Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,355 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83877 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by Kunbee: 12:33am On Feb 01, 2011
People that read the book are the only ones i know who understand shutterisland undecided
Re: The Movie Club by KazeKage1: 7:11am On Feb 01, 2011
Kunbee:

People that read the book are the only ones i know who understand shutterisland undecided
Not really wink
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 8:00am On Feb 01, 2011
Kunbee:

It is not that hard.

Are you sure you did not leave the room for 5 minutes?

1. Dicaprio had a breakdown when his wife killed their children and he killed her for doing that

2. In the hospital they had kept trying to cure him but each time he realises the truth he retreats back into madness

3. They were now making a last attempt to cure him as he had hurt people in the past in his insanity

4. In his insane world he thought he was an investigator, trying to find a missing prisoner. The doctors were trying to use his own fantasy to get him to come to the truth himself.

5. Once again he did realise the truth.

6. The doctors said this is the last attempt to cure him or else for the safety of other inmates they would have to cut his brain.

7. The last bit is him deciding he does not want to live with the thought of what he did and what happened to his kids, so he acts liked he is not cured, so that they will lobomotize him.

I watched this a few months ago, so I cannot remember exact details anymore.
Re: The Movie Club by lalaboi(m): 9:34am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^

It was easy to understand for you cos like i said, ppl make up their own theories and some bliv in them.

Are u saying they took him out of the facility and bring him back to through a boat without him realising he was being tested? Did dey hypnotise him or what? or was he drugged?

Even someone is mad. . .or insane, there is nor flippn way you are going to return to a place and not remember what you have done 3 times before this last one(according to the movie), . . . If they wanted to really cure him, they wouldn't make him believe he was right all along. . . And at the end he said something to his partner about "living as a monster, or die as a good man". . So the guy's insanity now means he'll die a goo man even if he had realised in the end that he was made. . , .

Rubbish movie!
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:02am On Feb 01, 2011
Ah, you have forced my hand, Lalaboi.

Shutter Island. First of all, it's got a cool title. Now there're more complaints about the intricacies of the film. Na wa o. For me, a film that can confuse me is a good thing but no film has succeeded yet. Fight Club, Memento, The Hours and Inception came close. Even the yeye Max Payne is more confusing than Shutter Island. Vieira has broken it down na. The majority of the film is the unreal reality of the mind of a schizophrenic. The story had to be told that way to make it all seem interesting. If you were just watching a mad dude staring into space and hearing voices and speaking to people who aren't there, then that'd be really sucky. What happened was Leo's mind constructed an elaborate and fabulous and quite beautiful scenario so he wouldn't have to deal with his reality. His fantasy (in comparison to the truth) is actually a nightmare and he has to compensate for things like why he's on the island at all and tid bits from his past life vis a vis his occupation. The reason why the reality is not in so much of a stark contrast to his fantasy is because the doctors are now familiar with his fantasies (for he relapses again and again once the truth dawns on him) and often play along as long as he is not violent to others or himself. I dunno if all that makes sense. Most of the things in the film never happened. The mind is a truly wonderful thing. I'd rather be insane than stupid.

Now I have used all my time explaining the movie instead of reviewing it. Awesome riveting performance from Leo. Excellent work from Scorsese who I didn't know had it in him. The story couldn't be better men. Frankly I can't think of anything wrong with the film. Cinematography was excellent too. Excellent. 95%
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:27am On Feb 01, 2011
@Sweetguy. . embarassed grin

@almost anagram for jealous
today is the tomorrow you said yesterday.  undecided . .so waiting for your review

@vescucci. .
Fight club almost confused you? Thats strange oh.
You seen 12 monkeys? Now thats a movie i'm yet to understand. and i've seen it 3 times.
i think you and i shld compare notes. . movies that got us confused. grin

@topic
i'll say this about the movie though, as terrible as people might think it is, i think it won in an aspect. Scorsese gave us the opportunity to decided for ourselves whether the dude was crazy or not. we are to decide for ourselves whats real and whats not. . So many people who think they understand it are the ones who have decided for themselves that they do. . . Its a bit as confusing as 12 monkeys but Bruce Willis is the king of 'sick'. .

now i av questions for those who decided to understand the movie. . tongue

1. Who was the lady he went to see up in the cave? and did he make her up or was she real?
2. He said something at the very last scene of the movie that suggested he was sane. . . then he stood up and walked away. . Does that mean he became sane?

As far as thrillers go. .this is a beautiful movie.
Scorsese is genius. DiCaprio was beautiful. and Sir Ben Kingsley. . .That guy scares me mehn. .his bald head is enough to make you love and fear him all at once.

80% from me.
Re: The Movie Club by doyin13(m): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2011
I didn't find the movie confusing. Some plot holes as one might expect in such a movie but I pretty much got the whole point.

And I quite enjoyed it because unlike other movies of its ilk, you never got the impression it was trying to be too clever, at least till the end. Unlike say a Memento, where the raison d'etre of the movie was essentially the director's ability to manipulate structure and tell you ''ain't I a clever chappie''.
Re: The Movie Club by sweetguy10(m): 12:16pm On Feb 01, 2011
justkunmi:

@Sweetguy. . embarassed grin

today is the tomorrow you said yesterday.  undecided . .so waiting for your review

@vescucci. .
Fight club almost confused you? Thats strange oh.
You seen 12 monkeys? Now thats a movie i'm yet to understand. and i've seen it 3 times.
i think you and i shld compare notes. . movies that got us confused. grin

@topic
i'll say this about the movie though, as terrible as people might think it is, i think it won in an aspect. Scorsese gave us the opportunity to decided for ourselves whether the dude was crazy or not. we are to decide for ourselves whats real and whats not. . So many people who think they understand it are the ones who have decided for themselves that they do. . . Its a bit as confusing as 12 monkeys but Bruce Willis is the king of 'sick'. .

now i av questions for those who decided to understand the movie. . tongue

1. Who was the lady he went to see up in the cave? and did he make her up or was she real?
2. He said something at the very last scene of the movie that suggested he was sane. . . then he stood up and walked away. . Does that mean he became sane?

As far as thrillers go. .this is a beautiful movie.
Scorsese is genius. DiCaprio was beautiful. and Sir Ben Kingsley. . .That guy scares me mehn. .his bald head is enough to make you love and fear him all at once.

80% from me.

These two questions is what I kept asking and some more , WHO IS THAT LUNATIC HE WENT TO MEET IN THE OTHER BUILDING ? they did not show the lunatic's face but his voice kept sending chills (cold one) down my spine . WHY ARE THE OTHER INMATES TELLING HIM TO RUN FOR HIS DEAR LIFE ? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO PUT HIM BACK ON A BOAT so he can come back to the island ? is that another way of treating him ? Why did SIR BEN KINGSLEY looks like he is the culprit and the insane one in the movie ? TO ME EVERYBODY IN THE MOVIE ARE ALL CRAZY , EVEN THE DOCTORS and someone should answer this question , WHO IS THE ANTAGONIST( BOSS grin) and WHO IS THE PROTAGONIST (ACTOR grin)
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
lmao at boss and actor. . cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 1:20pm On Feb 01, 2011
Would i call it an 'Inception' rip-off? Not really

Most movies made from books have not really been good on-screen. . I'll add this to that list of adaptations that sucked. Why pay cash to watch a movie that'll leave so many holes in its plot?
A mad man gets mad when they tell him he's mad?

Make i stop here. No ratings for this movie cause i won't rate what i've yet to understand.
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 2:24pm On Feb 01, 2011
justkunmi:

Without rewatching it I remember her being a figment of his imagination. She was one of the extra prisoners he made up. Remember he kept on saying there are 4 missing prisoners.

In the end he was sane and remembered what he did but decided he could not live with it and he would rather be lobomitized. Hence he pretended to be uncured and is now going to have his brain operated on to permamnetly damage him.

"living as a monster, or die as a good man" that means he rather die thinking he was a good man than live with the horrible truth of what happened and what he did.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 2:33pm On Feb 01, 2011
Mini me, et tu?

Maybe I'll go watch this movie again and try my hardest to get flummoxed. JeSoul will soon come and nail my coffin with a railroad pike.

Sweetguy, everything is a fable in his mind. The mind is capable of concocting the weirdest stuff. I often get awesome ideas from my dreams. I know tons of normal people who're actually crazy people when it comes to a subject. You have to be a tad crazy to be religious. Etc. Everything, the woman, the conspiracies, the piece of paper, the cigarette druggings, everything is a concoction or a rewrite of the truth. Schizophrenia is a beautiful thing if it's not violent. I saw some paintings by one dude. The madder he got, the more intricate and beautiful and exquisite his paintings became. And to answer your question: the actor and boss are both one person. Guess who that is.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 2:54pm On Feb 01, 2011
Good Idea JK. We could certainly compare notes.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 4:51pm On Feb 01, 2011
Thank you my good friend. How's Tom, Dic.k and Harry?
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:38pm On Feb 01, 2011
justkunmi:

Lol . . . it is only 10am for some of us jor. And some of us had to spend a good chunk of the am digging our cars out of 2 feet of snow in sub-zero weather while you sit in tropical 90's with ocean breeze typing your review  angry  grin  and then some of us spent another hour commuting what typically takes 10mins, while fighting mothernature, blizzard conditions with barely 20-feet visibility and other clueless drivers who still don't understand that they will get stuck on the road with small cars that cannot handle the snow covered roads . . . okay, I'm done venting. For now  cheesy

Meanwhile, I like the discussion going on now. You guys have really broken it down to the ground.
Sweetguy, Vesc is right on point in his last post . . . the cave, the woman, the prisoner etc etc . . . are all hallucinations and hallucinations don't make sense most of the time . . . so imagine trying to make sense of the hallucinations of someone else lol.

@topic,
Shutter Island was a let-down for me mostly because I went in with very high expectations. Hmm . . . not to sound like smarty-pants but I honestly figured out he was the one who was crazy about halfway through the movie and so the rest of the flick was just waiting to see how he went nuts. Almost every scene seemed set up like a dream, like a hallucination so much so the logical conclusion was that Caprio was the loon.

One problem (or praise?) with SI (as JK/Lalaboi pointed out) is that parts of it are open to interpretation. You may 'understand/not understand' it if you choose/don't choose to draw conclusions about certain scenes. What does it matter self? the guy is crazy. He killed his wife because she killed their children. And he hallucinated his way to an alternate reality that shielded him from what he'd done/suffered. That's all we needed to know jor. On the last scene I also think he was 'cured' but chose to pretend he was still crazy because he didn't want to live with the reality. The spaced-out, curious, 'seeking' look that seemed to have been in his eyes the whole movie appeared gone, resolved. But that's just my impression. Overall, the delivery by the cast was spectacular. I cannot fault the cinematography either. The visuals were 'bone-marrow' (with props to Sweetguy) shattering lol. There was plenty to appeal to the visual and auditory senses.

. . . ^all that being said. I didn't really enjoy Shutter Island. I expected a delicious psuedo-thriller complete with detectiv-ish-like drama. Instead we got someone elses' hallucinations. If I need hallucinations to watch I can watch my own, I have plenty. Okay I'm being difficult - every movie is someone elses' hallucinations . . . but I didn't enjoy this particular one. Besides, this kind of plot that ends up revealing the protagonist is really the antagonist (hello 6th Sense, The Others etc) is nothing new.
Still, I rate Shutter Island 82.54321%. I somehow feel it is better than what I feel it is . . . my hallucination perhaps.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:42pm On Feb 01, 2011
. . . and did someone mention Memento? the most useless, stoopidest, pointless, shapeless 2hrs of film ever produced? There are only 3 movies I truly regret ever watching . . . memento is #2. *insert hiss here* Time I can never get back angry

JK, you're still stuck on 12 monkeys? lol.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
And at this:
sweetguy10:

These two questions is what I kept asking and some more , WHO IS THAT LUNATIC HE WENT TO MEET IN THE OTHER BUILDING ? they did not show the lunatic's face but his voice kept sending chills (cold one) down my spine . WHY ARE THE OTHER INMATES TELLING HIM TO RUN FOR HIS DEAR LIFE ? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO PUT HIM BACK ON A BOAT so he can come back to the island ? is that another way of treating him ? Why did SIR BEN KINGSLEY looks like he is the culprit and the insane one in the movie ? [size=13pt]TO ME EVERYBODY IN THE MOVIE ARE ALL CRAZY[/size] , EVEN THE DOCTORS and someone should answer this question , WHO IS THE ANTAGONIST( BOSS grin) and WHO IS THE PROTAGONIST (ACTOR grin)
Sweetguy, I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head, shoulders, arms and legs grin
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 6:01pm On Feb 01, 2011
JK, oya wrap this binsh up abeg angry
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 6:02pm On Feb 01, 2011
I remember suggesting SHUTTER ISLAND sometime last year but it wasn't picked.
But anyway, here's my review.
Shutter Island is a good film no doubt but I won't say it's my favorite Scorsese-DiCaprio movie. The story is a bit technical and some people may find it hard to relate with. Considering that it's based on a novel, the story was not bad.
The acting was great as well. Excellent performance from DiCaprio, B. Kingsley, M. Ruffalo and M. Von Sydow.
Martin Scorsese has a way of directing films which tends to give them this melodramatic atmosphere. I'll say he did his best in trying to interprete the movie's technical story.
Shutter Island may have been snubbed this award season, but it's still a good thriller to watch.
I enjoyed it more than that weak Case 39 of a film.

I'll give it an 86% rating.
Re: The Movie Club by Kunbee: 11:59pm On Feb 01, 2011
Vieira:

It is not that hard.

Are you sure you did not leave the room for 5 minutes?

1. Dicaprio had a breakdown when his wife killed their children and he killed her for doing that

2. In the hospital they had kept trying to cure him but each time he realises the truth he retreats back into madness

3. They were now making a last attempt to cure him as he had hurt people in the past in his insanity

4. In his insane world he thought he was an investigator, trying to find a missing prisoner. The doctors were trying to use his own fantasy to get him to come to the truth himself.

5. Once again he did realise the truth.

6. The doctors said this is the last attempt to cure him or else for the safety of other inmates they would have to cut his brain.

7. The last bit is him deciding he does not want to live with the thought of what he did and what happened to his kids, so he acts liked he is not cured, so that they will lobomotize him.

I watched this a few months ago, so I cannot remember exact details anymore.

Rofl, i just understood it now sef hehehe thanks cheesy

Any movie that makes me think and question my iq, i avoid it because by the end i feel dumb

I avoid all Leonardo movies, inception was the worst. I watched it with subtitles and all, till now i do not understand it and i have watched it 4 times. Mschew

And i don't buy the idea of turning books into movies, because they don't capture it all

lalaboi:

^^^^

It was easy to understand for you cos like i said, ppl make up their own theories and some bliv in them.

Are u saying they took him out of the facility and bring him back to through a boat without him realising he was being tested? Did dey hypnotise him or what? or was he drugged?

Even someone is mad. . .or insane, there is nor flippn way you are going to return to a place and not remember what you have done 3 times before this last one(according to the movie), . . . If they wanted to really cure him, they wouldn't make him believe he was right all along. . . And at the end he said something to his partner about "living as a monster, or die as a good man". . So the guy's insanity now means he'll die a goo man even if he had realised in the end that he was made. . , .

Rubbish movie!

I agree with you 100%

As sweetguy said everybody in the film is mad jor
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 12:16am On Feb 02, 2011
You people that watch films twice, thrice, FOUR times, how do you do it?
Re: The Movie Club by Kunbee: 12:29am On Feb 02, 2011
I give myself a talk about how i must understand it the next time or else i will feel dumber than the last time undecided

I watch movies again when i don't understand them, i don't know about anybody else o

I imagine when next i watch shutter island, i will have a better understanding cos of Vieira has explained it
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 1:10am On Feb 02, 2011
JeSoul:

. . . and did someone mention Memento? the most useless, stoopidest, pointless, shapeless 2hrs of film ever produced? There are only 3 movies I truly regret ever watching . . . memento is #2. *insert hiss here* Time I can never get back angry

JK, you're still stuck on 12 monkeys? lol.

Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder o!

Memento is my all time favourite movie and see how Jesoul has just used her keyboard to diss it?

Memento is flawless!
Re: The Movie Club by sweetguy10(m): 1:13am On Feb 02, 2011
Thanks all , i so much appreciate everybody's effort in breaking the various difficult tentacles of the movie . Now I'll go re-watch and i think it'll be a lot easier to understand this time around . Thanks all , na una get mouth pass kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Movie Club by doyin13(m): 2:42am On Feb 02, 2011
I must have a thing against Chris Nolan. I just started watching Inception and goodness. IT IS BORING. KMT!!!!! Doubt i will ever bother to finish it.

I guess its just me sha. . . .I found Dark Knight boring too.
Re: The Movie Club by Kunbee: 2:56am On Feb 02, 2011
Its not that bad jare, finish it

Even though i dont understand it undecided
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 5:57am On Feb 02, 2011
vescucci n viera. U guys are in one word: brilliant!
Na wa 4 people o. Imagine inception n dark knight boring, haba. If dark knight was boring then i guessed u've never been able to watch other batman movies. Capisce
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 9:04am On Feb 02, 2011
@doyin13
We're reviewing SHUTTER ISLAND at the moment and not INCEPTION or THE DARK KNIGHT. cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 12:16pm On Feb 02, 2011
Jesus, Obi!

Doyin. One, two, three strikes. Even as Nolan is English you still no like am.

Who's the shawarma mimicking JK?
Re: The Movie Club by doyin13(m): 3:40pm On Feb 02, 2011
I preferred the Tim Burton Batmen cause they never took themselves seriously. . .Any allusions to seriousness or some profoundness in a film where the protagonist wears a cape and has 300 like abs once he dons a suit are ridiculous. The Bale batman needs to lighten up a bit and more. Plus the Dark Knight film was bloody long. Like Kilode. almost three hours.

The same thing with the Inception film. Dreams are such an intriguing subject, there is a reason we only get them when we are asleep. And that is promptly what I did after about an hour of the film. SLEEP.

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (96) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration / Tboss Bares Her Boobs As Kemen Rinses Her Body After A Dark Bath At BBNaija / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.