Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School (40614 Views)

7 Emerging Tech Jobs That Are Going To Pay Well In 2019 / Pls Help, Am Begining To Regret Ever Giving Out 6yrs Of My Life To Education / Advice, He Was Invited For A Chat after a brave reply to the regret letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by francizy(m): 1:44pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:
Francizy and Kaboninc, you're kindly needed here.

Well OP, the deed has been done. You are not alone. Best thing is for you to look ahead. Try find opportunities where there seems to be none. It's either you embrace entrepreneurship or you embrace employability (in the later case, you should try getting a job even if it's a voluntary one just to build your CV).

It all depends on you and don't ever think it's all over cuz I finished NYSC but I don't have a Job. Now I've settled and am almost on the verge of starting up something.

For those advicing that professional courses are the best, don't fool the OP cuz in this life, there is no profession that is best. Some courses (professional or not) can make one better presentable as an employee while others can groom one to become an entrepreneur. It depends on how one uses the knowledge acquired.

Lemme give you a clue, some people who studied fine art are big boys and girls and sell ordinary paintings for over a million naira. Can you beat that? While those who studied professional courses (me as an example) were busy jumping from one test/interview to another, people who studied home economics are out there making it big with the practical skills obtained in school (especially polytechnics). These home economics graduates were taught how to make skin care products, washing detergents and soaps, catering, event management, hair dressing, makeover, etc, while I was taught dy/dx and some stewpid reactions taking place in a blast furnace during pig iron production.

Like I'd always say, my children must balance academics with vocational trainings/skills and will never be groomed to become employees but rather employers of labour..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by hollowpot15684(m): 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2015
The solution to unemployment is right here in my mind, but I won't disclose it.
You guys refuses to do something before gaining admission.
All you do is simultaneous equation and boyle law.. U will never make money lai lai.

7 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by GodswillAJudins(m): 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2015
AgapeCharis:
You're already getting it wrong. You're thinking of the course that can fetch you money. Truth is, no course fetches money. There are intelligent doctors out there that can't boast of a million naira. Is it the many charge and bail lawyers we're talking about?

Go to school but don't rely on what school will give you (a degree) to be able to make money.

Get it right from the beginning.

You got my mentality wrong, I was only asking if the course is practically oriented, yes I can rely on my degree but instead I will make my degree rely on me.
Technology for self reliance that my motto.
Thanks for the advice.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by stonecoldcafe: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:
Sometimes I want to regret going to school because arguably I still fail to see the reasons or benefits of going to school. Yesterday a friend of mine whose parents took him to learn electrical on cars after primary school, went to withdraw 1.5m to purchase a jeep. His story building is near completion, married and blessed with 2 wonderful kids. We all know what it takes to have a story building in Lagos. This my friend barely reads a simple sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not envious of him rather I'm happy but today, I'd to take a seat and remembered how he convinced me to join him in learning this same handiwork that has made him the prospective landlord and car owner that he's today while I chose to go to school to acquire a certificate only to have graduated and served fathers land without a job to even make boast of. I also have some friends who dropped after secondary school, today they are all married and living good...

It's kinda annoying and I don't know if to say regrettable for going to school because it has not even paid off. The annoying aspect self is most jobs today can't even foot one's expenses and bills due to the hash economy and almost every job you get today is contract base, so one begins to think what is the purpose of spending several years reading without any tangible benefit awaiting stresslessly.

I know how you feel. Its never too late to learn that trade. I know loads of friends who after their degree delved into other things. Some learnt those things during the long ASU strike break. You will always have an edge with your degree. Where there is life, there remains hope.

Go for it brother! Don't wallow in regret.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by omene3321: 1:57pm On Sep 09, 2015
Alvanify:
I know how you feel brother, what you just lamented is reality.
This is a country where even yahoo boy has a brighter future than a graduate.
Check it.
through talk
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Achilies(m): 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2015
Op I feel ur pain.

Success has nothing to do with the level of your education. It have a lot to do with u as an individual.

Till this day some people still find it hard that am not a graduate and from a poor background.

When I finished my secondary school I decided to go try business. It was not easy but today at the age of 32, I am a made man. I can boast of more than 20m in my account, 6 different shops, 3 cars ( BMW 7S, Toyota spider and Honda baby boy. 4 plots of land in port Harcourt and a mansion in the village.

Focus, ambition, determination and the willingness to take Risk are most of the things u need to succeed and not your certificate

5 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by sunnyb0b0(m): 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Some mechanics, tailors, welders, carpenters, etc make more money than some first class and 2:1 graduates.

First time OrlandoOwoh has made sense on Nairaland in 2015. E remain Beremx.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by datigbogirl: 2:08pm On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:
Sometimes I want to regret going to school because arguably I still fail to see the reasons or benefits of going to school. Yesterday a friend of mine whose parents took him to learn electrical on cars after primary school, went to withdraw 1.5m to purchase a jeep. His story building is near completion, married and blessed with 2 wonderful kids. We all know what it takes to have a story building in Lagos. This my friend barely reads a simple sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not envious of him rather I'm happy but today, I'd to take a seat and remembered how he convinced me to join him in learning this same handiwork that has made him the prospective landlord and car owner that he's today while I chose to go to school to acquire a certificate only to have graduated and served fathers land without a job to even make boast of. I also have some friends who dropped after secondary school, today they are all married and living good...

It's kinda annoying and I don't know if to say regrettable for going to school because it has not even paid off. The annoying aspect self is most jobs today can't even foot one's expenses and bills due to the hash economy and almost every job you get today is contract base, so one begins to think what is the purpose of spending several years reading without any tangible benefit awaiting stresslessly.

Bro I know how you feel...will you come work in my beer parlour as a waiter?
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 09, 2015
freedom96:
Chemical enginnering,civil engineering and electrical apply?If yes,Which among them do u think is more profitable?

I am a civil engineer, so naturally I would say mine is profitable. But electrical is also good and profitable if u can get enough practical skills from someone experienced. Chemical emgineering too isn't that bad. From my discussion with someone, there are lots chemicals one could produce, like paints and others!
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by noblegrex: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:

its a very good thing that you are a grauduate.but as you can now see,they're saying you should get skill so that you can survive in life.that hand work you ran away from,is what they're asking all graduate to do know,even in camp and after camp they call it post camp training,n that's after going to school. So y can't one just face the hand work straight away.may God help all the graduates ooooooooooooooo even those who are yet to be a graduate should go and learn tailoring,barbing,beads making etc and etc + etc....
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:

I'll like to drink from that awesome well of yours. You've got something that resonates with me.
Coming from dearpreye shocked This is an honour. grin

Eeerm, what can I say? Christ has been made unto me wisdom. That's the well I tap from.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Jetjacky(m): 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:

Hahaha...honestly even d yahoo boy wu left some remote village to come hustle in lagos is building a huz in d island and riding on an expensive car why d 1st class graduate is roaming d strt of lagos looking for a 90k job to survive. What an insult to education.

like seriously, buhari dey Na, why una come dey frown?? cheesy
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 09, 2015
GodswillAJudins:

In this case, is meterlugy and material engineering ok? Cos that's the cos I was offered to study in futa,

If you put your mind to it and u find its revelence in the society, why not. I am only against courses where u have to seek office employment before u can make money.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Coming from dearpreye shocked This is an honour. grin

Eeerm, what can I say? Christ has been made unto me wisdom. That's the well I tap from.

I see your Source now! That endless oasis of wisdom!

Thanks for your contribution.

Never mind. Folks are reading it, and I believe it's changing a few.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by vega84(m): 2:23pm On Sep 09, 2015
That's life fr u there are graduates too who are doing very well like me (no be boasting oo) there is also people who didn't go tru skool that ventured into biz in our days who still nothing to show fr it today #vegatalks
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by menix(m): 2:26pm On Sep 09, 2015
stanvesco:

D last time I checked my dear,tunnels have side walk....._ get d fvck off d. Rail, and keep walking ahead...bkos dirs always a light at d end of eevry tunnel

Guy Doz ur life depend on 'Fvck'
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by menix(m): 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2015
Obiwannn:
Exactly,...
bro, hwfr nw? been a yle. did u still embark on that surjoun?

Yeep bro..
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by kaboninc(m): 2:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
forix4u:

I feel your pains. I know how it feels when expectations are not met. I know how it feels when your present situation is a constant reminder that you're yet to arrive. I know how it feels when you know you're brilliant and smart and for whatever reasons (some you're responsible and others you're not responsible) you just can't get that job.

I've come to understand that in life, in all endeavours, in all activities you engage yourself with, the knowledge acquired can never be lost. It can only be redundant and will be so pending when you make use of it.

I do not want to say much but I'll tell you that that certificate you've got is an edge and will take you places. Still, look for ways to equip yourself by acquiring new skills and taking more challenges especially in an area that fancies you - your passion.

I saw a post somewhere and it says - we are not poor but if we die poor we are responsible. Your friends may not have a formal education but you have and that's an edge.

Always be positive....the most fulfilled today were challenged by their current condition - see yours as an opportunity as they saw theirs.

Cheers
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by skedy1(m): 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
Chill, we gonna get there....

#MeNotGivingUpNow
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by kaboninc(m): 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2015
francizy:

Well OP, the deed has been done. You are not alone. Best thing is for you to look ahead. Try find opportunities where there seems to be none. It's either you embrace entrepreneurship or you embrace employability (in the later case, you should try getting a job even if it's a voluntary one just to build your CV).

It all depends on you and don't ever think it's all over cuz I finished NYSC but I don't have a Job. Now I've settled and am almost on the verge of starting up something.

For those advicing that professional courses are the best, don't fool the OP cuz in this life, there is no profession that is best. Some courses (professional or not) can make one better presentable as an employee while others can groom one to become an entrepreneur. It depends on how one uses the knowledge acquired.

Lemme give you a clue, some people who studied fine art are big boys and girls and sell ordinary paintings for over a million naira. Can you beat that? While those who studied professional courses (me as an example) were busy jumping from one test/interview to another, people who studied home economics are out there making it big with the practical skills obtained in school (especially polytechnics). These home economics graduates were taught how to make skin care products, washing detergents and soaps, catering, event management, hair dressing, makeover, etc, while I was taught dy/dx and some stewpid reactions taking place in a blast furnace during pig iron production.

Like I'd always say, my children must balance academics with vocational trainings/skills and will never be groomed to become employees but rather employers of labour..

LMAO..... cheesy cheesy cheesy

GOan get a refund nau..... cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yeye boy. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

That babe you give me, EggovinNma, she like money tooo mush oh....she wan know the depth of my pocket

1 Like

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by jaylister(m): 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2015
The problem with we Nigerian youths is that we do the same thing, same way; no more creativity, we jst believe in school and government, even though we are seeing that the richest men in the country today are not people who depend on government but self employment. i will advice every student that immediately after graduation you should also get a hand work which may serve as an alternative.
forix4u:

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2015
GodswillAJudins:

You got my mentality wrong, I was only asking if the course is practically oriented, yes I can rely on my degree but instead I will make my degree rely on me.
Technology for self reliance that my motto.
Thanks for the advice.
Oh sorry the misconception.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by adeniyi4real201: 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2015
It is well… Yahoo boys come spoil d whole tins, I after I have spent all my saving from NYSC on acquiring Master degree now am jux managing in with a friend no place to go no wia to go… Will I go for hard labour after all d years wasted on education… And these our leaders telling us to establish ourselves.. Abeg help me ask dem wia is d money… Av written enof appeal letter for fund raising nothing come out infact Nigeria is a mess. If you have never experienced it you will never understand or feel the pain.[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
I DECIDE TO COMMENT FIRST BEFORE EVEN READING THE WRITE UP, MY COMMENT IS

NEVER NEVER EVER REGRET GOING TO SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU ARE FAR FAR FAR BETTER OFF GOING TO SCHOOL THAN NOT GOING TO SCHOOL. EVEN AN EDUCATED POOR MAN IS BETTER THAN AN ILLITERATE POOR MAN.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
yak:
my broda d problem is dat d structure of our education is bad.imagine parents telling you to go to school and make good grades in order to get a good job...dat is colonial education mentality.
education should prepare for life n solving problems but here we end up cramming witout d ability to solving problems.
wat we need in Nigeria is a functional education
it is a pity. look at a lady after her first degree she searched for a job when she couldn't get one she ended up being her mummy's sales girl.

the young men are not even ready to marry you because they don't also have jobs

she is planning to have her master, I wonder, how many employers today want masters degree holders when they can't pay B.sc holders.

if the structure is not right why should we be the ones suffering it. The structure itself is overacted. the problem is more of corruption and our political system.

1 Like

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by APRIDE(m): 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
I am educated and i am proud of it because it has made me a better person. Education should be seen as a culture and a necessary prerequisite for a better economic life but shouldn't be wholly relied upon for the latter. I have seen fellows set up business ventures after graduation. If an individual without a formal education can succeed in business, why can't you?
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by bookorlah(f): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2015
Don't give up! your lucky day is at the corner...
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by free37: 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2015
Jobs are just no longer available.
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by KELVIN086: 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2015
freedom96:
Chemical enginnering,civil engineering and electrical apply?If yes,Which among them do u think is more profitable?
my friend forget engineering, go for medicine,pharmacy or physiotherapy i studied elect, the health sector is the most vibrant and surest sector in todays world unlike engineers dey dont look for jobs the worst that can happen to dem if they don't find jobs is they relocate to the north and occupy the hospitals there and still earn the same health service salaries like their colleagues in other parts of the country.

if you still want engineering you can go for comp/elect(u fit into alot of industries IT,telecom,power,manufacturing e.tc)

2 Likes

Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by Obiwiz(m): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
TastyTuoyo:

A fraudster has a brighter future? what is a bright future? A fraudster can never have a bright future because sooner or later he will be behind bars but a Graduate with prayer , determination and perseverance those times of trekking in the baking weather from one interview to another will be in the past when he finally secures that job and will be driving a fully air conditioned car. So tell me who has a brighter future now?
Re: Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School by viktor01(m): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
Osisie:
School is a fucking waste of time. I swear down, once u can read, write n speak good English, u're good to go.

4 years in the university is not a ticket to success. Find ur passion and chase it early.

My friends who didn't go to school are already breaking into the music industry, while I sit daily and watch my career/talent drown. I hate school.

The other day, my friend who started a car wash was showing me his acc balance. 1.4million. Plus 3 land properties. And a Hummer bus. I almost ran mad. He's just 22. Me, dey here dey pursue degree.

Abeg, school is a fucking waste of time![/b]

[b]My dad was the best in sch. Todat, he's struggling. That man is a gifted artist. At his old age, he's just chasing his dreams. Going to stage exhibitions in his late 50s. Yet, they force us to sch. I've got passion for other things. But, sch wastes ur time, by d time u're finally out, all u can think of is gettin a job. No more abt chasing ur dream.

[b][/b]GBAM.....! i was chatting with my friend this morning and he was talking abou[b][/b]t masters, i told him that school is a very big official scam.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2017 HEINEKEN International Graduate Trainee Recruitment / Npower News Nairaland Thread / N-Power: FG To ‘Disengage’ Over 200,000 Beneficiaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.