Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83929 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by doyin13(m): 7:27pm On Jan 16, 2011
Hard to know what Due Date was exactly. As a comedy it wasn't funny. Thriller, it wasn't edge of your seat at all.

Just a so so film. Only did well at the box office because of Tina Fey I think.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:53pm On Jan 16, 2011
doyin13:

Hard to know what Due Date was exactly. As a comedy it wasn't funny. Thriller, it wasn't edge of your seat at all.

Just a so so film. Only did well at the box office because of Tina Fey I think.

@doyin13
Tina Fey was not in "Due Date". I think you're referring to "Date Night".
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:41pm On Jan 16, 2011
Yeah, easy enough mistake. Date Night is similar but better than Knight and Day IMHOFHTETC.
Re: The Movie Club by doyin13(m): 10:09pm On Jan 16, 2011
Oooooopsie Daisies. . . .

My bad. . . .I guess I musta been itching to slag Date night for ages grin grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2011
vescucci:

Yeah, easy enough mistake. Date Night is similar but better than Knight and Day IMHOFHTETC.
Na wa oh. Which one be this again? lol.

Alright people. We're reviewing 300 (sorry kaethar).

JK, with your malaysian keyboard, can you please change the thread title and do your thing with the movie poster and synopsis? gracias.
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 9:30am On Jan 18, 2011
How many months pregnant was Nat. Portman when she began work on Black Swan shocked

I'm still waiting for Obinna's review of this year's Golden Globe Awards though cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:36pm On Jan 18, 2011
Movie on review: 300
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:44pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder
Starring: Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, David Wenham, Rodrigo Santoro.

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 7:55pm On Jan 18, 2011
@v3
Natalie Portman deserved her win at the Golden Globes. She played the role of a mentally disturbed ballet dancer so well.  shocked I'm predicting she'll also win at the BAFTA and Oscar awards this year.
Happy that "The Social Network" and "The Kids Are All Right" won awards as well.
Nothing for Inception at the Golden Globes.  undecided

@topic
I'll be reviewing as soon as possible.

justkunmi:

300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.

@JK
"300" came out in 2007 and not 2006. Please correct. wink
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
justkunmi:

300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.

@justkunmi
You still put 2006. undecided
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:20pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2011
300 (2006)

Directed by Zach Snyder

Your reviews next.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
@justkunmi
Make spambot no ban u for posting the same comment multiple times. cheesy

"300" was released on March 9 2007.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=300.htm
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:57pm On Jan 18, 2011
Obinna. Do you watch the series, Monk?
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 10:03pm On Jan 19, 2011
Reviewing this after watching it so long ago my overriding feeling is that the movie was a triumph of style over substance.

The film had some great choreographed battles with lots of gore on show.

Slow mo was used very well.

In terms of acting I really did not think it delivered much apart from Gerard Butler shouting Sparta all the way in Jennifer Aniston's pants.

My main gripe I had from when I watched it first time, was the fact that after showing such great battle skills and tactics, the final fight in which they lost did not show any of that previously portrayed battle acumen.

They just seemed to die like right muppets.

I enjoyed it for what it was and hence it gets a 6/10
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On Jan 20, 2011

I watched this flick at the movies with a group of about 10 friends . . . so it was 10times the fun. Viera makes a great point up there ^ that the movie is more of style over substance . . . I can see why he'd say so . . .  but men, there are some cases where no substance is necessary to make it a great movie, the style and swagger was just that dope  cool

300 is the story of King Leonidas who (against the counsel of the oracle) leads 300 of his bravest men into battle against over a million Persians and their king Xerxes. The movie is shot using a chroma-key type of technique and is narrated with a voice-over from the only Spartan soldier of the 300 who survives.

This movie I don't think was intended to be an accurate historical recount of true events, so folks beefing over that need to chill . . . this was pure fantasy. The battle scenes were awesome, well delivered with an intensity enough to make the toughest marine blush, the portryal of a larger-than-life king by Gerard Butler I thought was simply electric - and his devoted wife Queen Gorgo was just spot on, if sexy married fire, she would be it. Honestly, I found no flaws in the cast and loved how well they each played their characters - from the mad friends competing to see who could kill more, to Xerxes' terrifying presence, to the Council back in Sparta. One of the movie's strong points I think is the dialogue. So many memorable quotes, and so so poetic, for me it was delicious ear candy.

My fav part of the movie, when King Leonidas, upset after the Persian messenger threatens sparta and insults his wife (common now, which woman will not find that appealing? grin) kicks the persian into the well while screaming "THIS IS SPARTA!!!"  grin how can anyone resist that? lol. And then when they meet up with the Arcadians, Leonidas asks "Spartans! what is your profession?" to which they all reply in unison bass enough to wake the gods from their deepest slumber "HAROO!!!" lol.

As a side comical note, were ancient Spartans really all that ripped?  shocked the assault of the (chroma image adjusted) six-pack abs was deliciously nauseating - if there ever was such a thing. Even the old men in the council and the women were all ripped. Dem. If you lack self-confidence 300 is not the movie for you to watch. lol.

Overall, 300 is a fantastic movie, unusual cinematic style, with a well-told story that is well delivered by the cast. I can watch it 300 times without getting bored. I rate 95%, anybody wey wan vex I got one word for you . . . HAROOO!!!!  grin
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 5:13pm On Jan 20, 2011
Chei, JeSoul haff finish work pata pata grin

So where do i start. .
Story of hot-headed King Leonidas (Gerald Butler) who against the advise of the gods, goes to war with against King Xerxes. I remember seeing the ad on STV and damn, I was REALLY desperate to see the movie.

Wave upon wave of King Xerxes soldiers kept coming at em, but the 'Actor no dey die' thing didn't work this time. The fight scenes were very well choreographed and intense, at some point i grabbed a stick and plate(as shield) and tried to sync with their moves grin .If this movie gets a 3D remake, i'll definitely get a copy.

I won't even talk about their bodies as that's for the ladies cheesy

I'll give the movie a 70
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 8:17pm On Jan 20, 2011
v3:

Chei, JeSoul haff finish work pata pata grin
Of course now, na me suggest movie, I berra stand up to it smiley

So where do i start. .
Story of hot-headed King Leonidas (Gerald Butler) who against the advise of the gods, goes to war with against King Xerxes. I remember seeing the ad on STV and damn, I was REALLY desperate to see the movie.

Wave upon wave of King Xerxes soldiers kept coming at em, but the 'Actor no dey die' thing didn't work this time. The fight scenes were very well choreographed and intense, at some point i grabbed a stick and plate(as shield) and tried to sync with their moves grin .If this movie gets a 3D remake, i'll definitely get a copy.
LOL . . . so this is what you do when you're at home ehn grin who was the opponent? your unarmed TV? or the furniture? or a poor family member? lol.

I won't even talk about their bodies as that's for the ladies cheesy

Ahh . . . not only for the ladies oh. Guys can also learn a thing or two grin

I'll give the movie a 70
Only a 70? which other movie has been able to make a whole V3 pick up household utensils, pose like a spartan warrior, and throw jabs into the air as if fighting an enemy? That's right, no other movie has been able to evoke such a response. So fix that rating dude, or else . . . HAROO!!!!
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2011
JeSoul
You haff killed me grin
Na my desktop suffered some of the bashing sad

I will not accept bribe to add ANYTHING to my rating. THIS IS NAIJA!!!!! *kicks table*
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 10:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
v3:

JeSoul
You haff killed me grin
Na my desktop suffered some of the bashing sad

I will not accept bribe to add ANYTHING to my rating. THIS IS NAIJA!!!!! *kicks table*

ROTFLOL . . . .  grin  grin  grin LOL . . . no dude, you have killed me lol. Mehn, imagine a naija-version youtube spoof of that scene cheesy . . .

I hope your desktop was high quality and survived the unjust beating after years of faithful service, and not like JK who bought his from malaysia  grin
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 10:18pm On Jan 20, 2011
lol@ This is Naija!!

I must use this.

By the way the film was an adaptation of a comic book written by Frank Miller comic writer of Sin City and the Dark Knight graphic Novels.

His comic was a fictional take on true events.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:19am On Jan 21, 2011
Vesc, I've been meaning to ask Obinna the same question since!

@topic
The girls loved the killer abs of Leonaidas, The boys loved the killer graphics of the movie. That wraps it up neatly. Nice movie! smiley
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 9:39am On Jan 21, 2011
@JS
Still can't get enough Fringe eh? wink

@JK
Oga drop your rating nau. . Obi y Vesc no review? undecided

If you missed 'THIS IS SPARTAA!!!  angry ,followed by the slow-mo kick', then it's obvious you haven't seen the movie at all. . The scene alone is worth watching over and over again.grin grin
Has anyone seen 'Meet the Spartans'? Chei  grin grin grin #LaffWanTearMyBelle
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:14am On Jan 21, 2011
300. It must be one of the coolest film titles ever. Up there with Mercury Rising and E.T. Frank Miller really sealed his rep with this (The Spirit didn't help though) but that boy Zack Snyder catapulted himself into my favorites list. Gerard Butler I've had a soft spot for ever since even though he's nearly stopped my heart with yeye films, I just think of 300 and we're all good.

As JeSoul said, the This is Sparta scream/shout/holler is awesome and should be in an encyclopedia to mark the beginning of 21st century film, like the 'Here's to looking at you, kid' quote for the last century. Unfortunately, I cannot enjoy a film I still have memories of. I'll watch it again when I've forgotten more than half of it.

The fight scenes were beautifully choreographed. So much grace in killing someone else. It was like ballet for hunks. Personally I think slow mo can make taking a dump seem cool but the way it was used in 300 was ingenious. Stop, start, fastforward, slowed down. Genius.

I'm surprised anyone would think 300 was historical. Isn't that a laugh. Haba. Even holy books don't have that kinda fable. 300 was a success in many ways cuz I've seen girls who say in a thin monotone 'I don't like violent movies' and then get their freak on and let escape small battle cries upon seeing 300. Though I cannot totally be sure that they're not just pretending and looking at abs instead. The only 'flaw' is that the film isn't very deep like say The Gladiator and if it was a book, it'd have little meaning. But 300 didn't pretend to be deep or all that meaningful. It was what it was and I bought it wholesale. 90%. And HAROO!!!
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 12:47pm On Jan 21, 2011
"300" was one of the films that captivated me in 2007.
Filled with stunning visuals, stylizied violence and memorable quotes, "300" will be remembered as the film that shot the careers of Gerard Butler and Zack Snyder to new heights.

I'll give "300" an 87% rating.
Re: The Movie Club by pkasso(m): 3:48pm On Jan 22, 2011
I am not really a big fan of war movies but this movie caught my attention .Quintessential example of patriotism,courage and bravery bringing down the Persian Empire on its knees.Gerard Butler was absolutely fantastic as Leonidas so i say this is Sparta !!. cool
Re: The Movie Club by sweetguy10(m): 1:08am On Jan 23, 2011
JeSoul:

I watched this flick at the movies with a group of about 10 friends . . . so it was 10times the fun. Viera makes a great point up there ^ that the movie is more of style over substance . . . I can see why he'd say so . . .  but men, there are some cases where no substance is necessary to make it a great movie, the style and swagger was just that dope  cool

300 is the story of King Leonidas who (against the counsel of the oracle) leads 300 of his bravest men into battle against over a million Persians and their king Xerxes. The movie is shot using a chroma-key type of technique and is narrated with a voice-over from the only Spartan soldier of the 300 who survives.

This movie I don't think was intended to be an accurate historical recount of true events, so folks beefing over that need to chill . . . this was pure fantasy. The battle scenes were awesome, well delivered with an intensity enough to make the toughest marine blush, the portryal of a larger-than-life king by Gerard Butler I thought was simply electric - and his devoted wife Queen Gorgo was just spot on, if sexy married fire, she would be it. Honestly, I found no flaws in the cast and loved how well they each played their characters - from the mad friends competing to see who could kill more, to Xerxes' terrifying presence, to the Council back in Sparta. One of the movie's strong points I think is the dialogue. So many memorable quotes, and so so poetic, for me it was delicious ear candy.

My fav part of the movie, when King Leonidas, upset after the Persian messenger threatens sparta and insults his wife (common now, which woman will not find that appealing? grin) kicks the persian into the well while screaming "THIS IS SPARTA!!!"  grin how can anyone resist that? lol. And then when they meet up with the Arcadians, Leonidas asks "Spartans! what is your profession?" to which they all reply in unison bass enough to wake the gods from their deepest slumber "HAROO!!!" lol.

As a side comical note, were ancient Spartans really all that ripped?  shocked the assault of the (chroma image adjusted) six-pack abs was deliciously nauseating - if there ever was such a thing. Even the old men in the council and the women were all ripped. Dem. If you lack self-confidence 300 is not the movie for you to watch. lol.

Overall, 300 is a fantastic movie, unusual cinematic style, with a well-told story that is well delivered by the cast. I can watch it 300 times without getting bored. I rate 95%, anybody wey wan vex I got one word for you . . . HAROOO!!!!  grin

I Understand the comical note in the bolded statement above but honestly the Spartans have a reputation for being Muscled , brave . Even the smallest of their men keep to fit hence the 6 packs etc . Even me gan self could not get my eyes off those packs , wished it was me though. embarassed

vescucci:

300. It must be one of the coolest film titles ever. Up there with Mercury Rising and E.T. Frank Miller really sealed his rep with this (The Spirit didn't help though) but that boy Zack Snyder catapulted himself into my favorites list. Gerard Butler I've had a soft spot for ever since even though he's nearly stopped my heart with yeye films, I just think of 300 and we're all good.

As JeSoul said, the This is Sparta scream/shout/holler is awesome and should be in an encyclopedia to mark the beginning of 21st century film, like the 'Here's to looking at you, kid' quote for the last century. Unfortunately, I cannot enjoy a film I still have memories of. I'll watch it again when I've forgotten more than half of it.

The fight scenes were beautifully choreographed. So much grace in killing someone else. It was like ballet for hunks. Personally I think slow mo can make taking a dump seem cool but the way it was used in 300 was ingenious. Stop, start, fastforward, slowed down. Genius.

I'm surprised anyone would think 300 was historical. Isn't that a laugh. Haba. Even holy books don't have that kinda fable. 300 was a success in many ways cuz I've seen girls who say in a thin monotone 'I don't like violent movies' and then get their freak on and let escape small battle cries upon seeing 300. Though I cannot totally be sure that they're not just pretending and looking at abs instead. The only 'flaw' is that the film isn't very deep like say The Gladiator and if it was a book, it'd have little meaning. But 300 didn't pretend to be deep or all that meaningful. It was what it was and I bought it wholesale. 90%. And HAROO!!!

Yes it is and completely historical . Google the battle of thermophylae you'll see what I am talking about . The 300 men he took with him are his personal trained men this does not imply that Sparta did not have their own army , remember the only guy that survived went back and bring the rest army and not only the Spartan army fought them , they were supported by the Greeks( the Greeks were awed by the bravery of king leonidas and his 300 guys , this made them threw the regards they had for the persian army to God knows where ) . Even the site of the battle still exist till today and it has thousands of tourist going there to see the place where Slavery , tyranny was challenged by 300 brave Spartans .

The movie is a complete classic , the ever resounding voice of that Burtler guy " Spartans what's your profession , WAR , WAR , WAR " in fact I had that place recorded and it's been on replay on my ipod ever since .
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:50am On Jan 23, 2011
300 broke boundaries in so many forms. I don't think any other movie has used the green screen to this much height. I saw the making of the movie and only about 25 men acted out the 300-man army.

And yeah, I love Xerxes! smiley one of my best villians yet. He's up there with 'the Joker' in Dark Knight and Javier Bardem's character in 'No Country For Old Men'.

Gererd Butler sealed his A-list status with this performance.
And on a similar note, you guys should see 'Meet the Spartans' lol.

I'll rate this movie 95%.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 12:22pm On Jan 23, 2011
justkunmi:

And on a similar note, you guys should see 'Meet the Spartans' lol.

@JK
"Meet the Spartans" was rubbish. grin tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (96) (Reply)

Tboss Bares Her Boobs As Kemen Rinses Her Body After A Dark Bath At BBNaija / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / Photo Of Thin Tall Tony And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.