Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,579 members, 7,816,428 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (852734 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by MiddyO(f): 1:07am On Oct 17, 2015
firsttymum:
Just because it's shacking me.... Yes I went all in... I ordered it from sebamed.com for those who might wanna ask

Did shipping to the US cost a lot? And is it cheaper than Naija price? Bought mine in Lagos, not this much sha.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Peebles23(f): 1:57am On Oct 17, 2015
[quote author=ayanuke post=39060674]y looking for a good Paediatric hospital & least for our LO, while we stick with them till I make my trip.[/quote

For Mamas looking for a good ped.hospital, I will recommend shepherd Medical,salvation street off opebi. Quote]

U took the name outta my mouth shepherd rocks really. I used one doctor chinedu For my LO in 2013 the guy is not of this world good!!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shawlar(m): 2:01am On Oct 17, 2015
gaggle:

Are you referring to outreach childrens'' hospital

I don't know the hospital oh,
It is @adebuble that is trying to remember the name...

zoemummy:

Do you mean Lifeline?

cc @Adebuble
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shawlar(m): 2:12am On Oct 17, 2015
olokings:
Aaah ur hubby is pro!...
He knows exactly what he's doing. ..that's even encouraged. ..

The one weh dey scatter class here is tapping right after Hurricane Katrina have gone thru highway 16.

That is the one we are eagerly playing for lecture on ooh. ...
Talk about driving bugatti on an off-road terrain on a stormy night grin.

....it's either the bugatti scatter or the road go scatter. ..all in all. .there must be a scattering. ..lol

LWKMD
...and @olokings strikes again with yet anoda euphemism grin cheesy cheesy

But seriously though @queenestty we they wait that lecture....
but first verify it though cos i cant just imagine how/why
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Adebuble(f): 7:54am On Oct 17, 2015
shawlar:

I don't know the hospital oh,
It is @adebuble that is trying to remember the name...

cc @Adebuble

Both are good children hospital.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by ayanuke: 9:08am On Oct 17, 2015
[quote author=Peebles23 post=39062865][/quote]

They sure do grin, patient and ready to answer all your questions, doctors always available, sometimes I get there around 6am, my son is 5yrs old and I haven't had any complaints so far.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 17, 2015
firsttymum:
A friend of a friend is 25 weeks pregnant.
Now at what point shld she send the change of intent or rather update of intent...
Cos it's clear she didn't state she's preggy and will most definitely raise a flag at d poe. She wanna travel at 30 weeks

Hello Firsty.

Deed is done already. Let's look for a way out.

She should send the change of intent letter but not now. It's too soon to claim she has changed her plans. Let her send the letter in about two weeks, making it four weeks after the interview. She should say they intended going for just vacation, but have decided to stay back and use the opportunity to access good medical care. Let her send to both Abj and Lag and go with the most 'favorable'.

She should travel well prepared, with all the documents to show for every plan made and good cash. The "i've more in my card" statement might not work for her. Her burden of proof must be tight. No room for laxity. She should avoid Houston, Chicago and Philadelphia.

I do hope she wasn't outrighly asked if she was preggy. If she was, i also hope she didn't deny it cos that changes the whole game.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 11:16am On Oct 17, 2015
Now to our Houston POE story. But before I start, I implore you guys to pray against every obstacle before you travel. We were busy praying against the principalities at IAH that we totally forgot about Heathrow where my DW was almost turned back because she flew at 34+weeks even though the policy on BA clearly states 36 weeks, we even called to confirm. Anyway God was working and the plane waited for her for 15 minutes after all other passengers had boarded.

At Houston, CBP sent my DW straight for secondary inspection:

SI: Why are you here?
DW: To have my baby
SI: How far are you?
DW: 34 weeks
SI: Why did you lie about your pregnancy during your first interview?
Wifey would have been stunned at this point if we hadn't prepared for this line of questioning
DW: I was scared because I didn't know at the time that it isn't illegal to give birth in USA. I later found out and told the truth during my subsequent interviews.
The truth is, we found out the stupidity of that initial action on this thread
SI: Is that why you applied 3 times in 5 months?
DW: I was willing to show that barring my initial indiscretion, I am fully prepared with proof that I will pay all fees and I shouldn't have denied in the first place.
SI: Can I see your correspondence with the doctor?
DW handed doctor's correspondence, quotes and budget sheet to the lady.
SI: How much do you have?
DW: $4,600. and the remaining is on my debit card.
SI: Make sure you pay all your bills and collect all your receipts because you may be in another trouble on your way out if you don't. Don't just collect one receipt, ensure you get for every bill that you paid.

That was it.. customs did not even tough her luggage.

Lesson's learnt: If we had come across this thread earlier, maybe it wouldn't take 4 attempts to finally get a "Yes". Secondly, I doubt that the "I didn't know I was pregnant" story works much. Maybe it did/does for some people but that has to be a small percentage. So my 2 cents is, except you really didn't know you were pregnant, be open about your error and show readiness. And pray that you come across a VO or CBP who will not penalize you for telling the truth.

DW is now chilling and sending selfies from Intown suites. Gosh I love that woman

42 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by FinanceFitness: 11:32am On Oct 17, 2015
@firsty - the key is to know whether or not she denied being pregnant as Olokings asked. If she did, then it may be risky sending that email, and if she doesn't send it and she gets to POE, it may affect her there too.

So my recommendation is that she sends the email anyway, but it may backfire. But she'll at least avoid the POE uncertainty.

Hmmmm, this is hard sha.... Either way, it will be risky for her. They take lies seriously... And it may affect renewal.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by olokings(m): 11:52am On Oct 17, 2015
Congrats muchos. ..

Personally I'd rank this session as one of the top 5 most educative POE experience on this thread so far. ....

This is just so cool

LI:
Now to our Houston POE story. But before I start, I implore you guys to pray against every obstacle before you travel. We were busy praying against the principalities at IAH that we totally forgot about Heathrow where my DW was almost turned back because she flew at 34+weeks even though the policy on BA clearly states 36 weeks, we even called to confirm. Anyway God was working and the plane waited for her for 15 minutes after all other passengers had boarded.

At Houston, CBP sent my DW straight for secondary inspection:

SI: Why are you here?
DW: To have my baby
SI: How far are you?
DW: 34 weeks
SI: Why did you lie about your pregnancy during your first interview?
Wifey would have been stunned at this point if we hadn't prepared for this line of questioning
DW: I was scared because I didn't know at the time that it isn't illegal to give birth in USA. I later found out and told the truth during my subsequent interviews. The truth is, we found out the stupidity of that initial action on this thread
SI: Is that why you applied 3 times in 5 months?
DW: I was willing to show that barring my initial indiscretion, I am fully prepared with proof that I will pay all fees and I shouldn't have denied in the first place.
SI: Can I see your correspondence with the doctor?
DW handed doctor's correspondence, quotes and budget sheet to the lady.
SI: How much do you have?
DW: $4,600. and the remaining is on my debit card.
SI: Make sure you pay all your bills and collect all your receipts because you may be in another trouble on your way out if you don't. Don't just collect one receipt, ensure you get for every bill that you paid.

That was it.. customs did not even tough her luggage.

Lesson's learnt: If we had come across this thread earlier, maybe it wouldn't take 4 attempts to finally get a "Yes". Secondly, I doubt that the "I didn't know I was pregnant" story works much. Maybe it did/does for some people but that has to be a small percentage. So my 2 cents is, except you really didn't know you were pregnant, be open about your error and show readiness.

DW is now chilling and sending selfies from Intown suites. Gosh I love that woman

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shrekandfiona: 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2015
@firsttymum, that qwesion hard o. Anyway modath & olokings don do am justice. I honestly don't know a way out of a misrepresentation. She can try L.A as suggested and she should pray hard
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shrekandfiona: 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2015
LI:
Now to our Houston POE story. But before I start, I implore you guys to pray against every obstacle before you travel.

Gosh I love that woman

Awwww smiley so sweet at the bolded

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by nefertitiram: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2015
LI:

bout your error and show readiness. And pray that you come across a VO or CBP who will not penalize you for telling the truth.

grin grin My favorite line!

As for receipts, it's likely her profile has been flagged to show receipts on her way OUT of US, just like Modath, so she has to have all receipts in her handbag!

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 12:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
nefertitiram:

As for receipts, it's likely her profile has been flagged to show receipts on her way OUT of US, just like Modath, so she has to have all receipts in her handbag!

I thought so too. Thanks for pointing it out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by funkebold: 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hello all, after lots of contemplation at whether to share my experience or not to I have decided to share. I know lots of people will judge me, insult and criticise me but I have decided I don't care my major reason for sharing is for others to learn.
Myself and dh had our first interview in September 23rd which was in lagos,  I went there with so much faith  and burden of proof , and ready for them cos of all  the I have read here.

Us : Good morning
Vo: no reply
Vo: can I have your passport please, why are you going to US
Us: vacation and childbirth
Vo: how far gone are you madam
Me: with a big smile I replied,  im just 33weeks today
Vo: no airline will allow u fly at 33weeks
Us: delta airline and some other airline would allow me fly and moreover im travelling immediately
Vo: sir where do u work
Dh: blah blah
Vo: how much do u earn
Dh: blah blah
Vo: I can see u use to work maam , where and what do you do there
Me: blah blah blah
Vo : have you both travelled outside the country before
Us: no
Vo: type type type type den she says unfortunately ...........
Dh was so depress, we got into the car and he said let's pray and he thank God all thru
I informed a friend and we were advice to reapply  in abj asap and also someone told her my last interview won't be seen so abj vo wont know about my interview in lagos
Then we started the process , travelled to abj had my interview on 30th of September , this time I went alone
Vo: good morning, how are today
Me: good morning im fine (this time I was not smiling I was practically nervous)
Vo: why are you travelling
Me: childbirth
Vo: how far gone are you
Me: my heart started beating fast den I made the greatest mistake ever I lied and I back dated with the mindset that she won't see my last interview
Vo: your answer is so precise....started typing again den she looked at me and said ma how far gone are you
Me : I answered again back dating
Vo: you visited us last week and you said you were 33weeks gone and now you are saying this , so im going to ask you for the last time,  how far gone are you
Me: den I started shaking and still stick to my lies and she just looked at me and ask oda questions den reply with unfortunately

I was angry with myself,  I shouldn't have lied, she gave me opportunity to say the truth but could not bring myself to it.

Then I decided I was not going to leave abj dt I will try again, my friend gave me the confident and told me to be open minded dt dey mght not give me but we shld just try , dh was worried cos of my state and the emotional trauma I was putting myself through but he later agree I go if not for any thing but to set my record straight and say the truth. Then I went for another interview in Oct 8
I was praying the same vo should interview so I can be apologetic and all but unfortunately she wasn't the one who did
Vo: good morning can I have your passport
Me: good morning
Vo: why are you travelling
Me: childbirth
Vo: hmmmm is will be quiet easy , can I v ur doc correspondence
Me: gave him
Vo: how far gone are you madam
Me 35weeks today
Vo: do u think any airline  would allow you fly
Me: yes, I have contacted delta airline and they said they would allow fly but I should come with my doc fit to fly that they do not have restrictions for pregnant women
Vo: okay.....I can see here you are a home maker who is sponsoring your trip
Me: my husband
Vo: where  does he work
Me: blah blah
Vo : as what
Me : blah blah
Vo: how much does he earn
Me : blah blah
Vo : what is his rank there
Me: not sure but I know he works as so so and so
Vo : went through the doc document,  type type and type,  then he said the unfortunately again but this time  he didn't give me the green paper and was wishing me well and my unborn baby.
I left there sad after all money spent and stress, came back to lagos that same day hubby was super excited to see me and kept calling me strong woman that I could face them 3times and still get rejected that after that first rejection for him he is done .
Waiting  patiently to have my baby here in naija though painful but what more can I do than to thank God for life nd gud health

21 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
^^^ Awwwwwwwww. sad

Please don't beat yourself up. I've a friend who went thrice, told the truth the whole time and was never granted. These things can swing both ways.

I've got to say; I really like your courage to share. *Hugs* kiss

9 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by anonymousmum: 1:09pm On Oct 17, 2015
funkebold:
Hello all, after lots of contemplation at whether to share my experience or not to I have decided to share. I know lots of people will judge me, insult and criticise me but I have decided I don't care my major reason for sharing is for others to learn.

Thank you for sharing. It must be hard. I am sure that a number of people would decide to keep quiet but you still came back to share. I admire your courage.

Just something for people who are unsuccessful in this yankee baby endeavour for some reason (visa denial, POE rejection, premature baby etc), have you considered investing the entire amount in an irrevocable trust fund for your child?

I had decided that if for any reason I have my future child in Nigeria (which would be free with my health insurance), I would set aside minimum of US$15-20k and invest in a trust fund that generates a fixed amount (10-12% returns per year) for the child, never to be touched until the child is 16/18 years. I will also commit to investing a minimum amount every year to add to the fund.

This will help to secure the child's future and help to guarantee a higher education outside the country.

funkebold you can consider this route. Hugs

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2015
anonymousmum:
Just something for people who are unsuccessful in this yankee baby endeavour for some reason (visa denial, POE rejection, premature baby etc), have you considered investing the entire amount in an irrevocable trust fund for your child?

I had decided that if for any reason I have my future kid child in Nigeria (which would be free with my health insurance), I would set aside minimum of US$15-20k and invest in a trust fund that generates a fixed amount (10-12% returns per year) for the child, never to be touched until the child is 16/18 years. I will also commit to investing a minimum amount every year to add to the fund.

Nice one. This is worth considering even for people with US pali children.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by modath(f): 1:39pm On Oct 17, 2015
nefertitiram:

See ya face like dem flag Mo, cheesy grin,

But i no know wetin i do all dem POE, if they are not scattering my braids,dusting my hands for sontin, sontin, they are "plessing" my bum to see if i have any angel dust hidden somewhere ...... grin

Meanwhile my DH will be asked to step aside while i am being molested.. wink

That receipt is with my credentials, titles& other vital life docs, Dem POE folks nor like my face.. cry

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by ayanuke: 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2015
[quote author=funkebold post=39073958][/quote]

Thanks for sharing, I must say you are one strong woman. For everything God has a purpose and he will perfect all that concerns you. They have records whether it's Abuja or Lagos or you applied and was denied several years ago.

Cheer up.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by uchetobi(f): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2015

Thank you for coming back to share. Same thing happened to my friend as in she had three rejections but was able to have her second baby in the USA.

Do have a safe delivery, and don't stress too much. God has a reason for everything. big hugs
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by omogedudu99: 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2015

@Funkebold. It is well. I can only imagine how you feel right now.

I remember how devastated I was when my US visa application was denied before I got married. With all the travel history i thot i had. I was so upset I swore not to go near the US embassy again.

I only picked up courage in 2013 to apply again when I discovered this forum and got information. Even at that I tried not to be too hopeful in case I was denied again. I personally don't handle rejections very well.

From ur report of the first interview, I think the VO picked on the info that you were no longer working. She could have felt that u may decide not to return after having the baby. She just used the gestational age of ur preg as an excuse and unfortunately that's what you were focused on at the subsequent interviews that made you lie.

I know you are trying to secure a better future for your child but it's only God that determines every person's destiny. There's no guarantee that children born in the US will be more successful than those born in Nigeria. It's not even as if America is so perfect....look at the growing moral decay and racism.

I'd advise you to turn your pain into passion to pray over this ur baby. That God will perfect all that concerns him/her whether born in Nigeria or US.

It shall be well with you and your family.

Apologies for my long post.

Blessings

24 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by uchetobi(f): 3:17pm On Oct 17, 2015
nefertitiram:

Speaking of receipts, I mentioned that I was asked to leave my receipts during exit at Houston but didn't.

Well was invited to the embassy after trying to go through Dropbox. All they did was calculate whether I was pregnant during my last interview. Fortunately I wasn't so I was reissued the visa,
they did not even check my receipts.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Lialian: 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2015
LI:
Now to our Houston POE story. But before I start, I implore you guys to pray against every obstacle before

congratulations on your poe, pls which hospital did you use of ur poe correspondant? how much was on your budget sheet. ? Did u show a bank statement?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by twingirls: 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2015
LI:

Congrats. Expecting the next good news grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by nefertitiram: 5:21pm On Oct 17, 2015
Talk true, I heard you were Lamar's dealer

Kikikikikiki grin

modath:

See ya face like dem flag Mo, cheesy grin,

But i no know wetin i do all dem POE, if they are not scattering my braids,dusting my hands for sontin, sontin, they are "plessing" my bum to see if i have any angel dust hidden somewhere ...... grin

Meanwhile my DH will be asked to step aside while i am being molested.. wink

That receipt is with my credentials, titles& other vital life docs, Dem POE folks nor like my face.. cry
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Joleenluv: 5:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
twingirls:

@ Joleenluv and peebles. So sorry about your refusal. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's favour , real divine favour We eagerly await your success transcript

Hello @twingirls, do you think going to Abuja would make much difference as I was refused in Lagos. Right now the available interview dates are not encouraging.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LadyGuinivere: 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2015
@FTM the key to answering that question is what olokings said. Was she asjked if she was prenany during the interview.if no, then she's golden
That being said, all her doctor' s Correspondence must commence AFTER the interview to support whatever she'l say in the change of intent and poe
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2015
You guys aside boss revolution. You can use Ringo to call naija... Download the app. It's superb
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
Ladyguinivere
Olokings
Phema
Shawlar
Modath
Shrekandfiona
Financefitness

Will have to ask her if she denied being pregnant... Or else will just munch ur replies to her. Main while I've told her to read this thread
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 6:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
MiddyO:

Did shipping to the US cost a lot? And is it cheaper than Naija price? Bought mine in Lagos, not this much sha.
i dont get what u mean by shipping to the US. I'm presently in the US, I ordered from their site, and shipping was free

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.