Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31874 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by locosis007(m): 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2015
RELIGION IS SECRET WAITING FOR SCIENCE TO UNVEIL... SCIENCE IS HUMANS OPINIONS, A STRONG AND REASONABLE ONE AT THAT WE MUST ADMIT, ALL KNOWLEDGE WAS BORN OUT FROM RELIGIONS, OR WONDERMENT.. "SCIENCE WILL REMAIN ON PROBABILITY LEVEL"...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

So how exactly did life come from the non living ?

very simple, arrange non living nh4 atoms in complex self dependent branches and you've just synthesized protein - an organic compound. bring many of these self dependent branches together and you've got a cell - do that till you've got a super-complex life form

KingEbukasBlog:

1. First ask your self if God lives in the same dimension as us

2. Then ask if He exists in a material/physical world

3. And where the hell did you read that the universe is infinite . There is no proof to that claim . Please stop making inane assumptions cry

i repeat, anything that cannot be seen or measured is completely imaginary and doesn't exist

have you seen your god? if you haven't please stop trying to fabricate "where your imaginary god" might exist.

the number line is a property of the universe, the number line is infinite therefore the universe(existence) is infinite.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
kaybext:
They don't Because of The weakness of religious arguments, explanations, and apologetics and The fact that Religion runs in families. Religion only successful enslaved our mind and thought which scientist call CURIOSITY. Curiosity aid idea, creativity and development

This should be what you mean cool

Proverbs 4:7

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Proverbs 18:1

18 Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.

Proverbs 12:1

12 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish(stupi.d)

Proverbs 2:10-11]

10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;

11 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:

Proverbs 24:5
A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might

Curiosity is the mother of invention and you can't invent when you lack knowledge and have no understanding . cool
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
989900:

The main point in my post is, logic and common sense.

Below are 2 submissions amongst many:

BTW, personally, I am of the Einstein and Ernst Chain school of thought that, we know next to nothing yet about ourselves, organisms, the universe or multiverse.

Our 'knowledge' is ephemeral at best.

that school of thought means it is pointless to study the universe.

i think not
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
Omotolu:
...I don't argue,fight for what I don't know. I don't insult other folk's opinion. That's theirs. And I don't impose my opinion on others. If you won't accept some reasonings until you see signs and wonders,that's your problem and business-that does not imply you are a fool. I am not a fanatic. I believe God should fight for Himself.

did you just say reasonings? like what you believe in is reasonable?

a god that kills babies and children? a god that endorsed slavery ? a god that wiped out civilizations?

and yet you'll go to church on sunday and sing "god is love"

richard dawkings says Christians are no different muslims because of their definition of love means killing people.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

very simple, arrange non living nh4 atoms in complex self dependent branches and you've just synthesized protein - an organic compound. bring many of these self dependent branches together and you've got a cell - do that till you've got a super-complex life for

AbioJoshuabase ...hahahaha ... lmfao

This is serious ... sounds more like magic

So let me ask you . Has this knowledge of life coming forth from the non -living you evidently seem to possess being replicated in the labs . Did you create a living cell and then a super-complex life form ?

i repeat, anything that cannot be seen or measured is completely imaginary and doesn't exist

have you seen your god? if you haven't please stop trying to fabricate "where your imaginary god" might exist.

the number line is a property of the universe, the number line is infinite therefore the universe(existence) is infinite.

You seem to cook up scientific laws of your own grin .
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 5:01pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

that school of thought means it is pointless to study the universe.

i think not

Calm down a little and re-read.

BTW, you seem to employ selective observation/recognition of points -- you go mute on points ur called out.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:01pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Lets pretend I'm a lost sinner, you are trying to win me to god, what would you say to me?

I will ask : "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour?"

So what will be your response ?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 5:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I will ask : "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour?"

You religious folks make the atheists freak out.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
989900:

You religious folks make the atheists freak out.

Deist ... huh ? grin
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 5:09pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

very simple, arrange non living nh4 atoms in complex self dependent branches and you've just synthesized protein - an organic compound. bring many of these self dependent branches together and you've got a cell - do that till you've got a super-complex life form

If your reference is to Miller's work, that only validates creation -- trying to create life -- not per chance.

Left to time, chance, and their chemical properties, the bases of DNA and amino acids of proteins would react in ways that would prevent, not promote, the evolution of life. In the same way, reactions among molecules in Miller’s famous “spark chamber” would destroy any hope of producing life. Living systems must constantly repair the chemical damage done to them, and when biological order loses out to inherent chemical processes, death results.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by adejaresalami1(m): 5:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
[quote author=Joshuabase post=38661728]

*big sigh*

all matter was created at the big bang - now let me tell you a fun fact

did you know that its actually possible to contain an infinite amount of matter/energy in a finite amount of space? this event is what is called "the singularity"

and this was what happened at the big bang. where did all the matter/energy that created the universe come from?

they didn't come from anywhere it's kinda hard to explain if you don't have any knowledge of quantum field fluctuations or black holes.[/quoteIf the world has begun with a single quantum, the notions of space and time would altogether fail to have any meaning at the beginning; they would only begin to have a sensible meaning when the original quantum had been divided into a sufficient number of quanta. If this suggestion is correct, the beginning of the world happened a little before the beginning of space and time.....this theory seems to me like a suggestion wouldn't it be dumb if believe in an assumption when its reason why you debunked He who gave life to that finger you used in typing.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

He was Jewish! Or at least his family was.

This is why he left Germany. He was fleeing from the Nazis.

Some of his letters have been published recently from which we know that he believed in God. You don't have to be Christian to believe in God.

How was he a Jew (his father a full-blooded German, and his mother an half Jew)?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

AbioJoshuabase ...hahahaha ... lmfao

This is serious ... sounds more like magic

So let me ask you . Has this knowledge of life coming forth from the non -living you evidently seem to possess being replicated in the labs . Did you create a living cell and then a super-complex life form ?
http://nypost.com/2015/05/08/scientists-grow-sperm-cells-in-a-lab-for-first-time/

You seem to cook up scientific laws of your own grin .
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwiCpJiimqnIAhXCJXIKHY8dCWg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FInfinity&usg=AFQjCNHbn96IBOobE5_XGS21FmJ3C34fEQ&sig2=DBmSZbRZS2KjcG3RLI8h0w

read the articles - once again, you're coming off as someone who doesnt really know anything about anything
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Laide20(m): 5:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
WELL, SCIENCE IS JUST HUMAN REASONING BUT THE EXISTENCE OF GOD IS BEYOND HUMAN REASONING AND IMAGINATION

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2015
[quote author=adejaresalami1 post=38662795][/quote]

your post makes absolutely no sense
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 04, 2015
989900:

If your reference is to Miller's work, that only validates creation -- trying to create life -- not per chance.

Left to time, chance, and their chemical properties, the bases of DNA and amino acids of proteins would react in ways that would prevent, not promote, the evolution of life. In the same way, reactions among molecules in Miller’s famous “spark chamber” would destroy any hope of producing life. Living systems must constantly repair the chemical damage done to them, and when biological order loses out to inherent chemical processes, death results.

atoms have had 13.8 billion years to dance around in the universe randomly colliding and reacting with other atoms, in all that time - life had to have been created,

starting from complex organic protein compounds and working it's way up to the first prokaryotic cell
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 5:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Deist ... huh ? grin

Sorta . . . you know these things ain't just set in stone for some of us -- I believe in the supernatural too.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:31pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/08/scientists-grow-sperm-cells-in-a-lab-for-first-time/

“At the end of 2014 the company was able to produce fully formed human spermatozoa in the laboratory setting, using patient testicular biopsies containing only immature germ cells, or spermatogonia,” the company said in a statement.

^^^ If this means bringing forth life from the non - living then you need to go back to school grin

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwiCpJiimqnIAhXCJXIKHY8dCWg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FInfinity&usg=AFQjCNHbn96IBOobE5_XGS21FmJ3C34fEQ&sig2=DBmSZbRZS2KjcG3RLI8h0w

read the articles - once again, you're coming off as someone who doesnt really know anything about anything

WTF ... infinity ?

I know what infinity means . And the universe being infinite was proposed by a scientist - that's no proof

You are becoming really desperate lipsrsealed and its pathetic

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 5:31pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I will say no, I don't know who he is, why do I need a personal lord and saviour?

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

atoms have had 13.8 billion years to dance around in the universe randomly colliding and reacting with other atoms, in all that time - life had to have been created,

starting from complex organic protein compounds and working it's way up to the first prokaryotic cell

The presence of Oxygen alone would have destroyed that, "while oxygen is necessary for life, free oxygen would oxidize and thus destroy all organic molecules required for the origin of life", plus some other factors too.

Ironically, evolutionists seem to have a larger 'faith' than creationists for believing in this odds.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

“At the end of 2014 the company was able to produce fully formed human spermatozoa in the laboratory setting, using patient testicular biopsies containing only immature germ cells, or spermatogonia,” the company said in a statement.

^^^ If this means bringing forth life from the non - living then you need to go back to school grin

WTF ... infinity ?

I know what infinity means . And the universe being infinite was proposed by a scientist - that's no proof

You are becoming really desperate lipsrsealed and its pathetic

*big sigh*

technically, germ cells are not alive. they simply contain genetic information. and a cell was built using that genetic information.

building a cell from scratch requires protein. scientists have already been able to synthesize protein artificially from ammonia.

Joshuabase:

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:43pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
I will say no, I don't know who he is, why do I need a personal lord and saviour?

To escape God's judgement
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 5:46pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

To escape God's judgement
Judgement? Judgement for what exactly? Who is god to even start with?

I don't know this jesus, try introducing him atleast.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:47pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Judgement? Judgement for what exactly? Who is god to even start with?

I don't know this jesus, try introducing him atleast.

Seriously ? grin
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 5:49pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Seriously ? grin
Seriously na, remember I'm a sinner who knows nada.

You are the worst evangelist ever.grin

Answer me jor, shey you want to argue with me, I'm here now.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
989900:

The presence of Oxygen alone would have destroyed that, "while oxygen is necessary for life, free oxygen would oxidize and thus destroy all organic molecules required for the origin of life", plus some other factors too.

Ironically, evolutionists seem to have a larger 'faith' than creationists for believing in this odds.

larger faith? we simply refuse to abandon logic and bow to the sky worshiping a being that allegedly lives in it.

regardless of whatever the conditions for cells to fully form - or whether free oxygen would've killed it. we know the primordial cell did form and evolution started because of variations in the environment.

or are you going to say evolution is not real? because there's decades of fossil evidence and anatomical evidence that'll prove you wrong
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

Beautiful piece!
Also your own opinion ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

You say he was not an atheist but I insist he was. I know he was never a Christian. Christianity goes beyond saying nice things about the faith. Everybody knows he doesn't even look Christian!

If I may ask , how does a Christian look ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:
In 1997, the science journal Nature reported that 40 percent of scientists in the U.S. believed in a personal God—the same amount as had believed eighty years prior. However, when those results were filtered to include only members of the National Academy of Sciences, the number dropped to 10 percent. A Pew survey taken in 2009 records that 33 percent of scientists believe in God and another 18 percent in a higher power, compared to 94 percent of the general public. On the list of long-ago scientists who believed in God are Galileo, Descartes, Pascal, and Newton; more modern names have been added, such as Lord Kelvin, Max Planck, and Francis Collins.

So, to say that scientists don't believe in God is a gross generalization. However, it is true that there are fewer believers in God among professionals in the scientific community than among the general public. Why?

For some scientists, atheism is a matter of faith, not of evidence. Hungarian biologist George Klein wrote to a Christian colleague, "I am indeed an atheist. My attitude is not based on science but rather on faith, just as you have your faith. The absence of a creator, the nonexistence of God is my childhood faith, my adult belief, unshakable and holy."

Other scientists deny God's existence because of a commitment to materialism. Francis Crick, a molecular biologist, biophysicist, and neuroscientist, was a materialist to the core. Materialism teaches that there is nothing in the cosmos besides matter and energy. The supernatural does not exist, and there is no such thing as thought, consciousness, or the soul. Crick even went so far as to predict that science would one day find that the act of prayer changes a neurotransmitter in the brain and induces a positive effect on the person praying.

Some scientists reject faith because of personal experiences. Marie Curie, the only scientist to win two Nobel Prizes in two different science categories, became an atheist or agnostic after the deaths of her mother and sister. It's possible that this loss influenced her theological beliefs. Alan Turing, a mathematician and groundbreaking computer scientist, lost faith in God after the death of his first love. Refusing to believe a loving God would allow her death, Turing embraced materialism.

Some scientists simply see no use for God. Paul Dirac was a forefather of quantum mechanics. He believed science was well on its way to describing the universe in detail, and he saw religion as a political tool. String-theorist Brian Greene says, "Most scientists like to operate in the context of economy. If you don't need an explanatory principle, don't invoke it."

Some atheistic scientists come from a religious background and purposefully reject it. Richard Leakey, a paleontologist and conservationist from Kenya, is the grandson of missionaries but was disillusioned with any kind of faith in God.

Some scientists see faith and science as mutually exclusive. James Watson, who with Francis Crick discovered the double-helix structure of DNA, thought belief in God would preclude his love of science. He loved science more than God.

There are scientists who simply don't bother thinking about God. Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Prize laureate for his work in particle physics, said, "The experience of being a scientist makes religion seem fairly irrelevant. Most scientists I know simply don't think about it very much. They don't think about religion enough to qualify as practicing atheists."

Some scientists are religious but deny any reality beyond tradition and ritual. Oliver Sacks, the neurologist portrayed by Robin Williams in the movie Awakenings, loves religion and feels comfortable in both Orthodox Jewish and Catholic settings. He explains that "nature itself seems so wonderful that I don't feel a hunger for any concept beyond it."

In short, scientists reject faith in God for the same reasons anyone else does. Their atheism is built on some foundational choices:

1) They choose to worship "created things rather than the Creator" (Romans 1:25 NIV).
2) They choose to embrace "opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge" (1 Timothy 6:20 NIV).
3) They choose to retain their sin instead of repenting (John 3:19).
4) They choose to limit their definition of truth to what can be empirically discovered. Unfortunately, the truth of God cannot be discovered via the scientific method. "The world through its wisdom did not know him" (1 Corinthians 1:21 NIV).
5) They choose pride over humility (James 4:6).

One other reason for their rejection of God has to do with the enemy of their souls. "The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers" (2 Corinthians 4:4). We must never forget that we are involved in a spiritual battle. The human intellect, no matter how lofty, must be redeemed by Christ.

God gives grace to the humble. "For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards … But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise" (1 Corinthians 1:26-27).

Of course, not all scientists reject God. Dr. Francis S. Collins is the former head of the National Human Genome Research Institute. As a young man, Collins was well on his way to atheism when a woman dying of heart disease confronted him about his beliefs. He realized that none of his scientific work answered the bigger questions in life. Later, a minister gave him C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. Something about the irrefutability of natural moral law resonated with him, and he became a Christian.
the word science is got from the word sense knowledge.

What you use your five sense organs to perceive and interpret things related to your environment. So nothing will ever make sense to a science man when it comes to spirituality. You know why?

The things of the sprit is far more greater than the things of the physical. And we (Christian) operate mostly of things that deal with spirit that make no ordinary sense to a science man.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by musicwriter(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2015
@AnnieOkley.

I didn't meet this thread on time.

Science was invented by people who believed in God. Atheists had no hand in the development of science, they jumped into the science bandwagon when science started making money. A classical case of the devil have come to cheat, kill, and destroy.

The below people invented "empirical" science, and they all believed in God.

1. Isaac Newton (laid the foundation for physics) according to western education.

2. Dmitri Mendeleev (laid the foundation for chemistry). He even got a revelation from God in dream to solve the puzzle of the "periodic table" still in use in learning chemistry today!.

3. Pythagoras (laid the foundation for geometry) and Mathematics. Though, he learnt mathematics here in Africa, but since our history was erased and destroyed due to slavery, there no much record on what school.

So, as you can see atheists had no hand in the foundation of science.

And as @Mindfulness said, neither was Albert Einstein an atheist. Albert Einstein believed that a great mind is involved in the making of nature, just that he didn't believe in a personal bible God. Albert Einstein hated to be associated with atheism.

Great minds believe in God, not the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
chinoasa:
are u a writer?
D way u coordinate words is jut epic... U chop book finally! Choi
One chilled shot of vodka for u cheesy

Thanks, but I'm not a writer.
I'd rather a G&T Citrus or a glass of Red over that, but its getting too cold for any of that anyway, lol. You're far too kind tongue

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / "Buhari, Stop Fighting Corruption" - Prophet Ayodele / What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.