.
The culture shouldn't die amongst Yorubas.It's very respectful.
People like Sauron that run around abusing their elders ,if this was in olden days,I would have ordered him sold into slavery.
Don't we shake our elders with both hands? Isn't that good enough for you?. Salutation is not love biko and Sauron na correct guy, only if he will agree to take Tpia in as a temporary wife.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Ibime(m): 10:16pm On Mar 29, 2009
@ Ijawgirl, I couldn't have put it better myself.

What is there to hate about Ijaw culture?

Is it the fishing, the swimming, the piriangala, the pioru or the liberal culture?

It is well known that Ijaw women are the most liberal in Nigeria. Nobody send sef. If your husband dey ph@ck up, you go just replace am sharp sharp.

Ijaw culture is spotless mehn. cool

The only thing I don't like is the warrior culture which was passed down from war canoe-house times.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 11:41pm On Mar 29, 2009
Ibime:

@ Ijawgirl, I couldn't have put it better myself.

What is there to hate about Ijaw culture?

Is it the fishing, the swimming, the piriangala, the pioru or the liberal culture?

It is well known that Ijaw women are the most liberal in Nigeria. Nobody send sef. If your husband dey ph@ck up, you go just replace am sharp sharp.

Ijaw culture is spotless mehn. cool

The only thing I don't like is the warrior culture which was passed down from war canoe-house times.

My brother that is not always a good thing.
It's not uncommon to see a married woman in Ijawland who leaves her matrimonial home to conceive and bear for another man then return to continue the family where she stopped.
You shouldn't even say these things loudly to the hearing of others.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ijawgirl: 2:03am On Mar 30, 2009
The only thing I don't like is the warrior culture which was passed down from war canoe-house times
hmm I have to read abt the history of the war canoe houses. Anytime I see articles on it online I kinda ignore it. Theres actually a canon @ the front of my house in bonny but I never cared to ask lol

every free born of Ijaw must be able to swim irrespective of the size, the wave, or current of the river or sea. To this end an Ijaw family starts to train its child only some days after birth. The first step is to throw the baby into the river, if it floats in the water it is interpreted to be an Ijaw

This is the part of Ijaw culture I really love. . I dont know abt throwing your baby into the river undecided , mehhhnn thats risky. My parents did that when they were 3/4 yrs old and they did it to me when I was 6yrs old. Its advisable to do this when your child is btw 2-7 yrs old, because its easier to float when you’re very young. Your parents are only allowed to take out of the river if you’re drowning. __ It took me only five minutes to float wink cheesy

Arghh ishhhh pisses me off when I see Ijaw people that can’t swim. If some parents are forming ajebutters at least take them to some private swimming pool, ah!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 6:47am On Mar 30, 2009
why not lend him your tribally marked fiance.
Omo alata like you.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 8:57am On Mar 30, 2009

And you call that a good attribute?. That means your women are whorish imho. undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / American Woman Married To Nigerian Man: Help! / How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.