Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,770 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (553572 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 4:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
amblessede:
PLEASE, WLD LIKE TO APPLY TO MORE THAN ONE SCH. IS IT WISE TO GET JUST ONE BANK STATEMENT AND RUN COPIES OR SHLD I MAKE SURE I GET THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF STATEMENTS FRM THE BANK. PLS, NEED ANSWER SHARPISH. TANKS HOUSE
I don't know, unfortunately.

Send the schools a mail.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ernestmm(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
First, I'd like to thank the star of this thread, @starflux. You have provided invaluable information here like we are paying for it.

I am planning to apply to Oslo school of Design and Architecture (AHO) and Bergen school of architecture, had even contacted AHO asking if they currently have Nigerians doin graduate prgrammes, unfortunately, they don't.

I'd just like to know my chances of getting admission for an M.Arch in these schools with a 2.2 and a good portfolio, and also to clarify if I'd need to show any proof of english proficiency? Thank a lot.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 6:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ernestmm: First, I'd like to thank the star of this thread, @starflux. You have provided invaluable information here like we are paying for it.

I am planning to apply to Oslo school of Design and Architecture (AHO) and Bergen school of architecture, had even contacted AHO asking if they currently have Nigerians doin graduate prgrammes, unfortunately, they don't.

I'd just like to know my chances of getting admission for an M.Arch in these schools with a 2.2 and a good portfolio, and also to clarify if I'd need to show any proof of english proficiency? Thank a lot.
Grades are usually not the most important factor when it comes to architect studies, so I would say you defitenly have a chance. On top of that, experiences from other countries are highly sought after, so you already have an edge there.

You've already completed an undergraduate degree in English, so there's no need for any further proof.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ernestmm(m): 7:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
Tanx a lot. I'd surely return with more questions.I am preparing against starting sept 2014.d application portal for both schools haven't open yet, so I am just working on my porttfolio atm.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 9:05am On Oct 29, 2013
StarFlux: Yes, a letter of confirmation.
thanks Bro, God bless u
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 9:27pm On Oct 29, 2013
Ernestmm: Tanx a lot. I'd surely return with more questions.I am preparing against starting sept 2014.d application portal for both schools haven't open yet, so I am just working on my porttfolio atm.
You're welcome smiley
Hope you make it through, and questions are always welcome.

ceechedah:
thanks Bro, God bless u

You're welcome!smiley
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ernestmm(m): 2:41am On Oct 30, 2013
starflux.. please are there any documents required before visa can be granted to Norway?
also, the N2.5 million, would I pay that after visa has been granted to me or that is a pre requisite for the visa to be granted?
to what account do I pay this money to?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ernestmm(m): 2:46am On Oct 30, 2013
sorry. I think I have gotten all the information that answers my questions. thanks a bunch. I'd still come with more tho. cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 8:37am On Oct 30, 2013
Ernestmm: starflux.. please are there any documents required before visa can be granted to Norway?
also, the N2.5 million, would I pay that after visa has been granted to me or that is a pre requisite for the visa to be granted?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by newacca: 9:29am On Oct 30, 2013
Ernestmm: starflux.. please are there any documents required before visa can be granted to Norway?
I think it's part of pre-requisite for visa.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bodeplot: 7:13pm On Oct 30, 2013
@starflux..thanks for ur reply,am applying to NTNU chem engineering and stavenger..av submitted preliminary form first waiting for real form..thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 9:36pm On Oct 30, 2013
Ernestmm: sorry. I think I have gotten all the information that answers my questions. thanks a bunch. I'd still come with more tho. cheesy
That's okay smiley Listing it here just in case.

1. Certified passport copy
2. Gained admission
3. Funds
4. Guaranteed accommodation (this is nearly always guaranteed)
5. You have to leave Norway when your visa expires

I might make a dedicated thread for this topic. There's so much information, and I tend to forget to mention a thing or two from time to time (but I assume people do their own research as well), but it would be more tidy if I made a thread with links and info.

bodeplot: @starflux..thanks for ur reply,am applying to NTNU chem engineering and stavenger..av submitted preliminary form first waiting for real form..thanks
Glad to hear that. Crossed fingers!smiley
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by newacca: 10:30pm On Oct 30, 2013
StarFlux: That's okay smiley Listing it here just in case.

2. Gained admission
3. Funds

I might make a dedicated thread for this topic. There's so much information, and I tend to forget to mention a thing or two from time to time (but I assume people do their own research as well), but it would be more tidy if I made a thread with links and info.

Thanks so much for furnishing us with vital information on this thread.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:25am On Oct 31, 2013
newacca:
Thanks so much for furnishing us with vital information on this thread.
You're very welcome.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
Star,thanks a whole lot for all your help. I tried applying to telemark university college today for masters in energy and environmental technology,but in the first step they asked for English proof and listed just 6 countries as exemption with Nigeria not in it,and I couldn't pass there. I knw in other universities proof of English is not necessary so I don't understand. Please can u look into it for me....please as soon as possible,tks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rafcrown(m): 2:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
WHAT KIND OF JOB CAN ONE QUICKLY GET IN NORWAY?
WHAT PART OF NORWAY CAN ONE QUICKLY GET JOB ?-LEGAL JOB.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
Icecold Don: Star,thanks a whole lot for all your help. I tried applying to telemark university college today for masters in energy and environmental technology,but in the first step they asked for English proof and listed just 6 countries as exemption with Nigeria not in it,and I couldn't pass there. I knw in other universities proof of English is not necessary so I don't understand. Please can u look into it for me....please as soon as possible,tks
I see now that they have extra requirements for this programme.

"For admission to Master in Environmental Science and Master in Technology ("Energy and Environmental Technology", "Process Technology" and "Systems and Control Engineering" ) there are some extra requirements for English proficiency. The requirement for English proficiency for applicants with a bachelor degree from outside the Nordic countries may be met in one of the following ways:

International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0. An IELTS test is only valid for two years. You must take the Academic test.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 for a paperbased test, a score of at least 210 for a computer-based test or minimum 80 for an internet-based test. A TOEFL test is only valid for two years.
Bachelor’s degree from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland or New Zealand with English as the language of instruction."

I would advice you to send them an e-mail, but it's still extremely strange and I have never seen anything similar. Why would they exclude other countries where English is used as the language of instruction? I will personally send them an e-mail and see what I get as an answer.
rafcrown: WHAT KIND OF JOB CAN ONE QUICKLY GET IN NORWAY?
WHAT PART OF NORWAY CAN ONE QUICKLY GET JOB ?-LEGAL JOB.
Depends on your qualifications and language skills.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by billydragon: 1:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
Choi 8.5k plenty o!
If I want to send to 3 schools that's like 25.5k.. Mahn, this journey far..
lmao!!!!!!!no b small tin ma broda!!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by uzoexcel(m): 7:56am On Nov 02, 2013
Hi starflux!!!nice work!!!why does one have to leave norway when visa expires?hw realistic are the chances of nigerians in gettn jobs there?
Also,if one is on a student visitor visa in the uk,can the person start processing his applications for m.sc to norway from the uk or does the person need to be in naija to do all this?regards!!!
StarFlux: That's okay smiley Listing it here just in case.

2. Gained admission
3. Funds

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 5:34pm On Nov 02, 2013
uzoexcel: Hi starflux!!!nice work!!!why does one have to leave norway when visa expires?hw realistic are the chances of nigerians in gettn jobs there?
Also,if one is on a student visitor visa in the uk,can the person start processing his applications for m.sc to norway from the uk or does the person need to be in naija to do all this?regards!!!
Thanks!

Because a student visa is not a permanent residence permit, it's temporary. The chances are pretty good if you bother to learn the language and finish with a decent result (a more advanced type of job). For just working in grocery stores and so on, you have good chances from the beginning. You can also apply for a 6 month visa renewal after your studies to apply for jobs.

As for your other question.
"If you are outside Norway you hand in your application at a Norwegian embassy or consulate in your home country or the country where you have held a residence permit for the last six months. In some countries you will hand in the application at the Swedish or Danish embassy instead"
http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Studies/How-do-I-apply-for-a-residence-permit-for-students/

So if you've been there for 6+ months, then you can, otherwise it needs to be done in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by newacca: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2013
StarFlux: Thanks!

Because a student visa is not a permanent residence permit, it's temporary. The chances are pretty good if you bother to learn the language and finish with a decent result (a more advanced type of job). For just working in grocery stores and so on, you have good chances from the beginning. You can also apply for a 6 month visa renewal after your studies to apply for jobs.

As for your other question.
"If you are outside Norway you hand in your application at a Norwegian embassy or consulate in your home country or the country where you have held a residence permit for the last six months. In some countries you will hand in the application at the Swedish or Danish embassy instead"
http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Studies/How-do-I-apply-for-a-residence-permit-for-students/

So if you've been there for 6+ months, then you can, otherwise it needs to be done in Nigeria.
Do I stand a chance getting visa for undergraduate prog. at age above 30?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 1:07am On Nov 03, 2013
newacca:
Do I stand a chance getting visa for undergraduate prog. at age above 30?
Yes. It's not uncommon for people even in their 40s to be studying. Age is irrelevant.

The only problem with undergraduate programmes is that most of them are in Norwegian, but that's not a problem if you apply for a school that offers the 1-year course for you to qualify.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by newacca: 7:10am On Nov 03, 2013
StarFlux: Yes. It's not uncommon for people even in their 40s to be studying. Age is irrelevant.

The only problem with undergraduate programmes is that most of them are in Norwegian, but that's not a problem if you apply for a school that offers the 1-year course for you to qualify.
Thx a million. Grazie. smiley
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 5:49pm On Nov 04, 2013
@Icecold Don

I got the reply today. They said that they have this additional requirement to ensure that your English skills are sufficient. They don't have the capacity to evaluate each and every applicant since they have a lot of applicants.

It's unfortunate news that I was not aware of.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 9:41am On Nov 05, 2013
@starfkux,tks so much man,u are a life saver. so that means I must write TOEFL, man this is bad and I will have to wait for the result before applying. Thanks but I don't know is that will be possible, are there schools offering similar courses that you are aware of.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by kamuigaiden: 10:33am On Nov 05, 2013
@starflux I must say that you are indeed a blessing to us looking for information about studying in norway and God will continue to bleSs you.
Well I am a prospective student for the university of bergen and I have been reading your post on this thread since 2009 I intend to study in norway @ UIB please if there is any1 on this thread too for the same purpose,uib especially please I would like us to chat as this can bring about a motivational factor becoz rite now am having doubts because of the kind of information I have been reading thanks add ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ -32301fbf
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2013
Please btw uis and uio which one is better in terms of job prospects for a geoscientist?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 1:27am On Nov 06, 2013
Icecold Don: @starfkux,tks so much man,u are a life saver. so that means I must write TOEFL, man this is bad and I will have to wait for the result before applying. Thanks but I don't know is that will be possible, are there schools offering similar courses that you are aware of.
You're welcome, and sorry for the unfortunate news.

I'll have a look at other alternative programmes.
kamui gaiden: @starflux I must say that you are indeed a blessing to us looking for information about studying in norway and God will continue to bleSs you.
Well I am a prospective student for the university of bergen and I have been reading your post on this thread since 2009 I intend to study in norway @ UIB please if there is any1 on this thread too for the same purpose,uib especially please I would like us to chat as this can bring about a motivational factor becoz rite now am having doubts because of the kind of information I have been reading thanks add ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ -32301fbf
Thank you so much!smiley

If you'd like to share what information you're referring to, feel free to do so, might be able to give a more clear answer.

chunaph: Please btw uis and uio which one is better in terms of job prospects for a geoscientist?
I'm going to say that you're on a fairly equal footing with either one.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
StarFlux: You're welcome, and sorry for the unfortunate news.

I'll have a look at other alternative programmes.
Thank you so much!smiley

If you'd like to share what information you're referring to, feel free to do so, might be able to give a more clear answer.

I'm going to say that you're on a fairly equal footing with either one.

Thanks for reply bro!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2013
@starflux, still expecting your reply on alternative schools n programmes,boss....tks

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.