Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School (40622 Views)

7 Emerging Tech Jobs That Are Going To Pay Well In 2019 / Pls Help, Am Begining To Regret Ever Giving Out 6yrs Of My Life To Education / Advice, He Was Invited For A Chat after a brave reply to the regret letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 09, 2015
Francizy and Kaboninc, you're kindly needed here.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 09, 2015
Truckpusher:
Your problem is that you went to school and thinking that the govt must get you a job.

Your friend learnt a trade and you equally learnt a trade too by going to school ,but you have refused to put yours into works and start up something no matter how small and ridiculous it might look and someday and just somehow you'll get there.

There is no more free meal even in Freetown, move your ass and make that school fees count.

That is the point...do you know how many years it takes a roustabout to become a truck pusher? not to talk of owning a drilling company? The reality is that education is overrated... the guys who served my mum are now millionaires....and some of us have gone as far as getting second degree and the best we can get is a better job.

If a graduate will end up starting a biz, then what's the point in plenty degree certificates?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Obynolee(f): 11:39am On Sep 09, 2015
TastyTuoyo:

First class looking for a 90k job to survive? Grow up you ought to know better

What is the percentage of 1st class graduates?,i know an second class graduate who teaches in a private secondary school that earns less than 20K(i think 18K).So,forget it,the situation is really bad

6 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:40am On Sep 09, 2015
macklef:
Guy the reality of life does not depend on whether u goto school or not.
I dont believe in destiny but whenever we are faced with two choices, i believe
U have 2 possible outcomes. Just as u chosed school n have not gotten ur glory uptil
Now, some in ur same class have. And i can tell u alot of electrician who are so broke dey dont know how d next day wil.
All fingers are not equa n life plays this scripts wella

Spot on!
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by mmsen: 11:40am On Sep 09, 2015
Learning a trade is sadly underrated in most societies.

I remember when the economy tanked in America, people with economics degrees were losing their homes while plumbers and electricians were busy buying property as investments.

'Education' is important but what it means to some is so narrow as to be useless.

OP, don't lament, it's never too late to learn a trade in your spare time. The time that the average Nigerian spends in church can be used to learn skills that will make them money in the long term.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:
Sometimes I want to regret going to school because arguably I still fail to see the reasons or benefits of going to school. Yesterday a friend of mine whose parents took him to learn electrical on cars after primary school, went to withdraw 1.5m to purchase a jeep. His story building is near completion, married and blessed with 2 wonderful kids. We all know what it takes to have a story building in Lagos. This my friend barely reads a simple sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not envious of him rather I'm happy but today, I'd to take a seat and remembered how he convinced me to join him in learning this same handiwork that has made him the prospective landlord and car owner that he's today while I chose to go to school to acquire a certificate only to have graduated and served fathers land without a job to even make boast of. I also have some friends who dropped after secondary school, today they are all married and living good...

It's kinda annoying and I don't know if to say regrettable for going to school because it has not even paid off. The annoying aspect self is most jobs today can't even foot one's expenses and bills due to the hash economy and almost every job you get today is contract base, so one begins to think what is the purpose of spending several years reading without any tangible benefit awaiting stresslessly.

Bro, sincerely speaking, I can relate with your pain and frustration. But seriously, your degree isn't a guarantee for success; skills are! Get some relevant skills.

We actually didn't go to school just to get a job. We went to school to decrease our ignorance. LOL!

Bro, the world doesn't owe you a job. The system doesn't owe you a job. You have to go and seek and fight it out. Our preconceived notions about life and job are our greatest undoing.

THE WORLD DOESNT OWE YOU A JOB!

YOUR DEGREE ISNT A GUARANTEE FOR SUCCESS!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by kodlins(f): 11:41am On Sep 09, 2015
vfactor:
University education is over rated, especially when u don't study any practical or professional course like engineering, law and medicine (not all engineering courses apply sef). With a good/sound basic education (primary and secondary) and profitable trade, one can survive and live well.

I agree with you

If you study Agric&Bio or Metallurgy Engineering in Nigeria, you are perfectly on your own.

1 Like

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by ibkgab001: 11:41am On Sep 09, 2015
Why are you laughing .. You must have a generator shop ? You too will soon hear am
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 09, 2015
tobimillar:

That is the point...do you know how many years it takes a roustabout to become a truck pusher? not to talk of owning a drilling company? The reality is that education is overrated... the guys who served my mum are now millionaires....and some of us have gone as far as getting second degree and the best we can get is a better job.

If a graduate will end up starting a biz, then what's the point in plenty degree certificates?

Thanks for the above comment bro. But I have to disagree with some points there. Actually, education isn't overrated; it's our perception about it that is overrated and wrong. Education goes well beyond academics.

1 Like

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by oteneaaron(m): 11:43am On Sep 09, 2015
menix:

What if d light frm the other end of the tunnel is that of a train?

Wow.. Av neva tot abt it.....dat light could definitely be a train......wat a chilling reality.....

2 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Truckpusher(m): 11:44am On Sep 09, 2015
tobimillar:

The degrees would ensure that your outlook on life is be totally different.And with that degree you should have access to great ideas in the circle of the friends and the people you associate with and anywhere you present your idea people would readily key in without asking too much questions.
Why do you feel that banks and all the financial houses keep doling out bigger cash for already rich people ?
I have a friend that started importing minor medical kit from China with 700, 000 naira he borrowed from his uncle and the banks where making shakara for him and he decided to save every penny he gets as profit until he had about 4million Naira from profit and initial capital after removing his overhead cost for duty payment - Right now he owns a warehouse and whenever he walks into the bank he can access a loan worth close to 100 million and the chap is diversifying his investment to try liquidate his loan on premature settlement go for something bigger and he kees growing . Of course it took him 6yrs to get there.

Until you stop making excuses you'll never move forward . First point of call is to sit down, have a dream and go after it no matter how small.

6 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 09, 2015
otabuko:
If I lie make i die... I dey feel exactly same way.... Passed out February 2015....this is September.... No job at hand.... I dey even learn sowing now.... E dey pain me joor ...
Lol...u are so funny, I think sowing is a very good one considering how fashionable Nigerians are getting theses days, u will make it if u put your mind to it.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 09, 2015
There is nothing wrong in acquiring a university education, the fault is in the setting/environment you are established. Don't regret your decision. There is a time for everything underneath the sun. Your time will come.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 09, 2015
Truckpusher:
Your problem is that you went to school and thinking that the govt must get you a job.

Your friend learnt a trade and you equally learnt a trade too by going to school ,but you have refused to put yours into works and start up something no matter how small and ridiculous it might look and someday and just somehow you'll get there.

There is no more free meal even in Freetown, move your ass and make that school fees count.

Socrates has spoken!
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:45am On Sep 09, 2015
JefLonDon:
OP no lie U no get First Class or 2:1

I sure say na 3rd class u get

Na people like u dey make skul tire person to go
Some mechanics, tailors, welders, carpenters, etc make more money than some first class and 2:1 graduates.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by wealthpos(f): 11:45am On Sep 09, 2015
Op:..You really need to apply yourself and stop looking it in that angle,because when you apply yourself properly with the education you have,you will be better off...Everything is not about money or properties..Think deeply on this and be positive.You have a better chance than your rewire friend in the society...You just need to apply yourself and change your mind.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 09, 2015
Alvanify:
I know how you feel brother, what you just lamented is reality.
This is a country where even yahoo boy has a brighter future than a graduate.
Check it.
...checked...
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Eniqurl(f): 11:46am On Sep 09, 2015
All is well even in the well.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by realest247(m): 11:49am On Sep 09, 2015
TastyTuoyo:

A fraudster has a brighter future? what is a bright future? A fraudster can never have a bright future because sooner or later he will be behind bars but a Graduate with prayer , determination and perseverance those times of trekking in the baking weather from one interview to another will be in the past when he finally secures that job and will be driving a fully air conditioned car. So tell me who has a brighter future now?

My Brother stop deceiving yourself. Nigerian is place were everyone has steal one way or the other. Nigeria is were if one is working in a firm and do runs to make money, apart from your salary. We live in a place were if one is not involve in all that, they say u are not smart.

Again, if u say 419'er has no brighter future, what would u make of Orji Kalu, Rochas Okorocha, Theodore Orji etc... that has become Gov & CEO's of firm that employ Graduates?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by ab2care: 11:49am On Sep 09, 2015
TastyTuoyo:

A fraudster has a brighter future? what is a bright future? A fraudster can never have a bright future because sooner or later he will be behind bars but a Graduate with prayer , determination and perseverance those times of trekking in the baking weather from one interview to another will be in the past when he finally secures that job and will be driving a fully air conditioned car. So tell me who has a brighter future now?
all nigeria top politcians are fraudster and yet they have good and brighter future, check thier lives and thier children they are all doing good.

4 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:
Sometimes I want to regret going to school because arguably I still fail to see the reasons or benefits of going to school. Yesterday a friend of mine whose parents took him to learn electrical on cars after primary school, went to withdraw 1.5m to purchase a jeep. His story building is near completion, married and blessed with 2 wonderful kids. We all know what it takes to have a story building in Lagos. This my friend barely reads a simple sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not envious of him rather I'm happy but today, I'd to take a seat and remembered how he convinced me to join him in learning this same handiwork that has made him the prospective landlord and car owner that he's today while I chose to go to school to acquire a certificate only to have graduated and served fathers land without a job to even make boast of. I also have some friends who dropped after secondary school, today they are all married and living good...

It's kinda annoying and I don't know if to say regrettable for going to school because it has not even paid off. The annoying aspect self is most jobs today can't even foot one's expenses and bills due to the hash economy and almost every job you get today is contract base, so one begins to think what is the purpose of spending several years reading without any tangible benefit awaiting stresslessly.

Nothing stop you from learning the electrical technician trade now that you have your Bachelor degree. You can still be an apprentice and learn it. Bachelors degree does not forbid someone from learning or being an apprentice to someone who is uneducated.

Learn to stoop low, learn the trade and use ur knowledge as a graduate to perform better than the uneducated doing the same work.

I have a sister with a CGPA of 4.7 (First Class) currently in her 400Level Second semeter Internship in Electrical engineering. She has spent 3months in a multinational company for her Internship. I just told her to do the remaining 3 months with a street uneducated electrician who repairs TV, Radio and Fridge. Note: I have a First Class myself in Engineering.

The aim is for her to gather skills and believe more in her skills than her grade.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 09, 2015
atbu1983:

Nothing stop you from learning the electrical technician trade now that you have your Bachelor degree. You can still be an apprentice and learn it. Bachelors degree does not forbid someone from learning or being an apprentice to someone who is uneducated.

Learn to stoop low, learn the trade and use ur knowledge as a graduate to perform better than the uneducated doing the same work.

GBAM!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 09, 2015
menix:

What if d light frm the other end of the tunnel is that of a train?
Wow Lol...
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by edwife(f): 11:53am On Sep 09, 2015
Truckpusher:
The degrees would ensure that your outlook on life is be totally different.And with that degree you should have access to great ideas in the circle of the friends and the people you associate with and anywhere you present your idea people would readily key in without asking too much questions.
Why do you feel that banks and all the financial houses keep doling out bigger cash for already rich people ?
I have a friend that started importing minor medical kit from China with 700, 000 naira he borrowed from his uncle and the banks where making shakara for him and he decided to save every penny he gets as profit until he had about 4million Naira from profit and initial capital after removing his overhead cost for duty payment - Right now he owns a warehouse and whenever he walks into the bank he can access a loan worth close to 100 million and the chap is diversifying his investment to try liquidate his loan on premature settlement go for something bigger and he kees growing . Of course it took him 6yrs to get there.

Until you stop making excuses you'll never move forward . First point of call is to sit down, have a dream and go after it no matter how small.

Well said.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:54am On Sep 09, 2015
Truckpusher:

This is the same lie that motivational speakers sell to young people.

2 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 09, 2015
Truckpusher:

I don't subscribe to giving excuses for failure...but then I ask do you need a degree to change your outlook about life?

The truth is nobody can ever and I mean EVER become TRUELY rich by working for someone or a company. The best one can be is a managing director in that company and then retirement comes.

To be truly rich, one need to own a company, like everybody is preaching these days, start small...but do you need a degree or master degree to start small? that is the pertinent question...our brothers who are importing and exporting, who own several business at idumota, onitsha, aba, Alaba etc don't even have any certificate...and at the end of the day they employ that graduate who spent almost 5years in school.

Come to think of it, the money some people spend for one year in school (school fees, handouts, lecture materials etc) is enough to start that business not to talk of the money people spend for a five year program?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by adonbilivit: 11:55am On Sep 09, 2015
otabuko:
If I lie make i die... I dey feel exactly same way.... Passed out February 2015....this is September.... No job at hand.... I dey even learn sowing now.... E dey pain me joor ...
u just joined d club na.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 09, 2015
lonelydora:
A times, I regret studying Engineering. Not that I'm not doing well but for some personal reasons.
do share.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 09, 2015
Op success has nothing to do with the level of your education or background it has to do with you as an individual and ur level of determination. .
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by GodswillAJudins(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2015
vfactor:
University education is over rated, especially when u don't study any practical or professional course like engineering, law and medicine (not all engineering courses apply sef). With a good/sound basic education (primary and secondary) and profitable trade, one can survive and live well.

In this case, is meterlugy and material engineering ok? Cos that's the cos I was offered to study in futa,
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by victorazy(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2015
sanandreas:
ig I tell u my story en lipsrsealed

grin
Plz tell us!

1 Like

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Toks2008(m): 11:59am On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:

The problem is when we get a certificate and depend on getting a job before moving forward in life.

Everything that i have ever done and gave me money was never with my cert but my sound intellect as a result of years of accumulated education.I had a bachelor's degree in Microbiology but today asides my political career,i am a business consultant with focus on E-commerce and i also control a potentially big snail distribution firm which has nothing to do with my degree as a microbiologist.

Think outside the box and you will realize that you can be a major player in hat same field they are presently making money from and even much more.

Look for a job but don't ever wait for a job before you mve forward.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2017 HEINEKEN International Graduate Trainee Recruitment / Npower News Nairaland Thread / N-Power: FG To ‘Disengage’ Over 200,000 Beneficiaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.