Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,322 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8844 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by dtwsola(m): 7:35pm On Jun 13, 2009
I hate tribal marks, and the spraying of money.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by beingme(f): 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2009
i hate the fact that widows suffers alot cos they lost their husbands and taking away wat belongs to them
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Fhemmmy: 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
The fact that kids are not allowed to talk and have their own mind.
The fact that kids are not respected.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2009
I hate the fact that our politicians waste tax payers money on their mistresses and nobody questions them.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I hate the fact that our politicians waste tax payers money on their mistresses and nobody questions them.
Funmi, how do you know that?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia1: 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
Africans are supposed ( or is it ordered) to like EVERYTHING about african culture.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by adaide1: 10:26am On Nov 13, 2012
@osisi
Pls, Igbos don't greet there elders standing up as you described, they usually don't look into there eyes (which i think is funny)

They don't call them by there first name(never). You either call them by their title or their nick name or praise name. Besides,you can call them Nnaa or Nne m (if they are old enough to be your parents).
It is very rude of one to call his elder by name e.g my grandfather's name is Godwin, but we either call him papa or his Praise name, Onye o gazilu (onye ogazilu osi n'ibe ya na awo ara). It was only a member of his age grade (otu ogbo)or his colleagues had the previlege to call him, Godwin.

The beauty is whenever you greet, the way you say it tells the elder if you are happy with him or not but definitely you will show respect though not by prostrating(I do like the way Yorubas prostrate). Women bend slightly when they greet the elderly, while a young man does not stretch his hand to shake an elder (man), he only shakes when the elderly stretches his hand forth. Although, most elderly will not rebuke you for that unless he thinks you did it on purpose. Elderly women generally hugs not minding your sex.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / American Woman Married To Nigerian Man: Help! / How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.