Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8843 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by pureminded: 9:18am On Mar 30, 2009
@Topic-Nothing
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2009
@Ijay_girl
Tiebra!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 1:22pm On Mar 30, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AfroCynic: 4:04pm On Apr 01, 2009
I hate the whole tribal mark thing but it is not really part of Eko culture, (which is where I come from) it more a general Yoruba thing. I also really hate that my culture is so patriarchal, that annoys the hell out of me. I am always fighting my mother over it.

As for the kneeling down prostrating, I do not see anything wrong with that, you don't have to touch the ground, it just shows respect and deference, which is good thing to certain point, of course.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 4:06pm On Apr 01, 2009
yet Eko has its own distinguished tribal marks.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AfroCynic: 4:13pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeReloaded:

yet Eko has its own distinguished tribal marks.

Really? I am surprised, my parents and grand parents are tribal mark free. I have a cousin who has some but her pops is fulani so she has some faint line on her chin.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 4:23pm On Apr 01, 2009
it's called or "minus minus" slight "minus" mark on the cheek

Compared to the rest of Yorubaland, theirs is the least obvious unless charcoal was added to make it darker
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 4:27pm On Apr 01, 2009
I actually love that culture of prostrating and courtesying before your elders.
In Igboland, one small boy will just stand at attention and be talking to a 70 year old man sometimes calling him by his first name sef.
The culture shouldn't die amongst Yorubas.It's very respectful.

It wont die. If Aloy has a problem with it, he should marry from his village and leave Yoruba chicks alone.
Cant imagine anyone claiming to be Nigerian standing to shake my father's hand like a stupid retard

1 Like

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AfroCynic: 4:37pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeReloaded:

It wont die. If Aloy has a problem with it, he should marry from his village and leave Yoruba chicks alone.
Cant imagine anyone claiming to be Nigerian standing to shake my father's hand like a stupid retard

Exactly, I greet all elder like that, no matter what tribe they come from, it is just something that has been imbued in me. I do not not why some people object to it.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 5:20pm On Apr 01, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 5:30pm On Apr 01, 2009
How is Lagos tribal marks foreign to anyone?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by kokoye(m): 5:39pm On Apr 01, 2009
@ post

Female genital mutilation.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 01, 2009
Prostrating ko, courtesying ni. tongue I shake hands with my dad's friends and embrace if we are that close and nobody gives a damn. cool tongue

Anyway, my culture has not stopped me from achieving anything in life yet, so I can't say. undecided undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 5:42pm On Apr 01, 2009
You're not Yoruba so of course no one will give a damn and accept your yeye hand
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 5:44pm On Apr 01, 2009
kokoye:

@ post

Female genital mutilation.

Sometimes I forget this exist in Naija. Denial sha undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeReloaded:

You're not Yoruba so of course no one will give a damn and accept your yeye hand

Rotflmao. I do it for Yoruba peeps too. tongue
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 5:56pm On Apr 01, 2009
Only if that your father would have done one thing right in his life time which is raising you well. The way you spray your saliva here is enough to repulse anyone considering your prostration. What's the idea behind the prostration when the person doing it is not doing it with his or her heart?. If shaking your father while standing makes me a stupid retard then your father requesting me to prostrate is also a stupid retard and a buffon. Go and learn how to improve on your public relations because it's definitely poor.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 5:57pm On Apr 01, 2009
Poor Didrin. Tpia's been ignoring you hasnt she?  cry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 5:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
stillwater:

Rotflmao. I do it for Yoruba peeps too. tongue

They forgive you tongue
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sauron1: 6:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
**osisi:

People like Sauron that run around abusing their elders ,if this was in olden days,I would have ordered him sold into slavery. grin

ROFLMAOWPIMP. grin grin grin grin
I would readily jump into a slave ship going to NY while you are battling with mosquitoes n flea in em hamlets.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by infomegaly(m): 6:26pm On Apr 01, 2009
I HATE TRIBAL MARKS!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 6:30pm On Apr 01, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 6:38pm On Apr 01, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 6:39pm On Apr 01, 2009
Lagos is just one mark on each cheek

I will post pics when i get home
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 6:42pm On Apr 01, 2009
Abeg bone his side. who even believes in his imaginary Yoruba "fiance" sef?

He's  busy yarning dust about manners yet look at evidence of what he was raised with
then your father requesting me to prostrate is also a stupid retard and a buffon.

anyway na his abortion queen mama he dey mention, not my own family. cheesy  Omo ale that should have been swallowed.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by drossy(m): 7:29pm On Apr 01, 2009
The culture of greed, bribery and corruption is what I hate the most in Nigeria
Evil has permeated the fabrics of the nation that the line between good and bad is blurred.
Criminals and looting politicians are celebrated and highly esteemed even though everyone knows they got their wealth by illegal means.

I hate the culture of rudeness and lack of customer service
Everone seems angry and frustrated and ready to vent their spleen on innocent people

I hate the culture of using the Lords name in vain
Evil men pretending to be men of God while fleecing people of their meagre resources

I hate the culture of low expectation
The average Nigerian thinks he deoesn't deserve much from the elected officials and so we don't hold them accountable

I hate the culture of lawlessness and selfishness.
where individuals are constantly thinking of how to swindle the next man for quick bucks

I hate the culture of asheworism that has turned our young girls into pop corn begging whores
some with the parent's passive consent,
, THE BEST THING I HAVE HEARD IN YEARS!!!!
KUDOS!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by luvinhubby(m): 8:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
Speaking about hated cultures, i think the worst culture being practiced, albeit, secretly by many in Iboland and some other parts of southern nigeria is the of OSU cast system. Gosh!! that is the worst culture i can think of in nigeria.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by SeanT21(f): 9:04pm On Apr 01, 2009
Since I grew up in one of the main cities in Liberia,I have no cultural rules that I have to follow.Liberians who are from the villages are the ones that have cultural rules enforce on them.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
**osisi:

The culture of greed, bribery and corruption is what I hate the most in Nigeria
Evil has permeated the fabrics of the nation that the line between good and bad is blurred.
Criminals and looting politicians are celebrated  and highly esteemed even though everyone knows they got their wealth by illegal means.

I hate the culture of rudeness and lack of customer service
Everone seems angry and frustrated and ready to vent their spleen on innocent people

I hate the culture of using the Lords name in vain
Evil men pretending to be men of God while fleecing people of their meagre resources

I hate the culture of low expectation
The average Nigerian thinks he deoesn't deserve much from the elected officials and so we don't hold them accountable

I hate the culture of lawlessness and selfishness.
where individuals are constantly thinking of how to swindle the next man for quick bucks

I hate the culture of asheworism that has turned our young girls into pop corn begging whores
some with the parent's  passive consent

The best post on this thread by a wide margin!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 9:45pm On Apr 01, 2009
SeanT21:

Since I grew up in one of the main cities in Liberia,I have no cultural rules that I have to follow.Liberians who are from the villages are the ones that have cultural rules enforce on them.

Most of us dont have tribal marks yet that doesnt stop us from speaking against it.

Question is what cuolture is your tribe or country known for that you hate, not what culture is enforced on you that you hate. K?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Hauwa1: 9:56pm On Apr 01, 2009
FGM, sad cry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by SeanT21(f): 10:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeReloaded:

Most of us dont have tribal marks yet that doesnt stop us from speaking against it.

Question is what cuolture is your tribe or country known for that you hate, not what culture is enforced on you that you hate. K?

I grew up in the city so I will not know about these various cultural ways.Liberians that grew up in the city have no idea about these things because culture ways are not known or practice in the cities only in the interior aka the village.Cultural ways or tribes are not taken seriously in the cities.If you asked that question to a village gal she will have the answer.If you ask the same question to a gal from the city she will have no idea.Plus,I did not even know my tribe until last year so I wont know about cultural ways that they are known for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / American Woman Married To Nigerian Man: Help! / How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.