Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8862 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2009
tpia:

wow, this is a memorable day.

I have never, and I repeat never, heard these words from an African. smiley smiley

Really this is a step in the right direction of de-tribalism, Just like Europe did 100's of years ago smiley
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by asha80(m): 4:14pm On Apr 02, 2009
Really this is a step in the right direction of de-tribalism, Just like Europe did 100's of years ago

Explain the bolded.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Robert2(m): 4:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
Nobody has mentioned "OSU" here.

Does it mean that the Ibos in Nairaland like this Osu thing.

It's still practiced in my area and I hate it

All human beings are equal
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AfroCynic: 4:50pm On Apr 02, 2009
Robert 2:

Nobody has mentioned "OSU" here.

Does it mean that the Ibos in Nairaland like this Osu thing.

It's still practiced in my area and I hate it

All human beings are equal

Because a lot of people are busy pretending it no longer exists!

I just really hate how boys are preferred by some ethnicities. I also hate the 'manage it like that' thing. I detest that, if I pay my money for something, I expect to receive my money's worth but in Nigeria that seems to be too much to expect.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Redman44(m): 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2009
I hate the Nigerian culture that most time believes that elder brothers must always do well than their younger ones, even when the younger sibling is talented and able to do well on his own. I also don't like the issue where it is believed that the elder sister must marry first before the younger sister. We need to change our mentality in Nigeria. Cheers.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by otele(m): 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2009
what i hate most in nigeria culture is a situation where poor people ''worship'' the rich. sycophancy. this is brought into politics and terribly weakens our so called democracy. hence, anybody who looses election tries to enter the good books of the winner instead of forming a credible opposition
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 6:44pm On Apr 02, 2009

wow, this is a memorable day.

I have never, and I repeat never, heard these words from an African.
Oh yes it is. It's appalling to you that an African can be blind to tribalism. Afani arugbo.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sauron1: 6:48pm On Apr 02, 2009
chi-jewel:

I hate that one has to buy a long 'List' of irrelevant things before you can marry

Cheapskates!!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 7:01pm On Apr 02, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 7:03pm On Apr 02, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by kweenchi(f): 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
emotional child neglect, child abuse, lack of communication skills
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by kweenchi(f): 8:44pm On Apr 02, 2009
OO forgot , shocked SHAKARAAAAA, ppl that love to show offf, nigerians are good at that now.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by sweeriie(f): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2009
hehe. . . i've learnt quite a bit from this thread.
all this talk about male superiority; i thot ibo men loved having daughters cuz its automatic wealth for them- bride price!  wink
n all those things widows go thru- drinkin the corpse' bath water, being passed on and bullied by relatives, getting no share of the inheritance- are they really practiced? cuz i've only seen it in nollywood movies/read about it in jr.sec.skool literature- n those r not exactly accurate sources.

i cant say i hate anythin about my culture cuz i have not experienced anythin negative: not the tribal marks (my father spent his childhood in the village n doesnt have either), not the polygamy (my grandfather was a polygamist, but only cuz he was muslim. my dad definitely isnt.), definitely not the kneeling down or prostrating- there's no surer sign of respect. i overheard one man sayin he wouldnt teach his son to prostrate to him or evn call him sir; he'd rather hear "hi, dad" as the first thing from his son's mouth early in the morning. . . u might as well permit him to shut you up or call you stupid- afterall, we're aping the white ones now, arent we?

from wat i saw around me while growin up, yoruba women are not considered inferior or looked down upon- they work hand in hand with the males, and are schooled- at least my grandmother was, and we're talkin early 1900s. their husbands respect and sometimes ask for their opinions, and they are generally valued.

like i said, it's what i saw around me. . . may not necessarily be true for all yoruba tribes.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
sweerie, you are indeed a sweerie.

sweeriie:

hehe. . . i've learnt quite a bit from this thread.
all this talk about male superiority; i thot ibo men loved having daughters cuz its automatic wealth for them- bride price! wink
n all those things widows go thru- drinkin the corpse' bath water, being passed on and bullied by relatives, getting no share of the inheritance- are they really practiced? cuz i've only seen it in nollywood movies/read about it in jr.sec.skool literature- n those r not exactly accurate sources.

i cant say i hate anythin about my culture cuz i have not experienced anythin negative: not the tribal marks (my father spent his childhood in the village n doesnt have either), not the polygamy (my grandfather was a polygamist, but only cuz he was muslim. my dad definitely isnt.), definitely not the kneeling down or prostrating- there's no surer sign of respect. i overheard one man sayin he wouldnt teach his son to prostrate to him or evn call him sir; he'd rather hear "hi, dad" as the first thing from his son's mouth early in the morning. . . u might as well permit him to shut you up or call you stupid- afterall, we're aping the white ones now, arent we?

from wat i saw around me while growin up, yoruba women are not considered inferior or looked down upon- they work hand in hand with the males, and are schooled- at least my grandmother was, and we're talkin early 1900s. their husbands respect and sometimes ask for their opinions, and they are generally valued.

like i said, it's what i saw around me. . . may not necessarily be true for all yoruba tribes.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 12:11am On Apr 03, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 12:51am On Apr 03, 2009
OO forgot , SHAKARAAAAA, ppl that love to show offf, nigerians are good at that now.
They squeeze themselves to buy expensive cell phones, ipods, laptops, buy $1000 Beyonce tickets etc when they hardly earn enough to put body and soul together. this is the major reason why crime is highest among Nigerians.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Gabry(f): 1:13am On Apr 03, 2009
SeanT, whats wrong?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by emiemi(f): 11:50am On Apr 03, 2009
I hate the HYPOCRISY in Nigerian culture. We pretend to be what we aren't all in the name of culture.

I hate the calling of a senior one broda and aunty. Respect is mostly in action not in words. Most of our so-called culture has

kept us in the dark age when other nations of the world are moving on to heights unimaginable.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by emiemi(f): 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2009
otele:

what i hate most in nigeria culture is a situation where poor people ''worship'' the rich. sycophancy. this is brought into politics and terribly weakens our so called democracy. hence, anybody who looses election tries to enter the good books of the winner instead of forming a credible opposition

My sentiments exactly too. There is this woman that is like 15years older than me around my area (we actually go to the same church).
Her first child has finished secondary school and is hoping to gain admission into the university. She respescts me so much she tells me
enle ma, epele ma, ese ma, odabo ma, anything ma. It gives me the creeps cos I know it's all sycophancy. I pointed this out to a friend
and the person said I shouldn't try to mention it to her that she is just respecting me (for what?) I should show her respect (which I do)
because she is older but not even with the ma, ma every darn statement I make. I hope to tell her to address me just like her junior one.
Honestly, I don't dig this yeye patronising at all. And like otele has mentioned, it goes beyond the neighbourhood greetings into politics,
church and it's just not positive.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2009
what i hate most in nigeria culture is a situation where poor people ''worship'' the rich
This one is nobody's fault. The ignorant poor do so because they don't have any alternative source of good living. Nigerians are one of the few nations in this world filled with arrogant people and trust me, if they have their way, they won't worship anybody for all the money in this world.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 9:19pm On Apr 03, 2009

exactly why other tribes have a problem with Yoruba women. we werent raised to be shackled cheesy
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by MrGlen: 11:59pm On Apr 04, 2009
Im 18, Nigerian but ive lived in America all my life
I hate that using my left hand for some things is forbidden
i dont know if its a family thing, Igbo thing, Nigerian thing etc but i hate that if anything about my culture
can someone explain what is bad about the left hand
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2009

Im 18, Nigerian but ive lived in America all my life
I hate that using my left hand for some things is forbidden
i dont know if its a family thing, Igbo thing, Nigerian thing etc but i hate that if anything about my culture
can someone explain what is bad about the left hand
Yes, using your left hand to give something is considered disrespectful in igboland also, using your right hand alone to give the same thing to your elder is considered disrespectful. Looking at the way we develop our left and right brain by coin toss, it's really a culture that should be outdated by now because the people that introduced it did not know the science behind the acclimatization of our limbs in accordance with our brain lobes. My cousin was forced by my grandma to use her right hands when she is naturally left handed. Up till this day, she use both hands and you will notice that she's a wannabe rightie. If she's driving you and you tell her to turn right at the junction, she'll turn left and vice versa.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Yes, using your left hand to give something is considered disrespectful in igboland also, using your right hand alone to give the same thing to your elder is considered disrespectful. Looking at the way we develop our left and right brain by coin toss, it's really a culture that should be outdated by now because the people that introduced it did not know the science behind the acclimatization of our limbs in accordance with our brain lobes. My cousin was forced by my grandma to use her right hands when she is naturally left handed. Up till this day, she use both hands and you will notice that she's a wannabe rightie. If she's driving you and you tell her to turn right at the junction, she'll turn left and vice versa.
Not only in Igboland. . . .it's a Nigerian thing
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 7:12pm On Apr 05, 2009
I thought it's only igbos that do that but modern parents don't force the right hands on their kids anymore because of education and christianity the way they used to do it before. it's always the older generation that laid much emphasis on it. Which kin rubbish be that?. Even the leftists are more expensive in soccer career because they are rare and difficult to come by.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I thought it's only igbos that do that but modern parents don't force the right hands on their kids anymore because of education and christianity the way they used to do it before. it's always the older generation that laid much emphasis on it. Which kin rubbish be that?. Even the leftists are more expensive in soccer career because they are rare and difficult to come by.
Hand something with your left hand to a yoruba elder and see if you dnt get a hot slap
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 7:25pm On Apr 05, 2009
Hand something with your left hand to a yoruba elder and see if you dnt get a hot slap
grin grin grin What of their grandchildren in London because they have plenty of them?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

grin grin grin What of their grandchildren in London because they have plenty of them?
Usually, they'd try to understand, but other elders might consider the grandchildren rude and disrespectful.
That's why I encourage Nigerians abroad to educate their children about our culture before they take them home.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2009
That's why I encourage Nigerians abroad to educate their children about our culture before they take them home.
That aspect of culture is very difficult to master if you don't live in that environment unless they've stayed with their granny for a long time before[I mean, a min of 6 months].
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That aspect of culture is very difficult to master if you don't live in that environment unless they've stayed with their granny for a long time before[I mean, a min of 6 months].
Yea, it can be hard, esp when it seems weird and retarded like greeting everybody in one room when one enters the room.
Gets on my nerves angry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by MrGlen: 11:28pm On Apr 05, 2009
Well i think its foolish because God created every human being with two hands for a reason, my parents dont make me do it unless there are elders in the room which is rare.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sammy107d(m): 4:40am On Apr 06, 2009
I dont care about the psychology or whatever, my kid aint handing me stuff with that left hand. It might have no scientific meaning, but is sure is discipline in some form. It teaches respect at least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / American Woman Married To Nigerian Man: Help! / Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.