Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,300 members, 7,850,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:46 PM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17381 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2009
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Unknown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2009
Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense.

Voltaire
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2009
davidylan:

I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the evolutionists idea of the origin of earth and man

-David

David is an atheist? Now that's weird. It's at times like this that I want to play the no true Scotsman fallacy.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2009
Faith is the determination to remain ignorant in the face of all evidence that you are ignorant.
- Shaun Mason

All natural institutions of churches, appear to me human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind.
- Thomas Paine

Whatever we cannot easily understand we call god; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissue.
-Edward Abbey

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.
-Benjamin Franklin

When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen Roberts

Religions are like fireflies.They require darkness in order to shine.
-Arthur Schopenhauer

Religions are like farts.Yours is good, but everyone else's stinks.
-Unknown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30am On Apr 09, 2009
We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything.

-- Thomas A. Edison

(I wonder why someone would say that they are certain that there is no God)
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 12:38am On Apr 09, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

The invisible and the non-existant look very much alike

Delos McKown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by BloodShed1: 9:37am On Apr 09, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything.

-- Thomas A. Edison

''Yes there's alot we still don't know, but saying ''God did it'' doesnt answer anything at all''

-Infidel Guy

"Well, I think that belief in God is an impure thought. It pollutes our understanding of reality. It gets in the way. And it brings out the worst in the best of us, so that we're even prepared to stoop so low as to poison the unformed minds of the people we love the most: our children. I'm sorry, but there's no nice way to say this -- if you fill your child's mind with images of Satan and the horrors of hellfire, you're a sick individual and you are mentally ill. And the only reason you don't know this is because you've been indulged for far too long by people and institutions that really ought to know better. The truth is, your beliefs are infantile. Your scriptures are lies, and your gods -- are illusions. And I can say that with all due respect, because[b] no respect is actually due[/b]. And besides, anyone who has to demand respect automatically deserves ridicule. if you deserved respect, you'd already have it. You'd be rolling around in it, like a televangelist in other people's money. No. What you deserve is mockery."

- Pat Condell
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2009
If A equals success, then the formula is _ A = _ X + _ Y + _ Z. _ X is work. _ Y is play. _ Z is keep your mouth shut. tongue

-- Albert Einstein
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by No2Atheism(m): 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2009
There is probably no God, so go ahead and enjoy your life.

- UK based atheistic bus advertisements.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by No2Atheism(m): 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2009
Any one who believes there is a Creator is stupid, because I know they cannot prove the existence of a Creator.

I am an Atheist because I believe there is no Creator, even though I know I cannot prove it.

--- Typical Generic Atheist
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bgees(m): 3:47pm On Apr 09, 2009
religion is nothing but enhanced superstition.

-----------------anonymous.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:57pm On Apr 09, 2009
Given the fact of Evolution, one would expect the fossils to document a gradual steady change from ancestral forms to the descendants.  But this is not what the palaeontologist finds.  Instead, he or she finds gaps in just about every phyletic series.”-- Ernst Mayr

Ernst Mayr (Professor Emeritus, Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard University, hailed as the Darwin of the 20th century), What Evolution Is, 2001, pg. 14.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 11:14pm On Apr 09, 2009
Surely you do not believe in the gods. Whats your argument? Wheres your proof?

-Aristophanes
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 11:20pm On Apr 09, 2009
Religion is the opium of the masses

-Karl Marx
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2009
Religion has actually convinced people that theres an invisible man living in the sky

-George Carlin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41pm On Apr 09, 2009
[b]" … organized lie [that] must be smashed.  The State must remain the absolute master.  When I was younger, I thought it was necessary to set about [destroying religion] … with dynamite.  I’ve since realized there’s room for a little subtlety ….  The final state must be … in St. Peter’s Chair, a senile officiant; facing him a few sinister old women …  The young and healthy are on our side …  it’s impossible to eternally hold humanity in bondage and lies …. [It] was only between the sixth and eighth centuries that Christianity was imposed upon our peoples …. Our peoples had previously succeeded in living all right without this religion.  I have six divisions of SS men absolutely indifferent in matters of religion.  It doesn’t prevent them from going to their death with serenity in their souls."[/b] -- Adolf Hitler

-- Hitler, A. Ref. 32, p.117
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mantraa: 11:43pm On Apr 09, 2009
"I think, therefore I am".

- René Descartes
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2009
Although I would describe myself as Anti-Nietzschean (or, maybe it's because I would describe myself as Anti-Nietzschean), I still enjoy Nietzsche's writings, and many of his aphorisms and musings are still valuable. I'll posta few I like and remember, excluding the "God is dead" quote which has already been posted.

First a joyful one:

"No! You should for the time being learn the art of consolation in this life: you should learn to laugh, my young friends, even if you wish to remain thoroughly pessimistic."

- Birth of Tragedy

Okay?:

"The greatest weight -- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This Life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable time more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everthing unutterable small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence--even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!' Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' If this thought gained possession of you, it would change you as you are or perhaps crush you. The question in each and every thing, 'Do you desire this once more and inumberable times more?' would lie upon your actions as the greatest weight. Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?"

- The Gay Science

There's a reading of it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwImAvjGeO8
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

Adolf Hitler

Wasn't an atheist.

mantraa:

- René Descartes

Wasn't an atheist either.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 3:01pm On Apr 10, 2009
S'more:

"Once upon a time, in some out of the way corner of that universe which is dispersed into numberless twinkling solar systems, there was a star upon which clever beasts invented knowing. That was the most arrogant and mendacious minute of "world history," but nevertheless, it was only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths, the star cooled and congealed, and the clever beasts had to die."

- On Truth and Lies ~

"There is an ancient story that King Midas hunted in the forest a long time for the wise Silenus, the companion of Dionysus, without capturing him. When Silenus at last fell into his hands, the king asked what was the best and most desirable of all things for man. Fixed and immovable, the demigod said not a word, till at last, urged by the king, he gave a shrill laugh and broke out into these words: «Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is-—to die soon."

The Birth of Tragedy"

Happy thoughts:

“My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it— all idealism is mendaciousness in the face of what is necessary— but love it.”

- Ecce Homo

"Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."

- The Twilight of the Idols
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by PastorAIO: 3:06pm On Apr 10, 2009
I've always wondered about the eternal recurrence. Can it actually be called a recurrence? If something were to happen again and exactly so in every particular could it really be said to be another occurrence or rather the very same occurrence.

Why would I gnash my teeth at the reoccurrence of this very moment if I'm not gnashing my teeth now. As I am ignorant of any previous occurrence of Now and live it, as it were, as if it were the first time so will I be in the future ignorant of it.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I've always wondered about the eternal recurrence. Can it actually be called a recurrence? If something were to happen again and exactly so in every particular could it really be said to be another occurrence or rather the very same occurrence.

Why would I gnash my teeth at the reoccurrence of this very moment if I'm not gnashing my teeth now. As I am ignorant of any previous occurrence of Now and live it, as it were, as if it were the first time so will I be in the future ignorant of it.

It would be a reoccurence of your entire life, not just this moment. I see your point, though, as if a person had to live exactly the same life again, then it stands to reason that the person cannot know that they had once lived that life previously thereby invalidating the whole enterprise. It's a great point. The way I understand it, Nietzsche's intention( as far as anybody can talk about Nietzsche's intentions) was for the reader to approach the thought experiment from the perspective of "I am currently living and thinking, and in reviewing my entire life to this moment, would my decisions, etc be worth going through again?). More so, "can I then ensure that the rest of my life contains a series of moments that will make me love the idea of life and want to do this all again just so I can experience those joys again". Something along those lines.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 4:47pm On Apr 10, 2009
Everyone starts out being an atheist. Noone is born with belief in anything.

-Andy Rooney
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 4:53pm On Apr 10, 2009
gods are fragile things; they maybe killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

-Chapman Cohen
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 6:54pm On Apr 10, 2009
manmustwac:

-Andy Rooney

That just gave me the itch to watch some Andy Rooney. Lol. I'm surprised that quote didn't contain a list. I love Andy.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by 4Play(m): 7:02pm On Apr 10, 2009
manmustwac:

-Andy Rooney

The dumbness of this quote is surpassed by the dumbness of its lauders. Everyone starts out benighted, innumerate and illiterate but no one in their sane mind will use this, whether expressly or impliedly, to extol ignorance and illiteracy.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 7:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
4 Play:

The dumbness of this quote is surpassed by the dumbness of its lauders. Everyone starts out benighted, innumerate and illiterate but no one in their sane mind will use this, whether expressly or impliedly, to extol ignorance and illiteracy.

Hey, man, relax, it's Andy Rooney. Chill out and watch some 60 minutes. You can wathc it people that are atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Scientologists, Animists, Hindus, Jains, Wiccans, Satanists . . . anybody really. Andy rules, and you know it.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:47am On Apr 13, 2009
Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Everytime we go to church we're just making him madder.

-Homer Simpson
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:54am On Apr 13, 2009
Reliion is not merely the opium of the masses, it's the cyanide.

-Tom Robbins
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 8:00am On Apr 13, 2009
I prayed for freedom for 20 years, but recieved no answer until i prayed with my legs

-Frederick Douglass
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by jackdaniel(m): 6:12pm On Apr 13, 2009
In defence of the atheists on being scared of Islam (Radical Islam);
“Why bother to teach a fish calculus” or “why bother to engage in a rational argument with one who is willing to blow one’s self for 70 imaginary high breasted virgins; when we have over a billion virgins on planet earth who are high breasted(natural/plastic surgery)” grin grin grin. I think such a person is more in need of a psychologist and not a rationalist.
It’s not fear; it’s more of common sense, And besides, nobody wants to die in the hands of a psycho. grin
P/s nobody should declare fatwa on me yet, I might still see the light in Islam someday grin (Allah Akbar) grin grin grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:37am On Apr 14, 2009
In man is a three-pound brain which, as far as we know, is the most complex and orderly arrangement of matter in the universe.”

-- The late Isaac Asimov

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Hell Exists Because God Loves You / Mike Bamiloye Shares Story On His 33rd Marital Engagement Anniversary (Photos) / 5 Spiritual Benefits Of Fasting Based On My Own Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.